• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duolingo GAF, wanna be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Can you add me to the OP. Slowly trying to learn German, and some friendly competition could help push me to learn faster.

Granadier - Gattsby (German)

Fucking finally

1NEWie3.png

DrSlek

I'll probably end up taking over the thread haha.

I'm loving French and Duolingo is a fantastic platform to learn, it's not perfect and it's very difficult to get speaking practice with it, so as it stands after about 3 months is that I'm so much better at reading French than I am writing or speaking it.

I'm hoping though that once I have all the rules down pat and I have a decent vocabulary getting the speaking and writing parts down pat will be a hell of a lot easier.

French phonetics are a bit difficult as well for English speakers, you guys keep the stress levels completely constant throughout sentences and since English is based off stress it sometimes sounds like French people are mumbling.

I too am learning French, fellow Ausbro. Got to around level 8 on my first account, but restarted just recently when I got my Nexus 5. Currently on level 4.
Having the phone app makes it much easier for me. Easier to user the microphone and such.

Watching shows like Wakfu, The Treasures of Kerub and Lascars really help a lot with being able to understand proper conversation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7amBOfCtjIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQDM-zMoLs

Arksy

I too am learning French, fellow Ausbro. Got to around level 8 on my first account, but restarted just recently when I got my Nexus 5. Currently on level 4.
Having the phone app makes it much easier for me. Easier to user the microphone and such.

Watching shows like Wakfu, The Treasures of Kerub and Lascars really help a lot with being able to understand proper conversation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7amBOfCtjIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEQDM-zMoLs

What's your duolingo handle? I'll add you. Also I'll check those shows out. I also have to check out Capretz's French in Action at some point.

French prepositions make me cry.

jerry1594

Maybe I'll give this a try again. Learning french, but not really, so I got bored and deleted it.
Also, anybody use HelloTalk? It's pretty useful imo, and they've sent me messages that they want more anglophones

Joining the party. You guys need to be assholes to me so that I actually force myself to learn French again. I took 4 years of it in HS, but don't remember much outside of the basics now. I'm hoping that Duolingo helps with that!

I think my username is RJNavarret

someone try adding me to see if it works!

Jay Sosa

Joining the party. You guys need to be assholes to me so that I actually force myself to learn French again. I took 4 years of it in HS, but don't remember much outside of the basics now. I'm hoping that Duolingo helps with that!

I think my username is RJNavarret

someone try adding me to see if it works!

will do...think It worked

Zzoram

Is this the official gaf thread for DuoLingo?

I just started using this recently for French and it's pretty good. I've noticed the iOS app is easier and has fewer features than the website.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ah man, this thread reminded me that I totally forgot this. I finished the first Unit (or series of units? whatever they are called) in Spanish but forgot to keep it up after I went on a trip. Dammit.

I kinda wish they'd get Korean support at some point, though.

Dammit, I am trying to relearn French but also want to learn Spanish. I decided to stick with French though, after getting to level 3 in Spanish.

I'm a Canadian and graduate in education and French may be nicer to have, but I imagine more immigrant students will be Spanish speaking (though maybe not).

French just seems a lot harder to learn, especially going off this app. So many exceptions and rules... think Ill stick to it and just practice though.

Are there no dedicated language threads on GAF? I have so many questions

empyrean

Started Spanish a few weeks ago, going ok so far, really doing more 'practice weak skills' then learning new stuff at the moment though.

Anyway, my question is: I'm interested mostly in football (read: soccer if american) so that would be my preference but are there any sites out there that have stuff that is fairly easy in spanish with english translations?

think i worded that badly but what i guess I'm after is actual real content to practice reading, preferably sports but will take anything.

Arksy

Just hit 490 days in French. Doesn't mean I know the language though. *Cries* It did land me a scholarship to study French at 3rd level at University though...

This is a bit of a bump, but is anybody else working through Duolingo's new Esperanto course? Would love to add people to my friends list for some additional motivation. I'm Starhowler if anyone's interested.

Zzoram

Just hit 490 days in French. Doesn't mean I know the language though. *Cries* It did land me a scholarship to study French at 3rd level at University though...

At 490 days are you done the French tree? Did you try to get a CEFR certification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom