• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusty PS3 Kid = Professional Actor

Madman said:
The best selling games on most platforms (Gran Turismo, GTA, Halo) are intended for and mostly played by mature audiences. Wouldn't that indicate a high amount of older players?
I know more kids that play GTA than adults. But hey, them's the anecdotes. If the ratings system were 100% enforced, you'd have something there. Gran Turismo's an all ages affair, though, and it's quite popular with the under 18 crowd.

They've made some amazing technological advances in computer repair technology in recent years.

duster.jpg

Ranger X

This is obviously staged. They probably dusted out that PS3 (it almost look like there's sand there common) and when it wasn't working they decided to send it in. (obviously knowing this would cause trouble and let them the occasion to throw some show on TV).

FOX is a such a bad TV channel and it's so cool to hate Sony that i would totally believe that if ever it was the truth. And personally i wouldn't replace a PS3 like this. It is stated that neglect isn't a reason to replace the machine. It's pretty clear what is neglect and what is not. It like trying to return your VHS moving after it molt in your car under the sun. If you throw a glass of water in your computer or whatever electronic and it would break you wouldn't get refunded either.

battleMAUS said:
i don't watch news, but i always assumed that the RROD problems was covered at some point. to here that it wasn't comes as a shock. fox decides to put a single ps3 that is obviously a fraud on the air.

I mean honestly you can tell the whole thing is set up: " yeah we were going to watch Planet Earth on blu ray" lol the way he said it was just too funny. and then he was like " i went to WIGGLE, uh press the eject button," if you watch his thumb im not sure what hes doing but thats not the motion to eject a disc from the ps3. finally the dumbass reporter says that she has the same issues with her consoles at home. jesus christ take a rag to your console, this crap is so obv setup. its impossible for that much dust to collect in anything less than 3+ years.

LOL at the end he says hes hearing from people that are saying they have even more dust on their ps3 than he does. and that they might take sony to court. W T F. someone needs to call this dude out

I know
"wiggle errrmmm.. I mean press."
Then when he talks about the call to Sony he stutters and looks up (the first thing someone does when the lie)
"It's uhh too dusty to be replaced and a hazard to their technicians."

Then the news lady has to repeat that hyperbolic quote with a shocking tone
"A hazard to to there technicians?"
"Ya apparently LOLOLOLOLOL"
Then the news reporter says
"I have the PS3 the Xbox, all of these at home and have the dust problem across the board"

I just don't believe her. Then that douche shakes his head yes and responds with his pussy lisp voice
"I wasth worried thSony ran out of compresthed air at their repair thCenter"

TTTHhhhhSSSssss
Metalmurphy said:
:lol

Holyshit man, this might actually be just one big conspiracy :lol

Awesome find.

xbox_boat.jpg

128477766_f14b997790_o.jpg
I know about the 360 love boat thing at the Euro launch, but is that 360 clown for real? It looks like a photo shop.

Gattsu25

Banned
firex said:
lol at all the people in this thread in a bitchfest because this guy mentions a problem with their poor precious PS3. jesus, stop taking your hardware preference like a religion.
Do you really think this will help? All it will serve to do is piss off sony loyalists and make you look even more like an instigator that thrives entirely on providing meaningless flamebait

The conspiracy bullshit *is* annoying, but your post is akin to a your momma joke, in terms of maturity.
g35twinturbo said:
Only way a person can explain that is they live in a wooden house with hardwood floors and there vacuum is broken to a point when they use it it shots dust all over the place. and...... I can't think of any crazy way for it to get like that
Not even leaving it folding for 300+ days unattended?

cicatriz

Let's say the PS3 did truly become that dusty. It became that way because the owners lazy ass didn't bother taking 5 minutes to dust it.

If Sony replaces PS3's because of this, maybe Subaru will give me a new WRX if I stop washing my current one.

InterMoniker said:
I know Then when he talks about the call to Sony he stutters and looks up (the first thing someone does when the lie)

Then the news lady has to repeat that hyperbolic quote with a shocking tone Then the news reporter says

I just don't believe her. Then that douche shakes his head yes and responds with his pussy lisp voice

TTTHhhhhSSSssss
I know about the 360 love boat thing at the Euro launch, but is that 360 clown for real? It looks like a photo shop.
"Pussy lisp voice"?

Good god, grow up.

Nicktals

Banned
People are insane.

That guy was not paid to go on there. He probably had contacts within Fox, and if you generate enough noise over something, expect to get recognized. Especially when it's so rediculous. Too dusty? Really? That is rediculous and I can see why he would be pissed about it.

Nicktals

Banned
cicatriz said:
If Sony replaces PS3's because of this, maybe Subaru will give me a new WRX if I stop washing my current one.

They will, if your Subaru stops running while under a warranty, because it got too dusty.

Nicktals said:
People are insane.

That guy was not paid to go on there. He probably had contacts within Fox, and if you generate enough noise over something, expect to get recognized. Especially when it's so rediculous. Too dusty? Really? That is rediculous and I can see why he would be pissed about it.
Well, I don't know if I'd touch it either for a warranty repair. He obviously doesn't care much about his stuff if he can't bother to dust for long enough for it to get that dusty. Take a cloth and wipe it now and then, buddy.

Gattsu25

Banned
Nicktals said:
People are insane.

Personally, I would've also sent the system back to the owner were I the tech that opened the coffin.

Pellham

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
How is this even newsworthy, let alone getting air on Fox News? Jesus. American reporting is beyond pathetic.

Because one instance of stupidity on a generally disliked tv network = all american reporting is pathetic. Riiiight.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nicktals said:
They will, if your Subaru stops running while under a warranty, because it got too dusty.
What if I open the engine and pour some ol' dust in the cylinders? I honestly don't think it's possible for anything to become so dusty if you keep it outside of the construction yard and such places. The guy was probably looking for some publicity like that guy with 11 failed X360s.

Slavik81

Aladuf23 said:
Every time I hear about this dusty PS3 story that is all I ever think, just wipe off the fucking thing for 10 seconds with a towel and this will all be over with.
That doesn't remove the dust on the inside...

Mockingbird said:
With that said, I think someone should try testing this by sending in their PS3 with extra dust -- maybe even PS1 or PS2 and see if Sony responds with "this is too hazardous to our technicians." If it's too hazardous for them, why would they let the consumer have it?
You think they sold it to him like that?

Nicktals

Banned
Marconelly said:
What if I open the engine and pour some ol' dust in the cylinders?

Well that's where we disagree. There's no way this kid poured dust on his PS3. It looked dusty, but it didn't look fake by any means.

Nicktals

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, I don't know if I'd touch it either for a warranty repair. He obviously doesn't care much about his stuff if he can't bother to dust for long enough for it to get that dusty. Take a cloth and wipe it now and then, buddy.

If it's that dangerous, then Sony should be making sure people know to wipe down their systems every once in a while or risk voiding their warranty.

Slavik81

Nicktals said:
Well that's where we disagree. There's no way this kid poured dust on his PS3. It looked dusty, but it didn't look fake by any means.
You're right. It looks more like he left it sitting outside for a few days.

Nicktals

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
nope, consumer negligence comes into effect here.

If a Subaru gets too dusty???? Well then I think that should be the real issue.

EDIT: I've just never heard of something being refused because of dust. If dust is a threat to technicians, then I assume they are wearing masks (or whatever they are called, the things doctor's and people sensitive to dust wear to protect themselves) AT ALL TIMES. Is it so dusty that it will still pose a risk when using a mask?

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well if his place is that dusty to cause that in less then a year I feel for him. He probably will be dead with black lung disease in another year.

Nicktals said:

Reid Godshaw is that you??? The only way it would get that dusty is if you played that bitch in the middle of a sand storm! This is obviously neglect. Why would you not take care of a $600 piece of hardware? He is obviously a spoiled brat who has never spent his own money on anything except maybe a 2 dollar hooker. Hell, he needs to be slapped just for having that retarded looking soul patch!

Rant over, off soup box.

I saw that picture a week or two ago and I thought it was a joke of some sort.

If you have to kidding me that I just saw an actual news clip about it in the OP....

Nicktals

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
Reid Godshaw is that you??? The only way it would get that dusty is if you played that bitch in the middle of a sand storm! This is obviously neglect. Why would you not take care of a $600 piece of hardware? He is obviously a spoiled brat who has never spent his own money on anything except maybe a 2 dollar hooker. Hell, he needs to be slapped just for having that retarded looking soul patch!

Rant over, off soup box.

Meh, I pay for all my own electronics and have never dusted any of them.

My main point is still that if dust is a threat, the technician's HAVE to be wearing breathing masks, and I can't see the amount of dust on that PS3 being a risk at all if wearing a breathing mask. And if they're not wearing breathing masks, then how big of a risk is it really? If they handle 99 PS3 a day that are 1/3 as dusty without a mask, aren't they subjecting themselves to 33 times the "risk"?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Nicktals said:
If a Subaru gets too dusty???? Well then I think that should be the real issue.

EDIT: I've just never heard of something being refused because of dust. If dust is a threat to technicians, then I assume they are wearing masks (or whatever they are called, the things doctor's and people sensitive to dust wear to protect themselves) AT ALL TIMES. Is it so dusty that it will still pose a risk when using a mask?

Well I was mainly talking about the point if something gets real bad to where something does work.

IE. your transmission fails becuz YOU didn't put in tranny fluid into the dealie.

I never seen a case where something gets to dusty ina car but I can imagine, too much of a bad thing can harm it.

i'm not saying fox news covering this story isn't a fucking joke. i'm not saying that this kid's PS3 really got that dusty due to some fault of Sony.

i'm saying, do you really think that someone paid a child actor to do this? cause that's just crazy. there's dozens of people on gaf that would do that shit for free (and do do that kind of shit).

whether or not he's a fanboy or a douschebag i don't see how the fact that he's acted in something is any more evidence of anything.

that's what i'm saying. it's one thing to rightly feel that people have been a bit hard on Sony in the press (BBC news aside... they love Sony) but it's another thing entirely to think this is a conspiracy on some major level that would involve faking system flaws and hiring actors to speak on TV.

Fox news is terrible. they ran this story and put this kid on TV, not because they hate Sony, but because they're IDIOTS who don't know what the fuck they're doing.

tanod

when is my burrito
Slavik81 said:
You're right. It looks more like he left it sitting outside for a few days.

in a desert.

i'm saying, do you really think that someone paid a child actor to do this? cause that's just crazy. there's dozens of people on gaf that would do that shit for free (and do do that kind of shit).
Umm, isn't he an adult film actor?
He's 18 which means he's an adult.

Kujo

I've got an old PC in the other room which hasn't been cleaned for nearly a year and it is in no way as dusty as that. I just don't see how something could get that bad under actual normal conditions. Why does the memory flap have so much dust under it? Did he leave it up for the entire time he owned it?

Even if for some reason it wasn't his own doing, it still is intentional neglect of the product and would not really be covered under most manufacturer warranties if it was given to them in this condition.

6uq777q.jpg

Nicktals said:
:lol Are you serious!?

This is absolutely pathetic. "I heard stories from even a week after launch and people complaining about dust" What a pure moron. Do you guys remember all the jokes and stories about PS3 being way to glossy and even the littlest bit of dust shows up on it?

This is absurd. So if I took my 26" Samsung HDTV and used to to search for treasure in the desert and it failed to work after, Samsung should fix it with no questions asked? Just a simple "How did the treasure hunt go?"

No company would not question receiving a piece of electronics like that and it being submerged in a fucking desert for so long. I mean come on. I clean my PS3 every other week with a vacuum cleaner and special cloth that came with my TV which is also glossy mind you.

This guys has no case whatsoever to be whining to the BBB or for consumerist to be taking his side on this. It's a joke and I fully support Sony with this. The PS3 has had no serious problems and you can see where all the money poured into the system went "stability", this guy doesn't even deserve to have electronics like this.

Firewire

Banned
Another thing I'm wondering about besides how the dust got right into the slots. How did this thing get to Fox's studio with none of the dust even accidentally being wiped off? I think they dusted the thing up on set.

Bull shit artists!

Couldn't even make it look believable!

Big-E

I still don't understand why this is getting play. The warranty states they won't cover neglect which this clearly is.

rothbart

plagiarize said:

whether or not he's a fanboy or a douschebag i don't see how the fact that he's acted in something is any more evidence of anything.

It couldn't be that he wants to get noticed. That he wants some of that "any publicity is good publicity" kind of publicity. Maybe he's just bored from not having any "real" acting gigs that he thought he could mess with Sony a bit and at worst get his abused PS3 replaced, and at best, maybe be payed to shut up about it.

I know people that have had run-ins with Sony's customer service policies and frankly, in this case I'm not at ALL surprised he was denied warranty service because CLEARLY the unit wasn't maintained in a clean environment. How can you fault Sony if the guy keeps shredded gerbils inside his PS3?

The guy's an attention whore looking for attention, a hand-out, or both.

Fox News will bite on anything. I don't think they're "in" on anything and I don't think Microsoft paid the guy. But the bottom line is that sound bites and headlines make Sony out to be some real top notch a-holes and in this individual situation, even if it furthers their bad reputation, I think they had every right to deny warranty work.

Big-E said:
I still don't understand why this is getting play. The warranty states they won't cover neglect which this clearly is.
Because even here on GAF where people should know better, there are some defending him?

rothbart said:
It couldn't be that he wants to get noticed. That he wants some of that "any publicity is good publicity" kind of publicity. Maybe he's just bored from not having any "real" acting gigs that he thought he could mess with Sony a bit and at worst get his abused PS3 replaced, and at best, maybe be payed to shut up about it.

I know people that have had run-ins with Sony's customer service policies and frankly, in this case I'm not at ALL surprised he was denied warranty service because CLEARLY the unit wasn't maintained in a clean environment. How can you fault Sony if the guy keeps shredded gerbils inside his PS3?

The guy's an attention whore looking for attention, a hand-out, or both.

Fox News will bite on anything. I don't think they're "in" on anything and I don't think Microsoft paid the guy. But the bottom line is that sound bites and headlines make Sony out to be some real top notch a-holes and in this individual situation, even if it furthers their bad reputation, I think they had every right to deny warranty work.
right, probably. i'm just saying, i fail to see what him being an actor has to do with anything, and having my mind utterly boggled by the few people who seem to think that the fact he's an actor proves that he's a hired stooge of some sort.

SCReuter

Furio53 said:
It's on Fox Business News. Since this relates to Sony Corporation and how big of a deal it has become on the internet, don't you think the story is relative to the news channel?
Thank you.

Xzior

Idiot kid on FOX said:
"this is absolutly ridiculous"
Can't agree more, where the hell does he live? That amount of dust isn't freaking normal... I hate stupid people... this makes me so irritable...

Someone pls strangle that kid with his own intestines... pretty please with sugar on top...

I haven't dusted my TV or my consoles for about a year now, and still they are lightyears away of being that dusty...

Bloody freaking fraudulent bastard, burn in the Eighth Circle of Hell forever and ever!

Top Bottom