• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem’ Movie in the Works from ‘Cobra Kai’ Creators

bitbydeath

It’s time to kick-ass and chew bubblegum, and I’m all out of gum.

Duke Nukem, the 1990s video game that helped popularize the first-person shooter genre, is getting the feature film treatment.
Legendary Entertainment, the company behind Dune and the Godzilla monster movie series, has picked up the movie rights from Gearbox, with Cobra Kai creators Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg on board to produce.
Legendary will also produce, as will Jean Julien Baronnet (Assassin’s Creed) of Marla Studios, which specializes on video game adaptations. Heald, Hurtwitz and Schlossberg are producing via their banner, Counterbalance Entertainment.
A search for a writer to tackle the material is underway. And while no director is on board, the door is open for one of the Counterbalance team to potentially sit behind the camera.
Gearbox had a Nukem project in development at Paramount with John Cena attached to star over four years ago, but that stalled out.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/duke-nukem-movie-1235162997/

bitbydeath

My vote goes to Alan Ritchson as Duke.

bcf22afa2ca9e1db5057705782cee4f2.gif

Wildebeest

I'm nodding. Makes sense. But the number of movies "in the works" which never go anywhere doesn't give this good odds.

Fbh

They're going to have to take a Demolition Man/Austin Powers approach to this.

Yeah I think the only approach that could work in modern times is doing something like Peacemaker.
So you can have Duke be his usual self but it's part of the joke (and there's a diverse side cast that points out how he is wrong).

Apocryphon

Peacemaker sold me on Cena. Maybe he'd still be interested in this. Not sure about the Kobra Kai creaters involvement though. Why would we want them attached?

El Muerto

Willing to bet the movie is going to start out with Duke finding out he was cancelled due to his behaviour in the past games. Then he has to save the world to redeem himself. The movie is probably going to be satire about the old games rather than more of what Duke Nukem was about.

JonSnowball

I wonder how badly they'll fuck this up. It's not difficult - Duke is basically an amalgam of 70s - 90s action heroes, a one-liner spewing "ultimate alien ass-kicker" but Gearbox already did their best to turn him into an outrageous smug douchebag over the last decade, and meme humor rules all now....so they'll just have him be one gigantic joke, or something worse.

Preferably the film won't end up going into production.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not sure Duke can be made nowadays, at least not in a way which is faithful to his depiction in the games.

Hes just a tongue-in-cheek badass macho man who rescues babes and btfo’s aliens. In the Gearbox version of DNF he is also a prick and overall asshole cunt. I fear we will get the Gearbox depiction if the movie gets made (it wont lol)

Kikorin

Is almost impossible to do a faithful transposition of what Duke Nukem was today, but I've to say that I enjoyed Kobra Kai a lot and it was surprisingly fun, with characters that made lot of sense for a sequel to an 80s classic. Not the usually terrible Netflix roster, but well written characters all around.

Wohc

Banned
Duke Nukem nowadys? Duke opening doors for women and saying "Good day, ma'am" instead of calling them "chick" and slapping their asses? But even that would offend certain people, because it implies that women are weak and need men to open doors.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

This quote actually came from the movie They Live that duke nukem inspired from.

A movie like this but with someone built like Arnold Schwarzenegger would be an acceptable adaptation.

Duke Nukem is more like Bruce Willis in Die Hard than Arnie in anything. That you would turn your nose up at someone like Roddy Piper playing him is hilarious. I don't know what sort of shitty pretext a modern movie would need to justify that sort of OTT violence for a "relatable wisecracker". It's one of those films where someone messes around with a man's kids or dogs, isn't it? John Wick. Funny thing is Duke Nukem is more open-hearted since he would fly off the handle if any hot women were in danger.

kyussman

How the fuck does that work in 2022,lol......I guess it doesn't and they'll just make some weird alternate version of the character that won't offend anyone.

kyussman

It WOULD work.

They just won't let it happen.
Yea,there would be an audience for a crazy over the top character like him......but in 2022 it wouldn't be allowed.Which begs the question what the hell would this be if it got made,lol.

Deerock71

If Johnny Depp can beat Amber Heard in a court with a jury, then this movie might just be the next Citizen Kane.

Side note (and 100% true), I once shook Howie Long's hand and asked him if anyone in Hollywood ever wanted him to play Duke Nukem. He actually said yes and asked me what that was. I got to chat it up with Howie Long about Duke Nukem. He'd STILL be a great fit.

nkarafo

A movie about a hyper masculine, straight white male protagonist?

Come on, we all know how it's going to end up.

Top Bottom