• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DVD Tuesday (12/28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero

Complete list

A few of the notables:

B00061QK0W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005JNC2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0006A9FMI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Only 17 minutes, but worth the price anyway:

B0006IUE9I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Joke DVD of the week:

B0003JANT6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Isnt Resident Evil Apocalypse out today too?

edit: I checked the link, it's there. But it either deserves mention as noteworthy or as the joke one. :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Truelize said:

Tomorrow? Yup.
B00064AFBE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

0767834739.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

RE:A should have a fun commentary track(Commentary by Milla Jovovich, Oded Fehr, and Sienna Guillory)

Paradox

Truelize said:

yeah :lol quick as hell release.

Anyways Ill be getting Garden State (cant wait; second favorite movie of the year), Anchorman (blind buy), and Wicker Park (another blind buy).

Paradox said:
yeah :lol quick as hell release.

Anyways Ill be getting Garden State (cant wait; second favorite movie of the year), Anchorman (blind buy), and Wicker Park (another blind buy).

Be careful Paradox!!!! Anchorman could easily be the worst movie you ever see. It is funny to some, but I wasn't impressed at all and I was with about 10 people and every single one of them got up and walked out it was so bad. I at least stayed until the end. While it had great promise and a few good scenes it really was off as far as timing and direction go.

Triumph

Banned
BigGreenMat said:
Be careful Paradox!!!! Anchorman could easily be the worst movie you ever see. It is funny to some, but I wasn't impressed at all and I was with about 10 people and every single one of them got up and walked out it was so bad. I at least stayed until the end. While it had great promise and a few good scenes it really was off as far as timing and direction go.
You are dead inside.

Seriously.

Anchorman is the funniest movie of all time ever. EVER.

Drey1082

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that had such a love it/ hate it reaction as anchorman. I loved it. I thought it was histerical throughout. I did, though, recommend it to friends who thought it was the dumbest thing they've ever seen.

It's one of those movies that is so silly, it's funny (or stupid, given your feelings on the movie). If you like off the wall comedies like Zoolander, etc., there's a good chance you'll like Anchorman.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Are there any B&M stores that will actually stock Un Chien Andalou? I really wanna pick it up but I can't imagine Best Buy sticking it on the shelf next to Anchorman with this week's new releases...

COCKLES

being watched
Where's Baltar on the Battlestar cover? He's easily the best and funniest character in the new series.

"No more Mr Nice Giaus!"

Prospero

Minotauro said:
Are there any B&M stores that will actually stock Un Chien Andalou? I really wanna pick it up but I can't imagine Best Buy sticking it on the shelf next to Anchorman with this week's new releases...

Your best bet is probably the DVD sections of Borders or Barnes and Noble, but they sometimes don't get things in stock until a week after the release date, and even if they do you're guaranteed to pay the full MSRP for it.

Iceman

For serious?

Ghost in the Shell 2? I saw this in the worst theater set up ever constructed by man. It may have very well been the greatest theater ever set up by a crack team of blind, deaf guys who hate movies, don't get me wrong.. but it was not the most conducive place to watch such a (presumably) visual masterpiece.

I must see this again as it was meant to be seen... with surround sound and on a screen that wasn't fractured and kept together with scotch tape.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Anchorman is a must buy and Garden State is a must rent. Add to that I still need to pick u Napoleon Dynamite and Shaun of the Dead AND the fact that I just got like 8 DVDs for x-mas I'm gonna be on DVD overload.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
Yes, it is. Interestingly, this movie was actually made before The Last Samurai (in 2002). Maybe The Twilight Samurai finally made its way here because of the other's success.

Lhadatt

And GitS: Innocence and Giant Robo v2.

Of note are:
- Tsukihime, Lunar Legend (horror anime) - this link is for the first one for the pic, but the 2nd comes out on 12/28

That cover looks like it was done by a Photoshop n00b crackmonkey.

I have no idea if this one is any good, but the title amused me, and it's Takashi Miike. I might just pick it up for the title alone, though. :)

Mairu

B00061QK0W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005JNC2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B0006A9FMI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

For me

Very tempted to order The Twilight Samurai, rented it last week (work at blockbuster) and thought it was wonderful

Innocence: GitS 2 has some issues, Dreamworks forgot to include English subtitles on this disc, the only English track included is that for the deaf and hard of hearing, so it includes things such as [DOOR CREAKS] and [CAT MEOWS] whenever noises are made in the film. Also, I guess that [SILENCE] pops up a lot, and the font they used it quite large and obtrusive. Might want to wait and see if Dreamworks issues a recall or not.

Definately getting Twilight Samurai, I saw it in the theaters over the summer and absolutely loved it. Maybe I'll pick up Garden State with some Christmas money.

Prospero

Just finished placing an order at Amazon: my only new release purchase this week is Un Chien Andalou. (By the way, Dave McKean did the cover art for the disc, and apparently one of the extras is a McKean portfolio. Not much to do with the film, but we'll let it slide: who doesn't like Dave McKean?)

I also got The Yakuza Papers, a couple of Disney Treasures boxes, and ROTK EE. My New Year's resolution is going to be to go cold turkey on purchasing mass media products. Maybe I'll last a couple of weeks.

Dead

well not really...yet
I was going to pick up GITS2, but ill be boycotting that. The mess up with the subs is unacceptable.

distantmantra said:
Innocence: GitS 2 has some issues, Dreamworks forgot to include English subtitles on this disc, the only English track included is that for the deaf and hard of hearing, so it includes things such as [DOOR CREAKS] and [CAT MEOWS] whenever noises are made in the film. Also, I guess that [SILENCE] pops up a lot, and the font they used it quite large and obtrusive. Might want to wait and see if Dreamworks issues a recall or not.

?! X_X How is the dub? Is it horrible? Damn, that sucks. Everything I've read says the domestic release was to include the original Japanese 5.1 track with english subtitles.

Dead

well not really...yet
kitchenmotors said:
?! X_X How is the dub? Is it horrible? Damn, that sucks. Everything I've read says the domestic release was to include the original Japanese 5.1 track with english subtitles.
There is no dub. Literally.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Innocence is hilariously all fucked up. From the absurd cover art (where the hell did they even GET that "art?") to the lack of subtitles, it's just a laughably awful release all around.

I'll be renting Garden State sometime this week, though, I think. I never did get a chance to see it in the theater.

Started the DVD week a day early with the following tiles I didn't get for Christmas, thanks to some Best Buy giftcards:

B00002E224.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0002YLC24.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0002YLD4Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And look what I found in the anime section over a week early?
B0006B97JI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0006B97JS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Check your local Best Buy, they may be out already.

Couldn't find Twilight Samurai, probably going to get Garden State tomorrow.

In hundreds of movies purchased in I forget how many years, today was the first day I purchased a fucking Full Screen movie. I didn't even notice until I put Anchorman on and saw the dreaded this film has been altered message. I guess in a case like Anchorman, it really doesn't matter much, but it pisses me off that I did something so dumb. I mean how could I possibly miss the FULL on the spine in what appears to be a 1 point font...

Amneziak

aka The Hound
Fucking Best Buy. They aren't carrying Twilight Samurai (at least in my area), and I wasted 15 minutes just looking for parking. I'll have to use my gift card for something else now.

Pachinko

I saw both anchorman and resident evil last week thanks for a freind that works at a rental store. Anchorman still held up to the second viewing, seriously you have shitty taste in comedies if youcan't find something good about this film , it's up there with Zoolander as the best comedy I've ever watched.

Resident evil had some decent dvd stuff and well, its a terrible movie far worse then the first one but somehow it's 4 times as entertaining and more faithful to the games...

border

There's a $5 mail-in rebate if you buy Before Sunrise and Before Sunset together. Everyone should buy them! (Though technically neither one was released this Tuesday)

border said:
There's a $5 mail-in rebate if you buy Before Sunrise and Before Sunset together. Everyone should buy them! (Though technically neither one was released this Tuesday)

Sent off the $5 rebate today in the mail.

There is also a $5 rebate if you buy Napoleon Dynamite and Garden State.

border

I believe the rebate coupon is actually inside Before Sunset. Shamefully, I haven't picked it up yet. I already own Before Sunrise so I can't get the deal. I'm hoping that good sales of Before Sunset will result in Special Edition re-releases of both movies, since they are pathetically barebones discs. Before Sunrise is kind of understandable since it came out in the era of barebones discs, but I have no idea why they thought Before Sunset didn't deserve any special treatment.

But still -- buy them both! And get $5 back! BF + BS at DeepDiscountDVD = $30 (free shipping) - $5 rebate = $25.

Not a single store around here is selling Garden State for less than $20... boo-urns.

Shaun of the Dead was like that for me also. Couldn't grab it under $20 either. Had to suck it up and buy.

I'll probably do the same with Garden state.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Finally watched Garden State and it's one of the best movies of the year.

Sam: He's defending me. He's my knight in shining armor.
Andrew: Don't mention knights around Mark, it's a sore subject.
Mark: I'm going to kill that motherfucker.
Andrew: Pun intended?

Picked up Garden State tonight at CC for $17.99. Didn't make my top ten for the year, but it was still an enjoyable film.

Also found this at Best Buy a week early:
B0006B97FW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom