• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub still has the best environments and vegetation in any racing game

Sorry I will not dumb down to the point that I think a gif from a game actually look better than the game it's made from.

there is a reason why that gif look better to you & that's because it's in a smaller window on your screen so do the same thing to the game & put them on equal terms & see if the gif look better or is it just that you're looking at the gif in a smaller window.

So let me ask...

Do you think PGR4 in actual gameplay looks this good?
pgr43dark8dxu.gif

Head.spawn

I'm quoting myself. Yep.

That screenshot with the yellow Ferrari...I don't even know how it where it came from. The link above is gameplay and not even at 1080. If anyone thinks that yellow car pic is how this game looks...shrug

Load up the game on the same level, same weather and take a shot in 3rd person around the same area as the picture then (not photomode).

I get that the game looks completely awesome during the weather fx scenes, but do note that the entirety of image is distorted in some way while all of that is going on and while it does look awesome, I don't think you can toss that up to handwave away how the game actually looks au naturale minus all of the intense DOF/RAINFX/WIND/Atmospheric effects that distort the entire scene. I don't think anyone is disputing whether or not they have one of the coolest looking weather fx systems in gaming, but that doesn't excuse the rest. I don't think it's accidental that people prefer the game in 1st person view glass refraction filtering everything, during dark when you can't see much and during rain and snow etc etc.

Load up the game on the same level, same weather and take a shot in 3rd person around the same area as the picture then (not photomode).

I get that the game looks completely awesome during the weather fx scenes, but do note that the entirety of image is distorted in some way while all of that is going on and while it does look awesome, I don't think you can toss that up to handwave away how the game actually looks au naturale minus all of the intense DOF/RAINFX/WIND/Atmospheric effects that distort the entire scene. I don't think anyone is disputing whether or not they have one of the coolest looking weather fx systems in gaming, but that doesn't excuse the rest. I don't think it's accidental that people prefer the game in 1st person view glass refraction filtering everything, during dark when you can't see much and during rain and snow etc etc.

I think most people prefer the game when it's moving as well when the AA solution kicks in and sorts out the jaggies. So showing a still image of the game not moving isn't a reflection of the game either.

This thread has convinced me to install Driveclub again on my PS4. I’ve been playing the VR version and haven’t played the original in a long time.

Hook your 360 up to your computer through a capture card & let the window be the same size as that gif & let the replay play.

And the game will appear to look better just as the gif does. Play it at it's ACTUAL resolution... different story.

See how that works?

I never specified the main campaign. I said the game. For me, DLCs are part of it. I have no idea what order the DLCs were released because the menus in the game are a mess.

https://i.imgur.com/zMthz0e.png
Yes, I've played through most of it, just not some DLC championships not included on the season pass.

My point is, the game doesn't look good during clear conditions, so there is a fair amount of races with rain and/or night.

I also didn't say there were tons of extreme conditions, but adverse ones. I just said the elements final is ridiculous, in a bad way. It isn't fun, but it also isn't hard or challenging. Especially not when the flags still stick out like a sore thumb.

This isn't exclusive to Driveclub. The Need for Speed series has been doing this since NFS: HP (2010). The roads were always wet, and now in the lastest one (2015) it was always wet + night.

I love the game, one of my favorite racers. I'm just not blind to its problems.

[.......................]

You start in post #18 saying that the devs made it rain in most races because the DEVS realised that the game is ugly

I answer that it doesn't make sense since the game itself doesn't have rain ( it was added later in patches and dlc )

Then you move on the goalpost saying that it was RAIN AND NIGHT ( post #333 )... as if the game has night racing because for some reason they did it on purpose since it's ugly during the day AND you single out the end of the elements Dlc witch is a special kind of challenge that happens a couple of times in the game at best.
( goalpost moved a second time )

i then answer it's not a common occurence so your exemple doesn't work.

Then you come here and say that you never said the main game

It doesn't matter
From the start you came with the stupidy assumption that there is night and rain to hide some flaws that exist during the day .. and it's silly since there is more day events than rain combined in the game.

From the start you're factually incorrect

To finish you throw a comment like the menu are a mess so you have no idea what is the main campaign or not as if that matters
( goalpost moved a third time or sarcastic remark to push the game down you decide )

Well done.
You have made a factually incorrect statement and you stick with it by moving goalposts along the way
Well done

onQ123

And the game will appear to look better just as the gif does. Play it at it's ACTUAL resolution... different story.

See how that works?

"Downsample it using another means, and see what looks better!"

Genius.

So you've finally caught on to what Synth has been trying to explain for so long?

And it proves that the game does look as good as the gif you are just looking at the gif in a smaller window.

lol I'm not sure what y'all think y'all just proved but it still stands that the game look as good as the gifs.

And it proves that the game does look as good as the gif you are just looking at the gif in a smaller window.

lol I'm not sure what y'all think y'all just proved but it still stands that the game look as good as the gifs.

The only thing we're proving is how dumb you must be. Straight up.

It's like you think we're saying the game is rendering better or more effects because it's in a gif form, or smaller or something.. lmao. Ridiculous.

We're saying the downsampling and dithering from being that small/being a gif, hides a lot of the detail and flaws that stand out when viewed at full res. How many times must you be told? lmao

"bu but but the game looks as good as the gifs! If you take the game, and then shrink it down to the size of the gif, it will look that good!!!"

LOL, NO SHIT!? Ask yourself what happens if you DONT shrink the game down? lel

Head.spawn

So if we can find a way to get PS4 to output directly to and downsample to something smaller than my cellphone screen, we should be fine.

eso76

Hook your 360 up to your computer through a capture card & let the window be the same size as that gif & let the replay play.

Too much trouble.
Buy a 7" monitor and play the game from a 10 feet distance.
BAM! Best looking game ever.

Which reminds me I did hook my Amiga to a 5" 4:3 portable screen to play Geoff Crammond's F1 Grand Prix back in the day and it did look great. On such a tiny screen it also looked a lot smoother, simply from the fact the polygons covered a much smaller physical distance between frames.

But back on topic, IQ being Driveclub's biggest (only, as far as I'm concerned) problem means it benefits more than other games from the tiny gif format.

Synth

Actually, what you've proven is that you can cause games to look better by applying post-process operations like downsampling it (which is what typically happens when you create a gif). Both your capture card scenario, and your PiP operation are making post-process changes to the image, much like applying something like FXAA can.

An important aspect of all this that you seem to miss, is that gifs are created for the purpose of sharing with other people. If you take a 1080p game with questionable IQ, and shrink it using a capture window, or via a PiP function on your TV, and then invite an unassuming person over and say "this is what Driveclub looks like!", they'd be looking at a misrepresentation of how it looks, because the game itself isn't downsampled in that manner... you've used some external means of making it appear that way.

onQ123

The only thing we're proving is how dumb you must be. Straight up.

It's like you think we're saying the game is rendering better or more effects because it's in a gif form, or smaller or something.. lmao. Ridiculous.

We're saying the downsampling and dithering from being that small/being a gif, hides a lot of the detail and flaws that stand out when viewed at full res. How many times must you be told? lmao

"bu but but the game looks as good as the gifs! If you take the game, and then shrink it down to the size of the gif, it will look that good!!!"

LOL, NO SHIT!? Ask yourself what happens if you DONT shrink the game down? lel

I'm dumb because I'm not crazy enough to think that a game doesn't look as good as the gif made from the game?

trust me on this I'm not the one crazy here lol.

So you're telling me if I play the game on a 10" 1080P screen the game wouldn't appear to look better than it does on a 50" 1080P screen?

saying that the game doesn't look as good as the gif because the gif is in a smaller window on your screen is crazy because the game can also be played in a smaller window & look better than that gif but that gif can not look as good as the game when you bring it up to the size of the full screen.

VanWinkle

I'm dumb because I'm not crazy enough to think that a game doesn't look as good as the gif made from the game?

trust me on this I'm not the one crazy here lol.

So you're telling me if I play the game on a 10" 1080P screen the game wouldn't appear to look better than it does on a 50" 1080P screen?

saying that the game doesn't look as good as the gif because the gif is in a smaller window on your screen is crazy because the game can also be played in a smaller window & look better than that gif but that gif can not look as good as the game when you bring it up to the size of the full screen.

Nobody is disputing that, bro. People are saying that people DON'T play the game in a small window on the screen, just like people don't view the gif zoomed in to the full screen size.

Think about what we see in that gif. We see great lighting, great weather effects, great shaders. But these are the things the game excels at.

What we CAN'T see in that gif is the aliasing, the low-sample motion blur, the inconsistent texture work, etc.

Basically, what people are saying is that it's showing everything that's great about the visuals and nothing that is bad about the visuals. And, when you consider realistically that the average person will be seeing that gif in small form on a computer screen and will be playing the game in full screen on a TV, it's not an accurate portrayal of the overall visual fidelity.

Reading GIF-Gate here has ben pretty bizarre but entertaining.

I have had a GIF give me the wrong impression before, so at least from my own experience I don't take them at face value. Pretty sure it was a SunhiLegend GIF from GT5 Spec II of Spa in the rain (we're talking 2011 here and I wasn't able to find it just now). It was cropped a bit to remove the bottom UI bits and looked intense and very real, and was the go-to GIF in the vs threads for a while. When I ended up racing that track in the game proper it was a lot more sterile, IQ flaws came out, and I was left a little dispirited because I had set my expectations a bit too high.

Similarly, with GT6 there were a lot of GIFS going around from replays, but what you never saw in those was just how much dithering there was when playing the game for yourself. Very different experience, and while I enjoy the GTS replays going around, I'm also not assuming gameplay will match.

With screenshots I remember the same situation with Halo 3's gallery shots that weren't representative of in-game IQ at all. They were supersampled to hell and back and removed all the jaggies you'd see in actual gameplay, but that didn't stop a multitude from claiming that it was exactly what they were seeing on their TVs.

Regardless of all the fuss, you can't expect photo mode screens and GIFs to match your experience in game, and should take them all with a grain of salt. They can certainly show off a lot about a game, but won't really be 1 to 1 with actual experience.

Thread is about environments and vegetation. DC wins there easy. Shaders used, amount of foliage and it`s quality is way beyond what other racing games offer.

Other games mentioned here may have better image quality, and it is ok to prefer their overall look, but they don`t beat DC in areas OP mentioned. Definitely not in those.

This thread getting way off topic

cakely

This would look decent if they were developing a flight sim or something else using massive procedurally generated landscapes.

The almost total lack of shadows would still be kind of weird though

In case your concern is real that terrible screenshot really doesn't reflect what the game actually looks like. The lighting is quite good and the cars do cast proper shadows.

Falchion

Yeah it's a stunningly beautiful game but I never stopped to admire the vegetation before. That bamboo looks awesome.

onQ123

Trust me I'm way smarter than anyone who can't conduct themselves like an adult when he can't prove a silly point.

Trust me I'm way smarter than anyone who can't conduct themselves like an adult when he can't prove a silly point.

We already did prove it though. You're literally telling us to run the game in a window the size of a gif... conceding the point. You've been proving the point every single post you've made.. but apparently aren't smart enough to realize it. So you keep saying the same thing over and over.

There's nothing to call it but dumb at that point.

To answer your question.. yea.. you play the game at 1080p in the window a size of the gif and the game will be downsampled, again hiding the flaws that make it more apparently a game. Want me to repeat it again? Your argument that "but you CAN run the game at 1080p on a 7'' monitor THUS meaning the game looks like that" is completely conceding the point. We're not saying it CHANGES the game. We're saying the downsampling hides the flaws.. which it does.

The point isn't changing.. you shrink it down.. it hides the flaws. and APPEARS to look better. Quite simple.

statham

you guys are arguing in onQ, I wish the best of luck. when he fought hours saying the Sony camera was just as good as kinect, I was done. then the whole f16, and the XBOX was a 3tf machine. I mean comeon. he push that like crazy, but always gave himself a out. But he knew what he was doing.
this is who you are arguing with. I'm right you wrong.

This thread reminded me that I own this game... I might finally play it... I remember being disappointed when i first got it because I was told that if I liked NFS: The Run, I'd love Driveclub... It didn't feel anything like The Run, I haven't touched in since...

onQ123

We already did prove it though. You're literally telling us to run the game in a window the size of a gif... conceding the point. You've been proving the point every single post you've made.. but apparently aren't smart enough to realize it. So you keep saying the same thing over and over.

There's nothing to call it but dumb at that point.

To answer your question.. yea.. you play the game at 1080p in the window a size of the gif and the game will be downsampled, again hiding the flaws that make it more apparently a game. Want me to repeat it again? Your argument that "but you CAN run the game at 1080p on a 7'' monitor THUS meaning the game looks like that" is completely conceding the point. We're not saying it CHANGES the game. We're saying the downsampling hides the flaws.. which it does.

The point isn't changing.. you shrink it down.. it hides the flaws. and APPEARS to look better. Quite simple.

Someone said the game doesn't look as good as the gif & I told them that it does you're just seeing the gif in a smaller window.

that's a fact & it's not up to appear to look better it does look better , you can hold a rock up & make it appear to look as big as the moon but the moon being bigger is always going to be a fact & you can't change that by looking at it from your own point of view.

The end!

onQ123

you guys are arguing in onQ, I wish the best of luck. when he fought hours saying the Sony camera was just as good as kinect, I was done. then the whole f16, and the XBOX was a 3tf machine. I mean comeon. he push that like crazy, but always gave himself a out. But he knew what he was doing.

this is who you are arguing with. I'm right you wrong.

How many times are you going to come in a thread talking about stuff that don't have anything to do with the thread?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I am a HUGE fan of DRIVECLUB, but I have to give environments to Forza Horizon 3. In fact, after just playing it for the first time tonight on PC, I put FH3 above every racing game I've ever played! It is the epitome of beauty! It even tops Forza 7!

Someone said the game doesn't look as good as the gif & I told them that it does you're just seeing the gif in a smaller window.

that's a fact & it's not up to appear to look better it does look better , you can hold a rock up & make it appear to look as big as the moon but the moon being bigger is always going to be a fact & you can't change that by looking at it from your own point of view.

The end!
Ah someone said.. so what about what I said? Can you respond?

Thanks for conceding the point that view and perspective matter. Driveclub appears to look better in gifs than it does when viewed at a normal size, because the flaws become less apparent.

If I took a picture of the rock and the moon as you described, and then you were asked which one is bigger in the picture, what would you say? The one that actually looks bigger on the picture..or the one that you know is bigger in real life?

Nobody is saying the game looks different from the gif.. we're saying the gif looks better because of the flaws aren't as apparent. That someone who said the gif looks better, is exactly right. They explained again and again why that was so... and you simply can't think of anything else except to repeat.. but it's the game.. but it's the game. You concede the point by having to apply the same restrictions on the view/perspective of the game as to those of the gif... to make the point that the game looks that good. By doing that, you're conceding that when it's not viewed in that same way, that it doesn't.

Synth

The end!

Remember how in that other thread I suggested you may just be pretty bad with words? Well, here we are again.

"Appears to look" is redundant. Using perspective, the rock can "look bigger than the moon" and "appear to be bigger than the moon". In both cases it factually won't be bigger than the moon, but that's beyond the point. So a gif can "look better" than the actual game for similar reasons, despite containing less graphical detail. Making the gif look worse than the game, or making the game look better than the gif requires you adjust the perspective of one or the other from the default state it was presented in, much like telling someone to fly closer to the moon to then see which looks bigger between it and the rock.

The end?

Dural

That's just the graphics as well. The handling model is just subpar.

The handling is my biggest issue with the game, I just can't stand it. Racing games are my favorite genre and i play as many as I can, the praise by a small vocal group of people for this games driving model just blows my mind. You even have a few in this very thread talking about how fantastic it is. 😕

Duallusion

The handling is my biggest issue with the game, I just can't stand it. Racing games are my favorite genre and i play as many as I can, the praise by a small vocal group of people for this games driving model just blows my mind. You even have a few in this very thread talking about how fantastic it is. 😕

How do you know people who enjoyed DC's driving model are a minority vs. people who didn't (and actually gave it a fair shot)? Some people might not like it but there's nothing objectively wrong with it. I found it to be magnificent and I'm a big fan of the genre too; easy to get into, hard to truly nail the track/lap or reach top of the leaderboards. Sense of speed is top-notch too.

Mascot

Add me to the 'never impressed with Driveclub's gameplay graphics' camp.

I hate 30fps in racing games but even ignoring that for a second, gameplay rarely ever looked like the cherry-picked GIFs that are in perpetual rotation.

FH3 on the other hand is downright gorgeous almost all of the time.

thelastword

Banned
You know what, there is a simple solution. All the whining on gifs can be stopped by simply referencing the comparison vid I posted earlier in this thread. There are quite a few vids showing all the top racers going head to head in motion on YouTube. If you look at any of those, and can still conclude that DC is not the best looking game in motion, since we don't play cherry-picked stills obviously, then I think it's clear what's going on here...

From the time you have a thread about DC's visuals and graphical superiority, you have a million people coming to claim..."oh, it only looks that good in gifs and photomode".....Anybody who's played DC knows that's not so......So again, if you don't play the game and have deemed photomode and gifs unfair for DC, because I've never seen gifs of FH3 of F7 or PC2 ever;) and tbf, I've never for once felt that the gifs for these games make them look better...Just watch any of the comparison vids I've posted or which are widely available on YT, and comeback with a straight face "that the other titles look better in motion".....

KORNdoggy

the engine as a whole is great, and i hope we see it utilized in another racer in the future. i assume the engine is sony property? or did evo take it with them to codemasters?

Synth

You know what, there is a simple solution. All the whining on gifs can be stopped by simply referencing the comparison vid I posted in this thread a few pages back. There are quite a few vids showing all the top racers going head to head in motion. If you look at any of those and can still conclude that DC is not the best looking game in motion, since we don't play cherry-picked stills, then I think it's clear what's going on here...

From the time you have a thread about DC's visuals and graphical superiority, you have a million people coming to claim..."oh it only looks that good in gifs and photomode".....Anybody who's played DC knows that's not so......So again, if you don't play the game and have deemed photomode and gifs unfair for DC, because I've never seen gifs of FH3 of F7 or PC2 ever;) and tbf, I've never for once felt that the gifs for these games make them look better...Just watch any of the comparison vids I've posted or which are available and comeback with a straight face "that the other titles look better in motion".....

Alright, cool. I'll play this "you've never played Driveclub" game with you.

Driveclub: 3 stars in every event of the main tour, and 14 of the 21 DLC tours
55sxwhK.jpg

Driveclub Bikes: 3 stars in every event of the main tour
j97bxA6.jpg

Driveclub VR: 3 stars in every event
1ZBTkK6.jpg

I've played pretty much every game that ends up in these discussions extensively (barring GTS, because I never got a beta invite). I've played more Driveclub than many of the people that'll die on a hill for its graphics have. I don't need to watch comparison vids, as I've seen everything each of these games has to offer direct from the respective consoles (or PC). It's very rare that I discuss any game on GAF in ignorance.

So with that out of the way, I'll reiterate. Driveclub doesn't look at good as many of the gifs and shots here portray it as looking, and other titles look better in motion. Look at my face. :|

Now... how about you? How much of the games you talk endless shit about can you verify yourself as having played in person? After all, you're the one who earlier in this thread start spouting the legitimately ridiculous claims of Forza not feeling anymore realistic than PGR1. If anyone's "other game playing" credentials are in question here, it's sure as fuck not mine.

But you'll probably just ghost again, as you always do when called out.

Top Bottom