• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamhack Winter 2014 $250,000 Tournament: Final CS:GO Championship of 2014

K.Sabot

*Info and pic taken from Dreamhack website*

STREAM 1
STREAM 2
Groups updates and info.
csgov05_w700_h247.jpg

Location: DreamHack Winter 2014, Hall B, Elmia, Jönköping, Sweden
Sponsors: HyperX, Roccat & Bredbandsbolaget
Partners: Inferno Online, Nordic Choice & Björks Buss
No. of teams: 16
Tournament format: Group stage (4 groups with 4 teams) played in Dual Elimination style BO1. Top-2 advance. Single elimination Playoffs BO3.
Prize pool: $250,000
Prize distribution:
1. $100,000
2. $50,000
3-4. $22,000
5-8. $10,000
9-16. $2,000
CS:GO Competitive Format for Dreamhack Winter 2014
- 30 Rounds, 15 on each side (Counter Terrorist / Terrorist)
- Teams can tie 15-15 and go into 6 rounds of Overtime, 3 rounds played on each side and can go indefinitely into more Overtime.
The Maps:
  • de_nuke
  • de_dust2
  • de_inferno
  • de_mirage
  • de_cache
  • de_cobblestone
  • de_overpass
Schedule
Group A:
Thursday, 27th of November 2014
10:30 Warm-up
12:00 Group A1 – Fnatic vs. Bravado Gaming
13:00 Group A.2 – Cloud 9
vs. HellRaisers
14:00 Group A.3 – Winner vs. Winner
15:00 Group A.4 – Loser vs. Loser
16:00 Group A.5 – A.3 Loser vs. A.4. Winner

Group B
10:30 Warm-up
12:00 Group B.1 – Titan vs. PENTA Sports
13:00 Group B.2 – Team Dignitas vs. iBUYPOWER
14:00 Group B.3 – Winner vs. Winner
15:00 Group B.4 – Loser vs. Loser
16:00 Group B.5 – B.3 Loser vs. B.4. Winner

Group C
17.00 Warm-up
18:30 Group C.1 – LDLC vs. ESC Gaming
19:30 Group C.2 – NiP-Gaming vs. Planetkey Dynamics
20:30 Group C.3 – Winner vs. Winner
21:30 Group C.4 – Loser vs. Loser
22:30 Group C.5 – C.3 Loser vs. C.4. Winner

Group D
17.00 Warm-up
18:30 Group D.1 – Virtus.Pro vs. myXMG
19:30 Group D.2 – Na’Vi vs. Epsilon
20:30 Group D.3 – Winner vs. Winner
21:30 Group D.4 – Loser vs. Loser
22:30 Group D.5 – D.3 Loser vs. D.4. Winner

Playoffs
Friday, 28th of November 2014
10.00 Round of 8 – Match #1 (BO3)
13.30 Round of 8 – Match #2 (BO3)
17.00 Round of 8 – Match #3 (BO3)
20.30 Round of 8 – Match #4 (BO3)

Saturday, 29th of November 2014
13.00 Semifinal #1 (BO3)
16.30 Semifinal #2 (BO3)
21.00 Grand Final (BO3)
NEW WATCHERS REFER TO THIS! v.2
Counterstrike is a first person shooter focused on tactics, strategy, and economic management.

-Terrorists' objective is to move into a bomb site and plant the bomb.
-Counter-Terrorists' objective is to defend the bombsites from the Terrorists.

-Both teams will use grenades of varying types to break defenses, gain position advantages, or gain safer passage through dangerous areas.
-Both teams must buy their weapons, armor, grenades and other items with money they get from kills, winning rounds, and planting the bomb.

It's a game of positioning as well as twitch aiming, and it is arguably the fastest growing game as an esport since its comeback in CS:GO.
Terms to know:

Peek - Challenging an entrenched defender, usually around corners and without the use of grenades to break that defense. Peeking is a player basically saying to their opponent "I think I'm better than you, even if you're at advantage."
Pick - Usually referring to getting a first kill, which sets up a crucial advantage for the team who gets the "first pick".
Rush - Hyper aggressive, usually all-in push usually done on Terrorist side to break a weak defense on a bomb site.
Set-up - Grenade / movement coordination for moving in on an area, one of my favorite things to watch as it can be very elaborate.
Rotate - Repositioning
Trade - Usually implies the trading of deaths between teams. Terrorist side will do this a lot to gain positions from entrenched CTs. One player will go up ahead and push a corner or a peek spot and sacrifice himself (with full intent of killing the entrenched CT of course) so that the teammate immediately behind him could catch him off guard and "trade" the kill back. Big mind game component. You'll see CT's prefire peek positions after kills because they anticipate another T to come in for a trade.
Pre-fire Firing on a spot without seeing an enemy with intent to kill anyone who crosses into his sight. Not completely random, usually a CT will see a shadow of a player running into his position, or will hear his footsteps.
Retake - CTs trying to move into an occupied bomb site to defuse the bomb.
Spray / Spray Pattern - Continuously firing an automatic weapon. Guns in CS have heavy recoil, but consistent patterns of where the bullets will hit. Good players will reposition their crosshairs as they spray to control that pattern skillfully into an accurate point.

Molly - Molitov cocktail.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Strategy related terms:

Buy / Full Buy Round - When a team has the economy to buy weapons / grenades / armor to maximize their potential.
Save / Eco Round - When a team does not spend, or spends very little on a round so they can afford a buy round later. You'll see a lot of Terrorist rushes on Eco rounds. Best thing that can happen for a team that ecos is a bomb plant (gives money) or a kill on a player with a valuable weapon.
Pistol Round - A pistol only round that usually dictates who has the advantage the first 4 rounds unless the other team does a...
Anti-Eco Buy - When a team buys inferior weapons that they can afford on an eco round in hopes of catching the buying team off guard (who expect pistols). Usually considered a map specific type of...
Force / Force-up / Force-buy - When a team does a desperation / risky buy round where they can't exactly afford the things they need to win a round safely (grenades / body & head armor)

Weapons you'll see a lot of:

-AK47: Terrorist's main rifle, and probably the best general rifle in the game. Can kill armored opponents with a single headshot. Considered a hard to handle weapon, but experienced players understand how to control its spray pattern.
-M4A1 / M4A1-s: Main CT Rifles, can not kill with a single headshot on armored opponents. Generally considered an easier weapon to handle.
-AWP: The one click terror, a sniper rifle that can singlehandedly deny entire swaths of the map to a team. Look for this rifle being used in long, narrow areas with few flanking positions. Very expensive.

-Famas / Galil: Cheaper alternatives to the main CT/T rifles, usually bought because a team favors having ample amount of grenades or armor rather than having optimal weaponry.
- "Autosnipers": Niche and expensive weapons, but can be positioned in such a way to absolutely demolish multiple enemies in a row.

General Advice
- Glance at the minimap every now and then, the casters make a good effort to expand the minimap in situations where movement and rotation is important.
- Take note of the players crosshair placement as they move around the map and you'll find that their magical headshots are based on prediction as well as pure twitch skill.
- Don't worry about which map is sided more to T or CT.
- Don't worry about the minute differences between T and CT weapons, just know that Rifles > All and every team on every side wants them more than anything.
- Don't worry about how confusing de_cobblestone and de_overpass are, I'm confused too.
- Don't be confused about all the weapon skins, they don't affect the gameplay. If it looks like a certain gun, but has a different skin, it's probably the same gun. Also that skin is probably really expensive, like really expensive.

Also, some help making sense of the spectator UI, most of the other stuff is either obvious by looking at it, or unimportant stats for neeeeeeeeeeeeerds.
ZNRwxI0.png

Teams and Pickem

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That 15-0 by Cloud 9. Nearly detected a Fraud in the South African Bravado.

Too bad they lost the pistol round. I wanted to scream FRAUD at my monitor. :(

That 15-0 by Cloud 9. Nearly detected a Fraud in the South African Bravado.

Too bad they lost the pistol round. I wanted to scream FRAUD at my monitor. :(

I felt a little bad for the South Africans. 15-0 blowout is not a nice thing to happen on the world stage.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I felt a little bad for the South Africans. 15-0 blowout is not a nice thing to happen on the world stage.

Steam "Team Pick 'Em" had them at 4%. I seriously doubt most everyone had confidence in them winning, but damn at the blowout.

Rivitur

Banned
Steam "Team Pick 'Em" had them at 4%. I seriously doubt most everyone had confidence in them winning, but damn at the blowout.
Believe it or not but they are top 2 in South African scence. They have constant top 4 finishes in the tournaments.

so, how's B again? Dignitas went through? edit: nvm saw the hltv link

also lol just noticed your schedule has Titan and Epsilon

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Still using Cobblestone? I wonder how much longer that will last.

K.Sabot

Still using Cobblestone? I wonder how much longer that will last.

I expect it to be replaced by Season once operation vanguard is over. Although valve's involvement in forcing overpass has made it a map that is somewhat a fixture now, who knows.

trolho

Neo Member
cya gold pick em up trophy :(

btw, where do you guys check the pick'em up predictions? can't seem to find them anywhere

Top Bottom