• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driv3r gets a pasting at Eurogamer

pilonv1

End of financial year pressures strike again!

I don't think the driving portions are that satisfactory either - they have that Midtown Madness feeling where some objects bring you to a dead stop (such as trees - try doing a jump near a tree and you'll get spun by it's leaves) and others you pass through. The size of the city is probably the only impressive thing.

ge-man

I feel insulted that Atari thinks that this could move 10 million units. Do they think the modern customer is so sheepish in their buying habits that they could get away with putting out something so awful? I hope this bombs very hard and destroys Atari while at the same time sending a message to developers and publishers who think that a hot license or a hip angle is enough to make a game.

What is it about the Atari name and bad decisions?

ge-man said:
I feel insulted that Atari thinks that this could move 10 million units. Do they think the modern customer is so sheepish in their buying habits that they could get away with putting out something so awful? I hope this bombs very hard and destroys Atari while at the same time sending a message to developers and publishers who think that a hot license or a hip angle is enough to make a game.

What is it about the Atari name and bad decisions?

If I hadn't seen any reviews of the game i'd buy it just based on the commercial which makes the game look absolutely amazing. So i'm sure Driver 3 will sell quite a bit right off the bat and then fade away. Kinda like SoE did. It'll proabbly end up selling around 2-3million though.

Calibur

BeOnEdge said:
driver 3 was HORRIBLE at e3. so bad in fact that i went to gamestop after day 3 and cancelled my preorder after alpha explained how it couldnt get any better because the game was already set to go gold. horrible horrible game.

I knew something was afoot when Reflections made up some cr@p that this game could not be done GameCube. Cause when I saw that statement I cancelled my preorder for PS2 straight away cause I knew Reflections struggling with Driv3r.

Driv3r can go in the cr@p game grave where Enter the Matrix and Tomb Raider resides.:)

SolidSnakex said:
If I hadn't seen any reviews of the game i'd buy it just based on the commercial which makes the game look absolutely amazing. So i'm sure Driver 3 will sell quite a bit right off the bat and then fade away. Kinda like SoE did. It'll proabbly end up selling around 2-3million though.

What's SoE?

Brannon

Looks like I'll just be getting the my gamecube Sonic Mega Collection

It's like a required purchase IMF :p

And let's not bring Wreckless' lightposts into this; those were intentionally left clippable, like certain sprite trees in GTA. And considering how that game was, it was a good decision.

But the link in this thread though; WTF.

Come to a dead halt. Wrap around the pole. Explode if you have to.

BOUNCE BACK LIKE A BALL AND TIPPLE OVER?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
i know it sounds petty to say, but the lamp posts is seriously one of the biggest problems with the driving portions of DRIV3R. whether you're escaping or chasing other cars, lamp posts (not cops!) are your biggest enemies. too bad, so sad.

but yeah, this game is an all-around disaster. but hey, fennec fox gave it an 8.5 in EGM so you should probably try it! :) <--- joke smiley disclaimer, i know you have a soft spot for the game, kevin.

and yes, the game is extremely unfinished. atari probably rushed it out the door to beat GTA: SA to the punch.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
chespace said:
but yeah, this game is an all-around disaster. but hey, fennec fox gave it an 8.5 in EGM so you should probably try it! :) <--- joke smiley disclaimer, i know you have a soft spot for the game, kevin.
Hat3r!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i know it sounds petty to say, but the lamp posts is seriously one of the biggest problems with the driving portions of DRIV3R. whether you're escaping or chasing other cars, lamp posts (not cops!) are your biggest enemies. too bad, so sad.

Not really suggesting that the game is actually good, but lamp posts really ARE rather deadly if you think about it...

In real life, a large metal lamp post would probably fall closer to Driv3r's posts than what you see in GTA. I mean, you can drive through lamp posts at full speed in GTA3 and only suffer minor damage. In real life, slamming into one of those things will REALLY f*ck you up. Obviously, you won't go flying all over the place like you see in Driv3r (and the posts will sustain some damage...possibly even falling over if hit hard enough).

If anything, your complain should be considered valid purely from a gameplay perspective rather than a realism one. Realism != fun...though this goes a bit TOO far, I think.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
these days, i'll take fun over realism any day.

just read my rallisport challenge 2 review, it basically encapsulates my philosophy.

i want to talk to the kids who actually finish DRIV3R next week. maybe they can show me how the game can be fun.

Just saw the Tv spot for the game. Oh man i think this game will sell alot just because they are marketing it as the next GTA.

Top Bottom