• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

Jigolo

? It's not even 70mm

They replaced the projector with IMAX laser which still shows the full aspect ratio but with increased brightness and contrast. They still got the 70mm IMAX projector in storage but didn't put it out for Dunkirk, unfortunately. It's like digital 70mm IMAX but with dual 4k projectors instead of film stock

Ashhong

It's a very common criticism of Nolan's films. (Granted, one that I generally don't agree with)

That there's no emotional core? I can't even begin to understand that.

They replaced the projector with IMAX laser which still shows the full aspect ratio but with increased brightness and contrast. They still got the 70mm IMAX projector in storage but didn't put it out for Dunkirk, unfortunately. It's like digital 70mm IMAX but with dual 4k projectors instead of film stock

But 70mm is like 18k isnt it?

It would be even healthier is the industry celebrated the best film of the year, instead of the best film campaign of the year. Honestly, these films can and are celebrated already on release. They don't need to be recognised by the televised political song and dance that is the Academy.

Can't say I disagree, but I think that the downfall of the oscars as they are nowadays less and less relevant each year is not good. Not that the award was ever a bastion of honesty, but it was a huge party and made people care. It was fun, it was like watching the fireworks at new year's eve. Now it's just a sad show that doesn't fly with cinema snobs or the regular joe. It truly became the grammys for movies.

Amazing reviews I can't wait to watch it with some of my friends. I love Nolan's work so I was going to watch it anyway but this makes me even more excited.

Ashhong

Can't say I disagree, but I think that the downfall of the oscars as they are nowadays less and less relevant each year is not good. Not that the award was ever a bastion of honesty, but it was a huge party and made people care. It was fun, it was like watching the fireworks at new year's eve. Now it's just a sad show that doesn't fly with cinema snobs or the regular joe. It truly became the grammys for movies.

I feel like the Oscars fly fine. It's just the vocal minority that complain about it, like GAF.

I feel like the Oscars fly fine. It's just the vocal minority that complain about it, like GAF.

I don't think so man, it has been in a downwards trend in terms of viewership for a time (except for 2016 and that had Chris Rock and some controversy so I really think a lot of people tuned in just to see what would happen lol). Besides, it has been since No Country for Old Men or something like that since it awarded the commonly accepted best movie (or so) with the main award.

zsynqx

After our screening, there was a group of teen girls huddled outside the AMC Lincoln Square on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, asking anyone who had just seen Dunkirk about Harry Styles’ performance – and, more specifically if Mr. Styles’ character perished or not. I am immensely curious what this group will think of Dunkirk because it’s not really an actor-driven film. Even though the performances are all great (including Mr. Styles’), we barely get to know any of these people. Styles shows up and is absolutely terrified for his life, like pretty much everyone one else in this movie. But this certainly isn’t a “Harry Styles movie” or a “Tom Hardy movie.” Instead, it’s an experience. And it’s a theatrical experience unlike pretty much anything I’ve seen before. It’s non-stop intensity that will both exhaust a viewer and make one grateful that we didn’t actually have to live through that hell.

I too am curious about this

I too am curious about this
Funny thing.

Keeping an eye out every now and then for Dunkirk news made me realize just how popular Harry Styles was.

I knew who one direction was, but never knew any of those guys names. I didn't knew people loved them so much lol

Funny thing.

Keeping an eye out every now and then for Dunkirk news made me realize just how popular Harry Styles was.

I knew who one direction was, but never knew any of those guys names. I didn't knew people loved them so much lol

I figure Styles will have a 2% affect on the films box office though. People don't go to see films for names anymore anyway. Plus musicians have a poor track record when it comes to actual box office success, and acting. Thankfully this isn't the case, but Styles is only a supporting character in this film anyway.

Prompto

Banned
I figure Styles will have a 2% affect on the films box office though. People don't go to see films for names anymore anyway. Plus musicians have a poor track record when it comes to actual box office success, and acting. Thankfully this isn't the case, but Styles is only a supporting character in this film anyway.
Yeah. Rihanna is a lot more popular than Styles but I doubt she's going to help Valerian much at all also.

Is IMAX Xenon worth it?
Compared to what? A regular theater at the same distance? What's the price difference between the two?

We can't make that valuation for you. You have to weigh time, money, and your fear of missing out when making the choice of where to go. If you have the time and the rdon't sources to see it in IMAX (especially 70mm), then do it. If you don't, find what works best for you.

I've said it a few times already but I'm spoiled to have four IMAX theaters within 30 minutes of me (two within 15 minutes, one 30 minutes that is 70mm). I was always going to see it in IMAX. But if I had to drive an hour or more, with my family and busy schedule to think consider, I'd probably just go see it at the local theater that has nice comfy chairs.

Just under double the price.
I've seen all three Batman movies plus Inception and Interstellar in IMAX. Nolan will give you your IMAX money's worth, in my opinion. But I'm a huge Nolan fan so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I mean, you could go see it locally at a matinee to save money and if you love it, shell out the big bucks and see it at the IMAX. Don't know your fiscal situation so if money is tight be responsible and see it at a small theater. Don't worry so much about missing out, unless it is REALLY important to you that you see things the best way you can. Which, if that was he case, you'd already know you should do IMAX!

DMczaf

Just found out the 70MM IMAX theater here in Vegas started selling tickets this morning.

I thought they weren't screening it!

I ain't doing LieMAX, Guzim!

tumblr_o9ppsxNYeo1rrkahjo3_540.gif

tumblr_o9ppsxNYeo1rrkahjo4_540.gif

A slimmed down war movie where the characters dont huddle together talking about 'home' that adds 45 minutes and 'emotion' may lead to some rotten reviews, but it sounds awesome to me.

Still can't download my free song lol.

Not a big deal since I found that track just okay (probably is better in context). But I want my free stuff dammit!

Draper

Guess I'll just do reserved seating at cinemark unless you guys can point me to a better theater in the Fort Collins area?

Top Bottom