• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshockers : Interview with Yu Suzuki on Shenmue III (Gameplay, Tech, Romance, etc)

Dualshockers recently posted its interview with Yu Suzuki, talking about Shenmue 3 on a relatively wide array of topics, ranging from tech, to development to themes like romance and stuff.

As DS is banned here, links won't be posted, so just go to their site for the full interview.

Selected excerpts below :

On improving character visuals :
G: How is the process of improving the character visuals since the early prototypes proceeding?

YS: They are being improved. Also, the person who originally created Shenhua, is collaborating with us on her character. Thanks to him, Shenhua is looking a lot cuter.

On SEGA's part with Shenmue :
G: Is Sega involved in any way in the project, or they just gave you the rights to create the game without being involved at all?

YS: It’s difficult to explain. I am the one who created Shenmue, so Sega allows me to take decisions for the game. They trust me because I know more about the workings of the game on than anyone else.

Credit goes to Dualshockers.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
I'm waiting for the click-bait gaming journos to catch up on his (via gestures) demonstration of the A.I. battling system, to write the next Daily Hate article...

I'm waiting for the click-bait gaming journos to catch up on his (via gestures) demonstration of the A.I. battling system, to write the next Daily Hate article...

"Shenmue III Kickstarter fiasco: Due to budget's constraints, Yu Suzuki will do the mocap with his fingers"

Danlord

You bring up clickbait when, ironically, the site this interview came from is banned.

Because, as far as I'm aware - they posted an E3 rumour article with a list of E3 which turned out mostly false. Meanwhile, some other publications have been wrong before or just plain terrible.

If you go on their website with .com/2014/05/07/sony-e3-conference-details-leaked-uncharted-guerrilla-games-media-molecule-and-much-more/ and look at what they posted, some if it wasn't too off.
Uncharted 4 sounds like the 60FPS trailer we got before, perhaps there was an extended cut that never made it in.Media Molecule's was partially right, at least in some respect., Media Molecule's title was partially correct (Entwined was that university project game that was released on the day), Ninja Theory's is semi-true in being a sorta Heavenly Sword 2 from what we know of Hellblade and how Heavenly Sword 2 was going to be written.

DualShockers has been pretty decent in recent times, learning from their past mistakes especially vetting more closely anything they post as rumour and their interview is pretty good, which of the mods can we discuss with in getting them unblocked?

Spaghetti

Here is another interview by French fan David Deville.
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49223
both this and the dualshockers interview give away something very interesting about the game... i'm not sure how big a spoiler it'll be considering yu mentioned it pretty willingly, but i'll use a spoiler tag to talk about it

finally fighting lan di is going to feel so fucking good (provided it isn't just a plain ass kicking from lan di to put ryo in his place)

both interviews made me very eager for the seven and seven and a half million AI battling/higher ground system stretch goals to be reached, but i think that might be out of the question now. it basically entails adding some dynamic variations on moves depending on your range, or the environment you find yourself in. the examples yu used were making ryo step forward for a hooking punch instead of just punching the air if you were out of range, and making ryo leap up against a wall to deliver a flying punch to the enemy if the environment allowed it.

it's nice to see some shenmue 3 coverage that is actually about the game.

Because, as far as I'm aware - they posted an E3 rumour article with a list of E3 which turned out mostly false. Meanwhile, some other publications have been wrong before or just plain terrible.

If you go on their website with .com/2014/05/07/sony-e3-conference-details-leaked-uncharted-guerrilla-games-media-molecule-and-much-more/ and look at what they posted, some if it wasn't too off.
Uncharted 4 sounds like the 60FPS trailer we got before, perhaps there was an extended cut that never made it in.Media Molecule's was partially right, at least in some respect., Media Molecule's title was partially correct (Entwined was that university project game that was released on the day), Ninja Theory's is semi-true in being a sorta Heavenly Sword 2 from what we know of Hellblade and how Heavenly Sword 2 was going to be written.

DualShockers has been pretty decent in recent times, learning from their past mistakes especially vetting more closely anything they post as rumour and their interview is pretty good, which of the mods can we discuss with in getting them unblocked?

Lol that list was your typical rumor bullshit list. All dream projects and no mention of anything low profile/boring. The closest they came guessing was still light years off.

"Media Molecule's was partially right"

No it wasn't. "Media Molecule’s new title will be a landmark title for Morpheus. 3D world building, beautiful, quirky visuals.Extremely creative and fun. Possibly related to the ”Entwined” trademark filed last week by SCE (not sure). Late 2015."

What does Entwined have to do with MM?

"Ninja Theory's is semi-true "

Yeah "semi true": Ninja Theory working on a PS4 exclusive – possible Heavenly Sword sequel which was shelved a number of years ago. Quite far into development.

Hellblade has nothing to do with HS nor is a PS4 exclusive nor was far into development.

then the ones they completely missed, lawl:

-Sony London AAA title, 3rd person

- WipEout PS4

-Kill Strain is Syphon Filter reboot

-God of War 4 trailer

-GT6 PS4 port, sold as GT7 prologue

-Quantic Dream title, showing depends on MS press conference

Entwined and Kill Strain both turned out to be digital games instead of hi profile AAA titles. Just throwing enough shit at the wall, see what sticks and become a certified insider, unfortunately for them they weren't as vague as the others or long enough term to claim plans can change behind the scenes.

I do agree they've gotten better, especially at covering Japanese news.

Krejlooc

Banned
finally fighting lan di is going to feel so fucking good (provided it isn't just a plain ass kicking from lan di to put ryo in his place)

It will be. They said long, long ago that

Ryo will eventually abandon his quest to defeat Lan Di

Danlord

"Media Molecule's was partially right"

No it wasn't. "Media Molecule’s new title will be a landmark title for Morpheus. 3D world building, beautiful, quirky visuals.Extremely creative and fun. Possibly related to the ”Entwined” trademark filed last week by SCE (not sure). Late 2015."

What does Entwined have to do with MM?

"Ninja Theory's is semi-true "

Yeah "semi true": Ninja Theory working on a PS4 exclusive – possible Heavenly Sword sequel which was shelved a number of years ago. Quite far into development.

Hellblade has nothing to do with HS nor is a PS4 exclusive nor was far into development.

Media Molecule's Dreams is pretty much the same description, we know it is 3D world building, beautiful and quirky and landmark title for Morpheus is exactly what is being speculated on the thread about it from before. The trademark is completely off-base, perhaps their interjection with the recent trademark at the time.

Ninja Theory's links to Heavenly Sword 2 with Hellblade are very apparent. The main character, Senua looks a lot like it's based off of Kai. The name itself is opposite of Heavenly(HELL) Sword (BLADE), the story follows similar path to how Heavenly Sword 2 was going to be written, where you're going through the underworld to find Nariko, so dealing with the dark themes there could be similar in design to how they are doing it for Hellblade. The voice-actor, Lydia Baksh whom did Kai's voice is in Hellblade. Hellblade is also a PS4 (console) exclusive, timed exclusive to PS4 first then PC. - There is some semblance to that rumour, but I think the fails outweigh the partially correct parts of the rumours.

I do think DualShockers need to be reconsidered for their banning, I do find it especially harsh considering other publications have been wrong on similar things before and published far more damaging/false/poor articles in recent times and are still allowed to be linked to.

Thanks for bringing this interview to my attention. Wouldn't have known about it otherwise, and I'm always hungry for more Yu Suzuki articles.

G: Personally, I feel that modern games lack a bit in romance, which is baffling considering how deeply rooted it is in other media like movies and anime. How important is romance going to be in Shenmue III?

YS: Yes, it will be an important topic in Shenmue III, and I will try to portray the differences in how men and women think in the game.

So does that mean there will actually be a female character whose advances won't go unnoticed for once?! Yay, Ryo might start thinking with his dick for once, just like your average 18 year old male.

Spaghetti

It will be. They said long, long ago that

Ryo will eventually abandon his quest to defeat Lan Di
yeah, but i didn't think that'd happen so soon. then again, maybe that's a result of condensing the story.

it's a good twist though. pretty much a perfect swerve, especially for those not expecting it.

So does that mean there will actually be a female character whose advances won't go unnoticed for once?! Yay, Ryo might start thinking with his dick for once, just like your average 18 year old male.
nah. yu talked about 'platonic love'. if you aint' martial arts, ryo don't give a shit.

(that's probably why he had the super hots for xiuying)

yeah, but i didn't think that'd happen so soon. then again, maybe that's a result of condensing the story.

it's a good twist though. pretty much a perfect swerve, especially for those not expecting it.

nah. yu talked about 'platonic love'. if you aint' martial arts, ryo don't give a shit.

I've been waiting since I was a teenager for over ten years man, they can't do this to me. I NEED to do it!

ajim

I had the hots for xiuying too. Such an underrated character in the Shenmue universe it's depressing.

Her whole back story with her and her bro losing his way is powerful. There's so much more they could do with that.

I guess you were right, but not exactly how you anticipated.

MCV - Shenmue 3 can't promise 60 fps but can promise 'cute' and 'sexy' girls

With a headline like that, you can anticipate how the author frames his writeup of the interview, including spending half of the article talking about how poor Japanese video games are at female representation.

Shadoken

With a headline like that, you can anticipate how the author frames his writeup of the interview, including spending half of the article talking about how poor Japanese video games are at female representation.

From that article

While games such as Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Tomodachi Life and Dead or Alive find themselves clashing with modern Western values, American and European developers such as Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft and NetherRealm have openly adopted a more balanced approach to gender representation and sexual orientation, no doubt spurred by the efforts of vocal critics such as Anita Sarkeesian.

Lmao ... Has this guy not heard of mobile games ? and those gazillion Game of War ads with Kate upton. There are still many Japanese games without over sexualized female characters , oh but he conveniently ignore them. Dude is just borderline racist.

Shadoken

From that article

While games such as Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Tomodachi Life and Dead or Alive find themselves clashing with modern Western values, American and European developers such as Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft and NetherRealm have openly adopted a more balanced approach to gender representation and sexual orientation, no doubt spurred by the efforts of vocal critics such as Anita Sarkeesian.

Lmao ... Has this guy not heard of mobile games ? and those gazillion Game of War ads with Kate upton. There are still many Japanese games without over sexualized female characters , oh but he conveniently ignore Japanese values disrespect women , Glorious Modern West treats them well thanks to valiant efforts of Anita. This should be the click bait headline for this article.

Top Bottom