• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

TaroYamada

So. . . I think this is the relevant thread, didn't see any newer one.

I'm trying to do the Insane run for the Platinum, but I CANNOT get through the gdamn turret section on 'Crash Course.' This is nuts. I sort of liked the game up until this point.

I thought the Hive would be hell on Insanity since I had trouble there before on 'Hard', but I breezed through it. This turret section has turned into a brick wall for me, and I can't even remember it from my last run.

Any tips? It seems pretty straight forward, so I' not too sure what can be done differently. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Did you get past it? >.> I just got this game free on Amazon, and I got a copy for my friend, initially I thought it was crap but now it's pretty ok. Hoping it just gets better from where I am now (headed for the Duke Dome or whatever).

So, I just finished this game... And I feel miserable.

Granted, the game played well enough and all, but it was just a miserable experience. It was so utterly bland and devoid of anything enjoyable that all of the references it made to other games and media kept making me want to quit playing and spend time with them instead.

I really wonder how much of this was Gearbox's work versus finishing the original vision, but man. I think I only paid like $2.50 for this on a steam sale, and I'm glad I did. It just wasn't fun for me at all. I even set everything to the easiest format possible in hopes of combating all of the negative impressions I had heard of the game. Can't say it really helped.

There is also a quite clear difference in quality between the game's campaign and the DLC "the doctor who cloned me". The DLC pretty much show what state DNF probably was in when the project was closed and transferred to the studio that finished the campaign. Gearbox is apparently more of a facilitator in all this, at least according to the timeline giving inside the game.

At any rate, the DLC is pretty much filled with empty environments and really no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Except maybe for it being a "post campaign" thing in case you happen to be wondering what happens next (not really, I would guess, but hey, it's there).
Even the "hedonist, not misogynist" achievement attempt at gaining some goodwill is lost when you see what the end of the DLC campaign is.

you jump your vehicle into the Queens' vagina and destroy her ovaries. Yeaaaah, I don't wanna know what 3D Realms was thinking with all this.

The timeline, screenshots and videos also show that the game has basically been conceptually complete since 2003. The environments were there, certain levels are clearly visible (the dam, for instance) and the way the game and DLC are organized suggests that there was a A-to-Z plan at some point. How exactly 3D Realms did not manage to complete the game themselves is a question that will most likely never be answered in full.

Should any journalist take it upon himself to do a full study on it, it might be the most revealing study of the inner workings of the gamesindustry to date. But I doubt 2K games will allow that to happen.

TaroYamada

I really enjoyed the game, probably my favorite FPS since Halo 2. Is there a consensus on the best difficulty? I beat it on normal but replayed some parts on hard and it felt even better. I hear insane is awful though.

What's the verdict?

At any rate, the DLC is pretty much filled with empty environments and really no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Except maybe for it being a "post campaign" thing in case you happen to be wondering what happens next (not really, I would guess, but hey, it's there).

I heard good things? Heard it was even better than the main campaign. What was in the empty environments? I assume platforming? I'll probably still get it on Steam whenever it hits the $1 range. Never purchased DLC before due to a moral opposition to it, but since I got DNF for free from Amazon I'll make an exception.

Top Bottom