• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk - Review thread

EGM1966

Even stronger reviews than I expected: and the seven minute sequence I saw convinced me this was going to review well.

Going dark now until I see it: truckers booked and waiting.

Draper

Happens every Nolan movie. Even TDKR.

I'm really hoping for a Nolan return to form, but I'm glad I'm going in Thursday night with tempered expectations. Haven't been surprised by Nolan since TDK and haven't outright loved one of his films since The Prestige.

At the least, he usually makes something entertaining and worth going to the movies for. Outside of TDKR, a Nolan joint is always worth the price of admission.

Can I get your link to the review of TDKR?

Raptor

Fury Road and Thin Red Line comparisons. Whewwww. That fool needs to stop. He's baiting me with hype overload by mentioning that

Something has to be wrong somewhere, TRL it aint nothing like the start of SPR at all, TRL is slow, it almost crawls at times, and that SPR first minutes were relentless and this movie is suposed to be like that but the whole movie I read up there.

makes no sense.

Something has to be wrong somewhere, TRL it aint nothing like the start of SPR at all, TRL is slow, it almost crawls at times, and that SPR first minutes were relentless and this movie is suposed to be like that but the whole movie I read up there.

makes no sense.

Yeah it really doesn't. That was really meditative in a way Nolan has never been.

But then maybe he's thinking of the journey to the line scene.

makes no sense.
I dont think he was comparing the pacing of the two movies

Randam

Is it time to start shitting on the reviews that don't support our hype yet? I found this one negative review on Reddit, posting a screen grab because it does not deserve clicks.

http://imgur.com/a/rdpk6

Essentially his big complaints are that there isn't enough humor (in a war movie) and there aren't enough women (in a movie based on a group of people that did not have women).
Dude, come on..

The entire second page states his (4) complains and what you mentioned is the shortest.
Not his biggest at all.

Raptor

Yeah it really doesn't. That was really meditative in a way Nolan has never been.

But then maybe he's thinking of the journey to the line scene.

Journey to the Line type OST with fury road pacing?

Nolan wants me to orgasm all over the damn place I see.

:p

DMczaf

You'll always be a part of Nolan-GAF!

He can be part of Nolan-GAF Wolfpac

Nolan-GAF Black and White will always be us, Guzim...til the end

tumblr_omin93byoW1udl48so1_500.gif

He can be part of Nolan-GAF Wolfpac

Nolan-GAF Black and White will always be us, Guzim...til the end

tumblr_omin93byoW1udl48so1_500.gif
I always wanted to be part of the Nolan GAF crew. :(

Anyway everyone who can see IMAX 70mm absolutely should, I still love TDKR and Interstellar, and I'm probably going to cry on Thursday night after I see this. ;_;

overcast

I'll hold off until I see it before I make those predictions.
Honestly, this stuff doesn't really come down to our opinions on a site. Clearly this movie has award prestige just based off the premise alone, on top of that the talent on this thing carries award hype.

On top of all of that it seems to have delivered quite a bit to many critics. This thing is getting nominations.

Dude, come on..

The entire second page states his (4) complains and what you mentioned is the shortest.
Not his biggest at all.

I guess "big" was the wrong word, but it is no less ridiculous. Among his other complaints were that there isn't enough dialogue/story and it isn't chronological as if that isn't kind of the idea

I guess "big" was the wrong word, but it is no less ridiculous. Among his other complaints were that there isn't enough dialogue/story and it isn't chronological as if that isn't kind of the idea
Actually he said the better approach is chronological, which kind of dismisses all context and reasoning for why one would just crosscutting and interweaved plots rather than chronological, and the only reason why Nolan uses a nonlinear approach is personality/ideological

How comparable is laser IMAX to 70mm IMAX? I know the rez is like 12k or 15k or something crazy like that, just curious how it looks in a real life scenario

Oohhh this is making the prospect of driving 270km to a 70mm IMAX less intimidating.

Finally, a 70mm IMAX film that's not releasing in the winter, when highways are dangerous and icy as fuck.
No way am I seeing this on just a digital projector.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm in for IMAX this weekend. The reviews lived up to prerelease impressions.

TDKR is still amazing.

WB: "so Nolan.....wanna make another comic book Film?"

I'm always wondering if WB has been bugging Nolan about that.

WB knows to keep quiet and let the man do whatever he wants.

Saw Interstellar in IMAX and absolutely loved it. But I will admit, it's one of those "one-watch-is-enough" movies.

I can only go to the theaters on Sunday, so schedule-wise it's gonna be a tight fit between this, Game of Thrones, and WWE Battleground.

rekameohs

Banned
Dunkirk gonna win Oscar's for Sound design/editing based on those trailers alone. Shit was crazy when I saw those in an IMAX theater.
Nolan movies have always been weak in that regard, despite some amazing visuals. If it's really a coming to form, boy am I ready.

Top Bottom