• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
20141002183317.gif

The crash ahead took me by surprise. You get completely blinded for a moment by the dirt kicked up!
That was nuts. It looks incredible, but at the same time it makes me crave a new motorstorm with crashes happening to your left and right sides.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
But it has been a fundamental feature in every racing game since 2006! They had a year and didn't have time to draw a line for the the duration of the race? The clouds must be hogging all the processing and memory!

Seriously, though, no one really knows what they did during the year. Besides tickle each other. I am pretty sure Rushy has gone on record that development wrapped up 9 months ago and they've just been tickling each other since.

Will this game have extreme temperature implemented?? I want it to be so cold that frost develops on the windshield and the game should give drivers at least 5 minutes before a race starts to defrost the windshield.

Seriously, though, no one really knows what they did during the year. Besides tickle each other. I am pretty sure Rushy has gone on record that development wrapped up 9 months ago and they've just been tickling each other since.
Who doesn't like 9 months of congradulatory tickles after a lot of hard work?

VanWinkle

I'm kind of thinking the first event shouldn't have been sort of a drab midday sunny India track. It's not like it's bad looking but it doesn't really blow you away like some of the other times of day. It's not necessarily the most aesthetically pleasing track, either. I just think that for the first event they should have made more of a mind-blowing first impression.

It's not a huge deal, obviously, but just something I'm thinking about as I'm watching this PS Blog stream archive.

Korten

Banned
I think I will just download the free version- hopefully there will be enough content to play for a while rather than playing for a few hours and being done with everything.

Ploid 3.0

Yup. That's trials fusion on steroids right there. And with the day/night cycle, you can literally drive for days within the game without ever seeing the score card or reloading!

The game needs season cycle DLC. Imagine driving from Spring to Winter non-stop as you work your way up the leader boards! :D

Hahaha, guy gets out of the car with a full grown beard after.

Driving line is pretty terrible. I started enjoying driving games when I shut it off. You have to actually learn the track and the game becomes more than just a moving game of Simon.

I don't think it has any place in an arcade racer. It actually prevents people from being good at the game.

I agree, particularly in regards to genuine arcade racers (Burnout), but DC is riding that middle ground. I think the best implementation of the driving line is the "braking only" line, where it appears only when you're coming into a turn too hot.

Shaneus

If you are in EU/AU, yes. If you are in the US, you got gamestopped.
Woo! Now if only the SEN or PSN or whatever could break street date so I could play it this weekend :(

Seriously contemplating a day off for this. But I don't know at what time of day it will unlock. Will it be midnight Wed. morning for Australia, or later in the day?

viveks86

I'm kind of thinking the first event shouldn't have been sort of a drab midday sunny India track. It's not like it's bad looking but it doesn't really blow you away like some of the other times of day. It's not necessarily the most aesthetically pleasing track, either. I just think that for the first event they should have made more of a mind-blowing first impression.

It's not a huge deal, obviously, but just something I'm thinking about as I'm watching this PS Blog stream archive.

It's a tricky decision to make. The flip side of blowing people away right off the start is that you lose steam in between because you have set the expectation too high. A gradual build up is generally more consistently rewarding. Each approach has its pros and cons.

Game4life

Banned
I agree with the sentiment that content is lacking and stuff like Replay should have definitely been there from the start. Having said that I know they are coming. I also know that this is a new ip by a team that has not done this kind of racer before. New engine and new console as well. How many teams are out there that can successfully pull of new racing ip without issues.The sequel to this will be amazing now that they have the basics covered.

I do think reviews will deduct points because of these features missing at launch and that is okay.

VanWinkle

Just heard Rushy talk about how the flags were a better idea for being focused on the track/environment itself than driving lines. I love that. I'm not a huge fan of driving lines.

It's a tricky decision to make. The flip side of blowing people away right off the start is that you lose steam in between because you have set the expectation too high. A gradual build up is generally more consistently rewarding. Each approach has its pros and cons.

Fair point. I just think it should have been a LITTLE more exciting, like the same track at sunrise or something like that, or maybe a fast cycle through the day/night.

viveks86

Woo! Now if only the SEN or PSN or whatever could break street date so I could play it this weekend :(

Seriously contemplating a day off for this. But I don't know at what time of day it will unlock. Will it be midnight Wed. morning for Australia, or later in the day?

Midnight would be my guess. Though it would depend on which timezone within AU you are at. Not sure what timezone PSN uses there for game launches.

Have they commented on the "tires steering in the wrong direction" bug being fixed at launch?

It was probably a bug isolated to the b-roll. Rushy said it would be addressed in case it was in the actual build. We haven't seen that problem anywhere else have we?

Sami+

Just heard Rushy talk about how the flags were a better idea for being focused on the track/environment itself than driving lines. I love that. I'm not a huge fan of driving lines.

Flags are a better solution anyway simply because driving lines are very inaccurate. They give you an idea of how to take a corner, but it's usually the slowest possible way to take it. If you ever watch a good time trial lap you'll see that their laps rarely ever match a driving line, and in particular the braking lines. Driving lines teach you to be less aggressive on the track. A flag will tell you what type of corner is coming up, but it's up to the driver to figure out the best way to take it.

I agree, particularly in regards to genuine arcade racers (Burnout), but DC is riding that middle ground. I think the best implementation of the driving line is the "braking only" line, where it appears only when you're coming into a turn too hot.

I loathe that type of hand holding in a game, thank goodness there won't be anything like that in DC

It was probably a bug isolated to the b-roll. Rushy said it would be addressed in case it was in the actual build. We haven't seen that problem anywhere else have we?

That's good to hear.

HARD RIGHT

EASY LEFT

MAYBE

they should add that

I will be SO excited when they announce the next Dirt game.

I loathe that type of hand holding in a game, thank goodness there won't be anything like that in DC

It's always optional. Modern games often try to let as many people as possible enjoy them.

Shin-Ra

20141002183317.gif

The crash ahead took me by surprise. You get completely blinded for a moment by the dirt kicked up!
Unless the player has manual lights control, I don't understand why they come on when leaving the tunnel for the brighter outside.

VanWinkle

I want to watch the videos on my computer from Gamersyde on my TV, so I have to watch them on my Xbox One since PS4 doesn't have a local media or DLNA player. There is something wrong with that picture, lol.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I'm torn, guys. I don't know if I should go physical like I usually do or preorder off PSN since it's cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom