• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi Battery life bad for anyone else?

Kunan

My DSi barely gets 3.5 hours on max brightness with wifi off playing zelda: phantom hourglass before I get the dreaded red light. It's been a bit better with FFT: A2, but not so much. Is my battery just a bad apple, or is this the same for everyone else? Or has the red light time interval been increased?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You`re playing on max bright ? your poor eyes...

Shiggie

:lol why are you using Max brightness? do you play directly in the sun. The most ive used outside is Lv. 3. Seriously when I tried to use on max, my eyes started to tear.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Don't use max brightness and turn off the wifi.

Kunan

Shiggie said:
:lol why are you using Max brightness? do you play directly in the sun. The most ive used outside is Lv. 3. Seriously when I tried to use on max, my eyes started to tear.
I spend most of my time playing DS on the bus and there is a ton of sun, didn't think max brightness would kill it that bad but its painfully obvious now

Dragmire

No, if Wi-Fi communications are on, it's always searching for access points. I've tested it and so have others. It drains the battery faster.

I managed to get about 20% more battery life out of my touch 2g just by moving the brightness bar from it's default to just under half way, the brightness difference is not much at all (seems like it at first because your eyes adjusted to the brighter screen) but i'm getting a much better battery life out of the thing because of it. Still get great colours without it looking shit.

Valtor

Banned
Dragmire said:
No, if Wi-Fi communications are on, it's always searching for access points. I've tested it and so have others. It drains the battery faster.

Even if a non-wifi game is running? this makes no sense...

madara

Good to know as mine had a default of 4 brightness and wifi was on. Not that I am getting much playing on it yet to run out. I need another Dragon Quest!!

HUELEN10

Valtor said:
THIS. Seriously, it goes against what the manual states. The wi-fi function off is nothing more than airplane mode. It doesn't mean it will be constantly on if left on.

Dragmire

I'm pretty sure we've been through this before in another thread. People were saying the PSP and other wireless devices do it, too, I think. Yes, if wireless communications are on, it's always searching for access points. No matter what game or application you're in. And you will notice a difference in battery performance. Whether or not that's negligible is up to you. I only turn it on for the web browser or the DSi Shop.

nli10

My battery seems to run down as soon as I turn on Disgaea DS, it gets dark suddenly too...

In all seriousness use the select+volume shortcut to adjust your brightness as needed and sit on the shady side of the bus/train. You can double your battery life by being smart about what level you play on.

In general lowest level is for playing in total darkness, highest for bright light outside.

Level 4 brightness - the second highest - is my default (and the factory default). I turned off wi-fi last night after a charge. Hopefully that'll indeed lead to longer battery life.

bounchfx

they already mentioned how much shorter the life would be over the DS Lite.

just another perk of paying a higher price on a four year old handheld

mrkgoo

Valtor said:

No what would make no sense is why they would offer an off switch and a dedicated wifi light if it didn't matter.

I had terrible battery life initially. I even had my DSi lose charge while asleep, which basically never happened on my lite. I anecdotally believe it is the brightness (I was on 4, have switched to 3), and the wifi.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
HUELEN10 said:
THIS. Seriously, it goes against what the manual states. The wi-fi function off is nothing more than airplane mode. It doesn't mean it will be constantly on if left on.

I thought the fact that the DSi had a wifi light and the ability to switch it off would be enough of a hint that it doesn't function the same way as the DS Lite.

mrkgoo said:
No what would make no sense is why they would offer an off switch and a dedicated wifi light if it didn't matter.

I had terrible battery life initially. I even had my DSi lose charge while asleep, which basically never happened on my lite. I anecdotally believe it is the brightness (I was on 4, have switched to 3), and the wifi.

I've had the same issues. I play the DSi before I go to sleep and occasionally just shut it and fall asleep. The phat DS could stay in the sleep mode forever, the DSlite was a little less, but the DSi's sleep mode actually seems to be draining the battery.

Also, I turned the Wifi off and have the brightness set to 3 and I'm not getting more than 5 hours a charge playing Civilization Revolutions; it's been kinda bumming me out.

zigg

nubbe said:
Wifi enabeld devices will always try to communicate unless you kill it with the switch

That's not true. If your device is a PC running Windows, yes, its default action is to associate with any friendly APs it finds. But other kinds of devices? No, not necessarily.

I've got a Palm here that, even when Wi-Fi is switched on, won't do a thing until you actually run an app on it that requires Internet access—at that point it springs into life, associates, and goes. If Wi-Fi is off, it will say, "hey, I can't do that, it's off. Want to turn it on?"

The DSi, likewise, doesn't even send out probe packets unless you do something to go online. I ran a wireless sniffer for a half hour while playing the DSi, and didn't see a thing. Hopped into the browser, and it flares up... probes, associates, communicates, deassociates when done... and then complete radio silence again. Saw my Wii, saw the neighbors associating to their own AP... but the DSi was only using its radio when I was in the browser.

There's no reason to believe that the Wi-Fi light and Wi-Fi system setting are anything other than a hard switch to prevent the DS from trying to do wireless communications when it shouldn't (i.e. on airplanes.) Unless anyone's actually got some actual data to suggest otherwise, and not just some vague feeling that it's helping to turn the little yellow light off?

zigg

-COOLIO- said:
would you guys go for a lithium ds?

Huh?

Lithium batteries are disposable, like alkalines.

The DSi (and all Nintendo handhelds back to the GBA SP) have lithium-ion batteries, just like pretty much any other device these days...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
zigg said:
Huh?

Lithium batteries are disposable, like alkalines.

The DSi (and all Nintendo handhelds back to the GBA SP) have lithium-ion batteries, just like pretty much any other device these days...
wait the ds doesnt use AA batteries? wow my mind is blow all this time i thought they did :eek:

that actually makes me a lot more likely to buy one

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
-COOLIO- said:
wait the ds doesnt use AA batteries? wow my mind is blow all this time i thought they did :eek:

:lol You're kidding right?

whitehawk

Banned
-COOLIO- said:

What?! :lol The Phat DS didn't even use AA batteries. :lol

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I always have my DSL set to the very lowest brightness, the batteries last forever, it's awesome.

mrkgoo

Ironballs said:
pretty sure the original GBA was the last Nintendo handheld to use AA batteries.

I think so. I loved the upgrade in battery tech over the years:

GB: 4xAA
GBP: 2xAAA
GBC: 2xAA
GBA:2xAA
GBSP: Rechargeable
DS: Rechargeable
DSL: rechargeable

I think the DSi is the first handheld to offer significantly less battery life. But that's ok. It's bundles of fun.

Wallach

Can't say that I do - put in about six hours of The Dark Spire on brightness 4 (second highest) and it's not turned red yet.

You want to see poor battery life, fire up an iPhone or iPod Touch, set 'em to max brightness and play something that requires constant input.

Ecto311

Wallach said:
Can't say that I do - put in about six hours of The Dark Spire on brightness 4 (second highest) and it's not turned red yet.

You want to see poor battery life, fire up an iPhone or iPod Touch, set 'em to max brightness and play something that requires constant input.

Same with my 1000 series PSP. I would love to play more games on it but the bastard dies all the time. My DSi lasts for a lot longer with brighter screen and the wi-fi on.

That is my #1 gripe with the psp. I own like 12 psp games and over 80 DS games. It would be different if the fuckin psp would work outside of my house being away from the outlet.

Top Bottom