• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Looks like a Dragon Quest game alright. I just wish you could cheer on your team mates while in battle. The Kotaku guy found someone to team up with at least.

I'm confident we'll get the Wii U version in English, it'll be a looooong wait but it'll prolly be much improved too (kinks ironed out etc).

And who knows what the future will hold after that, as a FFXI veteran I at least think SE are again in for the long haul because there is so much money to be made! DQ doesn't have the same draw FF does outside of Japan, and if it was only on Wii U etc would limit its growth depending on how that does but I guess its hard to judge. Japan population could be enough to 'pay for' the English release effort at least? Heh.

You would have to import the game to begin with and all the stores you can choose from are cancelling foreign orders.

Thats dumb, if I was rich I'd want a Wii copy just to have for my collection. I actually sold a PS2 copy of FFXI in my store the other week to someone here in NZ - the game was completely worthless to him playability wise (no NTSC console) but he just wanted it to go on the shelf next to the other ones lol.

It seems there are some DQX listings on eBay already, but its pricey as expected.

If I ever get to play it I'm totally going a fish lady character!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Hmm - started to play, but a bit late due to work etc. Now i'm off to bed.

Still doing the prologue - so can't comment on the game for real but so far it's pretty "bog standard" :/

extralite

You would have to import the game to begin with and all the stores you can choose from are cancelling foreign orders.

Mine was shipped today by Amazon (to a Japanese address). I should get it in 1~2 weeks time. Will have a VPN in place until then. Nice side effect: I finally get to see Nintendo Video and Itsu no Ma ni TV.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Have they ever mentionned if the Wii U version will be a big graphical upgrade or if it'll be the same game running at 720p/1080p with crisper graphics?

Also, game looks good to me so far, definitely getting an FFXI vibe from the stream I am watching and even though I haven't played FFXI in a very long time (blame WOW) I am seriously considering getting this when it comes out here!

There really is an incredible amount of clunkiness to this game right now, hoping they do some heavy patching to fix stuff before it ends up over here. It kind of reminds me of how ffxi was when it first came out and that's not really the memory I would like going into the game should I play it.

The animations are in really bad shape in particular and kill any personal excitement I could have pretty quickly.

I honestly think thats PR BS. It's just going to look like the Wii version, except it's in HD. No new graphical style.

Considering the game's artstyle is great, with added antialiasing and a higher resolution plus no lag and better draw distance, it'll look really beautiful.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Considering the game's artstyle is great, with added antialiasing and a higher resolution plus no lag and better draw distance, it'll look really beautiful.

Just like FFXI on PS2 compared to the later released XBOX 360 version I guess, although I don't remember if it looked that much better.

Music is pretty cool though.
I'm just letting the stream up so I can listen to it.

Also for the"Dooodoooduu" (magic) or "Tutututuuuututuuuuu" (level up) sounds.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Stream 1 is in a nice area now, also with different races in the party (edit: they left the place/party), it's night time again though.

The draw distance is pretty decent for Wii, you can see the enemies in the fields fighting other parties in the distance sometimes.

It seems like a fully featured MMO so far, and the Dragon Quest/overall JRPG-like twist could make it enjoyable vs WoW-likes.

Shurayuki

Mine was shipped today by Amazon (to a Japanese address). I should get it in 1~2 weeks time. Will have a VPN in place until then. Nice side effect: I finally get to see Nintendo Video and Itsu no Ma ni TV.

Hah nice, a vpn with enough bandwith for gaming probably isn't cheap I guess, props to you! (I only use the free Packetx thing for 3ds :3)

You can get Nintendo Video pretty easily through a bunch of things btw (easiest is probably a DNS setting, not sure if linking "nintendosystemtemp" is cool here? they have many methods)

plushcardinal25 ^from someplace else^ said:
This is the easiest way for anyone who lives outside the US to get videos from Nintendo Video.
Just change the Primary DNS on your 3DS to 184.22.4.38 and the Secondary DNS to 184.22.4.37. And thats it!
This also works for Japanese 3DS systems.

I don't think it downloads in sleep mode though, doesn't seem to do for me :( Alternatively I make an access point and use Packetx vpn but it's too slow, no money for a real vpn x.x Should be completely legal, but tell me if it's not cool then I'll edit. You can also easily get Nintendo Zone at home too, but not the Japanese ones....

Itsunoma is finished though btw, no more 3D Idoling :( (I don't even like AKB, the nature vids were nice though).

Oh yeah eh...DQX...eh...screw them and their IP blocking ways! Also got that "pay!" thing on Justin just now, screw them too, today is screwing day!

LiK

Played the beta for maybe 10 hours? Planning to play the real deal for 5238.75 times that..when I get back to Japan. So sad this launched when I was out of town! I'll start playing (catch-up) in a week.

Until then, may the light shine upon thee...

(No really, let it blind you -- at least until the Wii U version comes out. Art direction in this game is very nice but woo man are the graphics ugly as sin on Wii. Still gonna play the crap out of it tho.)

waiting for full on impressions on 8-4 Play

Forever

Banned
I went and added races and classes to the OP, if anyone can help me label the images themselves I'd appreciate it.

Stream 1 is in a nice area now, also with different races in the party (edit: they left the place/party), it's night time again though.

The draw distance is pretty decent for Wii, you can see the enemies in the fields fighting other parties in the distance sometimes.

It seems like a fully featured MMO so far, and the Dragon Quest/overall JRPG-like twist could make it enjoyable vs WoW-likes.

Yeah it actually looks pretty good.

Just like FFXI on PS2 compared to the later released XBOX 360 version I guess, although I don't remember if it looked that much better.

It does, I went from PS2 for years -> 360 version when it came out and while the PS2 one was still playable, you'd never want to go back after playing a much nicer, cleaner looking version (whether it be PC or 360) IMO. Even if its just the same basic thing but 'better'.

DQX will follow suit I guess, higher res, much sharper, crisper graphics, probably run smoother on Wii U depending on how much effort SE put into the 'port' lol.

Having said that they were hyping it looking amazing so who knows what they're doing, my guess is just the Wii version but upped a lot.

Aeana

I really wish I could play it. This is the first DQ game I haven't gotten on launch day since DQ5.
Whoever actually tries to play it with a VPN on a softmodded NA Wii, let me know how it goes.

Forever

Banned
DQX will follow suit I guess, higher res, much sharper, crisper graphics, probably run smoother on Wii U depending on how much effort SE put into the 'port' lol.

The Wii U controller also eliminates the need for the USB keyboard. If they're smart, that is.

I remember I use to play PSO with:

ninten18.jpg

I felt like a big shot lol, my first online adventure game thing and I was like yeeea gotta have all the tools, such great memories.

Think eventually I just started using a regular controller but still having that plugged in to type shit haha.

I'm still iffy on this game right now. Maybe I'm still bitter because it isn't the DQ I-VIII type experience I was hoping for, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of a doubt. The flat terrain is just killing me though, and I'm typically not a graphics kind of guy.

Also, has anyone fought a boss yet? Interested to hear what the music sounds like for bosses.

Aeana

I'm still iffy on this game right now. Maybe I'm still bitter because it isn't the DQ I-VIII type experience I was hoping for, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of a doubt. The flat terrain is just killing me though, and I'm typically not a graphics kind of guy.

Also, has anyone fought a boss yet? Interested to hear what the music sounds like for bosses.
I've seen two different bosses. The boss music is all right, although not among Sugiyama's best. At least it has a unique song, though. Lots of prior DQ music is in the game. Event scenes like to play Elegy from DQ4, for example.

Gravijah

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20020523/ninten18.jpg[IMG]

I felt like a big shot lol, my first online adventure game thing and I was like yeeea gotta have all the tools, such great memories.

Think eventually I just started using a regular controller but still having that plugged in to type shit haha.[/QUOTE]

i still have mine somewhere. i never was able to use it because i don't think the GC modem was compatible with AOL.

I've seen two different bosses. The boss music is all right, although not among Sugiyama's best. At least it has a unique song, though. Lots of prior DQ music is in the game. Event scenes like to play Elegy from DQ4, for example.

Well, that is disappointing to hear. Hopefully the Wii U version has an orchestrated soundtrack. Dragon Quest VIII's music did not sound all that impressive in MIDI form. Surprised how many songs are being reused. I knew Dragon Quest IX (bar The Observatory) sounded as though he was running out of ideas, but I guess he really has now. :|

I've still been wondering something... With the large focus on the MMO experience, are maps going to make their return from DQIX? Even better Legacy Maps?

Alrus

ninten18.jpg

Think eventually I just started using a regular controller but still having that plugged in to type shit haha.

That keyboard is my only remaining Gamecube controller, I still play regular games on it from time to time. I was so happy when it came in the mail.

It's waaay too early for me to get psyched for this game... Will be playing DQIX tonight during my Olympics viewing to scratch the itch.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Awesome nice work on the redone OT!

Fell asleep while playing, woke up to find server maintenance is going on. D:

Parakeetman

At least there is the offline story to mess with while waiting. The offline story is the continuation of the prologue you have to play through before starting the online portion of the game.

To me anyways this pretty much is what I had expected a Dragon Quest game to be if it turned into an mmo.

Gloam

At least there is the offline story to mess with while waiting. The offline story is the continuation of the prologue you have to play through before starting the online portion of the game.

To me anyways this pretty much is what I had expected a Dragon Quest game to be if it turned into an mmo.

So different chapters appear the more you play online? Is the story accessible even when the Wii is disconnected from the web?

RM8

It's not that I don't think this looks good, and I'll buy it, but I'm more excited about the still non-existing DQXI for 3DS that I hope will be announced at some point. I loved IX too much, I want more of that.

Parakeetman

So different chapters appear the more you play online? Is the story accessible even when the Wii is disconnected from the web?

Im not sure about different chapters appearing, but once you get through the prologue and set up online after you have an option to continue the offline story. No idea how long it is / how much content is involved. Really do think they put it in the game for people to pass time with during server maintenance.

muu

Hah nice, a vpn with enough bandwith for gaming probably isn't cheap I guess, props to you! (I only use the free Packetx thing for 3ds :3)

You can get Nintendo Video pretty easily through a bunch of things btw (easiest is probably a DNS setting, not sure if linking "nintendosystemtemp" is cool here? they have many methods)

I don't think it downloads in sleep mode though, doesn't seem to do for me :( Alternatively I make an access point and use Packetx vpn but it's too slow, no money for a real vpn x.x Should be completely legal, but tell me if it's not cool then I'll edit. You can also easily get Nintendo Zone at home too, but not the Japanese ones....

Itsunoma is finished though btw, no more 3D Idoling :( (I don't even like AKB, the nature vids were nice though).

Oh yeah eh...DQX...eh...screw them and their IP blocking ways! Also got that "pay!" thing on Justin just now, screw them too, today is screwing day!

Too much lag for it to work or just plain not enough data throughput? I've abandoned the idea of getting DQX w/ the assumption that you'd need a $10-20/mo proxy service to get the IP needed to play.

Top Bottom