• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS JRPG-gasm: World Destruction conference (info, news, dates, screens, videos)

duckroll

Case said:
Actually the 3rd screen just looks like a zoomed-in view of the 2nd screens interface, maybe cause of the special attack thats going on

You're right, but in the 2nd pic since the main character is attacking his extra stat display seems to cover the the other 2 characters' stats. Otherwise it's the same interface.

kiryogi

Banned
duckroll said:
I watched the gameplay trailer again, and now I'm wondering....

2ngzplt.jpg

They showed 3 different battle sequences in that segment, but each segment has a totally different interface. I wonder what's up with that...

Looks like they're previous renditions of the battle iface, with the first image being the most current one. Since that's what we've been seeing in recent screenies. Although, it's a bit funny for something like slip past. Using old footage and all.

duckroll

kiryogi said:
Looks like they're previous renditions of the battle iface, with the first image being the most current one. Since that's what we've been seeing in recent screenies. Although, it's a bit funny for something like slip past. Using old footage and all.

Hmmmmm.... even the monster looks kinda different compared to the first screenshot provided:

wd23.jpg

OMG this game looks SO FUCKING HOT.

duckroll said:
You might be on to something there, but it doesnt fully explain why the top screen has 3 different types of stat display interfaces. If it's fully customizable that would be pretty cool...

The middle one has only a single character with an expanded stat breakdown, so that one's probably a triggerable "status" menu -- but it also looks to me like the interface is customizable (!)

kiryogi

Banned
I think the biggest oddity about the 3 shots tho, would be their battle portraits. That's often another flag meaning it's a earlier build. Also the battle bg for the shot you just posted is pretty different from what's seen in the video as well ducky.

JaMarco

duckroll said:
Hmmmmm.... even the monster looks kinda different compared to the first screenshot provided:
its definitely not the same fight, even the arena they're fighting on is different

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Looks glorious. The DS is really the RPG platform right now, with most of it RPg load coming this year and early next year. I just hope most of these RPGs are released outside of Japan and dont pull a ToI or SB on us.

Neomoto

That does look awesome. I agree with posters above, the DS is starting to get more interesting RPGs than I can keep track off.. let alone buy and play them all!

wsippel

Banned
I want to see Image Epoch's Wii game. Nothing against World Destruction, it looks great and I'll probably buy it, but the DS isn't exactly a RPG-starved system. I actually don't even know when to play all those great DS games, there are just too many of them. That's not true for that other Nintendo system, unfortunately...

Hive

Banned
Is this the DS game that was said to "surprise everyone that this could be done on DS"? Or maybe I'm thinking of Infinite Line.

I'll check out the anime for sure

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit. This looks magnificent. This might just be the bar-setting DS RPG to beat, and it's been getting a more and more robust rpg library recently. Fucking excellent.

duckroll

Mejilan said:
Holy shit. This looks magnificent. This might just be the bar-setting DS RPG to beat, and it's been getting a more and more robust rpg library recently. Fucking excellent.

In terms of production values and general ambition, this definitely looks to be the highest profile new RPG IP on the DS yet. I still feel Image Epoch's game design ability is unproven, and this will probably be the one game to make or break their reputation. I really hope it's good, but at the moment all we're really assured of is that Mikage's intentions are in the right place, and he's managed to get one hellavu awesome art, scenario, and sound team together.

Edit: And it's not just Infinte Line. World Destruction made that claim too. The original Famitsu article that unveiled it said that it's a RPG that uses 2D and 3D that goes beyond the boundaries of the hardware it is on.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
duckroll said:
In terms of production values and general ambition, this definitely looks to be the highest profile new RPG IP on the DS yet. I still feel Image Epoch's game design ability is unproven, and this will probably be the one game to make or break their reputation. I really hope it's good, but at the moment all we're really assured of is that Mikage's intentions are in the right place, and he's managed to get one hellavu awesome art, scenario, and sound team together.

It just looks like they've got the basis for a really awesome, high-end PSOne-era style JRPG here, and since that was one of my favorite generations for JRPGs... it's VERY exciting to see this project unveiled. I'm really hoping it loves up to my hopes... much like Etrian Odyssey surprisingly managed. I get the same "it just looks and feels right" vibes seeing this, as I got from seeing Etrian Odyssey come together.

Note, I expected EO to disappoint. But I hoped for the best, and pretty much got it. I'm really hoping World Destruction similarly delivers (and comes out here!) :)

Rpgmonkey

Oh crap, September just became an even more awesome (and expensive) month for me. :D

Looks solid enough to be worth importing.

Xelinis

I thought that Luminous Arc was terribly mediocre. However, Mikage clearly has an intense love of PS1 style RPGs just as I and many of us here do. I don't know whether he'll be able to pull this one off but I appreciate his work either way.

Go Mikage!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
WD looks great. I'm glad they're going with the 2gbit cart. It should be interesting what they do with it.

I'll definitely be checking out the anime, especially considering it's being done by Production IG.

batbeg

duckroll said:
ITmedia has an article on the conference too: http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0805/30/news110_2.html

The anime is confirmed to be only 13 episodes, while the article further confirms that dungeons in the game will have a 360 degree rotatable camera.

Awesome.

In fact, everything about this game seems awesome. I've not enjoyed the DS for it's RPGs much to date to be honest, and this is probably the most hyped I've got for a DS RPG. Although I am also kind of wary of Image Epoch as I intensely dislike Luminous Arc, everything about this just seems so right, and I'm already a fan :lol

Can't wait for the in-game trailer (20th?).

KurowaSan said:
loved the music of that CG trailer, so i ripped it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M47F9BBQ

! Thank you, that is some awesome music.

Pellham

Banned
I'm sorry, but I don't see any quality in those screens or info. This just looks like a typical 2d jRPG. Are you people that desperate for traditional jRPGs?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Pellham said:
I'm sorry, but I don't see any quality in those screens or info. This just looks like a typical 2d jRPG. Are you people that desperate for traditional jRPGs?

Yeah, I am, but the backgrounds look pretty good for DS 3D and the "destroy the world" instead of saving it sounds like it could be a neat twist on RPG tropes.

Pellham said:

I think we're all seeing that the engine feels like Grandia 1 and we are liking that paired with the team and the concepts...

...looks awesome!
hopefully it's challenging and has some bonus nonlinear sidequests.

I'm sure its going to be a long time before its localized though
we will have Dragon Quest IV and FFIV in the meantime.

Top Bottom