• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince is out

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I love Dragon Quest Monsters. And my username is based on the main character of this title, who is originally from DQIV. So this was an insta buy.

It has over 500 monsters, which should be cool.

Necrosaro is a cooler name than Psaro the Manslayer.

Pejo

Heard it got destroyed in localization, but other than a bunch of censored costumes, I'm not sure what they're referring to.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

NecrosaroIII

Heard it got destroyed in localization, but other than a bunch of censored costumes, I'm not sure what they're referring to.
So far it seems par for course for modern dq localizations. But I'm early. The dub is kinda bad but japanese voice acting is fine

Hudo

I know that there are quite a few DQ fans who really waited a long-ass time for the next proper DQM game. I played the demo and was just not feeling it. However, I am beyond excited for any news on DQ3: HD-2D and DQ12.

Famitsu review was very positive (it got a 36, same score than Super Mario Wonder) but we all know the Japanese just adore their Dragon Quest. Still interested, I beat Treasures and it can't be worse than that.

• Thoughtful

Rran

I don't really get why Treasures gets such a bad rap. It's a fun action/adventure game with some pretty cool environments.
Weren't the covered-up outfits in the Japanese version as well, in order to get a Cero A rating?

I don't really get why Treasures gets such a bad rap. It's a fun action/adventure game with some pretty cool environments.

Weren't the covered-up outfits in the Japanese version as well, in order to get a Cero A rating?
I found it extremely boring and samey, but no accounting for taste!

NecrosaroIII

After playing for a few hours, I'm having a lot of fun with it. At the very least I can already tell it's better than the Joker subscribes and probably caravan hearts. It feels like the most pure fun since 2.

Yes it feels a bit budgety, but there is still depth and care here. Not a cash grab

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

One of the things I like is how quickly the game gets out a wide variety of monsters to you as a player. I'm only in the first area, but the diversity has been great.

Mr. Steve

Neo Member
Game worthwhile if you have not really played any of the mainline entries and only dabbled in Dragon Quest Builders and are a fan of Pokemon?

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Bashir > McCoy
s4XGH.gif

• LOL

NecrosaroIII

Game worthwhile if you have not really played any of the mainline entries and only dabbled in Dragon Quest Builders and are a fan of Pokemon?
I think so. Do you like the designs of monsters from DQ? If yes, then absolutely.

There is more of an emphasis on Monster breeding than actually capturing, which I enjoy. Most of the monsters are obtained via breeding.

I decided to check this out. They don’t even try to make the “modern sensibilities” costumes look natural. For example, they take the standard belly dancer outfit and just slap some shorts and a tank top underneath. It’s absurd.

NecrosaroIII

After playing for a while - best DQM since DQM 2 (although admittedly I didn't play the 3ds remakes of 1 and 2).

More than makes up for lackluster Jokers

Saber

Gold Member
I was already waiting to be reeased.
Totally in since I was fan of DQ monsters since the GBC version. The DS version was amazing too.
Its a cool fun little game that are ages beyond pokemon. Its just too bad as a brand is not as strong.

NecrosaroIII

In settings, you can turn on Psaro's voice so that he grunts and stuff. He also says a few lines when you scout monsters.

His japanese voice actor is Jotaro Kujo

NecrosaroIII

I'm in the finale circle of Conquest. This game has been pure DQIV fan service. I love it

Andyliini

A patch for the game was just released yesterday. I had a quick run with it, and it seems to help with frame rate problems, you can also zoom directly to synthesize room. I did not see anything else, of official patch notes, but I'll keep digging.

Top Bottom