• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DT: The Xbox Series X is the wrong console for Climate Change. Will increase carbon footprint.

That’s good news for graphical fidelity. Yet there may be a significant, troubling consequence: An increase in gaming’s contribution to climate change. Gamers have enjoyed the luxury of ignoring this issue so far, but a significant increase in power draw from next-gen console hardware could increase gaming’s carbon footprint when exactly the opposite is needed.

Is it really a problem?
You might not think your console contributes much to climate change. Game consoles don’t produce any obvious pollution, and while some end up in dumps, many are resold. Power consumption isn’t frequently discussed by console manufacturers and consoles don’t carry the bright yellow Energy Guide labels you’ll find on an oven, refrigerator, or dryer.

A recent study in The Computer Games Journal found that U.S. gamers are responsible for as much carbon dioxide as 5 million cars annually. While that’s obviously less than the transportation industry, it puts gaming ahead of all the nation’s freezers, cooking devices, washers, or dishwashers. The study also found consoles contributed 66% of gaming’s total carbon output, easily outpacing PC desktops, PC laptops, and media streaming devices.

So, yes. Gaming’s carbon footprint is a problem. It’s not causing the climate crisis alone, but it contributes. A game console’s power must come from somewhere. In most parts of the world, that somewhere is a power plant that emits greenhouse gases.

And with the Bluray drive, it causes the CO2 to explode if the room temperature is too high, killing millions of gamers in the process.

I DEMAND we all go to MIcrosoft HQ and and demand a less powerful 240p console, with frame rates pf up to 10fps, and 30 polygons per 3D model RIGHT NOW to save everyone from dying due to exploding Bluray discs climate change, and we can all pitch in to pay for Greta Thunbergs ticket to join us.

I also DEMAND that Sony also get into gear, I want no watts in my PS5, you have to use a pedal to turn on your PS5 and it only lasts 45 minutes per session. Then, I want nothing more than 3DFX tier graphics and no disc drive unless it's for UMD, the most carbon friendly disc format, so no more carbon energy is produced. If our Refrigerator pumps out less Carbon than an Xbox or Playstation that means at every user of this forum has at least killed 500,000 people each.

Every year, 4 million gamers die because of Climate change and exploding Bluray discs and gamers always take it for granted. But no more!

Who's in!?!?!!?

ManaByte

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh fuck off... If you're actually an extinction rebellion climate apocalypse hardliner, then how do you justify not quitting your bullshit consumer products blogging job or even thinking of using electricity to play video games. I can't be the only one that is really getting sick of this smug condescending nonsense.

Oh god, look at this idiot:

Playing a massive power-hungry gaming laptop right in his Twitter bio pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
She scares me... nightmare fuel right there.
Anyway - who cares about this... Everyone promotes electric fuel cars... while You need to burn A LOT more coal to charge the car with electricity rather than burn fuel in the car.
The eu focuses on ruining lives of everyone by adding 5/6 bins, removing plastic straws, bag and all that crap but hey - it's a drop in the ocean of savings when there is a raging fire somewhere else or india dumps everything into oceans. Even 1 tanker burns as much fuel as thousands of cars.
but now!!! - the console is 200watts ?! FUCK NOW.
I mean - Everyone switched to LED bulbs. 1 bulb was 100watt and now all bulbs combined in flat are less than 50 probably. And the energy is more expensive than ever.
edit: Sorry for pointless rambling :p I just hate how eu does this crap

Last edited:

pr0cs

I think asshats writing shit articles are a bigger threat to climate change, why can't we limit who writes this shitty drivel?

Oh fuck off... If you're actually an extinction rebellion climate apocalypse hardliner, then how do you justify not quitting your bullshit consumer products blogging job or even thinking of using electricity to play video games. I can't be the only one that is really getting sick of this smug condescending nonsense.

Oh god, look at this idiot:

Playing a massive power-hungry gaming laptop right in his Twitter bio pic.
Lmao I hope people call him out on this shit.

ethomaz

Banned
Useless article lol

But after their disappointment list lol Lol can see they do articles only for the clicks.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think it is a valid concern and I would like it if games aiming at 4k or more could optionally be run at lower res and lower wattage, as I am going to play at 900p anyway.

Jtibh

Banned
Yeah right brohan.
Mmmm stadia with their console centres that doesnt count.

Xcloud with theirs doesnt count.

But you come after me with climate change hahaha.

Went to ikea the other day . Got a pop at the food court and wanted it to go. Bitch tells me they dont have paper cups cuz ikea is very green.

Got an ikea kitchen to put into a low end home . EVERY FUCKING LITTLE SHIT WAS INDIVIDUALY PACKED IN CARDBOARD. I cut my hands 50 times and had to deal a pile of garbage to dispose.

Fuck climate change fuck greta and leave us alone

Last edited:

McCheese

What a weird story, folks who were not staying at home playing videogames would likely be driving about or consuming other stuff. Also, Xbox is electric, so if I have PV panels it's basically "free" to run the thing.

Labo, on the other hand, is literally a tree in a box.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Cool. I will make sure and buy one for the upstairs and downstairs. Global economic chaos attempted by climate freaks is a far more immediate and greater threat than climate change which we do not have a significant enough control over outside of what we have already been doing.

They don't even mention positives about how the O-zone will be fully restored by 2035 or so based on the actions we started taking in the late 1980s. I understand there is more to it than that, but that was in fact a huge step.

Here's the sad thing about man-made climate change: the vast majority of people don't care.

2025 will come and we'll still be arguing over targets.
2030 will come and we'll be setting new targets.
2050 will come and we'll realise we didn't act quickly enough to hit the new targets.
2070 will come and climate refugees will be flooding into any country that's not at immediate risk.
2100 will come and ... well, us lot will most likely be dead by then, so ...

Teslerum

Cool. I will make sure and buy one for the upstairs and downstairs. Global economic chaos attempted by climate freaks is a far more immediate and greater threat than climate change which we do not have a significant enough control over outside of what we have already been doing.

They don't even mention positives about how the O-zone will be fully restored by 2035 or so based on the actions we started taking in the late 1980s. I understand there is more to it than that, but that was in fact a huge step.

Why should they? So far, the whole thing has been a blame game rather than effectivly working towards an enviromental future (regardless of climate change). It's not about positives, neither is it about improving the enviroment. If it was there are tons of things we could do right now or work towards that would have an effect. But most of em' don't even get mentioned and those that are, are the most impractical ones just to stir up shit.

Pallas

He didn’t quite think that one through... Probably should of change that twitter picture to a less hypocritical depiction. It’s weird he single handily picked the upcoming next gen console from Microsoft and not that laptop or any other current product that exists today.

Thaedolus

Oh FFS. You know, people rolling coal are assholes but this article makes me sorta understand why they do it...

Top Bottom