• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X - Why did they show it on a global stream only to say there are no plans for a worldwide release?

SinDelta

Why? I am at a loss. The game looks fucking amazing. It is the year 2021 why is a huge game like this being locked into a single country? I thought exclusives for consoles could get bad, but an exclusive for a country?

"There are currently no plans for a world wide release" belongs in gaming infamy alongside "is this an out of season April fools joke?"

If I did not know any better, I would almost think they were mocking and insulting western fans who have waited years for this to come out. This was a dream for a lot of Dragon Quest Fans, and spitting on that dream is beyond fucking cruel.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
But they did not say that. They did not say anything about the world, only that it's releasing in Japan in early 2022.

Incidentally, that wasn't the "Global stream." it happened to be in the second half of the stream that was translated, but that simply was the new game/releases announcement stream. Obviously, it'd have been awkward to just stop translating because the game may not come worldwide.

SinDelta

But they did not say that. They did not say anything about the world, only that it's releasing in Japan in early 2022.

Incidentally, that wasn't the "Global stream." it happened to be in the second half of the stream that was translated, but that simply was the new game/releases announcement stream. Obviously, it'd have been awkward to just stop translating because the game may not come worldwide.
They had a message that there are no plans for a worldwide release for X. If I've gotten confused on this, yes I would appreciate clarification.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They had a message that there are no plans for a worldwide release. If I've gotten confused on this, yes I would appreciate clarification.

Tha was for the Dragon Quest X expansion, not Dragon Quest X offline. As to why, I told you above.

onesvenus

DQX remade with a chibi style? Let's see how this is released for switch while DQ XII goes to the big console again

Andyliini

An offline version for DQX would have made total sense for a worldwide release. I think it's still possible to make an announcement at some point in the future.
They only clarified the online version has no plans for worldwide release, the offline version had no such remark. I believe the game will be released abroad when it arrives, it just might take a while. I don't think they annouced any platforms for this yet, either.

SSfox

Square Enix been retards morons when it comes to marketing for DQ since the beginning of times, so nothing new here.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You're better off downloading DQX proper for PC, and installing the translator mod the community made.

That way you can enjoy the real deal in all its glory. No IP bans anymore.

I plan to get into this tonight or tomorrow.

You can also play on ps4 and switch. Just download off the Japanese store. It's cross play too. No translator mod though but plenty of people in the DQX fan discord with guides and help.

Belmonte

If they don't release worldwide, I'm sure we will have a translation patch made by fans in the future.

Besides DQX, I wished S-E did this for FFXI for many, many years. I'm glad to see there is a possibility now.

Handel

SE is just behind Atlus in terms of developers that hate their fans and hate money, that's why.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
DQX remade with a chibi style? Let's see how this is released for switch while DQ XII goes to the big console again

Dragon Quest will not skip a Nintendo platform especially with the switch being as popular as it is in Japan. You are aware XI was on switch correct?

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
7c6.gif

They didn't plan this as a "global" stream. This was very much a Japanese event aimed squarely at Japanese viewers. What people here got to see was just a simultaneous restream of the original broadcast with an interpreter talking over it.

onesvenus

Dragon Quest will not skip a Nintendo platform especially with the switch being as popular as it is in Japan. You are aware XI was on switch correct?
It was released a year later than the PS4 version worldwide launch. That's what I meant

Amiga

"There are currently no plans for a world wide release"

is a common thing all Japanese publishers say. most games that had this said about then do end up releasing worldwide eventually. Sega use to say that regularly about Yakuza games. the same for Capcom with Ace Attorney games.

it's most likely business lingo. the intent is there but the financial division has given no extra resources to support a worldwide release. resources will be considered after the Japanese release. it's safe to say the financial division will see it's profitable.

FStubbs

You're better off downloading DQX proper for PC, and installing the translator mod the community made.

That way you can enjoy the real deal in all its glory. No IP bans anymore.

I plan to get into this tonight or tomorrow.

You can also play on ps4 and switch. Just download off the Japanese store. It's cross play too. No translator mod though but plenty of people in the DQX fan discord with guides and help.
I didn't know there was a translator mod or translation for DQX. Is it real time?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I didn't know there was a translator mod or translation for DQX. Is it real time?
It is in real time. Run down the rabbit hole of Google searches and discord for the game and you'll get it all set up.

I tried the ps4 version last night and the game is something special .

Can't wait to play more ! Former FFXI devs worked on it, and it shows. It's a really good game.

Top Bottom