• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dual core pc gamers

tedhbrown

Banned
I can tell you right now NONE of that ever fixed my problems. I ended up selling my X2 for a regular 64 because I couldn't standing random crashes and speedup/slowdown problems in games.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I just plugged it up and started installing shit. Short of running the 64-bit version of XP, I assumed it was business as usual.

Using an Intel dually tho.

Pimpbaa

Zero problems with my Athlon X2 3800+. I installed the amd driver and the hotfix and everything has been perfect with it since I got it.

Pimpbaa

tedhbrown said:
I can tell you right now NONE of that ever fixed my problems. I ended up selling my X2 for a regular 64 because I couldn't standing random crashes and speedup/slowdown problems in games.

Sounds more like a problem with quiet n cool. That shit should always be turned off.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Interesting. How are the dual core CPUs for a laptop? I may end getting a cheap 12" with an Intel.

Not that I plan to play a lot with it, but the stability concerns me.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
They're great. Battery life is far longer than I expected it to be.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
my x24400 oc'd to 2700mhz is rock stable, never had any crashes once i got the settings correct

sounds to me ted you had other issues going on.

tedhbrown

Banned
GashPrex said:
my x24400 oc'd to 2700mhz is rock stable, never had any crashes once i got the settings correct

sounds to me ted you had other issues going on.

Yes I know I'm such a n00b with no clue. It's amazing how switching the CPU out with a regular 64 fixed my problem.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
yeah thats what i said, you were a noob with no clue.

my point is that you have may have gotten a bad processor, or any number of other issues - motherboard, power supply, memory, cooling etc... that can crop up with using an x2. I know there countless numbers of x2 owners who have not had the same problems you have had, myself included

tedhbrown

Banned
GashPrex said:
yeah thats what i said, you were a noob with no clue.

my point is that you have may have gotten a bad processor, or any number of other issues - motherboard, power supply, memory, cooling etc... that can crop up with using an x2. I know there countless numbers of x2 owners who have not had the same problems you have had, myself included

Well the CPU wasn't bad, I know that. The X2 ran at a constant 38 degrees Celsius under full load. I didn't change anything when I replaced the CPU, so everything else in my system is the same. Now I can actually play source engine games without random crashes. Before I sold my X2, I tried a fresh install of windows and all those fixes, and yet again it still didn't fix the problem. I had a theory that it could have been a problem with Nvidia drivers (even though I tried all different kinds, including the latest 80 series), but this still doesn't make any sense because other people with X2 and Nvida cards don't have these problems.

Really though, even if all those tweaks did fix everyone's problems (which they don't), it's still way to much work for something that should just be plug and play. Also, you may know lots of X2 owners with no problems, but I have seen lots of X2 owners with the same problems as me. Just go visit some hardware forums, and you'll see lots of threads with people complaining about the same problems I had. What really sucks is that I wanted to keep the CPU, because it was so great at multitasking. I'm going to try again in one year and hope that these problems are fixed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
have never had any problems, though I am running x-64 also.. game compatibility is through the roof and speed is great.

I honestly had no idea what you were talking about when I came in here :p

Pimpbaa

tedhbrown said:
Well the CPU wasn't bad, I know that. The X2 ran at a constant 38 degrees Celsius under full load. I didn't change anything when I replaced the CPU, so everything else in my system is the same. Now I can actually play source engine games without random crashes. Before I sold my X2, I tried a fresh install of windows and all those fixes, and yet again it still didn't fix the problem. I had a theory that it could have been a problem with Nvidia drivers (even though I tried all different kinds, including the latest 80 series), but this still doesn't make any sense because other people with X2 and Nvida cards don't have these problems.

Really though, even if all those tweaks did fix everyone's problems (which they don't), it's still way to much work for something that should just be plug and play. Also, you may know lots of X2 owners with no problems, but I have seen lots of X2 owners with the same problems as me. Just go visit some hardware forums, and you'll see lots of threads with people complaining about the same problems I had. What really sucks is that I wanted to keep the CPU, because it was so great at multitasking. I'm going to try again in one year and hope that these problems are fixed.

The fixes and stuff are needed because windows xp really wasn't made for dual core. Anyway, did you try a bios update for your motherboard?

borghe said:
have never had any problems, though I am running x-64 also.. game compatibility is through the roof and speed is great.

I honestly had no idea what you were talking about when I came in here :p

oh i havent had any issues yet either, but I like to worry about shit before it happens or something :lol

tedhbrown said:

I used to have random crashes with my Athlon (single core Newcastle), turns out it was AMDs driver that was causing all of the trouble. I got rid of it and started using RMClock to handle the Cool n' Quiet duties, everything's been fine since.

cicero

tedhbrown said:
I installed the new bios update for my DFI Lanparty mobo and had no further problems whatsoever.

Athlon X2 4400+
DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR

_leech_ said:
I used to have random crashes with my Athlon (single core Newcastle), turns out it was AMDs driver that was causing all of the trouble. I got rid of it and started using RMClock to handle the Cool n' Quiet duties, everything's been fine since.

dont use cool and quiet

its the teh devil! /waterboy mama

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have an Intel Core Duo 2.0 in my laptop. No problems whatsoever playing Half-Life 2 and BF2. Haven't tried other games yet.

Don't know about the workload distribution - i.e. if both processors are utilized effectively. Is there a system tool in XP for this?

HokieJoe

I found this article, don't know if it's helpful or not:

How to Install and Use the Interrupt-Affinity Filter Tool
Article ID : 252867
Last Review : April 5, 2004
Revision : 4.0

SUMMARY
Binding of device interrupts to particular processors on multiprocessor computers is a useful technique to maximize performance, scaling, and partitioning of large computers. Interrupt-Affinity Filter (IntFiltr) is an interrupt-binding tool that permits you to establish affinity for device processors on multiprocessor computers. IntFiltr uses Plug and Play features of Windows 2000 and provides a Graphical User Interface (GUI) to permit interrupt binding. This article describes how to install and use IntFiltr to permit a user to change the Central Processing Unit (CPU) on a single computer.

Kabouter

Own an AMD X2 4200+, but I've yet to run into any trouble. I did just pick up SimCity 4 though and I read I'd have to set the affinity to a single core but that shouldn't pose a problem.

Top Bottom