• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 has sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide

Kacho

Don't care too much about sales numbers but man, am I happy to read that they intend to keep supporting this game in the future.
For comparison, the first DD sold 1 million in a month. DD2 sold 2.5 in 2 weeks, so huge difference. I hope this means even better post launch support compared to the first game. Time will tell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
stop GIF

Fuck Me Right I Know GIF

For comparison, the first DD sold 1 million in a month. DD2 sold 2.5 in 2 weeks, so huge difference. I hope this means even better post launch support compared to the first game. Time will tell.
depends though, for the first game itsuno was just put in charge to create a 1 million seller, and got the appropriate budget for that, which is why he had to scale back/cut a lot of features since a lot of time/money went into adapting MTF to open world.
they probably had higher expectations than 1 million for this one.

Go_Ly_Dow

Counter argument: from memory in the Insomniac leak it seems a hefty amount of the revenues Sony gets from the super hero junk goes to royalties paying off the Marvel/DC or whomever is behind Spiderman. The game would also have a much higher budget being made in Western studios. I think dev salaries are typically much lower in the East, 20-30% which would massively reduce dev costs. Plus the access to cheap outsourcing across Asia.

So factoring in the variables, including the exclusivity cheques Square recieved from Sony for FF16 and FF7 and I'd guess they need to sell much less copies than Spiderman for example to make a profit, hence why Square celebrated 3mil copies sold for FF16 and Capcom is celebrating 2.5mil copies sold for DD2.

I think Eastern studios are better placed to survive. Not only do they have established IPs but they're not paying Disney a lot of money to borrow an IP like Star Wars (Ubisoft) or Spiderman (Sony) etc...

So this is much more preferable to turning a studio like Insomniac into a stale superhero factory studio. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Astral Dog

Good news

next i hope they make Devil May Cry 6(even if its not directed by Itsuno again,they may find a good director to replace him)
depends though, for the first game itsuno was just put in charge to create a 1 million seller, and got the appropriate budget for that, which is why he had to scale back/cut a lot of features since a lot of time/money went into adapting MTF to open world.
they probably had higher expectations than 1 million for this one.
These are just early sales,Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to sell much more than 2.5M its guaranteed to get the support of Monster Hunter and DMC fans(plus other open world games)the biggest issue it seems to have should be partially adressed with patches

Last edited:

Holammer

Almost 8 weeks later Helldivers 2 remains the top selling game globally on Steam while DD2 dropped to #10 after two weeks.
I think there's a discussion to be had about game prices, the lower barrier to entry at 39,99€ compared with the 64,99€ Capcom (and the industry in general) wants starts to look like a better pricing strategy, one that allows a game to trend in a more organic way.

iHaunter

From what I've seen. This is just Dragon's Dogma 1+. I'll wait for a sale since I didn't play first one. Looks interesting.

Comandr

For a single player game in a franchise not many people have played/heard of, in a release window with other heavy hitters like FF7R2, Helldivers; AND a myriad of bad press/word of mouth surrounding the performance and micro transaction nonsense on all platforms... I'd say the game is doing great despite the uphill battle. The inevitable DLC will add a much greater end game and we'll start to see just how long of legs this game can have. The first one still has 4,500 daily users on steam, 8 years later, and that game is jank AF.

Belthazar

The original game had the same fast travel mechanic, and didn't sell extra ones as DLC, so I disagree that they made the game more inconvenient to sell DLC.
Furthermore, ferrystones, the items you actually need to fast travel, are not sold as DLC, so your argument doesn't even make sense.

As always, just seems like people who don't understand/haven't played the game spreading misinformation.

The original did sell ferrystones as part of the A Boon for Wanderers pack.

And regardless, DD2 it's a $70 game selling usable items as MTX, there's no way to defend that. On AssCreed Origins and Odyssey you could grind the levels yourself to reach the level gated content, so by your logic that makes selling the exp booster packs ok.

Majukun

Correction: It would be slightly higher numbers if the media hadn't lied about the MTX and had actually explained that all the DLC items can be obtained in game and that there are actually no features locked behind microtransactions.
that is not an excuse.
literally ALL mtx in any game ever, including predatory mobile games, involve items you can get in game, we are not talking about dlc here.

mtx have no place in a single player game, let alone ones that apparently betray your own vision of the game (aka, we want players to travel on foot, but if they don't wanna do it often they can just pay us lol)

and I say this being part of the problem since i ended up buying the game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The real problem is people performatively going all activist on behalf of imaginary "victim" groups.

Paying for advantage is normal. The only time its problematic is when its allied with a competition angle thereby disadvantaging people who can't pay from competing on a level playing field. Or when its part of Skinner-box type exploitation products where the entire business model is built around hooking gullible people and bilking them for cash over the long haul.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Such a nice news.

I'm sure we're many hoping this will be enough for Capcom to green light an eventual expansion. Dark Arisen is one of my favorite expac ever for any game. It is some of the very best action dungeon crawling.

Sakura

The original did sell ferrystones as part of the A Boon for Wanderers pack.

And regardless, DD2 it's a $70 game selling usable items as MTX, there's no way to defend that. On AssCreed Origins and Odyssey you could grind the levels yourself to reach the level gated content, so by your logic that makes selling the exp booster packs ok.
I was referring to the portable portcrystals not being sold in the original DD.
People are exaggerating the DLC/out right not understanding what is being sold. If you are upset they sell a single portcrystal and some useless currency, then cool man, I don't have a problem with that. Be upset about what you want. But if people are going to make nonsense claims then that is what I have a problem with.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

that is not an excuse.
literally ALL mtx in any game ever, including predatory mobile games, involve items you can get in game, we are not talking about dlc here.

mtx have no place in a single player game, let alone ones that apparently betray your own vision of the game (aka, we want players to travel on foot, but if they don't wanna do it often they can just pay us lol)

You're missing the point, I agree that MTX should not exist in single player games, the problem here is how blatantly a bunch of Streamers, Youtubers and Media in general Lied about DD2's MTX even calling it pay to win, some went as far as saying that Capcom was selling save slots as MTX or that you had to pay for character creation when they had released the character creator as a separate FREE DEMO were you could slot 5 different characters, it was all lies.

There was a very weird coordinated attack on DD2 and a lot of people don't want to recognize this, one day before release all reviewers praised the game with a bunch of 8s, 9s and 10s and then at launch this massive backlash came out of nowhere, spreading all those lies I mentioned above.

Where were all those people when Capcom released day 1 DLC on Street Fighter 6, Monster Hunter World or RE4R, hell where were they when they released day 1 DLC on frickin DD1 12 years ago?!

Personally I'm more concerned about the fact that a bunch of influencers and journos lied to the gaming community and a lot of people actually bought those lies, that should be fucking scary for the industry, on the other hand while I agree that MTX shouldn't exist on single player games, well, that's capitalism for you, good luck bringing down a practice that has been happening for almost 20 years now, you're kinda late on that fight if you ask me.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
i have a 4090, game runs like ass
That's odd, what settings are you running? Got super resolution on to either performance or quality?

I got mine running at 4K, runs mint 95% of the time, then like just to the side of mint the ther other 5% of the time (like, 50-70fps in towns).

IAmRei

I guess I agree except for effectively locking out new game and only have one saveslot.

I already had several bugged out quest that took me hours to figure out, issues that would be easy to solve if I could load a previous save.

Anyway, 2.5 mill is not that much.. I'm kinda surprised actually..

You can load inn save btw. Separated save.

2.5 is big, its just barely few week. Not a month yet...

Top Bottom