• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest series creator reassures fans that Dragon Quest 12 is still in development

20240527-31499-header.jpg

On the Dragon Quest series’ 38th anniversary, creator Yuji Horii took to X talk about the upcoming Dragon Quest 12: The Flames of Fate. Not only did he quell fans’ worries about the game’s development status, but he also revealed that the latest entry in the beloved RPG series will be a suitable send-off for its two longtime collaborators who passed away.

Translation – Yuji Horii’s post: Everyone, thank you very much for all your congratulatory messages. Dragon Quest 12’s status has been causing you a lot of worry, but actually, I just had a meeting about it. I cannot reveal the details yet, but we want to create a game that is worthy of the final contributions of the two people who passed away. I’m doing my best!

Dragon Quest PR account’s post: Dragon Quest 1 was released 38 years ago today. Today (May 27) is also known as Dragon Quest Day. Dragon Quest 1 is the title that made the RPG genre popular in Japan. In the game, a hero from the Erdrick bloodline sets out on an adventure to defeat the Dragonlord who stole the “Ball of Light” and save the world.

Replying to the official Dragon Quest PR account’s message marking the series’ May 27 birthday, Horii confirmed that Dragon Quest 12 is still being made. The “two people who passed away” are of course Dragon Quest character designer Akira Toriyama and soundtrack composer Koichi Sugiyama, who have both worked on every single entry in series to date. Known for the manga Dragon Ball, Toriyama also brought his distinctive style to characters and enemy monsters in Dragon Quest and other video games until his death in March 2024 at the age of 68. This included Slime- the tear-drop shaped monster that is the series’ mascot. Sugiyama, who was instrumental in creating the games’ iconic soundtracks, died aged 90 in 2021. He was the first composer to record music for a video game with a live orchestra, lending the RPG series a grand and epic atmosphere.

The work of both men will be featured in the upcoming Dragon Quest 12. Recent events have caused Dragon Quest fans to worry about the upcoming title’s fate. Dragon Quest 12 was first announced in May 2021, however Square Enix’s recent financial losses and new business plan have led to concerns that the game would be cancelled. In his message above, Yuji Horii states that work on the title is still going ahead and seems determined to make a game that will honor the legacy of the two men responsible for Dragon Quest’s iconic art style and music.

Source - Automaton West

Last edited:

Hudo

I reckon the reason why we haven't seen anything is because Nintendo and Square have a deal because Nintendo want DQ12 for Switch 2.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong since I want everyone to be able to play DQ. No more exclusivity crap. Should be on all platforms.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Good news here is that SQE no longer OK with console exclusives so there won't be BS like with the Switch version of XI which was downgraded for all platforms visually, not to mention other stuff.
Yeah, having XI S look worse than vanilla XI was weird, to say the least. At least on PC you can kinda fix it with mods.

Reminds me of this:

M0Ux13Z.jpeg

I'm talking about Final Fantasy 16 being basically a WRPG. I don't want Dragon Quest 12 to be another Final Fantasy 16

Most WRPGs bore me to death

The only ones I loved was The Witcher Trilogy, Mass Effect Trilogy and Fable Trilogy

BTW I prefer those JRPG Protag way more over those boring ass Western Protags

Last edited:

Sentenza

I'm talking about Final Fantasy 16 being basically a WRPG. I don't want Dragon Quest 12 to be another Final Fantasy 16

Most WRPGs bore me to death

The only ones I loved was The Witcher Trilogy, Mass Effect Trilogy and Fable Trilogy

BTW I prefer those JRPG Protag way more over those boring ass Western Protags
As far as I know the main problem with FFXVI was being mostly a linear action game, with very little room for exploration or choices and consequences... Which isn't exactly what I think of if I think "WRPG".

As far as I know the main problem with FFXVI was being mostly a linear action game, with very little room for exploration or choices and consequences... Which isn't exactly what I think of if I think "WRPG".

Well I don't have a PS5 and ain't planning on getting one

When it comes to JRPG I mostly play for the gameplay

When it comes to WRPGs I would rather read a Fantasy/Sci Fi book than play any of them

I find them boring most of the time

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Reminds me of this:

M0Ux13Z.jpeg
Part of Dragon Quest's appeal, at least to me, is it's simplicity. Just some people on a comfy adventure, killing some bad guys and fixing people's problems.

Ofc WRPGs have better writting, but a DQ game with such developed writting and adult tone would feel weird as hell.

Part of Dragon Quest's appeal, at least to me, is it's simplicity. Just some people on a comfy adventure, killing some bad guys and fixing people's problems.

Ofc WRPGs have better writting, but a DQ game with such developed writting and adult tone would feel weird as hell.

I would hate it so much

Since it wouldn't feel like Dragon Quest

That poster just felt disingenuous as F and was trying to start an argument with me when I just said I hoped it wasn't like a WRPG

Last edited:

Sentenza

Fair. Opinions and all that.
Dragon Quest appeal is simply inexistent to me.

I attempted to play a bunch of them since VII and every time I unfailingly gave up after 15 hours or so because the gameplay loop (more than any story-related issue) was boring me out of my mind.
As repetitive and grindy as they come.

That poster just felt disingenuous as F and was trying to start an argument with me when I just said I hoped it wasn't like a WRPG
Yeah the meme he posted is disingenuous indeed.
Literally more accurate and less disingenuous than YOUR generalizations about the two genres, to be honest.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I would hate it so much

Since it wouldn't feel like Dragon Quest

That poster just felt disingenuous as F and was trying to start an stupid argument with me when I just said I hoped it wasn't like a WRPG

Can't speak for Golden Sun nor Suikoden since I haven't played them, but Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest XI both have pretty cool stories, with many surprises and neat concepts. Sure, they aren't as complicated nor developed as the WRPGs on the other side, but I don't think they were trying to.

I attempted to play a bunch of them since VII and every time I unfailingly gave up after 15 hours or so because the gameplay loop (more than any story-related issue) was boring me out of my mind.
Yeah the gameplay is very simple, combat isn't hard in those games aside from a few bossfights maybe.

For me, the hook in those games in the pacing. Every town, castle or city you go there's some new story, characters and events, and I can't wait to finish one of those little stories to go to the next place and see what happens there.

Later games, specially after VII, have slow paced begginings tho, which is why I recommend starting those games with IV, V or VI on the NDS to get the feel of how they are and what they offer. Plus they are way shorter than the later games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Can't speak for Golden Sun nor Suikoden since I haven't played them, but Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest XI both have pretty cool stories, with many surprises and neat concepts. Sure, they aren't as complicated nor developed as the WRPGs on the other side, but I don't think they were trying to.

Yeah I focus more on the gameplay When it comes to JRPG

Love Star Ocean Games gameplay

But when I love a JRPG story, it just hits differently

Chrono Games
All the Xeno Games especially Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Tales of The Abyss

Etc etc etc

I don't care if the story is linear, the stories for JRPGs can be fantastic. I prefer that to WRPG "Complex Stories" and their gameplay are boring and stale 90 Percent of the time too

My Two Cents

Ah, OK. You had me worried for a moment (I am still planning to play Second Story R at some point)

Dude Second Story R is fantastic

I'm one of those people who prefer 3D Star Ocean to 2D Star Ocean and find the OG Second Story to be good but a bit overrated. Star Ocean 3 is still my favorite but the HD-2D remake of Second Story shot it up to my Top 5 favorite when it comes to Star Ocean games

Hudo

Dude Second Story R is fantastic

I'm one of those people who prefer 3D Star Ocean to 2D Star Ocean and find the OG Second Story to be good but a bit overrated. Star Ocean 3 is still my favorite but the HD-2D remake of Second Story shot it up to my Top 5 favorite when it comes to Star Ocean games
Let me put it this way: The demo of Second Story R managed to make me think "Huh. Maybe there's actually something to Star Ocean after all. This shit is actually pretty fun." So, whoever at Square decided to put a demo out for this did good.

Let me put it this way: The demo of Second Story R managed to make me think "Huh. Maybe there's actually something to Star Ocean after all. This shit is actually pretty fun." So, whoever at Square decided to put a demo out for this did good.

You should try out the 3D Star Oceans games too

Star Ocean 4 and 6 are on Steam

I have them already installed on my Steamdeck so I can play them on the go

StereoVsn

That’s fair, DQ series has been pure nostalgia and really that’s what it sells on. It reminds one of childhood games and simpler times so to speak. DQ XI had a pretty great story and a great set of characters overall as a bonus.

That said WRPGs have plenty of amazing titles. Hell, BG3 just came out recently, Pathfinder, Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader and Disco Elysium were all great as well. And we have Kingdom Come 2 on horizon.

StereoVsn

Hmm.... wasn't the last one badly received?

Well. Ok, then.
Frankly the only one worth playing is Star Ocean 2 Remake and maybe Star Ocean 1 Remaster.

Star Ocean 3 went off the rails, 4 is trash, 5 is mediocre and 6 is okish but not great.

However, SO2 Remake is absolutely a great game if you like old school pixel art and new 2D-3D graphics.

Frankly the only one worth playing is Star Ocean 2 Remake and maybe Star Ocean 1 Remaster.

Star Ocean 3 went off the rails, 4 is trash, 5 is mediocre and 6 is okish but not great.

However, SO2 Remake is absolutely a great game if you like old school pixel art and new 2D-3D graphics.

Star Ocean 3 is my favorite
Star Ocean 4 I loved
Star Ocean 5 is bad except for the hot ass Witch
Star Ocean 6 is fantastic and is my second favorite Star Ocean behind Star Ocean 3

Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:
Things more likely to occur than a mainline Dragon Quest title becoming westernized:
  • Hell freezing over
  • Pigs flying
  • 1+1 equaling 3

This being current year SquareEnix, it's looking likely

Look at Final Fantasy 16

Look at how they said they are going into a different "mature" direction with Dragon Quest 12

• Thoughtful

Saber

Lol it has being such time that I even forgot this existed.
I got no problems, but good lord...abit of updates about the game wouldn't hurt. And please let that thing be untouched by the western miasma of disiase.

Last edited:

Rran

That WRPG/JRPG meme posted earlier is pretty dumb. Not only does it cherry-pick examples from both genres and ignore any contrary to them (such as the protagonists from FF, Octopath, Skies of Arcadia, etc), but the entire premise is faulty. Japanese games have used player-insert ciphers since the mid-80s with Link and the hero of DQ1. It's not necessarily a bad thing either, because the best JRPGs still deliver plenty of good writing, storytelling, and personality even with the audience surrogate protagonists.

Looking forward to DQ12. I'll miss Toriyama and Sugiyama but Horii knows what makes this series great.

StereoVsn

That WRPG/JRPG meme posted earlier is pretty dumb. Not only does it cherry-pick examples from both genres and ignore any contrary to them (such as the protagonists from FF, Octopath, Skies of Arcadia, etc), but the entire premise is faulty. Japanese games have used player-insert ciphers since the mid-80s with Link and the hero of DQ1. It's not necessarily a bad thing either, because the best JRPGs still deliver plenty of good writing, storytelling, and personality even with the audience surrogate protagonists.

Looking forward to DQ12. I'll miss Toriyama and Sugiyama but Horii knows what makes this series great.
I will definitely miss one of them and not the one they composed the music after his greedy ass messing up XI.

mortal

How is FFXVI basically a WRPG? Its battle system is ripped straight out of Devil May Cry, a Japanese game, which is unsurprising considering the Japanese battle system director.
Its art direction is European fantasy inspired like most of the classic FF games since the very 1st game, much like Dragon Quest games are. So it can't be the art design that makes it WRPG.

It's not an open-world like The Witcher or The Elder Scrolls games or an ARPG like Diablo. Calling it a WRPG makes zero sense.

Last edited:

mortal

For some of us, calling it a RPG makes zero sense.

50 cent laughing GIF

(I know technically it is, but damn are the RPG elements barebones as fuck)
Agreed, they are bare bones and it's more of an action game than an RPG, which I enjoyed.
If it's not even an RPG, then it certainly can't be called a WRPG either.

Hudo

I wonder if Toriyama (RIP) managed to finish the design of the hero (and maybe companions, if there are any).

• Thoughtful

Sentenza

That WRPG/JRPG meme posted earlier is pretty dumb. Not only does it cherry-pick examples from both genres and ignore any contrary to them
Cry me a fucking river.
The obnoxious whine about the alleged superiority of JRPG characters and how they "didn't need to adjust for player choices and so were able to deliver a compelling narrative" has been around for two fucking decades, and that's being conservative.

Poking fun at it is only fair in light of all the countless examples proving the claim questionable.

Also, mortal mortal hit the nail right on the head. Whatever complaints people may have with FF XVI, blaming it to be "too much of a WRPG" is borderline delusional.

Last edited:
Top Bottom