• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub is the most-played PS4 driving title with estimated 10.5 million players

Shin

Banned
Some good news for fans of the PlayStation 4’s first exclusive driving game. According to player trophy information, 2014’s Driveclub has the largest number of players in the genre, at a staggering 10.5 million.

The numbers come, once again, from the Gamstat trophy tracking page. We reported on the site recently thanks to its updated, 6.6-million strong GT Sport player base figure. That was enough to put Polyphony’s sim racer comfortably in the top 100 of PS4 games, but it was beat out by a few others in the racing genre.

At the top of the pile was Evolution Studios’ Driveclub. As with the Sport figure, this does come with some caveats: for starters, every figure on the Gamstat site is an estimate. The numbers are based off the My PS4 Life feature, and while Gamstat has revised them as more data becomes available, it’s still not a perfect match. Sony’s data also comes from some time in November 2018.

Credit: GTPlanet

Considering the source I can't help but laugh at PD for being slow and then put out something like GT Sport, Sony shouldn't have let Evo go such a regrettable move.
While GTS is great and all I feel PD's perfectionist mentality got the better of them and they need to be slapped around a bit to get it together.

GenericUser

Do these numbers include the stripped down PS+ Version? Otherwise I cannot explain this to me.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Still playing it. Best racer I played in a long time.

It's true that it's not the usual racing game, it lacks some 'modern' features, but as classy as it is, it's fucking amazing.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a racing game that plays arcadey but I can drive I don't know a 93' Jeep Wrangler?

Three

The other caveat is that there was a PS+ edition with trophies so those player counts based on trophies aren't all that high. What is interesting is if they then used the trophies only obtainable from the full version to estimate those who played on a bought version.

Driveclub was a great game but it didn't perform well critically or financially unfortunately. People were calling it a 'corridor racer' with no life or something to this effect probably because they were trying to make it seem inferior to a certain other game at the time. I see the same stupid degrading shtick, 'cinematic walking sim' for great games today. It also had a rocky launch. Unfortunately Driveclub was a new IP and didn't survive these setbacks or negative reception.

Aren117

Got it on a sale, but sound design was really bad and gameplay was so bland that not even the awesome graphics made it for me.

The PS4 seriously lacks in quality arcade racing games, sadly.

I feel like Driveclub is a shoo-in for the most played racing game on PS4 all things considered.

That said, it's still my favorite PS game this gen racing or otherwise. How it chose to be different was really worthwhile in the current environment of the genre.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I played it a lot for a couple of years after getting it on sale. It got a lot of shit due to the bad launch and the PS+ controversy. I think it's my 2nd most played PS4 racer after the launch game NFS Rivals (which still holds up, I played it over the weekend).

RIP Evo.

ethomaz

Banned
The number is probably not accurate like the GTS number was not accurate too.

Get number of players from trophy stats create a big margin of error.

Anyway DriveClub was free to everybody with Plus and the trophies were the same as full version... so it counted in the math to reach that numbers.

GTS real (not math) number of player was 6,871,825 as of January 23, 2019.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
The other caveat is that there was a PS+ edition with trophies so those player counts based on trophies aren't all that high. What is interesting is if they then used the trophies only obtainable from the full version to estimate those who played on a bought version.

Driveclub was a great game but it didn't perform well critically or financially unfortunately. People were calling it a 'corridor racer' with no life or something to this effect probably because they were trying to make it seem inferior to a certain other game at the time. I see the same stupid degrading shtick, 'cinematic walking sim' for great games today. It also had a rocky launch. Unfortunately Driveclub was a new IP and didn't survive these setbacks or negative reception.
When you put it next to any moder racing game, you can see that Driveclub only offers cars, tracks, and racing.
DC doesnt put you in place of any character, in any world, in any fictional competition. DC lacks context, or lore. Is pure gameplay with no extra additions.
And with the online fiasco at launch, the game experience was incredibly monotone.

The only option you had to love the game was to love the racing gameplay it offered, and have a healthy brain to stand smooth 30 fps.

And sadly, that is subjective.

But I'm glad I loved it, I put countless hours in the game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Is pure gameplay with no extra additions.

BLISS

Instead in Forza Horizon 4 I'm forced to deal with these assholes who constantly berate me and tell me how awesome I am. Fake ass characters that dont feel real at all.

Wish they would bring it back to PS Plus. Maybe they will when PS3 games are no longer added in March. I assume(hope) we will get some big stuff around then either way.

Even though the game did not do great at launch it was madness of SONY to close such a incredibly talented team.

They could of made a Motorstorm for next gen that actually looked like it's E3 trailer, I'm not a driving fan but that in VR? I'd of streamed that with my dick out.

Fbh

Still the only driving game I could get into this gen.
I loved the focus on having tracks all around the world rather than following the open world trend. I also really liked the gameplay which was neither too realistic nor too arcade though I think commercially it was an issue since it failed to please fans of either style. And while the 30fps weren't ideal it's still one of the best looking games I've played, there's some moments when the rain, lighting and environments just come together and it's still the closest I've seen to game being "photorealistic"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DriveClub was given on Plus, right?

It was basically an extensive demo rather than the full game but I think you could get some trophies so I guess it counted towards this

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I tried, I just couldn't get past the 30 FPS
Shame, it's the only racer that actually felt you was going the speed the speedometer was saying you was, and it was smooth thanks to the fantastic motion blur DC has.
Unlike the Sunday Driving at 60fps other games have.

corey99699

Neo Member
I love Driveclub, I just wish there were more options to customize the controls. I prefer to shift up/down with the right analog stick but that's not an option.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Credit: GTPlanet

Considering the source I can't help but laugh at PD for being slow and then put out something like GT Sport, Sony shouldn't have let Evo go such a regrettable move.
While GTS is great and all I feel PD's perfectionist mentality got the better of them and they need to be slapped around a bit to get it together.

Evo also wasn't good at releasing games on time and bad at planning when creating their games. But so is PD...........so.........................yeah..............

It’s god damn criminal. Excuse the hyperbole, but damn.

No hyperbole detected!

Whitecrow

Banned
Evo also wasn't good at releasing games on time and bad at planning when creating their games. But so is PD...........so.........................yeah..............
Evo have been a curious case.

There was this japan earthquake when they were about to release motorstorm:apocalypse, and they had to delay its launch.
Then the Driveclub online launch failure (who knows how much money Sony/Evo had to spend to rebuild net code from scratch...).

The closing Evo have been sad, but there were obvious business reasons.

mckmas8808

When you put it next to any moder racing game, you can see that Driveclub only offers cars, tracks, and racing.
DC doesnt put you in place of any character, in any world, in any fictional competition. DC lacks context, or lore. Is pure gameplay with no extra additions.
And with the online fiasco at launch, the game experience was incredibly monotone.

The only option you had to love the game was to love the racing gameplay it offered, and have a healthy brain to stand smooth 30 fps.

These are all PERFECT criticisms of the game that a Driveclub 2 could have fixed. So freaking sad that EVO never got another chance with Sony. Normally the first game (especially the on a new IP) on a new generation console is missing those things.

mckmas8808

Even though the game did not do great at launch it was madness of SONY to close such a incredibly talented team.

They could of made a Motorstorm for next gen that actually looked like it's E3 trailer, I'm not a driving fan but that in VR? I'd of streamed that with my dick out.

Sony basically has/had an embarrasment of riches when it came to developer talent. They get rid of some of the most talanted teams in the world, yet Shuhei and that Sony WorldWide Studios still finds a way to put out great 1st party games. It's maddening to think about how great the PS4 could have been had they nautured some of that amazing talent.

They dumped Evolution Studios - Makers of Motorstorm and Driveclub
They dumped Psygnosis - Makers of Wipeout
They let SuperMassive go - Makers of Until Dawn (for some reason Sony didn't want this series to continue)

Sony basically has/had an embarrasment of riches when it came to developer talent. They get rid of some of the most talanted teams in the world, yet Shuhei and that Sony WorldWide Studios still finds a way to put out great 1st party games. It's maddening to think about how great the PS4 could have been had they nautured some of that amazing talent.

They let SuperMassive go - Makers of Until Dawn (for some reason Sony didn't want this series to continue)

I love the Until dawn games :(

GrayFoxRJ

Banned

No need for lore in a fucking racing game bro

Can't really blame them after The Inpatient and Bravo Team.

mckmas8808

Can't really blame them after The Inpatient and Bravo Team.

Couldn't they have tried another Until Dawn, with different characters? Like how Black Mirror episodes are all different? I think it's called an Anthology series or something.

thelastword

Banned
Amazing game. Bland sound design? LOL yeah right

Why Sony Why.?...Driveclub did so much right, Ace sound, weather and graphics.......but man, I raise you sense of speed.......Now I've played quite a few racers, hell, I've platinumed Superstars V8, love the asphalt out of Ferrari Challenge:Trofeo Pirelli and Super Car Challenge on PS3......Played the hell out of Sega GT on OG XBOX, the Project Gotham series on OG XBOX, but Driveclub's sense of speed is something I've never seen before, maybe motorstorm is the closest thinking about it.........They just did so much right........All DC needed was a sequel and perhaps 60fps to go with that Sense of Speed..

Bonus Vid...Clearer video to appreciate the graphics....

Elcid

Banned
The only racing game to make me actually want to play a racing game. Just beautiful and fun all around. Spotify - Kavinsky, Drive Club, g0g0g0. I really don't get the "30fps" complaint. How anal can someone be? This is one of the best games of our generation. The closure of Evo was just heartbreaking.

Top Bottom