• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

This friday I head on holiday for a week, going to take the family laptop and might not have internet access, however I will check out the 3d listing sheet on google and mark off a few to get done on holiday, i'll let you all know thursday.

Should be able to get a nice chunk of stuff done for you, our holidays involve sitting in a cottage all week with the odd trip to chedder gorge :p

Going to hop onto irc in a moment, same name as here.

Sill4

We're also not the most organized bunch, which makes it bit harder for people to help.

I think it took Behemoth three years to create Castle Crashers, and that's with tight communication.

I'd like to help with level design, but I don't have any experience at it or the ability to model 3D. I do enjoy paying attention to a lot of concepts in level design in what makes them work and what makes them boring.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The chapter structure post on the website just got updated with the new chapter setup.
If you haven't checked the GDD lately, I suggest you to read it to get on par.

Corto said:
I keep waiting for an opening to an helpful and jovial veterinary... :(
What do you mean?

Sill4 said:
We're also not the most organized bunch, which makes it bit harder for people to help.

I think it took Behemoth three years to create Castle Crashers, and that's with tight communication.
Honestly, what's frustrating is when people don't reply to PMs or e-mails :/

We have an IRC channel with people online 24/7, waves with assignments always up for grabs (and these will soon be replaced with a more functional web application), this thread, and lots of mass PMs and e-mails get sent whenever a team goes inactive.

Cow Mengde said:
I'd like to help with level design, but I don't have any experience at it or the ability to model 3D. I do enjoy paying attention to a lot of concepts in level design in what makes them work and what makes them boring.
Not being able to model in 3D is not really a problem: blocking out a concept in 3D is a quick way to convey a concept, but a map with descriptions and explanations can still do the job.
Do you think you could hop on IRC?

Not being able to model in 3D is not really a problem: blocking out a concept in 3D is a quick way to convey a concept, but a map with descriptions and explanations can still do the job.
Do you think you could hop on IRC?

I'll be very honest, I was thinking maybe assistant level designer or something, but if you guys really need someone, I THINK I can do the job. It doesn't hurt to give it a try. Think of it as a try before you buy sorta thing. Give me a chance and see if it'll work without turning away other applicants away.

A concept map with description can easily be done. I'll hope on IRC then.

Edit - Jocchan, I'm having some trouble with my IRC program. Would it be alright if I just PM a sample map and see if you think I'm up to it first? Do you have some specific details you'd like me to add? I can try and design something for the snow play test level we've been testing.

Edit 2 - Ok, I got in, but you were away. How about PMing me some instructions so I can give it a try? We'll see how it works out from there.

kamspy

When the demo is live, there will be a new thread right?

I really wanna see what you guys have been up to. Even if it's helping with the beta.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kamspy said:
When the demo is live, there will be a new thread right?

I really wanna see what you guys have been up to. Even if it's helping with the beta.
Yep. The build currently online isn't ready to be linked publicly, some months ago the link got posted on another forum and people were already judging it thinking it was the final game (or that it played anywhere near the final game).

Cow Mengde said:
I'll be very honest, I was thinking maybe assistant level designer or something, but if you guys really need someone, I THINK I can do the job. It doesn't hurt to give it a try. Think of it as a try before you buy sorta thing. Give me a chance and see if it'll work without turning away other applicants away.

A concept map with description can easily be done. I'll hope on IRC then.

Edit - Jocchan, I'm having some trouble with my IRC program. Would it be alright if I just PM a sample map and see if you think I'm up to it first? Do you have some specific details you'd like me to add? I can try and design something for the snow play test level we've been testing.

Edit 2 - Ok, I got in, but you were away. How about PMing me some instructions so I can give it a try? We'll see how it works out from there.
When you joined I was sleeping (damn time zones!), sending you a PM in a moment.

EDIT: I'm going to be rarely on IRC till Monday, if you need me please write in private or send me a PM here.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cow Mengde, your inbox is full (my answer was "Yep, with verticality I meant moving upwards on a hill :)" though).

cooljeanius said:
I started that article! Good to see people reading it.
And you did awesome :D
The page is a bit short though, it could use some more details (especially now that the website is starting to show a sizable amount of content). Anyone volunteering to expand it a bit?

Sill4

Cow Mengde said:
Ok, I got it. The biggest challenge right now is expressing height and elevation in a 2d top down view. I think I have some ideas.
You can use varied shades of grey to differentiate elevation.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jocchan said:
Cow Mengde, your inbox is full (my answer was "Yep, with verticality I meant moving upwards on a hill :)" though).

And you did awesome :D
The page is a bit short though, it could use some more details (especially now that the website is starting to show a sizable amount of content). Anyone volunteering to expand it a bit?

I can write some stuff up when I have some spare time.

Belfast

Sill4 said:
You can use varied shades of grey to differentiate elevation.

Yeah, I'm currently doing level design for a full-3D project, and this is probably your best option. Use different shades to indicate different elevations, a bit like a topographical map.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The website now has a banner linking the Join Us page.
We need contributions, especially from animators, or else the game won't finish itself.

On a brighter note, works on the mission structure have been going smoothly. The build now has a completely working one, thanks to Nicjac :)

John

Jocchan said:
New post on the website explaining in detail the mission structure: http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro2/site/?p=1105

This and the chapter structure post should explain quite extensively the type of gameplay we're trying to achieve.
Does this mean that there'll be significant downtime, where the player isn't constantly engaged in combat? If so I'll know to work on some ambient or lounge music for the chill segments.

PS please have an elevator somewhere in the game

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
IMPORTANT
The level/mission structure in Dudebro has been tweaked. Check this post for more details.

howtojoin.png

If you want to help:
1. Follow this FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
2. PM Danthrax your e-mail to be added to the staff list, Dropbox and the Google Waves
3. Contact your team lead to get assignments
4. Make sure you keep following the waves, this thread, and read the GDD
5. Remember that no one will PM you asking to do X or Y (we're too many), if you need assignments/feedback/direction/info/a beer/whatever just PM your lead
6. Use the IRC channel (more details below) to stay in touch with the team!!!
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

Useful links:
Sign-up FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
Dudebro Game Design Document: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_8dv7w2pfm
Dudebro official website: http://www.dudebro2.com
Dudebro Wiki: http://dudebro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
CafePress Store: http://www.cafepress.com/dudebro2

And CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES because I or another Dudebro volunteer may have PMed you about something important!

IRC details:
server: irc.gamecubecafe.com
channel: #dudebro

thank you for your attention and have a fantastic day!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hello there!
yJpZm.png

John said:
Does this mean that there'll be significant downtime, where the player isn't constantly engaged in combat? If so I'll know to work on some ambient or lounge music for the chill segments.
Yes, some sections, both in and outside missions, have few or no enemies at all.
Months ago, I discussed with Earthstrike and we agreed about using different music for these instances.
One example was Anso's song: it's quiet and tense, perfectly suitable for exploration parts like the facility in chapter 1, and could have featured added (heavy) guitars for the shootouts.

John said:
PS please have an elevator somewhere in the game
There might be one in chapter 3.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yay. For some reason I was actually thinking about this game while trying to get to sleep last night. I hadn't seen anything in a while and was hoping that it wasn't Duke Nukem'd.

I wish I could help but I have no skills in the creative arts or programing. I'm a fan though, and I wish you guys the best.

Jocchan said:
There might be one in chapter 3.

Can we have one in chapter 2? Been thinking about how to make it so that the player can skip the maze a second time and I think an elevator might do the trick. Not the fancy kind, just a simple lift.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RbBrdMan said:
Yay. For some reason I was actually thinking about this game while trying to get to sleep last night. I hadn't seen anything in a while and was hoping that it wasn't Duke Nukem'd.

I wish I could help but I have no skills in the creative arts or programing. I'm a fan though, and I wish you guys the best.

Thanks for the kind wishes. =) No, it hasn't been Duke Nukem'd, (though does that mean being gloriously resurrected from the dead, now? hmm) but work has been slow in the past month or so. We definitely need more help in the modeling/rigging/texturing departments.

Cow Mengde said:
Can we have one in chapter 2? Been thinking about how to make it so that the player can skip the maze a second time and I think an elevator might do the trick. Not the fancy kind, just a simple lift.

But the maze is, like, the entire level in chapter 2 :lol If you skip it with an elevator, you may as well just skip ahead to chapter 3!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Danthrax said:
But the maze is, like, the entire level in chapter 2 :lol If you skip it with an elevator, you may as well just skip ahead to chapter 3!
No, it's not. Actually, it's not *that* big.
The maps in Dudebro are designed to reduce backtracking to a minimum.
Once the player goes past a certain point, having him redo the whole level in reverse would be kinda silly: that's where gates and, eventually, lifts come into play.

RbBrdMan said:

Thanks man, much appreciated. And, as Dan said, it hasn't been Duke Nukem'd.
We had, though, a large number of people dropping out, and this is slowing everything down HEAVILY.

Cow Mengde said:
It depends on how well it's integrated with the rest. I'd need a more detailed description, possibly a quick sketch (maybe via PM).

cntr

Banned
Cow Mengde said:

Remove some barriers so that you can walk around the maze?

so1337

Jocchan said:
Brain Seeker model, courtesy of digitalchef:
http://imgur.com/UrC44.jpg[a/IMG][/QUOTE]
Damn, it was the right decision to rework the brain seekers design. That thing is killer.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
so1337 said:
Damn, it was the right decision to rework the brain seekers design. That thing is killer.
I agree, Sill4's design is much better than the previous one :)

so1337

Graveyard time! Just wanted to show that I AM making progress. :p

Original sketch in black and white (an ink sketch if you will):

graveyard2.jpg

Upon consultation with Jocchan and some coloring and shading:

graveyard.jpg

Almost there!

I should have something for the 2nd level in a few days. Should I incorporate this sketch into the design? I was actually think about doing a template for the layout first, and then draw each individual area magnified to show what I was going for in terms of level design.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cow Mengde said:
I should have something for the 2nd level in a few days. Should I incorporate this sketch into the design? I was actually think about doing a template for the layout first, and then draw each individual area magnified to show what I was going for in terms of level design.
Not necessarily, you can just put a rectangle representing the graveyard.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
In the graveyard artwork you can see the (pretty big spoilarz)
sliding loculi, opening and closing parts of the map and key parts of the Brahnson boss fight

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
John said:
what's a loculi? looks fuckin spot on
These:
VijEV.jpg

Walls with many gravestones (the coffins are behind them instead of being buried underground).
We have some switches to slide them

Top Bottom