• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dream place to live

Japan of course, Japan is the coolest country on Earth.

But for here in the US, NYC, LA, Miami or the Florida keys, provided you had the money to live somewhere nice of course.

But if I could pick absolutely anywhere, I'd say a nice, big apartment in the heart of Tokyo, that'd be paradise.

If I was rich, I'd live in New York.
I'd have everything at my finger tips (food, clothes, strip clubs, movie cinemas etc) and (I'd expect) great internet speeds and an online gaming population for any modern title I'd want.

If I was rich, I'd live in New York.
I'd have everything at my finger tips (food, clothes, strip clubs, movie cinemas etc) and (I'd expect) great internet speeds and an online gaming population for any modern title I'd want.

For sure, NYC's gotta be one of the best places to live in the world (lol, I like how you mention stirp clubs)

It's expensive though and only getting more so.

Remember in the old days when it was actually a dangerous place to live?

Gryndel

Neo Member
I'll probably just stay here in Italy. I don't dream to spend all my life in a single place, but if someday i'll retire, I may want to spend the last years in Rome

Kadayi

Banned
Been there and... mm, well, rather not. Although beautiful place indeed, getting from anywhere to anywhere is a hassle and it's quite cold in winter. (unlike, I was told, South Ca)

Well, the requisite millions would be part of the deal, plus I like the cold....

Maedre

Banned
Cornwall.

Egner-Photography-8-South-West-England-Kynance-Cove-Lizard-Cornwall-United-Kingdom-IMG_2177-Edit.jpg

But Brexit made this retirement dream obsolete.

Maybe I should visit Ireland more often.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I'd love to live in Japan, but a fantasy version where they have nice apartments, good beer, and legal weed...

Thurible

A town or small city that has the country side by it. I would also like to live in a place with a catholic community (big or small). Preferably a place where the common language is English, but I would be willing to learn a secondary language if necessary.

For places to visit, I would love to go to Rome, Vatican city, Germany, and Poland

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Probably somewhere like Lake Como

Was going to say this. Or the Italian or French Riveria. We'll probably move somewhere like that (probably not Como as it's so expensive) when we're ready to retire as we don't really want to stay in the US then. Plus we'll be more than sick of big city life then and looking more for a small town/village/country side vibe and those types of places are predominately conservative shitholes in the US.

Kadayi

Banned
Cornwall..

Trust me as someone who spent part of his childhood living there it's great during the spring and summer, but it's damp as hell during the Autumn and Winter when it's just plagued by perpetual drizzle. Great for a Holiday. but I wouldn't recommend living there.

Last edited:

Maedre

Banned
Trust me as someone who spent part of his childhood living there it's great during the spring and summer, but it's damp as hell during the Autumn and Winter when it's just plagued by perpetual drizzle. Great for a Holiday. but I wouldn't recommend living there.

I know Cornwall in every season. But i know what you mean. Its more like a summer/spring hideout. For winter and autumn it’s fine here.

brett_me

Neo Member
Waikiki, Hawaii. Waikiki is perfect in everyway; tropical enough that it reminds me of my childhood, urban enough that you can live within walking distance of anything you could need, and only a good hour away from the North Shore when you need some time away from the city.

My bank automatically takes $100 out every paycheck and puts it in a savings account. Hopefully within a year or 2 I'll have enough to make the plunge and get my ticket.

ROMhack

Obviously Japan but outside of that somewhere like Copenhagen. Really love the place, even though it's cold and expensive.

NahaNago

Most likely as most folks have said Japan. I lived in Okinawa growing up so that place would be cool to live in. I really miss seeing the ocean. The other place would be Tokyo but that is just because I was obsessed with it in my early 20's but only stopped by at the airport. Hawaii , again cause I love the ocean. The last 2 would be Singapore and Malaysia but that is only because I've been seeing videos of their cities skyline lately. No place cold.

CallMehChip

Neo Member
New York was already said by a few people, but I'd most certainly like to live in Manhattan in a high rise building. Something about the diverse culture and all the life, sounds very appealing to me.

Dark Star

norway, belgium, netherlands, sweden, denmark, switzerland ... all perfect places IMO (particularly norway.. amazing mountains and water). In the U.S - Colorado and washington state is probably the best alternative.

either somewhere in that region of the world ... or Hawaii.. ah that is peaceful paradise with amazing surf. (i'd probably say somewhere in california, for the legal herbs, but man..the traffic is horrible)

Last edited:

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Libellule (A Salina 48 Catamaran, iirc) or similar.

Second for Mars. (Hilarious given the account name) The longer days would suit me.

joombo

Banned
For me it's Palma de Mallorca. It's amazing city, here is live webcam https://worldcams.tv/cities/palma-de-mallorca-harbour from some interesting places in the city. It has nice architecture with a mix of Roman and Arabian styles and beautiful beaches, both sandy beach and cliff "beach". I visited Mallorca a few years ago and I was really impressed with this city.

Breakage

I aim to definitely leave London someday (and perhaps even leave England altogether). I will not even consider having a family until I am far away from London. I have no idea where I will go though.

Thurible

I aim to definitely leave London someday (and perhaps even leave England altogether). I will not even consider having a family until I am far away from London. I have no idea where I will go though.
If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like london and perhaps England all together?

Edit: I suppose my curiousity comes from the fact that it is what I assume is your home.

Last edited:

Breakage

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like london and perhaps England all together?

Edit: I suppose my curiousity comes from the fact that it is what I assume is your home.
I've lived in London my whole life (I was born in the city). It's just changed a lot in recent decades – and not in a nice way. For me, it is an increasingly unpleasant place to live. There's nothing charming about London's famous vibrant "multicultural" society – mutual incomprehension becomes a way of life; the air is filthy; the people I often encounter are either miserable or hideously egotistical or irritatingly far Left; visually the inner city area in which I live is depressing to look at (despite regeneration efforts); it's expensive, and crime is on the up (there's almost a knifing or shooting every day these days).
Apart from the convenience of shops and transport system, London has no redeeming features in my view.

Thurible

I've lived in London my whole life (I was born in the city). It's just changed a lot in recent decades – and not in a nice way. For me, it is an increasingly unpleasant place to live. There's nothing charming about London's famous vibrant "multicultural" society – mutual incomprehension becomes a way of life; the air is filthy; the people I often encounter are either miserable or hideously egotistical or irritatingly far Left; visually the inner city area in which I live is depressing to look at (despite regeneration efforts); it's expensive, and crime is on the up (there's almost a knifing or shooting every day these days).
Apart from the convenience of shops and transport system, London has no redeeming features in my view.
Oh, well I'm sorry to hear that. As an american, while I find many flaws with my country I personally could never hate it. It's my home and I feel blessed to have the opportunities I have and the sacrifices that were made for it. (Not knocking on you, I hope you don't see it that way).

So, if you had to leave and live somewhere else, where would you go?

Personally, I just want to live in a place with a catholic community I can interact with and possibly raise a family in if I am to become a married man. I don't like secular western culture one bit. I see alot of sexual behavior and moral relativism around. I honestly don't know what I want in life but now I should be thinking about myself and what I desire (I hate the self, not myself particularly but the idea of putting oneself above others. It is bizarre to think of one's wants. Why do I need to follow my own path? Are desires innate or do I have to choose them? How does one know the path taken is correct?). Perhaps we should think of what we love to help us think of the future?

What do you desire out of a home? (sorry if that is too personal)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
as an American growing up in GA, of the places i have visited, Malmo Sweden was the most livable. a nice social system with reasonable healthcare for all, nice clean skies everywhere, gorgeous fit people all over the place cos people bike/walk everywhere, etc. thrift stores all over the place with records and books from around Europe. Copenhagen is a 30 min train ride away. you can just get a bus to Berlin or wherever you want to go and do a weekend trip to another country for less change than a night out at the bar.

secretly i harbor a desire to live in Japan. someday i will. i took several years of Japanese language courses and can see going there to do ESL. on the weekends i would busk with a guitar playing southern cowboy songs and authentic American rock n roll. and of course the spas! i wouldnt mind sitting in more hot tubs...

Breakage

Oh, well I'm sorry to hear that. As an american, while I find many flaws with my country I personally could never hate it. It's my home and I feel blessed to have the opportunities I have and the sacrifices that were made for it. (Not knocking on you, I hope you don't see it that way).

So, if you had to leave and live somewhere else, where would you go?

Personally, I just want to live in a place with a catholic community I can interact with and possibly raise a family in if I am to become a married man. I don't like secular western culture one bit. I see alot of sexual behavior and moral relativism around. I honestly don't know what I want in life but now I should be thinking about myself and what I desire (I hate the self, not myself particularly but the idea of putting oneself above others. It is bizarre to think of one's wants. Why do I need to follow my own path? Are desires innate or do I have to choose them? How does one know the path taken is correct?). Perhaps we should think of what we love to help us think of the future?

What do you desire out of a home? (sorry if that is too personal)

Nah, that's fine. I think I'd want to live somewhere where there's a sense of humility and shared values. In my view, you just don't get that in a place like London. Everyone operates on vastly different moral principles, which makes daily life more unpredictable (and unpleasant) than it needs to be.

The "community" that is often depicted in British soap operas such as EastEnders or Coronation Street doesn't really exist in real-life London.

As London becomes more diverse, its society becomes increasingly atomised to the point where you just end up feeling a sense of cultural alienation.
Though I am not religious myself, I think the loss of community has to do with the abandonment of religious belief and the cultural values which emerged from it. It's become fashionable among so-called enlightened British progressives to reframe British history as nothing but a tale of oppression and plunder.

The optimist in me would like to think old-fashioned English values such as self-restraint, reticence, marriage being the bedrock of family life etc – values which were once synonymous with Britain in the past – still exist in some residual form in more rural parts of England, but these days I'm not so sure (I've never visited such areas).

Last edited:

Halo0629

Took a vacation to japan like 4 years ago, best vacation ever and I really want to live there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom