• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: Code Veronica Remake is in development

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update 2:

IGN corroborates

Update:

VGC corroborates

States that RE5 and RE1 remake rumours are false and that neither are currently in development

Resident Evil 9 schedueld for late 2025

4/4) a remake of Resident Evil Zero & Code Veronica in development right now. I've talked to many others behind the scenes about this at this point, it's something I heard over a year ago, think it was going to get out whether I was the one to say it or not, & that's about it.

From what I've heard, Zero is primarily being lead by K2 & M-Two (who most recently did Separate Ways DLC for RE:4 & were a support studio on RE:4), Code Veronica is Capcom Dev 1 with a lot of the same people who worked on RE:2 & RE:4 though.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's why remaking it is a good decision. Game is trash.

Remaking Zero though? That's a pleb filter game.

Everything they remake is going to be completely unlike the original anyway. Nothing deserves it more or less, because it could go either way on any of them.

I'll play the lot.

Hrk69

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Reactions: Isa

Doom85

Remakes of Zero and Code Veronica? Nooooo.
The two worst ones.

Just get on with RE9 ffs.

So a remake makes the most sense as there’s room for the most improvement.

They’re working on 9, I’m not surprised it might take longer as Ethan’s story is concluded (and IIRC they said Rose won’t be the lead of future games) so they probably had to spend longer in pre-production figuring out where to go from here (stupid of them to have kept advancing the in-universe timeline to match our timeline as it makes it less believable to bring back the established characters, seriously Rebecca Chambers who was the youngest (18) of the original characters from 1, is now 44 if they keep the timeline going like this, and Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, etc. are even older. Thank god Capcom didn’t also make this mistake with Street Fighter, Ryu would be an old man by now).

Man I’m so out of touch with RE. Here I was thinking I enjoyed CV and it was a good game on DC. It’s widely considered to be trash?

I think it just aged more poorly than the others in the series. I remember loving it on the Dreamcast, but it did have some things that weren't great(Steve as a character) and the difficulty was off the charts.

If I recall, the switches where you move from Claire to Chris wasn't really warned, so if you didn't know about it, you got fucked on your items and weaponry if you didn't put them in the box.

Like..you literally can't fight shit almost. I think you run into Hunters, making the difficulty spike extremely high, if not forcing a restart.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man I’m so out of touch with RE. Here I was thinking I enjoyed CV and it was a good game on DC. It’s widely considered to be trash?
No, this is probably the first time I've heard people say that.
But you can probably tell that the people saying that are the (I hate remakes just make a new game) crowd.
RECV is probably the most requested Remake.
0 is a interesting choice, they need to get rid of the 2 character shit and and two campaigns
I did say like my good man in this thread
just remake 0 and 1 simultaneously and combine them into one massive game.
Before, which is what I'd do
But that would be a big game and it probably more profitable to do them separately.
I do think a Remake of 0 will be good

Those who have been fans of RE will argue that Code: Veronica significantly plays more like the original Resident Evil. Not Director's Cut, but the OG.

It's not easy and though it does have some cheap, softlock-esque moments(which is why I think a lot of folks want a remake), it's more pure survival horror.

I remember as a massive RE fan getting blindsided by the character swap and being ill prepared with weapons. I think I actually restarted the game I got hosed so badly.

DonF

Gold Member
I got code veronica on ps2 and I remember it being not so good. The hype was mostly cause it was a dreamcast exclusive. The game being full 3d looked worse than old ps1 resis and then resi 4 came and well... made CV look even worse.

I would try a remake CV.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Zero and CV are good Remake choices, given that they are the ones who’d profit the most from one.

Lets see. I do hope something will be announced soon.

Gambit2483

No, this is probably the first time I've heard people say that.
But you can probably tell that the people saying that are the (I hate remakes just make a new game) crowd.
RECV is probably the most requested Remake.
0 is a interesting choice, they need to get rid of the 2 character shit and and two campaigns
I did say like my good man in this thread

Before, which is what I'd do
But that would be a big game and it probably more profitable to do them separately.
I do think a Remake of 0 will be good
Hmm how would they manage to condense CV into one campaign? 🤔 Clearly Claire was the main narrative but Chris' story was important too as it revealed Wesker's survival and involvement in the plot. Not sure how fans would react if they removed Chris/Wesker from the game.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hmm how would they manage to condense CV into one campaign? 🤔 Clearly Claire was the main narrative but Chris' story was important too as it revealed Wesker's survival and involvement in the plot. Not sure how fans would react if they removed Chris/Wesker from the game.
Sorry I've just finished work and a bit tired, I miss words when I'm tired so it comes out wrong
I was referring to Resident Evil 0
They need to make it a split campaign between Rebecca & Billy instead of that awkward team work thing.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Doubt.

Capcom keeps stating they don’t want to fuck with this one.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If it's a completely new game (story, characters, direction, narrative etc.), I'm in, if not and more like the original, then I've zero interest.

Astral Dog

color me surprised, i hope this is not a dissapointment like that Resident Evil Switch game he made up don't play with my heart Dusk!

And Resident Evil Zero as well?? I would buy it as long as its well made, REZero is so underrated

Gambit2483

Sorry I've just finished work and a bit tired, I miss words when I'm tired so it comes out wrong
I was referring to Resident Evil 0
They need to make it a split campaign between Rebecca & Billy instead of that awkward team work thing.
😂 It's all Good, I think I may have misunderstood as well, but yea, that would be a much better idea, if they can execute it right. I wasn't a fan of the tag team mechanic as well...I just toleratedit.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I've never played Zero or Code Veronica and have thoroughly enjoyed every RE Remake that's come out so far, so sign me up if true.

I'm thinking Capcom's going to abandon the first-person conclusion to the Winters trilogy with RE 9 after seeing how well their Remakes have been doing. It'd be nice to tie a bow with three RE "trilogies" (RE 1-3 = Fixed camera survival horror, RE 4-6 = Behind-the-shoulder action horror, RE 7-9 = First-person action horror), but games take so long to make now I wouldn't blame them for shifting strategy to adjust to consumer demand.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'm all for a CV remake, loved the original game and have played through it many times. Lots of room for improvements though. If Capcom handles it right, it can be up there with the greatest entries.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
code_veronica_image6.jpg

Remember when these were the best console visuals around? :messenger_sunglasses:
I was there Gandalf…

Man, as a PS2 owner I was so angry at this only releasing on the Dreamcast. Game was sooo good back then.

Ironically I would say it aged worse than all the PSone RE. Prefer the pre-rendered backgrounds to the 3D ones every day. Game looks like trash today.

Soodanim

The idea of a CV remake worries me, because it could easily be ruined by changes to Alfred Ashford that diminish his character. The man's insane and should be portrayed as such. But the game itself has things that could be tweaked to let the game shine without people getting caught up on things that aren't their fault.

0 is a good game, and it would have to be changed from a gameplay perspective but in general the game wouldn't need too much changing. Sure, remove the backtrack for the Hookshot* and fix the magic elevator, but the rest of the game works. The only real problem left would be Rebecca's change in character, and if you're redoing it do you change how Rebecca is in 1? That's shaky ground to start treading.
IIRC it's 6 rooms if you dropped it in the hall and 8 if you left it by the train. It's nearly all a straight shot through, too. Count how far you can be from an item box in any other RE game and it's not much more at all. RE2 makes you backtrack 4 rooms for the valve handle in the sewers then another 3 shortly after if you didn't think to move the platform back up after you crossed, and 3 makes you backtrack 7 rooms for the lockpick. Both of those examples are no different to 0, but 0 gets all the flak.
If 0 really is being remade, I'm not sure I really see any value in it unless they have plans for Rebecca or Billy.

Last edited:

Rambone

I can't say that I am excited for these remakes but I am also not against it. I'll certainly play them if/when they come out.

Lambogenie

I think it just aged more poorly than the others in the series. I remember loving it on the Dreamcast, but it did have some things that weren't great(Steve as a character) and the difficulty was off the charts.

If I recall, the switches where you move from Claire to Chris wasn't really warned, so if you didn't know about it, you got fucked on your items and weaponry if you didn't put them in the box.

Like..you literally can't fight shit almost. I think you run into Hunters, making the difficulty spike extremely high, if not forcing a restart.

Was it changed on PS2 because it was probably the first RE game I finished and I just had to brute force Hunters. Memory is vague, but those Hunters were shit.

Davey Cakes

Remakes of Zero and Code Veronica? Nooooo.
The two worst ones.

Just get on with RE9 ffs.
I actually like Zero more than Code Veronica, but both are flawed.

Fix what's broken. If anything, we should see MORE remakes of lesser games.

If 0 really is being remade, I'm not sure I really see any value in it unless they have plans for Rebecca or Billy.
Both characters deserve more love, honestly. Billy is cool and it was always weird that he didn't show up in RE5 considering his history in Africa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom