• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dream place to live

so im always of think whats the next place to go. i think traveling is overrated because if you go to other places you will find the same people with same values as you and so on and so forth just with different architechure. i want to live in the desert. i dont want to be a conspiracy theorist but there is something romantic about the desert to me. i think its pretty there are cool animals and also you can probably shoot guns at rocks and shit. so if you had a dream place what would it be

Dunki

For me it is probably some town on in Japan. Not too big not too small just a little chill place to live and work.^^

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think traveling is overrated, but I'm not doing it to meet people with different values. I don't like people in general, and my wife and I are both introverts so we're not interacting with natives much or anything anyway. But it is nice to see/experience different cultures, types of food, types of architecture, different art, different histories (museums) etc. that we can do on our own for the most part. Not to mention the natural beauty of going to different types of climates and geographies.

That said, I don't really have a dream place to live nailed down. But probably something like the French or Italian Riviera in some small town or in the country side. That's the type of place we talk about retiring. That or some where like Costa Rica or Panama--but the heat and mosquitoes were a bit much for me when we've visited friends who moved there. I don't have much interest in staying in the US when we're done working--would leave sooner if careers permitted.

gundalf

I want to go back where my parents life (north-west spain), away from the city and back to the mountain village in nature. I work everyday hard to fulfil this dream.
Though I don't know what you mean with traveling being overrated - people, scenery, language, culture and way of life have a huge variety inside a single country. At least that is my experience here in Europe.

Liljagare

I want to go back where my parents life (north-west spain), away from the city and back to the mountain village in nature. I work everyday hard to fulfil this dream.
Though I don't know what you mean with traveling being overrated - people, scenery, language, culture and way of life have a huge variety inside a single country. At least that is my experience here in Europe.

Fun, I find this region to be one of the best one I've been to, Galicia. Used to love Andalucia, before we went to Galicia, absolutely adore the region around Vigo. Nice climate too.

Arguably the best seafood in the world too.. :p Percebes!!!!! :eek:

Bhutan for me. Don't ask me why, since I was around 10 and found about this country in an encyclopedia* I had this urge of travelling there and possibly live there. If I won a big prize that allowed me to run away from everyone and everything I know, a select few people know they'd find me in Bhutan.

*For those who don't know, once upon a time the were these books where you could learn stuff called encyclopedias. Kinda like Wikipedia but on book.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
hawaii i guess. never been there but i want to live somewhere that doesnt get very cold with nice beaches

Papa

Banned
Gold Coast, Australia. Perfect weather, some of the best beaches in the world, great food and coffee culture, strong property market, first city in Australia to get 5G.

images

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Been to Bermuda a half dozen times or so and its definitely my favorite place to get away too but I am not sure I would want to live anywhere where there are no mountains. So I guess the best place for me is in New England where I am. I have the ocean, the Mountains, warm in the summer, Snow in the winter and Bermuda is a 2 hour flight away.

It's Jeff

Banned
I kind of love my home here in Colorado, but in the end I think I'll be somewhere in or near Boston with those Red Sox season tickets.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Melbourne, Australia.

Housing is gratuitously expensive but it excels on pretty much every other metric.

lil puff

hawaii i guess. never been there but i want to live somewhere that doesnt get very cold with nice beaches
This is me too. I have always loved Hawaii.

Truly I want to get the fuck out of the stinky hellhole of NYC. It gets tiring, everyday is like a week here. It is taking years off of my life.

Please no one say they dream to be here. Unless it's far upstate.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Hong Kong on the island for a few years, maybe Singapore instead, then Japan again, then retire to San Diego.

Bhutan for me. Don't ask me why, since I was around 10 and found about this country in an encyclopedia* I had this urge of travelling there and possibly live there. If I won a big prize that allowed me to run away from everyone and everything I know, a select few people know they'd find me in Bhutan.

*For those who don't know, once upon a time the were these books where you could learn stuff called encyclopedias. Kinda like Wikipedia but on book.

I had a friend who went there on vacation. Apparently visas are very difficult to obtain and as a foreign tourist you have to have a personal guide from the government that you pay ~$250 daily to to even enter the country.

Iceland or Japan for me. The Ramen probably swings Japan over more. But I'd like to live in Japan in the countryside, not the city. I can always take a train in.

Doczu

Texas. I just want a small ranch in Texas. A place where my wife can take care of the children, i can ride on a horse (because reasons) and shoots some cans with a revolver while smoking a cigarette.
I just feel bad where we live, i just can't be me.

I had a friend who went there on vacation. Apparently visas are very difficult to obtain and as a foreign tourist you have to have a personal guide from the government that you pay ~$250 daily to to even enter the country.

Yeah, not sure how things are over there nowadays (probably the same lol), but the tourism was really strict when I started investigating it, there was an annual quota of people who could enter the country.
Who knows in a couple of decades i'll be there posting on NeoneoneoneoGAF

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You wouldn't wanna shoot guns at rocks cuz they can ricochet. Just bring some bottles and paper targets stapled to wood (and pick up after yourself!)

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I would love to live in Japan. I already have plans to move there once I'm established financially, after university. It will be truly the greatest decision I've ever made in this life.

Currently renovating. Will be in there next year full time, its an hour or so drive to work but we will have 4 kids next year and they need to grow up in the country side with fresh air.

jfWAadY.jpg

cJxyjVA.jpg

bitbydeath

Somewhere quiet in Europe.
Austria is beautiful or the German hills, Italy is another area my wife and I always speak of.

Iaterain

I think Machu Picchu is a fantastic place to live. I can't even imagine what it feels like to spend a day and night at this place...

TFGB

I could quite happily have a holiday home on Rarotonga, but realistically we’ll probably end up moving to North Yorkshire, The Lakes or Scotland. I love the weather down on the South Coast but, with the huge population increase we’ve seen over the last 10 years, road traffic has become unbearable. I dread to think how it will be in another 10 years time.

womfalcs3

Banned
If you want to exceed professionally, there is no other place than the UAE, Qatar, or Saudi Arabia. There is a lack of skill workers, and you can excel if you work hard (not efficiently either, just hard). You can make a name for yourself if you work hard. I would prefer Saudi Arabia due to a lower cost of living than the UAE or Qatar.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Anyone familiar with Sweden/Norway/Finland? Hell, they aren't any places I'd consider feasible given my lack if knowledge on their culture and language, but damn if I even stayed for a little that'd be wild.

I feel like those people have been quietly living the world's best lives and I wouldn't wanna miss out on an opportunity.

I live in Northumberland England, I'd stay were I am, a bigger house mabee but I love the history and beauty of this place.

Cato

Banned
I live on a beach in tropical Queensland.
Water is warn summer as well as "winter".

I grow Banana, Pineapple and Mango in the back yard.
We used to live in the bay area, but no more. No regrets. This is way better.

I would like to own a house in north western australia. Derby, Broome or similar.
And just go there on vacation from time to time.

Last edited:
If you want to exceed professionally, there is no other place than the UAE, Qatar, or Saudi Arabia. There is a lack of skill workers, and you can excel if you work hard (not efficiently either, just hard). You can make a name for yourself if you work hard. I would prefer Saudi Arabia due to a lower cost of living than the UAE or Qatar.

Yes real beautiful place Saudi, cant get alcohol anywhere excet some underground hiding spots, still have public executions and overall their mentality is so f ed up and lets not even start how they treat women. Yea, real Paradise! Maybe if you are a lonely 40yr old man with no friends. Foreigners that work there go because the firm obviously offers good cash, but even considering it as a best place to live....you gotta be kidding right?

Dubai is complete opposite, you have the whole religion thing going on but you dont even notice it how cosmopolitan it is, shiny, futuristic. I lived there for 6 years but again i dont agree when you say you will excell better than home. UAE wants cheap labor, thats why cellphone providers, banks, any governemnt documents stuff...it is such a mess to get anything done. They literally hire someone with zero knowledge in their field. Give them a 2 weeks training and then that same guy/girl are now in charge of your bank account.

Taxi drivers dont know where the airport is or some major malls so you end up having to explain. Left my expensive Casio for repair at official Casio store...took em 2 and a half months to repair a broken bracelet. Once I came with the police they fixed it in 3 hours...go figure.

Temperatures well over 50C* on an almost daily basis. Road fees for a 15 minute drive through the city center is like 15$ a day at least because they decided to build toll gates every 500 meters, even in downtown which makes no sense. I can go on forever.

Only people excell there xvompared to what their country offers are Pakistani, Indian and Philipino and they get treated real real bad....typical low it level, tv sellers and such low wage jobs. Dubai looks amazing but ots great for a vacation, lifestyle, especially for small kids is bad.

Last edited:

Relativ9

Anyone familiar with Sweden/Norway/Finland? Hell, they aren't any places I'd consider feasible given my lack if knowledge on their culture and language, but damn if I even stayed for a little that'd be wild.

I feel like those people have been quietly living the world's best lives and I wouldn't wanna miss out on an opportunity.

Eeeh, I mean, having lived in Ireland for 3 years now, I definitely do miss Norway. Ireland seems like a third world nation in comparison. But there are so many restrictions and negative aspects of Norwegian life, sure it's peaceful, but it's also boring and largely passionless when compared to other places. And Norwegians can be incredibly stuck-up and prickly, when a society has very few actual real problems, one of the byproducts is that it elevates tiny little irrelevant problems into national tragedies. It's also a nation obsessed with the superficial, "pink-bloggers" and reality TV is all anyone under the age of 30 talks about, and "sophisticated" conversation boils down to circle jerking about how racist the right wing parties are.

Free healthcare is nice though, and the snow, and the nature.

Last edited:

llien

Probably somewhere like Lake Como

IMG_4418-copy.jpg

Been there and... mm, well, rather not. Although beautiful place indeed, getting from anywhere to anywhere is a hassle and it's quite cold in winter. (unlike, I was told, South Ca)

Top Bottom