• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Droopy Blocks! New Puzzle Game from ex Crystal Dynamics and Naughty Dog devs

CHoltz

390384_322446021101708_202410099771968_1312071_1588433283_n.jpg

What is this “Droopy Blocks”

“Droopy Blocks” is a fresh new take on 2D action/puzzle game designed specifically for tablets. The Droopy Blocks are cute, living blocks of goo that were made in a secret laboratory. They were accidentally melted and now must be put back in their original shapes.

To get the Droopy Block back into its original shape the player uses little creatures called “Suckers” to suck the gelatinous block in different directions. While the Suckers pull the block in the direction the player chooses, the player holds the parts of the block they do not want to move with their fingers. Through this fun, finger-twisting and mind-bending gameplay the player can reshape the “Droopy Block”!

Key Features:

• Innovative dripping and holding puzzle gameplay mechanic
  • 80 puzzles set in 4 diverse stages
  • Puzzle with character! The Droopy Blocks giggle when poked in the mouth or wince when stuck in the eye
  • A high-score, 5 minute, Championship mode that allows players to compete against each globally via OpenFeint leaderboards
  • 4 profile slots so multiple people can play on the same device

The target release is early 2012, January or February

FIRST GAMEPLAY VIDEO HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/MBSGAMES

or

12/16/11 UPDATED CONTEST: Win a hand-made stuffed Droopy Block! (As seen in the background of the Teaser Video)

• [*]Go to the MBS Games Facebook page
    [*]Share the Teaser/Announcement video https://www.facebook.com/MBSGAMES
    [*]We will choose 1 winner randomly from everyone 10 people that shares the video next by Friday, December 23rd

387500_322470801099230_202410099771968_1312082_1831343846_n.jpg

Who the heck is Mechanical Butterfly Studios (MBS)?

MBS is a game company located in San Francisco and founded by professional game designer, Casey Holtz. Prior to starting the company Casey worked on “Tony Hawk: Project 8”, “Tomb Raider: Underworld”, “Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter (Wii)”, among other games for PS2, Xbox 360, and PS3. MBS focuses on gameplay and design focused games for downloadable distribution. “Droopy Blocks” was developed by Casey Holtz, Art and Design, Amir Ebrahimi Programming (Ex- Naughty Dog and Flagship) and original soundtrack by Patrick Lee.

Thank you so much for your time! We hope to share more with you on the game over the coming weeks including a gameplay trailer and a “How-to Play” video and of course lots of screen shots!

Kind Regards,

Casey Holtz

Creative Director and Founder
Mechanical Butterfly Studios LLC.

CHoltz

We are planning on adding Game Center actually. It is on the polish/to-do list. Do you guys like Achievements?

We are definitely open to any other advice or recommendations, especially concerning the price point. Right now we are thinking 1.99 or Free for the first 10 puzzles and then in-app to buy the rest of the game.

What do you guys think?

bubnbob

Banned
We are planning on adding Game Center actually. It is on the polish/to-do list. Do you guys like Achievements?

We are definitely open to any other advice or recommendations, especially concerning the price point. Right now we are thinking 1.99 or Free for the first 10 puzzles and then in-app to buy the rest of the game.

What do you guys think?

I'd rather buy the whole thing in one go - initial 80, then add more down the road for IAP (or a free update? plz) if you feel like it. Showing constant support for a title will entice people to buy it, knowing there will/could be more on the horizon.

And Game Center please.

What do you guys think?

A demo is always welcome ;)

Pastry

Banned
A demo is always welcome ;)

I think a lite version with 10 or so levels and then a full version is the best way to go. Glad y'all are planning on supporting Game Center. Why do so many devs choose to start with Openfeint and add Game Center later? Is Openfeint easier to work with?

CHoltz

Yes, OpenFeint is easier to implement and seems easier to use and faster from my perspective as a player.

I personally do not really use Game Center when I am playing...maybe I am missing out.

You had me at "puzzle", "blocks" and "iPad"

In all seriousness, GameCenter is a must these days. Achievements and/or leaderboards. I refuse to use OF.

As for the price point, I'm certainly not one of these people that moan and complain about having to spend a few bucks on a game, so I'd much rather have the full game at $1.99 as opposed to the "free, pay to unlock rest of the game" type of set-up. If you do that, you might as well just do a Lite and Full version instead.

Looking forward to a gameplay trailer!

Aesthet1c

Sounds really interesting. I'm kind of a huge cheap skate when it comes to iOS games, so I would vote for a Lite/Paid version. Too much of iOS is garbage, and I almost never buy an app without either trying out a Lite version first, or hearing tons of praise from trusted sources.

Also, even though it seems unpopular in this thread, having the first few levels free and then pay to unlock the rest is another great move. Especially if the price to unlock the rest is the same as the app would have cost anyways. I don't understand why people would argue against having a free stab at something before paying for it.

FWIW, I don't click Yes to the Openfeint thing. I know that lots don't. I will use GameCenter, but all others seem a bit pointless. I'll definitely check this out when it's released.

CHoltz

Hey Guys, thanks for all the feedback, it is really appreciated. I am working on editing the gameplay video now. I will be posting it on Friday.

The gameplay is really really different, so I think the trial might be the way to go. It is a bit more involved than Angry Birds or even Cut the Rope. Some puzzles require you to use both hands an multiple fingers to beat them. Each puzzle takes about 10-30 seconds to complete if you know how to complete it.

Also, we would be really grateful if you please share the announcement video off of our Facebook page. The contest is that we will choose 3 people randomly from people share the video and send them a stuffed Droopy Block. They even have hand-made labels on the back of them and they are all different looking ^_-

Right now only 3 people have shared it so your chance of winning one is super high.

374843_324714084208235_202410099771968_1317328_1884207623_n.jpg

Pastry

Banned
You might also want to put the video and information on the Facebook promotion in the iOS thread, you'll probably get a pretty good response there.

CHoltz

Two more days to win a stuffed Droopy Block!

Also

We will post the first gameplay video for the game as well!

bubnbob

Banned
#3, only because having the title on icon when it will say it on the iOS device anyway below is redundant to me

CHoltz

Here are some screens to get a feel for the game. We will be making a new trailer this week and also plan to release the game Thursday Jan 26th if all goes well.

407222_345255485487428_202410099771968_1390064_25163077_n.jpg

393718_345254328820877_202410099771968_1390061_1165295744_n.jpg

399966_345252395487737_202410099771968_1390060_1876300800_n.jpg

Top Bottom