• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever DEMO thread - Instructions and impressions here

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
abracadaver said:
it worked in Prey as well. seems like he is pretty forgetful

seems like he didn't give a fuck.

2 weapon limits is a game breaker. I'll wait for mods, if none is made, I won't buy the game.

Sethos

Banned
Multiple D-pad presses to cycle through a heap of weapons does sound hard and very counter-intuitive. Same with a radial menu or even a longer quick cycle of the weapons.

/s

subversus

Sethos said:
Same with a radial menu or even a longer quick cycle of the weapons.

/s

yes, because it was really hard and counterintuitive in Resistance 1!!

eXistor

Sethos said:
Multiple D-pad presses to cycle through a heap of weapons does sound hard and very counter-intuitive. Same with a radial menu or even a longer quick cycle of the weapons.

/s
It worked for Serious Sam, why not here?

I'm still very much looking forward to the game, but the 2 weapon limit is a baffling design-choice.

Zizbuka

Banned
Mudkips said:
They claim they can only reverse the entire transaction (which is bullshit - it's simple and easy to reverse only a line item in a credit transaction).

They claim I can do this if I rebuy the other game in my transaction now (as a gift, to my email address, so I can reclaim it after they reverse the entire transaction).

But they can't do that because in my case the game was Frozen Synapse, which came with a gift code to give to a friend, which is already in use.

Sorry, but that's what you get for pre-ordering a game before knowing if it's good.

Sethos said:

/s
But that would involve content added to the game. Effort like interface graphics and shit. Can't have that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ghst said:
just incase anyone thought there might be some kind of legitimate design theory behind the two weapon limit, rather than simply bowing to the crippling limitations of goddawful twiddlestick controllers:

it's true, the two-weapon limit is an STD. rubber up, guys.
I hate this "modern standards" bullshit. Like it's better for a game to give you less choice at all times.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Mudkips said:
They claim they can only reverse the entire transaction (which is bullshit - it's simple and easy to reverse only a line item in a credit transaction).

They claim I can do this if I rebuy the other game in my transaction now (as a gift, to my email address, so I can reclaim it after they reverse the entire transaction).

But they can't do that because in my case the game was Frozen Synapse, which came with a gift code to give to a friend, which is already in use.
Why not just do that, have them remove the gifted copy from the other account as well, and then re-send the new gift code to your friend afterwards?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Even Duke 3D on PS1 allowed you to switch between all weapons, and that port was designed to be played with the D-pad. Broussard, your explanation is weaksauce.

And good God do the console versions look terribad. Glad I opted for the superior master race PC version.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
There's a huge visual difference between 'FSAA' and 'FXAA', at least when running at 1900x1200.

But FXAA is a huge hit on performance.

I'm running the game @ 60FPS on an i5 with SLI'd 470GTX cards.

The game doesn't look so hot -- and I think the worst part about it was shooting down that space ship towards the end of the demo, because the rockets don't seem to impact the ship whatsoever. They just kind of hit the ship, and a generic explosion occurs.

I think the bottom line is that the game doesn't look as good as Half Life 2, which is a problem. In some cases, it has better textures and lighting, but overall I think the Source Engine would have been a better choice for DNF.

Still, I don't think this demo is indicative of the extra work that GearBox put into this game in the past two years.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Alien Bob said:
Come guys, at least be fair, it looks a whole lot better than the first game.

The original Duke Nukem is 20 years old though

duke.jpg

Badabing said:
There's a huge visual difference between 'FSAA' and 'FXAA', at least when running at 1900x1200.

But FXAA is a huge hit on performance.

I'm running the game @ 60FPS on an i5 with SLI'd 470GTX cards.

The game doesn't look so hot -- I think the worst part about it was shooting down that space ship.

I think the bottom line is that the game doesn't look as good as Half Life 2, which is a problem.

Still, I don't think this demo is indicative of the extra work that GearBox put into this game in the past two years.

That was so hilariously bad, the ship just slides into position on the second to last shot and then just disappears and the wing appears on the ground.

NBtoaster

ghst said:
just incase anyone thought there might be some kind of legitimate design theory behind the two weapon limit, rather than simply bowing to the crippling limitations of goddawful twiddlestick controllers:

it's true, the two-weapon limit is an STD. rubber up, guys.

It's not controller limitation. It's incompetence.

subversus

The tragedy of this game is that it's just a fun game which should have been released in 1997. And then in 1999-2000. Nothing here justifies 12-year cycle. No groundbreaking game mechanics, no advanced AI, no story. It's a just a gag game.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
NBtoaster said:
It's not controller limitation. It's incompetence.

It's not incompetence, it's the irrational need to stuff any newly discovered mechanics into your game, which is why DNF took so long to finish in the first place.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe Broussard is talking about yielding to modern sensibilities after playing this demo. Maybe he mentions Halo 1 as modern because this game and that game should have come out at the same time.

Y2Kev said:
I can't believe Broussard is talking about yielding to modern sensibilities after playing this demo. Maybe he mentions Halo 1 as modern because this game and that game should have come out at the same time.
Haha snap.

For me it's the ego shield that really rankles. Just unnecessary.

Sciz

Broussard has been the source of all of this game's troubles up to this point. It doesn't come as a surprise that the weapon limit is his fault and that he also has no good explanation for it other than riding trends.

If anyone ever puts him in charge of anything ever again, they deserve the pain and trouble that'll follow.

FoeHammer

I just finished the demo.

The complaints here are definitely valid, but for some reason I had a lot of fun playing it. I'll get it at some point just because I can't not imagine having this one in my collection. I hope it does well enough so that Gearbox can make another one without all the bullshit drama that has haunted Forever.

hlhbk

If you belong to the first access club is there anyway to get the demo for multiple platforms (I have it on PC and want to download on 360)?

hlhbk said:
If you belong to the first access club is there anyway to get the demo for multiple platforms (I have it on PC and want to download on 360)?
No I'm pretty sure it's one platform per First Access Club account.

RyL

Banned
for all you guys saying it was 3D Realms decision to do the 2 weapons slot thing and gearbox couldn't change it without balancing out the entire game all over again, guess what, (I think) you are wrong

I just rewatched the older footage (2007 - 2009) and the videos which got leaked after 3D Realms went bankrupt/DNF was canceled

they cleary indicate that Duke could carry as many weapons as he wants

sure you could argue that alpha/beta versions have these allweapon codes for testing reasons but you can actually see the pull-down weapons menu

proof (1:56)

Bonus: also, the lighting has changed completely

MNC

RyL said:
for all you guys saying it was 3D Realms decision to do the 2 weapons slot thing and gearbox couldn't change it without balancing out the entire game all over again, guess what, (I think) you are wrong

I just rewatched the older footage (2007 - 2009) and the videos which got leaked after 3D Realms went bankrupt/DNF was canceled

they cleary indicate that Duke could carry as many weapons as he wants

sure you could argue that alpha/beta versions have these allweapon codes for testing reasons but you can actually see the pull-down weapons menu

proof (1:56)
Why do the animations look better in that build:|

Specifically the stomping shrunk enemies.

Played the 360 demo, got really bored with it. I dunno maybe I was expecting more of an updated Duke Nukem game? If I ever get it, it'll be on the PC and on sale.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sciz said:
Broussard has been the source of all of this game's troubles up to this point. It doesn't come as a surprise that the weapon limit is his fault and that he also has no good explanation for it other than riding trends.

If anyone ever puts him in charge of anything ever again, they deserve the pain and trouble that'll follow.

Aside from the Weapons limit, the demo showed old FPS structures and design, like the first person shooters from 2001 to 2005,the entire demo was boring, the lack of Duke Nukem feel also is what bugs me the most, it not because it's not fast and crazy and nothing like Duke Nukem 3D, even Time to Kill and Zero Hours got that feel right, here nothing in it tells me it's a Duke game.

The demo shows that the old 3D realms guys got absolutely no idea how to make a good modern Duke first person game and tried to copy some other games, with many years of delays it ended as a huge mess.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
subversus said:
Broussard stated on Shacknews after DNF Gearbox rereveal that it was 3D Realms decision.
Then it was a late decision. And a bad one.

Anyone else think the UI is kind of a mess? Like plain fonts, not very smooth.

RyL

Banned
subversus said:
Broussard stated on Shacknews after DNF Gearbox rereveal that it was 3D Realms decision.

Is there a link ?! I always back up my statements with links, makes them more trustworthy =P

and like Y2Kev said, If he really said so ... what a stupid and especially late decision, the video is from 2009, the last year/months where the game was under development by 3D Realms

sorry but somehow this doesn't make sense

DryvBy

I loved it. Felt so old school that it made me pee myself.

I played on the PS3, and it worked well. My plans are to buy this on PS3 for the story, and buy it later on Amazon for multiplayer. My wife will want to watch the king shoot pig cops.

**Edit** I only played up until I killed the football field boss. So I played for 5 minutes. Not because I was bored, but because I wanted to wait until I got the final build. But now I'm reading about two weapon limits. W T F? Duke should be able to carry everything. Blah... Only thing I felt needed to be changed from the parts I played was the hard needs to be frustratingly hard, like old shooters.

subversus

RyL said:
Is there a link ?! I always back up my statements with links, makes them more trustworthy =P

and like Y2Kev said, If he really said so ... what a stupid and especially late decision, the video is from 2009, the last year/months where the game was under development by 3D Realms

sorry but somehow this doesn't make sense

I'd provide you with a link but I have to dig comments to all news posts about Duke from 2010. and that's pretty painful with their redesign.

subversus

I found it

By: GeorgeB3DR x
Yeah, blame us for it if you want. It may change in the future and I don't know what will happen with it, but it was us. I stand by it too, as you cannot discount designing games for a modern world and part of that world is consoles where the bulk of the sales can be. And on those consoles you have a controller. We tried for a long time to support lots of guns but we simply could not find a nice way to map it to a controller, despite trying 4-5 designs. We gave it enough time and decided to stop swimming against the current and adopt what was basically the "standard".

It's not 1996 anymore.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/65442/duke-nukem-forever-hands-on

GrayFoxPL

DryvBy2 said:
I loved it. Felt so old school that it made me pee myself.

I played on the PS3, and it worked well. My plans are to buy this on PS3 for the story, and buy it later on Amazon for multiplayer. My wife will want to watch the king shoot pig cops.

**Edit** I only played up until I killed the football field boss. So I played for 5 minutes. Not because I was bored, but because I wanted to wait until I got the final build. But now I'm reading about two weapon limits. W T F? Duke should be able to carry everything. Blah... Only thing I felt needed to be changed from the parts I played was the hard needs to be frustratingly hard, like old shooters.

Lol, play the "real" level then. You'll puke.

Teknoman

subversus said:

What?

Just assign it to one of the should triggers or d-pad and scroll left or right with them. Its not that hard to think of a comfortable design for controllers. Hell even the Doom, Duke and Quake 64 ports were fine in that aspect. Turok 1 & 2, Timesplitters series (if I remember correctly).

How did Serious Sam do this on consoles?

Counting the d-pad and analog triggers on PS3 & 360 controllers, you've got 14 buttons to assign commands to.

Top Bottom