• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR is the most impressive virtual reality racer yet

Ploid 3.0

The game terrifies me with just a flat display, I'm sure it's even crazier in VR. The sense of speed in the game is nuts.

androvsky

Vast majority of impressions I have read during this year say the opposite.

This is from just a week ago.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/playstation-vr-review
Much like the Rift and Vive, before a game actually begins you’ll notice the “screen door” effect that comes with VR gaming, although it’s more pronounced in PSVR due to the inferior screen quality. When you’re not focusing on any particular action or item in a game, you’ll be paying particular attention to the general blurriness of text. Or, when looking at a character’s face, you’ll be alerted to the soft haze that covers their face, failing to focus on particular details thanks to this pronounced issue. It isn’t a deal-breaker, but it does bring to light the differences in display quality between console and PC virtual reality.

That doesn't sound like screen door effect though, that sounds like a lack of resolution. Screen door effect is the black space between sub-pixels, and the PSVR is fantastic in that regard. Resolution stinks though, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few PSVR games are running at lower than the native resolution of the screen.

farisr

Wait, has Rushy said Driveclub VR isn't getting Pro enhanced? I thought his comment was just regarding the non-VR version.

That doesn't sound like screen door effect though, that sounds like a lack of resolution. Screen door effect is the black space between sub-pixels, and the PSVR is fantastic in that regard. Resolution stinks though, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few PSVR games are running at lower than the native resolution of the screen.

That also sounds like they maybe did pull the visor in focus. Like don't get me wrong, games can definitely be blurry on PSVR, but it makes a massive difference when you position the visor in the right place as everything is suddenly brought into crisp focus.

spectator

Wait, has Rushy said Driveclub VR isn't getting Pro enhanced? I thought his comment was just regarding the non-VR version.

I can't see why it wouldn't be Pro-enhanced out of the gate. Sony mandates such for third-parties releasing at PSVR launch and they would probably hold the same standard for internal teams, as well, seeing as it's their own agenda they're trying to push with the policy.

Ahh man, I am so tempted to buy a wheel just for this but I just can't justify the cost of a decent one for 1 or 2 games. Maybe they will do the poor man's pretend your controller is a wheel option and I can invest in a wheel after christmas or something. Wondering if a driving game in VR with normal controls would just feel wrong

CREMSteve

This game has a separate mode where you can sit in he passenger seat and watch while the AI drives, right? That shit is mindblowingly awesome.

Synth

Ok, I get what he's saying about chase cam in Outrun (would also accept Daytona USA), but Ridge Racers chase cam is utter garbage and the bumper view is infinitely better. You can't even judge drift angle anyway as the camera locks to behind the car.

Hoje0308

Banned
I can't see why it wouldn't be Pro-enhanced out of the gate. Sony mandates such for third-parties releasing at PSVR launch and they would probably hold the same standard for internal teams, as well, seeing as it's their own agenda they're trying to push with the policy.

But the team that made DC is over at Codemasters now. Evo doesn't exist.

Massa

But the team that made DC is over at Codemasters now. Evo doesn't exist.

Sony could either pay Codemasters to have them do it or have some other internal team that hasn't be axed yet do it. The fact they're not willing to is one of the reasons I'm not getting PSVR at launch.

farisr

Sony could either pay Codemasters to have them do it or have some other internal team that hasn't be axed yet do it. The fact they're not willing to is one of the reasons I'm not getting PSVR at launch.
Why are you so sure that Driveclub VR won't have a Pro mode? If you're talking about Rushy's comment, that was specifically about the non VR version.

Elandyll

Banned
To clarify, I'm not saying that Driveclub VR can't have better IQ than any other PC VR racer they have played.

I'm saying the RGB argument is bullshit. Project CARS pipeline is deferred, while Driveclub VR uses fordward rendering and MSAA is cheap in that case.

That probably explains it.
Sounds like the guy is talking about resolution, not SDE.

Written about a month ago:
http://www.vrheads.com/playstation-vr-why-theres-no-screen-door-effect

PlayStation VR is different — there's practically no screen-door effect even though the display's resolution is lower than Rift's and Vive's. How is that possible? Let's explore the screen-door effect and how Sony managed to remove it from their upcoming foray into virtual reality.

Ahh man, I am so tempted to buy a wheel just for this but I just can't justify the cost of a decent one for 1 or 2 games. Maybe they will do the poor man's pretend your controller is a wheel option and I can invest in a wheel after christmas or something. Wondering if a driving game in VR with normal controls would just feel wrong

Same here, I've got an old wheel gathering dust, but Sony/Logitech won't let me use it on PS4 ;( (yeah I know about that USB PC dongle thingy).
Would be so damn awesome with the helmet.

spectator

The way I understand it that was all Evo.

Ok. Whoever made it, the fact remains that for third-party titles releasing in or after October, Pro support is mandatory. I don't see any reason Sony wouldn't mandate the same deadline for first-party developers, as well.

Zalusithix

I believe it.

Though to be fair, we have zero racing games BUILT for VR on PC. The ones available range from OK to Not bad at all.

Basically this. The perceived difference has jack all to do with display differences and everything to do with the engine/rendering technique. VR racing on PC has been quickly tacked on to existing games that were already demanding to render and relies on brute force to get it to look good.

Driveclub, on the other hand, has obviously had effort put in to tune its VR mode far more extensively. Getting the right combination of AA/SS and assets is crucial for a clean looking VR game.

With the same engine and optimization effort, a VR game for PCVR will look better than PSVR, not because of the panel difference, but due to the increased rendering power. Once you get out of apples to apples comparisons, however, that is no longer guaranteed.

Ok. Whoever made it, the fact remains that for third-party titles releasing in or after October, Pro support is mandatory. I don't see any reason Sony wouldn't mandate the same deadline for first-party developers, as well.
Is that the fact? Maybe it doesn't apply to PSVR or there are other exceptions. I would like it to be true of course.

Dumb question, but is Driveclub VR going to be a separate game completely?

After the cluster that was Driveclub's launch I never picked it up. That being said, I have a PSVR incoming and this would be a title I'd be interested in.
I think its separate but we're all holding out for an 'upgrade free'.

Also, there was a LTTP for DC yesterday, check that out.

Vast majority of impressions I have read during this year say the opposite.

This is from just a week ago.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/playstation-vr-review

Some people will believe anything. I don't care what tech the PSVR uses, that low of a resolution is going to have noticeable SDE, especially since it's right in your face.

Not sure if they will every release a super high resolution version in the future since I'm sure they'll move on to 3D Part 2 or whatever the next fad is in a few years to try and sell electronics.

I think its separate but we're all holding out for an 'upgrade free'.

Also, there was a LTTP for DC yesterday, check that out.

We know the new tracks will come to the standard game for free, so I guess that's as much as we're getting.

It would be nice though to have an upgrade.

DC is the only reason I still have a PS4.

Hoje0308

Banned

But who gets the mandate? Do they bring another studio in to patch it? I mean, they could, but who knows what the plan is.

TheRed

Project cars looks and runs really bad for me. Same with Dirt with ReVive. But Assetto Corsa with ReVive is damn gorgeous and runs really well.

farisr

But who gets the mandate? Do they bring another studio in to patch it? I mean, they could, but who knows what the plan is.
The requirement was known and in in place since before April. Seeing as this was a game planned for PSVR, meaning a release in October or later to begin with, they would've had to take that into account when making the game.

I don't care what tech the PSVR uses, that low of a resolution is going to have noticeable SDE, especially since it's right in your face.

I'm curious if you have personally tried it. I've demoed it several times and although I've used other VR systems, I never saw anything that is described as SDE. It's definitely relatively low resolution, but once you get going, it's not a big deal, except if there is a lot of text to read (I'm looking at you Battlezone HUD).

Sounds like the guy is talking about resolution, not SDE.

Written about a month ago:
http://www.vrheads.com/playstation-vr-why-theres-no-screen-door-effect

Just wanted to touch on this, I've tried PSVR at Best Buy twice. The first time was about 2 months ago when they started demoing it at BB's nationwide. When I thought back about the SDE I honestly couldn't remember seeing one. I thought maybe their wasn't one at all. I went back again last week and focused on trying to see the SDE. And yes their is one, but it's barely noticeable.

From what I can remember, instead of a rectangle like what I've seen from my smartphone and cheap goggles it looks more like a circle. Except the dark edges outside the circle barely stick out. When I focused on it I could see it. But when I focused on the game I didn't notice it at all and felt it was non existent because of how little it stuck out. This is completely on another world compared to the cheap goggles I got for my phone where the SDE was very noticeable and very distracting.

I really wish Sony had given the Gran Turismo series to Evolution to do instead of getting rid of them.

This seems amazing.

Some people will believe anything. I don't care what tech the PSVR uses, that low of a resolution is going to have noticeable SDE, especially since it's right in your face.

Not sure if they will every release a super high resolution version in the future since I'm sure they'll move on to 3D Part 2 or whatever the next fad is in a few years to try and sell electronics.

Having used both OR extensively and doing the PSVR demos in store, the screen door effect is super noticeable in the OR whereas I didn't really see any PSVR screen door at all. The PC I use with OR obviously has much better graphical fidelity than the PS4 but I can see what they are talking about because it definitely does often seem like the OR actually has worse image quality cause of that SDE.

People thinking VR is a fad, its like 3D TV etc...have no idea what its like when someone experiences their favorite genre or content in VR.

VR is absolutely amazing for car/racing games. Just showing a car fan a good VR car game and they will want to buy one for that genre alone.

Sony is very very smart having a lot of demos. VR cant be described only experienced, so the more demos the better. For someone to want to buy VR, they need to see something they like in VR.

Top Bottom