• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters - Console release 5/5/2017 - New Trailer

Mifune

Mehmber
Really excited about this. I loved Dreamfall so much.

Question for anyone who might know: Should I replay the earlier games? It's been a long time.

wouwie

I was so looking forward to a new Dreamfall game when the kickstarter was announced. I loved the previous game (never finished the first game due to various reasons). I waited and waited until the console version was going to be released. But while waiting and reading through the official thread when each new chapter was released, my excitement and anticipation diminished, seeing how troubled the whole game development seems to have been. Also, it's going to be interesting to see how it performs on console. Apparently, the game didn't run well on a decently specced pc.

So the big question (for those who have already played it): is this worth buying?

HooYaH

I was so looking forward to a new Dreamfall game when the kickstarter was announced. I loved the previous game (never finished the first game due to various reasons). I waited and waited until the console version was going to be released. But while waiting and reading through the official thread when each new chapter was released, my excitement and anticipation diminished, seeing how troubled the whole game development seems to have been. Also, it's going to be interesting to see how it performs on console. Apparently, the game didn't run well on a decently specced pc.

So the big question (for those who have already played it): is this worth buying?

Would wait for performance on consoles since this game runs on Unity.

sorry for the bump but I just watched the trailer and got interested. What should I know about the franchise, I think there is another game. Thanks in advance

sorry for the bump but I just watched the trailer and got interested. What should I know about the franchise, I think there is another game. Thanks in advance

Dreamfall Chapters is the third in the series. The previous games are:

1. The Longest Journey (PC)
2. Dreamfall (PC, Xbox/backwards compatible on Xbox 360)

Lucifon

So...how is it? Has anyone got it? I've got too much to play right now so I'll be picking this up slightly later when it drops in price a bit, but I'm very interested.

Aeana

There's a couple of story recap videos that Red Thread put out to get you up to speed on Dreamfall, but IIRC they don't cover TLJ much.

Was so disappointed by this, endless amount of backtracking through repeated areas, awful puzzles that make it more in line with hidden object games, and the budget constraints are felt by the second episode and it only gets worse by the finale. Even the story goes nowhere.

Lucifon

Was so disappointed by this, endless amount of backtracking through repeated areas, awful puzzles that make it more in line with hidden object games, and the budget constraints are felt by the second episode and it only gets worse by the finale. Even the story goes nowhere.

Oh :( That does not sound good. Maybe I should give this one a miss.

So...how is it? Has anyone got it? I've got too much to play right now so I'll be picking this up slightly later when it drops in price a bit, but I'm very interested.

I got partway into the third episode on PC before stopping to wait for the console release. It's... very slowly paced compared to Dreamfall. I don't think the change to an episodic structure did the game any favors. Feels like it's just building to cliffhangers without really getting into the meat of the story. But I haven't played the whole game yet.

Aeana

Frankly, I really liked it. I haven't played the last episode yet due to getting distracted, but I liked everything up to that point.

Dreamfall Chapters is the third in the series. The previous games are:

1. The Longest Journey (PC)
2. Dreamfall (PC, Xbox/backwards compatible on Xbox 360)
it seems the second game has been delisted https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Full-Game-Dreamfall-The-Longest-Journey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802415907d3
Ok, I read it wrong. I though it was 360 BC onX1

Do I need to play any of the first two games before jumping into the third one?

BAW

Banned
Normally I should have hated Dreamfall. Its shortcomings were very apparent to me. The puzzles were a joke. For most of the game you just had to go from point A to point B. Even when you went to meet the fabled Guardian-or-whatever-he-was-called, he basically was "lol, sorry, can't help you", another case of the story going nowhere in that mess of a game.

I should have hated it, but I didn't! I actually enjoyed my time in that world! Even just exploring the environments. So I am excited for this! It could be another bad game I like!

I will say, the very ending to this game is one of the best, most magical endings I've experienced in a video game - especially if you've played the previous two games. Experiencing that ending as a fan of the franchise is enough to warrant a purchase, imo.

it seems the second game has been delisted https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Full-Game-Dreamfall-The-Longest-Journey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802415907d3
Ok, I read it wrong. I though it was 360 BC onX1

Do I need to play any of the first two games before jumping into the third one?

Jumping into this game would be like starting with season 5 of Game of Thrones. Why even bother ? But frankly, its a really, really poor game. The story gets diluted and isnt interesting. The gameplay is really poor thought out, layd out and is just a chore. I waited so much for a sequel to Dreamfall only to end up droping the game at the third episode because its just really awful to play. Play original Longest Journey game instead if you want, otherwise forget about this franchise

After Longest Journey, I thought Dreamfall was a huge step down, in terms of gameplay. The puzzles were too simple, combat boring. But the story...DAMN! Dreamfall had an amazing story. Having played through Dreamfall Chapters, I think it's a very worthy sequel. Better puzzles, great music, and the story is just as good, with a number of great characters.

As for "should I play earlier games", I would definitely play the first Dreamfall first. This is a direct continuation, and I would imagine the story would be difficult to follow if you haven't played Dreamfall. Dreamfall is very easy, so you could play through it for the story without much effort. The Longest Journey isn't as important - you may want to treat that game as a prequel, to be played after Dreamfall Chapters. It has a different main character, and only a few characters come back for Dreamfall (though the ones that do are kind-of important). At the time of its launch Longest Journey was the most amazing point-and-click adventure ever, telling a great story, having high resolution graphics, and fixing a lot of the problems with the genre. But these days it's old-school, frustrating and antiquated.

Echoing others, you should play Dreamfall before starting this, but you do not need to play The Longest Journey (I haven't personally). Dreamfall kind of starts a different narrative track than TLJ, with new characters, though it would be helpful to at least read the Wikipedia entry for TLJ so you have a basic understanding of who April Ryan is and what she did.

Dreamfall is a really easy and accessible game to jump into-- I see it as almost more of a "narrative experience" akin to a modern Telltale game than an adventure or puzzle game. And what an experience it is, really outstanding world building and story telling.

For me the jury is still out on how worthy a successor Dreamfall Chapters will end up being.

Green Yoshi

I really enjoyed the PC version. It is certainly not as good as The Longest Journey, but I liked it more than Dreamfall, that had some annoying scenes.

The game takes its time, so if you are looking for a short experience like the Telltale adventures, that's the wrong game for you.

Hastati

I will say, the very ending to this game is one of the best, most magical endings I've experienced in a video game - especially if you've played the previous two games. Experiencing that ending as a fan of the franchise is enough to warrant a purchase, imo.

This is great to hear. I never played the first one but adored the second, and it definitely needed an ending.

llien

Loved the longest journey/dreamfall.
But unity engine has killed the chapters for me. =(

My gog.com copy is still waiting for a pc upgrade.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Interested. Loved the 2nd game on 360. Will have to get through some other games, first, though. Disappointed to hear the mixed feedback, but oh well, it was always a rather weird game.

The thing I liked about the second game was that the emotional atmosphere seemed very different (more melancholy, perhaps) than any game I'd played to that point. It really struck me.

Humdinger

Gold Member
So by the lack of activity in this thread, I'm assuming no one has been playing it on console?

Edit: Revisits thread 24 hrs later. *crickets*

Guess not!

I watched some twitch streams. It seemed awfully slow-paced, with lots of wandering city streets, talking to vendors, and politics. Didn't really appeal to me. I missed the other-worldly elements of the previous games. I'm sure they're there somewhere, but what I mostly saw was pedestrian, all pretty normal mundane life stuff, with a dash of weirdness here and there (e.g., talk with a witchy woman, girl comes up and says she dreams about you).

Seems like a risk for $30, lackluster reviews, lack of interest, and that feeling of boredom I got watching the streams. I might check it out again during a slow period later, but I guess I'll put it on the back burner for now.

Top Bottom