• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Switch is developed with Unreal Engine 4.15

Cipherr

This doesn't seem odd to anyone? It's a port of a game that's not all that old that's already out and has sold its units.

Isn't this going to be extremely late? Like extremely extremely "10k first week if you are lucky" levels of late? Maybe they don't care, but it just seems odd to me. Im a bit out of the loop though.

Gloam

Is there anything to suggest that the Switch version will feature voice acting. I'm aware that there is a voice actor for Sylvia thanks to the new Fortune Street game, but, is there any other reason to believe that the game will be voiced when it comes to the Switch?

LordRaptor

Is there anything to suggest that the Switch version will feature voice acting. I'm aware that there is a voice actor for Sylvia thanks to the new Fortune Street game, but, is there any other reason to believe that the game will be voiced when it comes to the Switch?

If you're going to the expense of voice acting for one SKU you might as well reuse those assets in another SKU.
That FFXV mobile edition is reusing the existing VA for example.

killatopak

This doesn't seem odd to anyone? It's a port of a game that's not all that old that's already out and has sold its units.

Isn't this going to be extremely late? Like extremely extremely "10k first week if you are lucky" levels of late? Maybe they don't care, but it just seems odd to me. Im a bit out of the loop though.

yeah. it's not exactly popular in the west compared to the adoration it gets in Japan but I'll be there day one.

True Fire

It’s Dragon Quest. It’ll sell millions even if they drop it in 2060.

Since PS4 uses the older version of UE4 parity of Switch will be even better now, Switch version won't be much downgraded it will be more similar to PS4 version since it got the newer and updated optimised UE4 right?

But strange it's not using the latest UE4 which is 4.19 which has many optimisation improvements for PS4/XB1 maybe Switch too but no mention of it here:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1443233
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-improvements-for-fortnite-battle-royale

It's very difficult to upgrade the version of the game engine once you're at a certain point in development, since it can introduce a whole host of new bugs you need to find. It being on 4.15 tells us that development likely kicked into gear in earnest around when 4.15 released, or at least before 4.16 released.

NSESN

DQ on a popular Nintendo system in Japan. What is hard to believe here?

EDarkness

Since PS4 uses the older version of UE4 parity of Switch will be even better now, Switch version won't be much downgraded it will be more similar to PS4 version since it got the newer and updated optimised UE4 right?

But strange it's not using the latest UE4 which is 4.19 which has many optimisation improvements for PS4/XB1 maybe Switch too but no mention of it here:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-improvements-for-fortnite-battle-royale

At some point you have to cut off upgrades to the engine or else you'll spend so much time constantly reworking code. Especially when updates can fundamentally change how a system works and you have to go back and rewrite a bunch of code to get your game working again. I had to cut off updating Unity at some point because of this. It would be cool to upgrade to Unity 2017, but I don't even want to think about what kind of work I'll need to do in order to get my game running again with the changes. I'm sure Square Enix did the same thing and cut off updates at some point to keep the environment consistent.

Maxinas

Dragon Quest selling 10k??? I dont comprehend.

First, we've been through the whole "releasing it late is a bit weird" thing ages ago. DQXI was the very first known Switch game.

Second, late it may be, but "10k first week if you are lucky" for a DQ game?

wat

Snakeyes

Japan has a big preference for portables over stationary consoles. The UE4 version of Dragon Quest XI, which is presumably being ported to Switch, is currently only playable on PS4. This would make it the first high-end version of the game that can be played without being tied to a TV, which is a big selling point for the majority of Japanese console gamers.

Shifty

Three major releases behind, but I certainly don't blame them for locking down. Epic have trended toward favoring features over fixes in the last few releases of UE4.
Stuff like releasing a new event sequencing framework with showstopper bugs that prevent it from being production-ready, or breaking roomscale for Oculus Rift and then backlogging the bug ticket for an indefinite period of time.

4.19 isn't out yet, you can only get it via the still-WIP github branch. 4.18 isn't either for that matter- that's currently being released as preview builds. 4.17 is considered the current 'stable' release.
As for the bolded, that's a baseless assumption. Engine optimizations will help, but not enough to magically give the Switch parity with the PS4.

It's very difficult to upgrade the version of the game engine once you're at a certain point in development, since it can introduce a whole host of new bugs you need to find. It being on 4.15 tells us that development likely kicked into gear in earnest around when 4.15 released, or at least before 4.16 released.

To shed a bit more light on this, in theory upgrading between UE versions should be relatively painless. You can test for new bugs and restore from source control if something's broken.
Downgrading when you discover a critical engine-side issue some weeks later on the other hand, is more or less impossible without losing work. Makes it too big of a risk.

Eusis

But guys, maybe it's just a port of the 3DS version.
Octopath Traveler is UE4! Could be a remake of the 3DS game in UE4!

But yeah it's probably the PS4 version. Though I'd like them to include the 2D version and I sorta want my initial statement made real just for the sheer absurdity of it.

I don't think it looks as good as DQXI but XBC2 has had a massive visual upgrade in the last few months. It really does look quite nice.

Oh no doubt.. I just don't want to get ridiculous here. I'm getting PS4 version and 3ds version...

Although a Switch version is tempting.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
will be buying on PS4 so it doesnt matter to me, but great to see them getting it up and running

ethomaz

Banned
So that means we won’t see the 3DS version on west? :(

SE had the best scenario for west where they launch the 3DS version with Switch and PS4 version with PS4.

But now?

SE had the best scenario for west where they launch the 3DS version with Switch and PS4 version with PS4.

But now?
Can't they still launch the 3DS version in the west? I mean, handhelds are no stranger to getting games very late into their lifespan, even after their successor is out

We arent saying it will be bad, but alot of people think its going to look and run like an xbox one game and thats not going to happen.

I don't really know whose saying this honestly. I think people are expecting a faithful reincarnation. I don't think anyone has expected it to match the PS4 version.

I guess it's because UE4 has a reputation of having a lot of overhead. There are more games less than 1080p than native 1080p on UE4 at least in my knowledge. GoW4 is a fp game while fortnight is understandable since it's Epic themselves who are developing. Hellblade is actually amazing in comparison especially with it being indie and all. The thing that I like about UE4 is it's tools and support. It's the best engine for those that don't have one and much better than Unity especially for non-native english speaking people.

Nope. Just having a quick browse through the PS4 Pro support list thread (which also lists base PS4 resolutions), I noticed far more 1080p UE4 games than sub-1080p ones. MvC, Abzu, Rime, Styx, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, etc. Though AAA games do tend to be 900p more often than not, particularly recently, and I think that's only going to become more prominent moving forward, as devs try to take advantage of the Pro and 1X.

But yes, I'm not sure about other non-English regions but Epic have done a fantastic job expanding to Japan after UE3's failings there. Epic Japan deserves a lot of credit.

But now?

Isnt the script the same? If so thats most of the localisation work already done so they might as well just release the 3ds version, even if it sells shit its free money

redcrayon

I'd be surprised if we didn't get the 3DS version too- I suspect it'll be the 2018 tentpole 3DS release published by Nintendo as a last hurrah for the system. Seeing as Pokemon is out next month and following a relatively big year for 3DS including a hardware revision, and localisations of the DQVII and VIII remakes, I don't think 2018 is too late. It's not like a customer base that big just disappears overnight.

ethomaz

Banned
Can't they still launch the 3DS version in the west? I mean, handhelds are no stranger to getting games very late into their lifespan, even after their successor is out

Isnt the script the same? If so thats most of the localisation work already done so they might as well just release the 3ds version, even if it sells shit its free money
Yeap they can but I don’t expect the 3DS version reaching the west.

fortunato

Banned

But now?

Square Enix is still in the mindset that Dragon Quest fails to succeed in the West because of the platform and not because it doesn't match the tastes of Western gamers. Hence, the 3DS version will likely stays in Japan.

mejin

Not a single image to follow the statement is really sad. I hope western PS4 version is not prejudiced cause of this late port for switch.

Asd202

I'll be mad if they delay the PS4 version localization because of this.

Hmm I guess that depends if either Sony or Nintendo will be involved. SE may also decide themselves. At this point I expect PS4 and Switch version to launch at the same time.

If it does get localized. Whatever happened to the localization of DQH I&II?

After heroes 2 bombing on ps4 in the west i cant imagine SE wanting to pony up for 32gb carts on something there's no way they could sell for full price, not saying they'll do this but the sensible option would probably to split it back into seperate games and sell them cheap on the eshop

ggx2ac

If it does get localized. Whatever happened to the localization of DQH I&II?

It wouldn't get released in the west for now going by how expensive the game is that only Nintendo is releasing a game on a 32GB game card this year.

If the switch version comes West. It’s the one for me. But only if it’s announced for both at the same time for Us launch.

Otherwise PS4. Still might May triple dip though if all three come though...

How confident are you that it will only sell 10,000 copies in the first week

Daouzin

I think they're probably going to try and get the Switch version ready in time for a simultaneous localization of it and the PS4 version. And probably the 3DS one if Nintendo step in to help like they did the remakes and Bravely Default.

I hope so. Between a Switch or PS4 version I'd go with the Switch version, but i'll buy whatever I can get first.

Champion

Nothing odd about publishers milking a game. We've known the Switch version existed for a while now and that Square announced it but held off on further details for a reason.

OryoN

That's gonna be one hellova 3DS port!

Seriously though, this was waaay more likely than a late 3DS port. Woulda been a wasted opportunity to sell the concept of the "portable home-console experience," especially with UE4 Switch support working out so well.

TeamPS4port vindicated!

Not any particular version, PSFan is talking about the Switch version. It might not even release in the west.

I'm pretty sure the Switch version will release in the west. Maybe not at the same time as the PS4 version one but I really think it's safe to assume it will eventually.

Lizardus

Thanks for the history lesson, but yeah I still think Switch will get the 3DS version.

And no before anyone gets upset, that's not an insult. If people want to eat crow, again the MC thread is that way.

lol

Great news, this game is going to be amazing on the go. Would be even better if you could Switch between the PS4 and 3DS versions at whim but that might be too ambitious.

Top Bottom