• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DT: The Xbox Series X is the wrong console for Climate Change. Will increase carbon footprint.

GymWolf

The best solution is suicide after the murder of all our relatives.
Less human less pollution.
At least we need to stop reproducing.

on a serious note.
Xbox SX and PS5 will consume a lot of energy.
What’s the power consumption of a good gaming pc?
700w/h 800?
I have a 550W for a very good pc but for a 2080ti+9900k you need at least a 650w i guess.

Banned
TIL, Bunch of gaffers don't understand the threat that climate change poses and throw hate towards a young girl. Sure, the xbox carbon footprint might seem a bit silly, but climate change is legit dangerous. What a strange thing to really against.

never underestimate the stupidity of people,
but that article is also extremely stupid and highly hypocritical to say the least.

Shifty1897

TIL, Bunch of gaffers don't understand the threat that climate change poses and throw hate towards a young girl. Sure, the xbox carbon footprint might seem a bit silly, but climate change is legit dangerous. What a strange thing to really against.
I'll agree that it is an issue, but nothing short of nuclear warfare or a bioengineered plague is going to stop it. The problem is too many people, the only solution is stop the exponential growth of human life, and I doubt anyone wants to try and beat Chairman Mao's high score.

I'll agree that it is an issue, but nothing short of nuclear warfare or a bioengineered plague is going to stop it. The problem is too many people, the only solution is stop the exponential growth of human life, and I doubt anyone wants to try and beat Chairman Mao's high score.
I'll give it a whirl.

Just need to start my biscuit based dictatorship.

Kenpachii

The best solution is suicide after the murder of all our relatives.
Less human less pollution.
At least we need to stop reproducing.

on a serious note.
Xbox SX and PS5 will consume a lot of energy.
What’s the power consumption of a good gaming pc?
700w/h 800?

9900k 1080ti, 150 watt when i just sit on forums and watch a movie.
350 watt when i play games.

What they also didn't account for is that guys that game are not dating girls and get them pregnant which helps against overpopulation. They also live with there parents for most of there life which reduces the need for extra housing and more heating etc etc.

Gaming should be heavily promoted and xbox series x as part of it is probably the best product to push the greenest enviroment forwards.

Greta:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Portugeezer

Climate change is a serious issue, but it's not a factor I think about when buying a console. What we need is more renewable energy sources, or nuclear.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Useless clickbait. Gives no mention of hours of utility and number of people being entertained to match 5 million cars. At 245W, replacing a few old bulbs with LEDs offsets this, and probably get many many more hours of use.

Do they ever also give thought to the power use of a simple web search, or your cotton shirt, or anything about being alive.

I dunno about you guys but with the few hours a week I play games as an adulteyperson, I couldn't give a rats ass about peak power draw, it barely moves my needle. What matters more is good idle power figures which is where it'll be 95% of its life.

This is great. Did someone post this on resetera? They need to know! (..and don't forget to mention that the best solution is to stop gaming completely)

(Here is the link to the article for if you want to read it, but don't want to reward their clickbait..)

I find it a sad time to be a human when even a gaming forum needs to be split into left and right leaning... I consider myself a fence sitter so I use both but I find myself posting more and more here than there...

Funnily enough I thought the exact same thing when I saw this thread “that other place” would eat this up...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I have a fire-breathing gaming PC with a 3900X and a 1080 Ti and I'm going to upgrade it to a 3080 Ti next year AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

My 9900K can run so damn hot I could boil water on it to make my morning coffee. That shit can hit 100C. To be fair under normal use it's 20-70C which is fine. 20C is idle and 70C is encoding video. It only hit 100C running at 5.0Ghz running a stress test with AVX workload.

The 9900K can use about 250W. My 2080 can use about the same. I always thought it was bullshit when people said their PC could heat their room but it really is true. That system throws a shit lot of heat out and I can actually feel the difference after running a game for a while.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Oh yes let's ignore everything causing climate change and let's just focus on the new Xbox. Fuck off already

Well, the left really wants to ban cars or at least least raise fuel prices sky high to make them unaccessible to anyone but the rich. But that literally will make life unlivable for everyone not living in a major city with mass transit.

On the flip side, gaming is a completely useless activity (albeit fun) that will really impact no one's lives if it's banned. Same with streaming video places with their giant server farms. OMG people might have to watch broadcast TV or cable.

Not advocating for any of it to be banned, since I don't think CC is a big deal, but the impact on everyday life would be minimal if consoles were banned and yet we can't even do that.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m already at essentially the minimal climate footprint a family of 4 can have.

My round trip commute is under 6 minutes, we keep our house cooler then average and I burn roughly 2 tanks of gas a month.

If I decide I want to have fun playing video games in my house while I’m there, I think I’m rightfully entitled to do so, and fuck everyone that tries to make me feel guilty about it.

ExpandKong

Banned

I’ll give a shit about the wattage of an XBox the second anybody seriously takes China to task about the exponentially greater amount of damage they do to the environment than us. We do more than anybody else except probably some EU countries to reduce carbon footprints and all that shit but people around the world still call us assholes. I just don’t care anymore.

Mista

Banned
I’m already at essentially the minimal climate footprint a family of 4 can have.

My round trip commute is under 6 minutes, we keep our house cooler then average and I burn roughly 2 tanks of gas a month.

If I decide I want to have fun playing video games in my house while I’m there, I think I’m rightfully entitled to do so, and fuck everyone that tries to make me feel guilty about it.
giphy.gif

Ar¢tos

Don't worry, we are heading for full white genocide. That is going to solve all of the world problems.
Less people and no more evil or pollution, the world will be at peace!

Top Bottom