• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragonball Z Revival OT Super | Super Saiyan God Super Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe i should rewatch BoGs but didn't goku lose god mode at the end but like.. retained some of the power or something? so this... blue haired thing is still below god mode? or is this literally just the super saiyan version of god mode?

..... or do we not know yet?

The second one - it's what happens when you go Super Saiyan as a Super Saiyan God. Instead of using normal ki, you use God ki in the transformation. Something like that.

Can't wait for the new series..I feel like such a little kid again. Early 2000s coming home from school to watch Toonami every day..Good times.

hamchan

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. I can't get over this. What a nonsense name.

Also got up to 40 eps into Kai before just restarting the series again with Abridged. I'll be sad when I run out of eps to watch.

Those toonami DBZ previews. They were so hype.

"I'm the prince of all saiyans once again"

4xhNyar.png

Big One

Banned
After giving it some thought, here are some things I'm expecting out of this new series:

- It takes place after Z. Bulma mentions in the final episodes/chapters that her and Goku haven't seen each other in five years, which fits in the time table with the new movies.
- Goku's still the main character. He might train Oob, but TOEI isn't going to let anyone upstage Goku. Toriyama won't either.
- It involves the various universes spoken of in Battle of Gods. Honestly, this concept isn't really quite ripe for a movie I feel as it'd get repetitive if all Goku fought in these movies was more guys like Beerus. However a TV series would be perfect for this and it wouldn't surprise me if the final arc ends up having Goku fight all the various gods.
- It won't overlap with GT. There will be a lot of plotholes but nothing will outright replace GT aka it won't be taking place 10 years after the End of Z or anything like that. TOEI wants to get DBGT a strong property so they can use it in merchandise. There will be plotholes ala the Pilaf situation but overall it won't directly conflict with each other.
- Toriyama's involvement will be minimal at best. This is somewhat confirmed already, but I have a feeling his involvement with this series will be overstated by the fans to give this series legitimacy.
- Dragonball Online content. Xenoverse already makes use of some, as does Dragonball Heroes. Toriyama wrote and designed a lot of stuff for this game, so it wouldn't surprise me if he included them in his new plotlines aka Mira and Towa involvement and the Time Breakers storyline.

hamchan

Since there's so much time travel in this series I wonder if they can just easily relegate GT to being a different timeline and just use Mira and Towa to cause the new series timeline to go down a new path.

After giving it some thought, here are some things I'm expecting out of this new series:

- It takes place after Z. Bulma mentions in the final episodes/chapters that her and Goku haven't seen each other in five years, which fits in the time table with the new movies.
- Goku's still the main character. He might train Oob, but TOEI isn't going to let anyone upstage Goku. Toriyama won't either.
- It involves the various universes spoken of in Battle of Gods. Honestly, this concept isn't really quite ripe for a movie I feel as it'd get repetitive if all Goku fought in these movies was more guys like Beerus. However a TV series would be perfect for this and it wouldn't surprise me if the final arc ends up having Goku fight all the various gods.
- It won't overlap with GT. There will be a lot of plotholes but nothing will outright replace GT aka it won't be taking place 10 years after the End of Z or anything like that. TOEI wants to get DBGT a strong property so they can use it in merchandise. There will be plotholes ala the Pilaf situation but overall it won't directly conflict with each other.
- Toriyama's involvement will be minimal at best. This is somewhat confirmed already, but I have a feeling his involvement with this series will be overstated by the fans to give this series legitimacy.
- Dragonball Online content. Xenoverse already makes use of some, as does Dragonball Heroes. Toriyama wrote and designed a lot of stuff for this game, so it wouldn't surprise me if he included them in his new plotlines aka Mira and Towa involvement and the Time Breakers storyline.

The very existence of God ki already conflicts with GT. Also the return of Freiza. And the transformation into Golden Frieza...

Big One

Banned
The very existence of God ki already conflicts with GT. Also the return of Freiza. And the transformation into Golden Frieza...
I'm saying that don't expect nothing to overwrite GT. TOEI doesn't want GT to be overwritten cause the property would be damaged and wouldn't be put to use in Dragonball Heroes, video games, Bluray/DVD releases, and etc. I doubt Toriyama has that desire as well.

I'm saying that don't expect nothing to overwrite GT. TOEI doesn't want GT to be overwritten cause the property would be damaged and wouldn't be put to use in Dragonball Heroes, video games, Bluray/DVD releases, and etc. I doubt Toriyama has that desire as well.

Not really. Dragonball Heroes and other games already have a bunch of non-canon shit. I'm pretty sure that the lack of canonical status doesn't affect the merchandise as much as one might think. Broly and Gogeta are still a thing, remember.

Big One

Banned
Not really. Dragonball Heroes and other games already have a bunch of non-canon shit. I'm pretty sure that the lack of canonical status doesn't affect the merchandise as much as one might think. Broly and Gogeta are still a thing, remember.
There's no such thing as a Dragonball canon, though. That's what people are misunderstanding about this whole situation. Things may exist in different continuities but as far as we know, there isn't a single source stating that anyone has some type of grasp of what's "canon" and "non-canon" in the series. "canon" is a term used to describe something of an official nature aka a body of work that's considered legitimate. Dragonball GT is licensed in the same capacity as Dragonball and Dragonball Z is. As far as TOEI is concerned, it IS canon. So are the movies.

maybe i should rewatch BoGs but didn't goku lose god mode at the end but like.. retained some of the power or something? so this... blue haired thing is still below god mode? or is this literally just the super saiyan version of god mode?

..... or do we not know yet?

This is my first time hearing of SSGSS. Is it much more powerful than regular SSG or is it just a different color?
Gonna group these answers together.
He absorbed the god ki and permanently became a god. His base form is the same power as God form now. SSGSS is what Super Saiyan becomes for someone who has "mastered Super Saiyan God". As for the power boost, I'd imagine it'd be similar to what Super Saiyan did.

And RF's depiction of hell, and SSGSS replacing Super Saiyan for Goku and Vegeta.

There's no such thing as a Dragonball canon, though. That's what people are misunderstanding about this whole situation. Things may exist in different continuities but as far as we know, there isn't a single source stating that anyone has some type of grasp of what's "canon" and "non-canon" in the series. "canon" is a term used to describe something of an official nature aka a body of work that's considered legitimate. Dragonball GT is licensed in the same capacity as Dragonball and Dragonball Z is. As far as TOEI is concerned, it IS canon. So are the movies.
But the original 13 movies and GT clearly do not exist in the same continuity as the manga and the two new movies, there is absolutely no debating that. They exist within their own little worlds.

Pappasman

I think we can all agree that Trunks has the single best storyline out of any character in DBZ. The entire premise of his character and the time traveling mechanics were so cool. He is also one of the few characters to have his issues resolved by his own hand. He learns, grows, and goes back to his time to fuck up cell and the androids on his own.

Best character.

Big One

Banned
But the original 13 movies and GT clearly do not exist in the same continuity as the manga and the two new movies, there is absolutely no debating that. They exist within their own little worlds.
Ok? Canon and continuity still do not have anything to do with each other. Things can still exist in different continuities and still be considered part of the canon.

Ok? Canon and continuity still do not have anything to do with each other. Things can still exist in different continuities and still be considered part of the canon.

GT is not canon to the manga and the new movies because it's not in the same continuity, it's pretty simple to understand people's wording on this matter. There is zero reason to try to avoid stepping on GT's toes in this new series when the two movies that kicked this whole thing off already make it clear that they don't co-exist in the same universe as GT.

I'm reading your posts, and it looks like you're just stretching to keep GT canon. No offense.

Most fans use continuity and canon interchangeably. This new show is continuing the story of the original DB and Z. GT no longer fits. It's all good.

CryptiK

GT is dead. Everything in the latest movies and manga contradicts it. It pretty much doesn't exist in this Version of DB.

NeonZ

This is my first time hearing of SSGSS. Is it much more powerful than regular SSG or is it just a different color?

Even if it is a power up, it doesn't seem to change the established tiers (Whis > Beerus > Saiyans). It mostly seems to be a way to use SSJ God without the ritual.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, if Saiyan God's have Red hair.

And Super Saiyans have Yellow hair.

Why are Super Saiyan Saiyan Super God Super Saiyan Super Super God's blue haired... And not orange haired?

So, if Saiyan God's have Red hair.

And Super Saiyans have Yellow hair.

Why are Super Saiyan Saiyan Super God Super Saiyan Super Super God's blue haired... And not orange haired?

Toriyama picked red for Super Saiyan God because red is a powerful color, he picked blue for SSGSS because it's a tranquil color.

deleted

I'm looking forward to the possibility of a new tournament - they were the best in the OG Dragon Ball and it always felt like a huge missed opportunity that they didn't play through the last Tournament in DBZ in it's entirety.

Don't mind the blue haired god, but the red haired just looks like a Kaioken.

Kain

Bingo.

Trunks outright says that GT Trunks is a different one ie: Not him.

Well, to be fair Xenoverse Trunks is not the Trunks from the official continuity either. Wasn't he supposed to be the Trunks that went back in time, killed Frieza, sucked against Cell and then came back to his own timeline to kill the androids? We was being punished for tempering with the timelines by becoming a timecop, or that is what I understood.

So GT Trunks should be the same that was being carried around by Bulma during the android saga and was a kid during the Buu saga, so it makes sense for him to say that GT Trunks and X Trunks are different people.

Unless they clearly state somewhere that there are three different Trunks:

- The kid during Buu saga

- GT Trunks

- The one who went back in time to the place where everyone is dead but him

Merc_

Don't mind the blue haired god, but the red haired just looks like a Kaioken.

I don't think we have to worry about the red haired SSG anymore. I'm pretty sure that the blue haired SSGSS mode completely replaces it.

Savitar

Well, to be fair Xenoverse Trunks is not the Trunks from the official continuity either. Wasn't he supposed to be the Trunks that went back in time, killed Frieza, sucked against Cell and then came back to his own timeline to kill the androids? We was being punished for tempering with the timelines by becoming a timecop, or that is what I understood.

So GT Trunks should be the same that was being carried around by Bulma during the android saga and was a kid during the Buu saga, so it makes sense for him to say that GT Trunks and X Trunks are different people.

Unless they clearly state somewhere that there are three different Trunks:

- The kid during Buu saga

- GT Trunks

- The one who went back in time to the place where everyone is dead but him

Yup, he's suppose to be the one from the shitty future where the androids killed everyone.

Kid Trunks is the baby he saw when he met everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom