• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB gets actual weather effects, screenshots inside

iceatcs

30TupOR.gif

Ouch - (lol no point felt of pain cos likely sudden death :p)

Hmm, those vehicles in the gif might be no more than 100mph+. I just can't imagine it will allow to have true physics soft body in the racing game. Maybe just simulator titles or something on purpose like Destruction Derby.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Barrier impacts in "SIM" console titles.

FORZA 5
BXXbX8j.gif

GRAN TURISMO 6
rC5uUiT.gif

Yeah, I think DriveClubs' is fine.

Forza 5 - I don't think realistic settings are turned on. That's why there is no impact on the body.

GT6 - That's a glitch. Otherwise its a solid game overall.

So these two gifs proves nothing.

Oh shit, you're right. I was watching it on the IGN app the other night amongst E3 stuff, blah.

Any good clips floating about? I'm thirsty.

I remember these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuvIiYjGyww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCi687X9Rdc

Forza 5 - I don't think realistic settings are turned on. That's why there is no impact on the body.

I think his points is how the car reacts to the impact and not how damaged it gets.

Stillmatic

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

It's all stupid anyway. No matter what settings you turn on in those two games, cars behave more or less like the F5 gif when they hit the barrier. They all behave like bumper cars compared to real life, where if you'd hit something like that, it'd be game over

Loakum

Banned
damn. I'm amazed by not only how photo realistic it looks, but how early in this console's lifespan achieving this level of detail.

BeforeU

It's all stupid anyway. No matter what settings you turn on in those two games, cars behave more or less like the F5 gif when they hit the barrier. They all behave like bumper cars compared to real life, where if you'd hit something like that, it'd be game over

Check out this video of F5 Damage

I think this is as far as they can go when it comes to licenced cars. They are not allowed to break it completely so even in the worst crash its still drivable. But this is nothing to do with PD or Turn 10. Car manufacture won't allow this, so they have no choice.

BeforeU

damn. I'm amazed by not only how photo realistic it looks, but how early in this console's lifespan achieving this level of detail.

People are expecting too much because of what usually happens in console life cycle and think it will be same this time around too. While yes of course, graphics fidelity will improve but we shouldn't expect as much as it improved on PS3. It was way harder to develop and to master. More the hardware developers used, more they learned from it. This is straight up x86 architecture. Games will get more optimised but no where near Resistance 1 to TLOU jump. I think we will see consistently good looking game throughout this gen. No big ups and down.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I think this is as far as they can go when it comes to licenced cars. They are not allowed to break it completely so even in the worst crash its still drivable. But this is nothing to do with PD or Turn 10. Car manufacture won't allow this, so they have no choice.
That's still just cosmetic damage. I'm not sure if that's what the original complaint was about, but I think Driveclub has some cosmetic damage, at least paint scratching. If the complaint was about the physics not looking right when car slams into the barrier, then just about every 'full sim' racer is guilty of that as well. Car just bounces back like it's a bumper car even in the video you posted.

benzy

That looked terrible. The car looks like a wrinkled t-shirt instead of metal crunching up.

pCars has the best damage visuals, with various frames and body panels deforming and can be completely broken off.

http://youtu.be/kKh02x8hMlo

kyser73

Don't forget you get fame points deduction for collisions, and that those points go toward the club total.

That could be of vital importance, more than your being temporarily slowed down.

Loakum

Banned
People are expecting too much because of what usually happens in console life cycle and think it will be same this time around too. While yes of course, graphics fidelity will improve but we shouldn't expect as much as it improved on PS3. It was way harder to develop and to master. More the hardware developers used, more they learned from it. This is straight up x86 architecture. Games will get more optimised but no where near Resistance 1 to TLOU jump. I think we will see consistently good looking game throughout this gen. No big ups and down.

Fair point. I'm curious to see what Naughty Dog is talking about in their tweets about TLOU Remaster, and UC4. They're tweeting like they just made some major jump in the PS4's hardware.

Lemondish

This game isn't a sim, right?

So why do we care if the damage isn't realistic? They seem to be going for the type of game that doesn't fuck you over when you derp the first corner.

The weather impacts driving, right? I think that's more important/relevant.

Jimrpg

I'm in the camp where I don't think damage really matters... (or at least during the PS2/PS3 era I was.)

I'll take licensed cars over fictional cars. Case in point Burnout 3, amazing deformations and damage at the time, but the cars just weren't that interesting.

I think its a number of factors, the fact that its licensed and also the fact that there is extra work required to make the car behave according to the damage shown. I think Forza did it well, where there was partial damage but the car handling was affected in some way, enough for me to affect my driving.

Also I think the developer's intention is that, if you are a good enough driver, you shouldn't be hitting anything anyway. Plus is it really that fun if you get a gimped car for the rest of the race if you hit the first corner, there will probably be even more online quitters plus more rubber banding to bring them back into the race.

Nafai1123

Banned

We've never seen APU's with a shared memory pool that were able to utilize GPGU the way that these consoles can. Let's not write it off as "straight up x86" just yet.

Top Bottom