• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma II - Capcom's Highest Concurrent User-Peak SP Game (Currently 173k) Beating out RE4make

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Also lowest launching rating I guess.
ecAXmC5.png

Larxia

To me this just shows me how popular video games have become more than anything
Exactly this too. It's like this with every publisher unless there is something really wrong with the game like suicide squad and such.
It feels like everyday I see a thread about this new game being the biggest seller for this publisher etc... It's just the industry as a whole that is constantly growing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Exactly this too. It's like this with every publisher unless there is something really wrong with the game like suicide squad and such.
It feels like everyday I see a thread about this new game being the biggest seller for this publisher etc... It's just the industry as a whole that is constantly growing.

And yet we constantly have executives like Phil at MS that tells us how much things AREN'T growing. Funny how some of these execs will say anything just to explain away their bad ideas.

Lambogenie

I think it's different given how DD1 wasn't all that popular in the grand scheme of things back on PS3. Since then it's numerous ports and word of mouth have helped. My thoughts only.

Denton

187K is the actual peak, and it might go higher during the weekend, but they could have launched much higher if the game had no MTX and (much) better technical state. Hype was very high and word of mouth could have pushed it much higher still.

Ozriel

M$FT
And yet we constantly have executives like Phil at MS that tells us how much things AREN'T growing. Funny how some of these execs will say anything just to explain away their bad ideas.

I guess all the tens of thousands of people who lost their jobs, the canceled projects and games that just flat out struggled in the market are in a different multiverse?

There will always be success stories. Tekken 8, Helldivers 2, DD 2…and there are a ton of games that’ll show up with lukewarm market reception.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wildly successful game with mostly negative reviews.....Welcome to the industry in 2020's onwards!

At least there are those that are doing it right. Capcom are legit in my top three developers and publishers of all time, so this news on MTs is gutting.

Chukhopops

Wildly successful game with mostly negative reviews.....Welcome to the industry in 2020's onwards!

At least there are those that are doing it right. Capcom are legit in my top three developers and publishers of all time, so this news on MTs is gutting.
What’s surprising is every recent Capcom game has had MTX bullshit:
- DMC 5 literally sold packs of the gems you use in the game to buy skills;
- Character edit vouchers in World / Rise;
- Keys to unlock everything in Resident Evil games.

I guess people were simply not paying attention.

Buggy Loop

And this is a good thing how exactly?

It just means that a ton of customers have been duped/conned.

Naw, you know steam

Game is not performing as expected? Negative reviews. While they’re still playing.

I played it last night and really, ~75-90 fps open world. Only the capital city (so far that I explored ) kneecaps performances and capcom is looking into it so. Why would I be duped?

Peoples aren’t leaving a negative comment and stop playing. It’s about sending a message. I don’t agree necessarily to it, but it always worked with capcom, RE8 comes to mind.

ER performance is not THIS bad.

Oh It absolutely was. Worse imo.

I have no stutter and WILL avg 75~90 fps for 90% of the game, because content is mainly outside cities. And capcom is looking into fixing that so..

Elden Ring all content was stutter at launch. They never really fixed it, improved but still there as far as I know, haven’t touched it in a long time.

DD2 has a 1 min shader compilation. Zero stutter after. Already off to a good start, the dev put more effort in than many devs.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Why do people care about mtc with this specific game so much its like some need to shit on stuff constantly.

GHG

Gold Member
Naw, you know steam

Game is not performing as expected? Negative reviews. While they’re still playing.

I played it last night and really, ~75-90 fps open world. Only the capital city (so far that I explored ) kneecaps performances and capcom is looking into it so. Why would I be duped?

Peoples aren’t leaving a negative comment and stop playing. It’s about sending a message. I don’t agree necessarily to it, but it always worked with capcom, RE8 comes to mind.

A lot of people will still play because of a little something called sunk cost fallacy.

That's the same reason why you will see some people plough through games to completion even though they hate the game and/or are having a horrid time.

Paying customers are entitled to their opinions and they are allowed to share them.

You've got good hardware, I also don't expect to have any performance issues given my hardware. That doesn’t mean the people who are having issues are wrong. If there was no problem then Capcom wouldn't have had to come out and make a statement addressing the problems people have had.

It's clear that things could have, and should have been better.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

A lot of people will still play because of a little something called sunk cost fallacy.

That's the same reason why you will see some people plough through games to completion even though they hate the game and/or are having a horrid time.

Paying customers are entitled to their opinions and they are allowed to share them.

Naw not this one dude. Peoples are having a lot of fun with it if you go into any DD2 threads.

Is anyone buying it on consoles duped? That’s the worse case scenario right now for PC in cities, it matches console fps. That’s a small portion of the map.

GHG

Gold Member
Naw not this one dude. Peoples are having a lot of fun with it if you go into any DD2 threads.

Is anyone buying it on consoles duped? That’s the worse case scenario right now for PC in cities, it matches console fps. That’s a small portion of the map.

See my edit.

If they feel that that games performance is impacting their ability to play and enjoy the game (and it wasn't made clear pre-release from Capcom that said performance would be the case) then yes, they can make a case for having being duped.

Not sure why there needs to be this ridiculous defence force/handwaving exercise every time a game ends up releasing like this on Steam.

This is on Capcom. If there weren't any performance issues and they didn't spring a bunch of abhorrent microtransactions on us at the eleventh hour then the reviews would likely be sitting at very positive or above.

The customers on Steam are not the problem here and Capcom had the power to prevent this. Let's see what they do in response.

Last edited:

killatopak

I can see performance being an issue but I believe this has more to do about the invasive microtransaction. Like one save only? Can’t create new characters until you delete your main one?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And this is a good thing how exactly?

It just means that a ton of customers have been duped/conned.

I can't believe this, but I am in 100% agreement with you! :D

My post may have come across incorrectly. I was trying to say, its terrible and customers have potentially been duped!

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

DaGwaphics

Congrats to them I guess. Nothing in this one interests me, but then I just dislike this whole time period for games. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

What mystifies me the most about this one is seeing so many sites praising the graphics, I'm clearly missing something in the translation here.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This just shows how powerful youtubers and twitch streamers are when it comes to hyping up and selling games

A new Capcom ip that built up an audience over the course of twelve years, with nothing but positive word of mouth; isn’t selling its sequel because of streamers.

PanzerCute

What’s surprising is every recent Capcom game has had MTX bullshit:
- DMC 5 literally sold packs of the gems you use in the game to buy skills;
- Character edit vouchers in World / Rise;
- Keys to unlock everything in Resident Evil games.

I guess people were simply not paying attention.
They have been doing this since PS3 era, nothing new. I love Capcom but they were the first japanese publisher to do shit like that.

But it is also important to note that I never felt the need or even the will to buy any of these, their games have everything you need tbh.

Still scummy tho.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Performance can be ass. As long as the game doesn’t outright kick you out or lock up, people will play. We’ve been through worse.
I'm sure majority of the negative reviewers have to do with DLC padding

aside from cities, even lowend rigs achieve 40+ fps in locations where most of the gameplay take. it is like how i5 2500 would get 60 fps in the %90 of the witcher 3 but would drop to 40s in novigrad. people just don't care about "city" dropping FPS just like how most people on PC didn't care about act 3 dropping frames to 30s

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Helldivers 2 showed me what gamers “want” is a crock of shit. Game still crashes, and matchmaking with friends can be fucky.

Generally when a game launched like that on PC it would get nuked in reviews, refunded, and would be dead on arrival. But oh no! Not helldivers2! It has a meme community about democracy so we can ignore all the apparent issues.

Dragons dogma 2, issues as well, and the first capcom game to hit in a minute with this kind of baggage. People buy it anyway and enjoy.

Simply put, a game can run like shit and have major issues, and players do not care because they don’t have standards. They just want to play it.

Which is fine, but some games can’t even have a hiccup without it being sent to the gallows. (Suicide squad for example)

Freeman76

Game is amazing this is well deserved, I would imagine it will reach 250/300 over the weekend as more footage emerges and people see how much cool shit there is in the game. So far its much better than the first one which was already a classic!1

Fabieter

Yet you use every topic regarding this to shit on GAFfers. How are you any different, you hypocrite?

Because its a non issue. Everyone can bitch about the shitty performance on all platforms, having only one save all they want, but most of it is just stupid.

Top Bottom