• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

I-hate-u

When I learned that the next game from Evolution would be DriveClub I was disappointed. They seem to excel off road racing that doing a game of the PGR nature seemed disappointing to me. Leave such types of racing games to GT and focus on making a fun off road open world game in the vein of Motorstorm. Heck, make it a hybrid of an open world/off road.

So far, The Crew is most promising next gen racer to me.

EDIT: I say this because no racer last gen has ever come close to the joy I had with Midnight Club 3 except the Motorstorm games and MCL:A. I know Evolution can handle multiple titles. Please be working on a next-gen Motorstorm or an open world racer.

Pistolero

I would say that everything I got to play at e3 Driveclub was the most disappointing. Game felt nowhere near as good as forza 5 or gt6 drive wise.

Not to dismiss your pov, but Evolution Studios game isn't supposed to feel like GT or Forza in terms of driving. It's an arcade game...

prarts

I never played any of the Motorstorms online, but god damn words cannot express how much fun I had with them. The sense of speed, the mud splashing, the crazy jumps and vistas, and the feeling of being in the middle of a stampede (especially terrifying when on a bike or ATV). It just hasn't been matched by anything else out there.
Going online with Pacific Rift was like this but 10x more intense. Variety of vehicles, track surfaces and routes and how you had to match all of it was so well thought-out, that is was mind blowing and added much depth to the game. It was like the game in the game, because track was randomly picked before each race and choosing right vehicle for it was key to win.
Absolutely one of the best games this gen and new IPs.
I'm in for DriveClub, but would hope that Motorstorm could make a comeback some time down the line. Something along the lines of Pacific Rift in particular.
Day one!

M_A_C

I would say that everything I got to play at e3 Driveclub was the most disappointing. Game felt nowhere near as good as forza 5 or gt6 drive wise.

how would you compare them in the graphics dept? From all the footage, I can't tell if one is particularly impressive or not.

meta4

When I learned that the next game from Evolution would be DriveClub I was disappointed. They seem to excel off road racing that doing a game of the PGR nature seemed disappointing to me. Leave such types of racing games to GT and focus on making a fun off road open world game in the vein of Motorstorm. Heck, make it a hybrid of an open world/off road.

EDIT: I say this because no racer last gen has ever come close to the joy I had with Midnight Club 3 except the Motorstorm games and MCL:A. I know Evolution can handle multiple titles. Please be working on a next-gen Motorstorm or an open world racer.

The crew has terrible handling apparently. It is one of the worst controlling games at E3 according to a few journo's so dont get your hype too high.

Shaneus

Are you referring to Midnight Club LA? Damn, I loved that game. Also, it sounds like you never played a PGR game last gen. You should rectify that.

I'm not sure why people are so keen on open-world racers, either. IMO if you do something that's open world, there's bound to be less detail in that world because of how the assets are spread out. I'd prefer titles that follow the PGR model of having certain cities/locations, about 15 variations of tracks (not counting reverse) and that way they can focus on all the details that are visible from those tracks and nothing more. Otherwise my fear is that we end up with something that has a little too much of that FUEL vibe to it.

The crew has terrible handling apparently. It is one of the worst controlling games at E3 according to a few journo's so dont get your hype too high.
I have hopes that it will be good, but as much as I liked both TDU(2) and the Driver series, it wasn't because of their respective driving models. So that's hardly unbelievable to hear, sadly.

People pass judgement too quickly. Maybe I'm just optimistic but saying not to get your hopes up for The Crew when it's probably got another year before release seems a bit too negative for the game still being well under development.

I really don't think Evolution Studios is gonna let their fans down with DriveClub. Maybe they'll have a more complete version at Gamescom.

I'm not sure why people are so keen on open-world racers, either. IMO if you do something that's open world, there's bound to be less detail in that world because of how the assets are spread out.

True, but there's something very fun about open world racers that others just can't replicate - Test Drive Unlimited might not have been a perfect racing game, but I had such a blast zooming about Oahu and, later in TDU2, Ibiza. I spent ages cruising around the islands, challenging people to impromptu races, searching for secrets or just trying to keep pace with some ridiculous super car and follow their lead for as long as possible. The club gameplay was a whole lot of fun as well, which is in part why I'm excited for DriveClub, as it seems to share a fair bit with TDU in that regard. No disrespect to Eden studios, but I've always wanted to see what a larger developer with more resources could achieve in an open-world racing game.

Here's an excellent article from Eurogamer on what made TDU so special, in spite of its flaws, and why open-world racing games are a concept that needs to continue; http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-28-test-drive-unlimited-retrospective

Good news.

Speaking of Motorstorm, is it worth picking up Pacific Rift even with the servers down?
I only played Apocalypse but loved it and plated it.

MS:pR is the best in the series. The original was good but had horrible load times. I thought they ruined it with Apocalypse, cheesy stupid cut scenes and story, clutter and distractions all over the tracks that detracted from the pure racing.

Will that be hard mode?
Damn man lol
smile.gif

Twinduct

So has there been any footage of the interface for the second screen app thing?
Also has there been any mention of customization of the cars (other than just having your club logo on it, which I assume is a given)?

Perkel

Banned
Motorstorm 1 >>> All.

The vehicle destruction in Apocalypse was so pathetic compared to glorious original.

Motorstorm 1 was glorious. Level design was above any arcade racing game. It felt like mario kart racing with realistic cars in mud, ton of adrenaline and awesome soundtrack.

I didn't like what they did with M2. They changed that fun in mud glory to some jungle "let's hit that tree" racer. M3 is completely different game to M1 and worst imo. M3 looks amazing but it is half as fun as M1 to play.

Will that be hard mode?

haha. MS1 was partially so amazing because last gold medals to acquire were fucking hard to get.and since game was rubber-banding as hell it meant usually you had to win by millimeters.

Shaneus

True, but there's something very fun about open world racers that others just can't replicate - Test Drive Unlimited might not have been a perfect racing game, but I had such a blast zooming about Oahu and, later in TDU2, Ibiza. I spent ages cruising around the islands, challenging people to impromptu races, searching for secrets or just trying to keep pace with some ridiculous super car and follow their lead for as long as possible. The club gameplay was a whole lot of fun as well, which is in part why I'm excited for DriveClub, as it seems to share a fair bit with TDU in that regard. No disrespect to Eden studios, but I've always wanted to see what a larger developer with more resources could achieve in an open-world racing game.

Here's an excellent article from Eurogamer on what made TDU so special, in spite of its flaws, and why open-world racing games are a concept that needs to continue; http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-28-test-drive-unlimited-retrospective
Oh, I'm not saying that they can't be awesome... TDU is proof of that. But they're a lot easier to fuck up than "regular" racers. Other than TDU1, Midnight Club LA and to a lesser extent Tokyo Highway Challenge/Xtreme Racer, I'd say they all lacked something that made them feel like more than an F2P game (Horizon particularly had elements that felt like that, IMO. Not severely, but there was a bit of grinding and tedium involved for a bit).

Goldrusher

Evolution, if you guys are reading, please add this depth of field effect in the final game! Looks awesome!
No, it doesn't.
If you focus on the road, your eyes provide the depth-of-field.

There's no need for camera effects in-game. Save those effects for cut scenes and replays. Depth-of-field, lens flares, chromatic aberration, color filters, etc. do not belong in-game.

No, it doesn't.
If you focus on the road, your eyes provide the depth-of-field.

There's no need for camera effects in-game. Save those effects for cut scenes and replays. Depth-of-field, lens flares, chromatic aberration, color filters, etc. do not belong in-game.
No they don't because there is no depth to the game, your eyes are focusing on a flat surface of the monitor not the road in front of the car.

btkadams

i just beat the single player of motorstorm apocalypse. the story is so bad, but the races are unbelievable. what a fantastic game. i have complete faith in evolution for driveclub. i know it's not going for the same vision, but they know how to make racers.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The thing is that dynamic lightning in a racing game is nice, but it's not an effect that caches your eyes immediately. I guess the reason why many think (rightfully so Imo) Forza 5 looks better, besides 60fps, is that it has new effects like the windshield reflections that scream "next gen" even when backed lightning should scream "last gen".

So I enjoy arcade racers, but I haven't been playing many racing games this gen. The last couple of pages of this thread have made me realize I should probably check out the a Motorstorm game. Not sure why I never did...

Which one should I check out? I have very limited time these days so there's no way I could mess around with all three.

Sorc3r3r

So I enjoy arcade racers, but I haven't been playing many racing games this gen. The last couple of pages of this thread have made me realize I should probably check out the a Motorstorm game. Not sure why I never did...

Which one should I check out? I have very limited time these days so there's no way I could mess around with all three.
Pacific Rift.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios

Definitely Pacific Rift. The first one is great, but you will probably be put off by the horrible loading times.

Drive Club isn't F2P.

The PS+ Version is heavily stripped down. It is not commensurate with the full release version.

It was said in one of the vids that the PS+ is the same game without some of the cars and tracks which can be purchased ala carte. It's really a similar model to what MS is doing with Killer instinct except Sony is giving you more for free.

OH yeah and what is the story with 60 FPS in this game? They keep suggessting it might happen, but there is no solid word on it yet.

MAKE IT FRIGGIN HAPPEN DAMMIT!

GrayFoxPL

Female drivers will be selectable :)

Will that be hard mode?

ibwTKzSGZAp8b1.gif

Motorstorm 1 was glorious. Level design was above any arcade racing game. It felt like mario kart racing with realistic cars in mud, ton of adrenaline and awesome soundtrack.

I didn't like what they did with M2. They changed that fun in mud glory to some jungle "let's hit that tree" racer. M3 is completely different game to M1 and worst imo. M3 looks amazing but it is half as fun as M1 to play.

Right on! Preach brother!

Top Bottom