• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DVD Tuesday (11/30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero

Complete list

Not a whole lot of stuff this week. But what's here is enough.

B00005JMQW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(in eight zillion different versions)

B00030590I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00062IVPI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0002MINTQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BojTrek

Banned
Best Buy wants me to buy Spiderman and Spiderman II for $25.00

I won't do it... I was very close to buying the both of them and I remembered...

I love Spiderman II and only like Spiderman I... I could not see myself buying the first movie with that TERRIBLE costume on Defoe... I hate that goblin...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Anybody know what changes have been made for the US DVD release of Hero?

Lhadatt

DarienA said:
Anybody know what changes have been made for the US DVD release of Hero?
This may not be the full list, but a quicky Google reveals this:

IGN said:
A note for those who have the import DVD. A number of changes were made to the subtitles. Some are minor; when Sky and Nameless fight, Nameless addresses the old blind musician as "Sir" instead of "Old man."

Two are big. First, the chant from Chinese soldiers that was translated as "Hail! Hail!" is now "Storm! Storm!" which is just plain weird. The other is Broken Sword's message. In the original film, he wrote "All under Heaven" in the dust. However, it's translated to "Our land" in this release.

The Video

Mr. Magoo is alive and well and supervising the transfers at Miramax. Seriously, this has to stop. Miramax is consistently producing the worst DVDs from a major studio, and this one is no exception. The video quality of this DVD is even lower than that of the import DVD, which is saying something.

The grain is hideous in places. There was a good amount in the import version but the Miramax release is worse. The film was overfiltered, like Miramax usually does (Cold Mountain, Kill Bill, The Station Agent) and overcompressed as well. This is probably due to the presence of a DTS soundtrack.

The end result is some nasty compression errors, like when dust is kicked up or during the fight between Snow and Moon (Zhang Ziyi) with all the leaves. On a big screen TV, you will notice these problems.

Color levels, at least, are decent. The deep reds of the early movie have a touch of chroma noise but it's minor. The blues and greens are rich, while the whites are surprisingly free of noise. Black levels are also good.

[Video] Score: 6 out of 10

They like the soundtrack's treatment though - supposedly excellent DD5.1 and DTS. The whole DVD gets a 7/10. http://dvd.ign.com/articles/428/428542p1.html?fromint=1

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
BojTrek said:
Best Buy wants me to buy Spiderman and Spiderman II for $25.00

I won't do it... I was very close to buying the both of them and I remembered...

I love Spiderman II and only like Spiderman I... I could not see myself buying the first movie with that TERRIBLE costume on Defoe... I hate that goblin...

Am I the only one that actually prefers the first Spiderman to the sequel? Maybe I was just too hyped for it but ultimately I was disappointed. I thought Alfred Molina was fantastic and the action sequences were great but there was just too much hammy dialogue between Dunst and Maguire.

I can't decide between the superbit and the 2 disc edition. There hasn't been any direct comparisons on how much the video is improved in the superbit version unfortunately. A few people have said even though the DD is really really good, the DTS is still better so that might be a reason to get it.

Thanks for the info Lhadatt. At least IGN is good for something.

Too bad that the DVD is so fucked. Also, I didn't know that the Kill Bill DVD was also afflicted. :(

Lhadatt

FortNinety said:
Thanks for the info Lhadatt. At least IGN is good for something.

Too bad that the DVD is so fucked. Also, I didn't know that the Kill Bill DVD was also afflicted. :(
No problem.

Eh, I can wait until Hero gets a new master. I'm waiting on the mythical special edition Kill Bill set with both volumes, too. Of course, I could be waiting quite a while longer for both...

Lhadatt

Naked Snake said:
What does Tarantino has to do with Hero? *confused*
I think he convinced Miramax to bring it over.

And his name helps sell the movie to people who think David Carradine is actually asian.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait... are there really people who think David Carradine is Asian? :lol

There really isn't anything out this week that'd want, except maybe the Ray Harryhausen set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom