• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch ex-player Van Basten suspended from FIFA 20 after "sieg heil" comment on live TV

DS_Joost

Meanwhile, Black Pete and racism discussions have already died down again, because nobody actually gives a fuck.

This post sums it up quite nicely. No ones gives a flying fuck about this whole thing or the people who feel "insulted" by it. Boo fuckin' hoo. There's plenty of things I don't like either. Thing is, I don't have the whole media machine milking my comments on twitter to make it seem like there's a whole outrage happening.

In reality there's two people who actually care about this shit. The rest either hasn't ever cared and is pretending to care all of a sudden and the other half doesn't know who they are so they try to use this discussion to find an identity in order to seem smart and educated, whilst in reality they're only parroting what they already heard.

My opinion? The world's burning for fuck's sake and we're discussing whether a fictional figure should have golden earrings or not.

Look, it's plain and clear: Zwarte Piet comes from a colonial background originally. Though, as with many cultural phenomenons, has changed to accomodate a changing society (that change already happened in the 60's so most of you are kinda late to the party). It was always gonna change. I honestly don't care whether he's black or white or yellow or period-red, I really couldn't care less.

What I do care about are people's priorities though. Those who so fervently argue for or against this could serve the world better by bowing their intellects over better, more meaningful discussions. I however doubt that people can do that seeing as they choose to waste their time and energy on what ultimately is a non issue.

Let's face it, how many people are ACTUALLY protesting this? The media would have you believe thousands, tens of thousands. In reality though, there are maybe a hundred who actually give a fuck and a couple thousand who pretend because they haven't got anything better to do. This goes for either side of the discussion.

Last edited:

Ascend

This post sums it up quite nicely. No ones gives a flying fuck about this whole thing or the people who feel "insulted" by it. Boo fuckin' hoo. There's plenty of things I don't like either. Thing is, I don't have the whole media machine milking my comments on twitter to make it seem like there's a whole outrage happening.

In reality there's two people who actually care about this shit. The rest either hasn't ever cared and is pretending to care all of a sudden and the other half doesn't know who they are so they try to use this discussion to find an identity in order to seem smart and educated, whilst in reality they're only parroting what they already heard.

My opinion? The world's burning for fuck's sake and we're discussing whether a fictional figure should have golden earrings or not.

Look, it's plain and clear: Zwarte Piet comes from a colonial background originally. Though, as with many cultural phenomenons, has changed to accomodate a changing society (that change already happened in the 60's so most of you are kinda late to the party). It was always gonna change. I honestly don't care whether he's black or white or yellow or period-red, I really couldn't care less.

What I do care about are people's priorities though. Those who so fervently argue for or against this could serve the world better by bowing their intellects over better, more meaningful discussions. I however doubt that people can do that seeing as they choose to waste their time and energy on what ultimately is a non issue.

Let's face it, how many people are ACTUALLY protesting this? The media would have you believe thousands, tens of thousands. In reality though, there are maybe a hundred who actually give a fuck and a couple thousand who pretend because they haven't got anything better to do. This goes for either side of the discussion.
And yet it keeps coming back every year.

but I love seeing people debate circles around someone, which in this case was happening.
Saying this as a goodbye note...
Just because one side says what you agree with does not mean that that side had the better or the more logical arguments...

Last edited:

DS_Joost

And yet it keeps coming back every year.

Saying this as a goodbye note...
Just because one side says what you agree with does not mean that that side had the better or the more logical arguments...

Nah he was actually running circles around you...

And that's because most of your arguments are very easily countered. I guess where you come from they don't discuss much because you seem to think you are pretty good whilst in reality you act like you just had your first discussion 101 class. Look, those links you posted. Anyone knows those words. I know what confirmation bias is. You don't have to teach me. Rather, look at your own arguments because you seem to fall into that trap more than anyone else in this thread.

In short, don't try and teach people how to argue when you clearly haven't got much experience yourself.

About the argument you just made about it coming back every year: I know it does. Because the media keeps fueling it. It sells papers so heck why not?

In real life, most people have moved on. They're looking at more important matters. But hell it can't hurt sometimes reigniting that dying flame, can it? If only for a little bit. They will milk this discussion until it is dry, and then they'll move on to the next fad to discuss about.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
It's a very dumb thing he said, but I wonder if his character would have been erased like that before social media. Now EA can look like the good guy.
You're missing the story.
It is a dumb response. A colleague of his started talking in German and van Basten made the seig heil remark with the notion that he doesn't speak German or something along those lines. That's what I read on a Dutch site anyway. So bad joke gone wrong, apologized after on TV, everyone running with like it's the end of the world. Meanwhile ninja called someone a nigger or something, leaked a donator personal info and whats not and he is glorified.

Priorities and perspective.
I don't care for this news but wanted to shed some light about what happen. People slip up all the time.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
You're missing the story.
It is a dumb response. A colleague of his started talking in German and van Basten made the seig heil remark with the notion that he doesn't speak German or something along those lines. That's what I read on a Dutch site anyway. So bad joke gone wrong, apologized after on TV, everyone running with like it's the end of the world. Meanwhile ninja called someone a nigger or something, leaked a donator personal info and whats not and he is glorified.

Priorities and perspective.
I don't care for this news but wanted to shed some light about what happen. People slip up all the time.

The reporter ended the conversation and said goodbye, at which point Van Basten jokingly said "Sieg Heil" as if it was the German's way of ending the conversation.

It was kind of a random joke, yet it wasn't.
Given that it was an interview about football, context is important.

At the height of Van Basten's carreer, there was still a lot of ill will, or maybe even hate, from the Dutch towards the Germans.
At the time I was a kid and I still remember how spitefull people were towards the Germans, especially with football.
"Sieg Heil" jokes were very normal, especially amongst his generation, but in the present day that isn't the case anymore, so jokes like that raise some eyebrows nowadays.

It just got blown way out of proportion due to social media and our PC societies.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Yes, in soccer there were many tension in the 80s-90s,also inside the field

Ozil was removed recently for Chinese version of pes 2020 for making pro-Hong Kong Statements. When you can't distinguish Simulation from reality

V4skunk

Banned
dutch people seem to have a very strange kind of humor.
a friend of mine told me about a "comedian" that made fun of people with cancer, muslims, gay people and down syndrome. His name was hanz teeuw or something
then again they have national blackface day in 2019.

Not sure if this country is taken serious even in europe ;P
You sound like a leftist.
The shit you described is standard comedy in Britain!
Also the "Black face" day is a traditional holiday called St Nicholas day and the black face represents Zwarte Piet.
People like you are not ever going to break traditions with out physically enforcing it.

hunthunt

Banned
I just love how some of you European and American millenialls relativize the nazi stuff.

Im far from being a swj guy but is like certain war were docens of millions of people like you died which was caused by nazis never happened except in fiction or videogames.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I just love how some of you European and American millenialls relativize the nazi stuff.

Im far from being a swj guy but is like certain war were docens of millions of people like you which was caused by nazis never happened except in fiction or videogames.
It's a post-WWII Dutch-German thing.

No need to be so sensitive about it. Us "millenials" grew up with the stories, so we're all very aware of what happened.

I dunno, I found it funny lol. Then again I believe there's more important stuff in life to worry about than someone saying Seig heil

Top Bottom