• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dress code "no affliction, no tapout, no ed hardy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
FabCam said:
Wow, it's quite bizarre to think that Ed Hardy is worn by douche bags in the US :lol You can't buy it in the UK, so anyone wearing ED Hardy is someone who cares about fashion. I have a couple of tees. They add character to otherwise plain shirts.
I think Hollister is the premier douchebag brand, but I need evidence from fellow gaffers to back up my theory.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
4ub15h.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bring back hats, hats are fucking awesome.

Binabik15

FabCam said:
Wow, it's quite bizarre to think that Ed Hardy is worn by douche bags in the US :lol You can't buy it in the UK, so anyone wearing ED Hardy is someone who cares about fashion. I have a couple of tees. They add character to otherwise plain shirts.

You know, those douches also care about "fashion". They look horrible no matter why you wear them.

The clothes also drasticaly cut in price here in Germany (many stores had up to 70% off of the stuff last month when I was shopping), so there´s hope that Ed Hardy is out and I don´t have to see it anymore.

Affliction shirts cost $58(banner ads:lol )?
I just get plain t-shirts from like Kohls or something. I only wear designs if it's a band shirt or something because most designs are hideous.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
bjork said:
Do you purposely not like shit that's good for a reason?
I don't like "clunky-squared base" clothes and the american suit style. I have my own ideas of what looks good, and I doubt very few people would like my style. Also Mad Men isn't really all that realistic when it comes to style.

EDIT:at least the mods wore suits that contorted to their bodies, some people need to visit a tailor asap. I love the mod look on men. The British are underrated when it comes to mens fashion.

Vox-Pop said:
I don't like "clunky-squared base" clothes and the american suit style. I have my own ideas of what looks good, and I doubt very few people would like my style. Also Mad Men isn't really all that realistic when it comes to style.

Well you're not really the voice of the people then are you?

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Wormdundee said:
Well you're not really the voice of the people then are you?
haha, I get it...took me a while. :(

I like more modern looking stuff. Style for one should stay in the past, even though it never does.

I think this looks good:
2cmuqlh.jpg

Once when I had a bad eye infection (to the point where I had to wear an eyepatch for like a week) I opted to wear a bandana over my eye instead :lol

I'd imagine it looked pretty stupid but I went to the club with it anyways.

I love the old style of tailored suits everywhere, but I think the hat is a bit too much these days. I wear really over the top accessories (like once a headband conceiled under my hear that had a long Native-like feather thing hanging from it) and arm gauntlet things too.

Beardz

Vox-Pop said:

I like more modern looking stuff. Style for one should stay in the past, even though it never does.

I think this looks good:
2cmuqlh.jpg

I'm confused, is he or she? :|

Vox-Pop said:

I think this looks good:
2cmuqlh.jpg
If you're a guy, I think it looks stupid as fuck.

FabCam said:
You can buy it in the UK, the shop where I work definitely sells it and it definitely appeals to the British equivalent of the guido.

Sealda

Banned
Vox-Pop said:

I think this looks good:
2cmuqlh.jpg

What is this, i do not even know where to start...

Its just a bad bad combination of details. First the hat, then the necklace and finally no shirt! I would remove the hat first and then the necklace. No shirt can be okay sometimes. It actually can look kinda good on darker skinned people.

EDIT: BTW, is this not why you should never ever post pictures of yourself at GAF.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Discotheque said:
It's a hipster.....so it's hard to tell.

That's a hipster? I'm sure if someone was walking through the mission (hipster central in San Francisco) like that he'd get more sneers and laughs than any compliments :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
wenis said:
That's a hipster? I'm sure if someone was walking through the mission (hipster central in San Francisco) like that he'd get more sneers and laughs than any compliments :lol

At this point hipster is thrown around looser than Zimbabwe money. It's an even broader stroke than "alternative" was back in the 90s.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
SnakeXs said:
At this point hipster is thrown around looser than Zimbabwe money. It's an even broader stroke than "alternative" was back in the 90s.

Hipster is the new emo which was the new alternative. Retarded 'label'.

I'm too lazy to be fashionable. I'm not a slob by any means, but I'd rather not go out and spend $500 on clothes, then spend an hour figuring out what I'm going to be wearing for the day. I try to keep it simple. The t-shirt and jeans thing is for me, most of the time anyhow. (Except for winter.)

Enosh

thirty said:
I atm in college so I am standart jeans+t-shirt

but when I get a job I am totaly going suit, suits look awesome imo

except suit+bow ties, that looks fucking horrible, I hate bow ties

Enosh said:
I atm in college so I am standart jeans+t-shirt

but when I get a job I am totaly going suit, suits look awesome imo

except suit+bow ties, that looks fucking horrible, I hate bow ties

Seriously. The only reason you should EVER wear a bow-tie is if you are wearing a tux.

Vox-Pop said:
Mad Men is everything that is bad about mens tailoring.

Well, after this comment, you did note your taste is unusual.

Still, this is not an example of bad tailoring. This show is all about the details.

chaostrophy said:
I'm not that picky when it comes to clothes, but one absolute rule I do have is that I won't wear anything that makes its brand name or logo obvious. That just screams tacky to me, like it turns me into a walking advertisement. Looks like a lot of these brands violate that rule, so fuck 'em.

*high five*

I'm exactly that way.

To actually contribute to this thread, I love to dress in a good suit and tie. All of my suits are tailored to fit. I used suits (and sometimes fedoras) all the time in high school and early part of college, and then I stopped. Imagine my surprise when I see people walking around with suits and ties like that. I was mystified until I recently Mad Men was behind the trend.

_Bro

Banned
Clothing: It's all about the people on the internet you can impress when you get your picture taken.

I guess I don't see the big deal in what you wear if you get to have sex (aka take your clothes off with your desired gender/s). I say this while wearing a semi-turtleneck, cut off jeans, ankle socks, and low-top converse that obviously need to be replaced.

Hey I'm all for wearing suits, but that shit gets really hot...i just like wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. It's just more work than I'm interested in getting into. If I had high class places to go to then I would love to wear suits, but i'm not gonna wear a suit to the bar, or hanging out with my friends going to the movies. I like being comfortable :\

Dead Man

Holy shit. I just checked out the Ed Hardy Australia site, to see what they were like. And all it is is a bunch of b grade celebrity photos with big captions saying how much they like Ed Hardy! :lol Pathetic.

Enjoy! http://www.edhardy.com.au/

Edit:
santouras said:
I avoid like the plague all shirts that have brand name plastered all over them. Stuff like ed hardy is only able to be sold for such a price because of the massive,horrible logo. I am very much of the opinion that I don't want to pay large amounts of money to advertise a brand. The only real exception is sports teams.
Exactly.

santouras

Beardz said:
Dear GAF I need an advise... which are the non douchebags brands?
I avoid like the plague all shirts that have brand name plastered all over them. Stuff like ed hardy is only able to be sold for such a price because of the massive,horrible logo. I am very much of the opinion that I don't want to pay large amounts of money to advertise a brand. The only real exception is sports teams.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Beardz said:
Dear GAF I need an advise... which are the non douchebags brands?

If they are cool enough that they don't need to plaster their label on the very front of their clothes, non-douche.

If the label's brand is the focal point, but it's modest and neat (RVCA comes to mind) it's not a douche brand.

If it's blank and the only way you know what it is by the size font, it's not a douchy brand.

Now go...find clothes that will make you different!

LCfiner

Vox-Pop said:

I think this looks good:
2cmuqlh.jpg

holy shit. worst taste on Gaf, ever. close up shop boys. it's over.

or, perhaps being optimistic, greatest joke post on Gaf ever. in which case, hooray!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
wenis said:

That's what I do when I see some hipster on the streets with with skin tight pink-ish jeans.

Max@GC

effingvic said:
Those shirts look like somebody spammed some free grunge brushes on Photoshop. Terrible. EXPRESS did it better.

I too wish I could wear suits more often.

Yup. Way too overdone and cheesy.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, bow ties are awesome. You just have to tie them in a roguish or somewhat careless way or they look too prim or as if they're fake pin-on one for kids or super-dorks or something.

But I fucking love it when someone pulls off a bow tie. It's pretty much a mark of individuality now that it's being gradually phased out, and I've always found it rather rakish.

demon said:
Express has gone to hell. Half their non-t-shirts have skulls on them, and their t-shirts are as trashy as this Ed Hardy shit.

Their stuff like 3-4 years ago were pretty nice, when it was more artsy and less grungy. The grunge/destroyed graphics are probably the worst thing in Men's fashion today.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
demon said:
Express has gone to hell. Half their non-t-shirts have skulls on them, and their t-shirts are as trashy as this Ed Hardy shit.

Yeah, totally agreed... I used to like them a few years back, since their clothes were kinda cheap and looked decent enough (got a year or two mileage out of them), but they went the whole Ed Hardy/Affliction tacky route and it looks like ass. Same with Guess, they used to make nice clothes but a lot of it now looks like what Nomura would design if he was a guido.

Glad to see the clubs ban the Ed Hardy type stuff, even though it was an easy way of screening out douchebags.

I just get Van Heusen Studio Shirts + Jeans. Has been fine for work.

Pants + Shirt when going to client site.

Wearing suits would be overkill, even though I like them.

MaxSteel

thirty said:
i never believed in the notion that dressing up for men meant, "oh, let me wear my good tee" or "i'm wearing my sister's jeans tonight." heck, if i had it my way we'd go back to

it depends on where you're going. i have expensive tees, hoodies, jeans, and sneakers that i'll wear to certain places - and i do consider it dressing up, in a way.

but normally i prefer khakis, open button down, and top-siders or vans or something like that

I went out with some friends on Saturday and saw no less than 15 guys with Affliction shirts. I also saw two guys wearing the same Affliction shirt cross paths and then totally bro down with each other like running into someone who looks and dresses exactly like you is the coolest fucking thing ever.

Aesius

I have three Express shirts that look Ed Hardy-esque. I am ashamed to own them. I really don't know what I was thinking when I bought them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom