• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

SparkTR

This game is good, but I really hope they go through with TLJH. That opening story overview made me remember just how fantastic TLJ was, though judging by recent posts it's probably not going to happen :(

Teppic

Finished Book 3. I liked it a bit more than book 2. Overall I like the game very much, even if it has some issues. The story makes up for the shortcomings in the gameplay. I also think the game looks great, especially in Stark.

I don't really have framerate problems like others seems to have. It's not 60 fps, but I get from 30 to 60 fps with the highest settings and V-Sync on, except SSAO which is set to off, and shadow distance is set to 15. Using motion blur at 75% makes up for the times when the framerate goes down. Using a GTX 760, so I'm happy I can play it pretty well with the graphic settings I use.

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, it seems that the gog version still doesn't have the patch that fixes the choice bug from ep 2 >_>

As shit as it is from RTG's side, I really don't like how gog handles episodic games, doubt i'll get another one from them.

Taruranto

Alright book 3.

First this chapter felt really short. Maybe because there wasn't too much wandering around.

The fist couple of "puzzles" in Kian were a bit... harder? Mostly because the game didn't really provide any clue on how to progress.

So Kian is gay, eh? I don't think they did a good job at foreshadowing it, even in the previous episode when he talk with Enu about his (lack) of sex life I didn't pick any clue, and I'm usually good at spotting sub-text.

Zoe's plot FINALLY picks up pace and we got back to Arcadia.

Aaaand he's back.

Overall though the episodic structure is really hurting the pacing, especially this episode.

I'm not sure whether this chapter was short or it just felt that way because book 2 was so long. Definitely felt like it ended just as things were getting exciting. Laughed at the silly excuse they had in place for
Kian not to interact with Zoe

Everything with Zoe in the last segment of the chapter was hilarious. Ordering the fruity drink had me smirking pretty hard. Was really bothered by her
constantly SHOUTING while talking to shitbot while sneaking around.

Everdred

I loved the first 2 releases and played them in a much smaller window... I almost completely forgot what happened in the last 2. The gap makes it impossible to follow the story. A message would pop up saying there were consequences but I couldn't remember what I did initially.

On a side note, I'm hoping the last decision I made makes things interesting, it was the least popular of the 2.

They have started a dev blog. The first one goes over the process of creating the first 3 games and the issues that came up along the way.

An important and welcome note about Book 4 development:

We’ve also put a lot of work into porting the game to Unity 5. Performance has been one of our weaknesses, and we’ve heard plenty of complaints, so we’ve been keen to find a solution. It’s been a long process but we’ll finish porting everything over in time for the release of Book Four. This means that all previous episodes will run on the new version of the engine, and, hopefully, this will improve performance across the board. We’ll have more technical details about the Unity 5 port in the weeks ahead, probably in an upcoming dev blog.

wouwie

They have started a dev blog. The first one goes over the process of creating the first 3 games and the issues that came up along the way.

An important and welcome note about Book 4 development:

Interesting and honest blog post. It seems they started Dreamfall Chapters "unprepaired" and are trying to catch up with things in between making the actual episodes (e.g. transition to Unity 5 in between episode 3 and 4). It must be a really stressfull time for the developers but hopefully also a good learning experience for their next game.

I hope the transition to Unity 5 brings it a step closer to releasing on PS4. I'd love to buy this game.

No news on release dates or anything, just the usual portrait art for the new chapter.
CQKL-GmW8AA41N8.jpg

CQKL-kWXAAAJoyb.jpg

Sober

Finally got around to finishing Book 3.

Maybe it's just me and the gap between episodes seems really long on top of the game not doing recaps (which is kinda annoying for an episodic game to not have), but I don't really feel like the game is really building to anything. Or well, it is, but it's done 3/5 of itself, but I feel like the story is just getting started.

Maybe Kian next book will be the big thing. Not sure what exactly Zoe needs to do now exact in very vague terms either. That or her goal to find the first dreamer could be an entire game itself and, well, like I said, not much left to go.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the G-man from Half-Life shows up at the end of book 5, says some cryptic things, and puts Zoe in stasis.

inm8num2

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1376378

As of this week, Book Four is slightly delayed. The reason for this is our long-gestating port of the game from Unity 4.6 to Unity 5.x (we're currently using version 5.2).
How long of a delay are we looking at? No more than a couple of weeks — based on our own internal release date for Book Four (which was unannounced but imminent). We do need to release the Unity 5 port of the existing episodes first, to iron out all possible technical issues, before releasing a whole new episode filled with lots of new content.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah, given how shitty this game runs, I'm looking forward to the engine conversion more than the next episode (put off episode 3 until it happens).

Delay got bigger. They halted production on Chapter 4 due to the amount of bugs in converting the first 3 chapters. Since they can't wait until December for the next build of Unity to fix these bugs they gotta concentrate on workarounds. They're shooting for beta testing of the earlier chapters next week, and then Chapter 4 sometime in November, I assume late. Their original target for release was today, so that still doesn't seem like too bad of a delay to me given everything they're dealing with.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's a shame the release schedule has been so busted. The game has already been hard to recommend because knowledge of (at least) the first Dreamfall, if not TLJ is pretty much required to get into it... Having just played thru Life is Strange and seeing that game develop a widespread, fervent following has been bittersweet because I think this franchise deserves that too and unfortunately only gets it from a much smaller audience.

inm8num2

Another update

Good news: we’re getting very close to having a beta-testable version of Dreamfall Chapters: The Fabled Unity 5.2 Version. For reasons of transparency, we’re going to share a list of the highest priority bugs the team's currently working on.

If all goes well, there should be a public beta later this week (fingers crossed, as usual! We’ll send out another update when that happens). After that, we’ll continue to fix blockers and priority 1 bugs until we feel confident enough to release a general patch.

And then we’ll get back to finishing Book Four: Revelations.

Hope everything goes well for Ragnar and the team.

Corpekata

Banned
Game runs WAY better on the Beta. Still not perfect, has a few stutters here and there, but no more running through the city at 30-45 FPS generally on hardware that should crush it. Spent a few minutes running around Propast and only issue seemed to be those stutters, think it's probably asset streaming related. All settings at max on a 980ti and never dipped below 60. Which, y'know, is common sense, but don't tell that to Unity games.

I've still got episode 3 to play so I think I will be waiting for this to clear Beta to really dip into the improvements.

Conezays

Game runs WAY better on the Beta. Still not perfect, has a few stutters here and there, but no more running through the city at 30-45 FPS generally on hardware that should crush it. Spent a few minutes running around Propast and only issue seemed to be those stutters, think it's probably asset streaming related. All settings at max on a 980ti and never dipped below 60. Which, y'know, is common sense, but don't tell that to Unity games.

I've still got episode 3 to play so I think I will be waiting for this to clear Beta to really dip into the improvements.

Nice, thanks for the impressions. Enjoyed what I played a fair a bit of Ep 1-2, but held off once I heard about the change in engine coming; glad to see it's turning out well.

Still some pretty massive framerate dips, but now with a lot higher starting framerate. On my 980 I dropped below 30 fps once in a large area of daytime Marcuria and that was only 28. General FPS now when roaming both cities is around 45. The scene in the last chapter where
Zoe first walks out of the Inn and into daytime Marcuria
is now in the 40-50 range instead of 15.

Now this was all with a 980, but it was with all the bells and whistles on too.

- J - D -

The game is in a much better state now -- it's quite astonishing a jump, especially if you were there from the beginning slogging through Propast at 20fps.

I really want Digital Foundry to do an article about the improvements, but this game might be too low-key a title for them to put in the time, considering all the other big titles coming out left and right this season.

Man, that's a lot of work and money. Ragnar and RTG gets all of my respect.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Gees thats actually a pretty in-depth article about the behind the scenes. At least form appearances, havent gotten very far but its long.

Corpekata

Banned
Seems like a nightmare but it was probably needed, if not for the general PC improvements, but because they wanted to do console versions. There was no way it was going to work on PS4 on Unity 4, save maybe running at like 20 FPS.

Might be an article that's new thread worthy.

Kezen

Banned
Seems like a nightmare but it was probably needed, if not for the general PC improvements, but because they wanted to do console versions. There was no way it was going to work on PS4 on Unity 4, save maybe running at like 20 FPS.

Might be an article that's new thread worthy.

Unity 4 was not going to be supported for much longer anyway.

jb1234

I think at this point, I'm settling with waiting for the whole game to get finished. I played through the first chapter and thought it was alright (although not amazing) but I'm not really an episodic fan.

LiK

I only played through the first two sections of the Ep 1. might just restart after the game is done. altho sometimes they tweet or RT mild spoilers which annoy me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Booted up the updated version of the game and it seemed to have a much smoother framerate from what i remember. Im still basically holding off on a play-through though until they are done with it. There were some stutters still but i think they definitely increased the fps by a lot in areas. Didnt necessarily notice any differences in lighting or anything but that could be area specific. It is a shame they went the episodic approach with this. Dreamfall is such a great game and i have great memories of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
why would a software development company switch engine versions mid-development of an already partially released game? that's insane. there's next no no perceivable benefit for the end-user.

^ someone tell me why this is a stupid thing to say, because it might be.

derFeef

why would a software development company switch engine versions mid-development of an already partially released game? that's insane. there's next no no perceivable benefit for the end-user.

^ someone tell me why this is a stupid thing to say, because it might be.

Because performance problems was one if not the major complaint. I think it's fair to say that they listened to the community and fixed the most common problem.

Top Bottom