• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwarf Fortress coming to Steam/itch.io with a brand-new tileset made by Mayday and Meph (modders)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Marooner's Rock with the details:

The two main developers (Tarn and Zach) have decided to bring the game to Steam (and itch.io) mainly as a way of dealing with the unpredictable structure of Patreon, and also to help provide funds for rising healthcare costs within their families.
Kitfox Games (best known for Shattered Planet, Moon Hunters, and the upcoming Boyfriend Dungeon) will be helping handle the Steam release, mainly because Tarn and Zach are friends with them, and it’s a lot easier to have someone who knows the ropes of Steam approval and has an existing pipeline help deal with marketing and customer support. The big changes to the Steam version of the game are going to be an all new tileset, Steam Workshop support for new mods, graphics which are on by default, and auto-updates.
No existing Dwarf Fortress mods will be required to show up on Steam. The all-new from-scratch tileset, as shown in the teaser trailer and screenshots, is being created by veteran Dwarf Fortress modders Mike “Mayday” Madej and Patrick Martin “Meph” Schroeder. The Steam/itch.io version will also include some new musical tracks composed by Dabu.
---

The fact that a tailor-made tileset is included is pretty nifty. Some extra music tracks isn't a bad addition, either.

small_entrance.png

Ripped from the Steam page:

DF_SteamPage_Fortress.png

Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in their generated mountain. Your dwarves will need a steady supply of food and beer, but they’ll also need your guidance in surviving attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness, or even the dead.

• Craft treasures and furnitures from various materials
  • Establish a barony and support the increasingly demanding nobility
  • Read your dwarves’ thoughts to keep them happy
  • Build floodgates to divert water for farming, and/or prevent magma mishaps
  • Build structures and watch your dwarves discover and build their culture, like taverns, libraries, temples, honey, wax, pottery, animal training, bookbinding, and more.
DF_SteamPage_Adventure.png

Choose a sentient race from your generated world (usually dwarf, human, or elf, but potentially goblin or animal person) and quest for glory.. Or seek vengeance.

• Recruit people to join you on your journey
  • Explore without cumbersome plot restrictions, from capitals to catacombs, labyrinths to bandit camps.
  • The original nemesis system: Meet adversaries from the previous games
  • Earn a reputation as a hero, soldier, thug, musician, etc, with various civilizations
  • Stealth system with vision arcs, respecting vegetation density and other factors
  • Use signs like shoe impressions and animal tracks to hunt and avoid danger
  • Steal a mummy’s treasure or learn forbidden secrets from a necromancer’s tower
  • Visit your retired fortresses and meet your old dwarves -- even ask them to join you!
DF_SteamPage_Legacy.png

• The original inspiration for RimWorld, Prison Architect, Minecraft and more.
  • One of the first video games acquired by the Museum of Modern Art in New York
  • Updated for over 16 years by two brothers, Tarn “Toady One” and Zach “Threetoe” Adams

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I can't wait for people who've never heard of DF to think "hm, looks neat, I'll give it a shot". Y'all in for a world of pain.

Roni

Gold Member
Never played this, but I've heard this is the father of procedural games. Read/heard something about the parent of a dead character procedurally walking up to it and crying after a battle or something. Is it really that amazing?

Shifty

That availability date is great :messenger_grinning:

Surprised to see this come to Steam at last, I always figured it would remain in its niche. I've heard the stories about how complex it is, even tried to watch Giant Bomb's Dave Fortress feature to figure out the shape of the game with not much success. Maybe now - or whenever time finagles itself into something objective - is the time to hop in and see it first-hand.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah, sounds like it is. I'll give this a try, for sure. Sounds epic!
Try not to become obsessed. If you end up playing for more than 7 consecutive months before you realize you've become emotionally attached to ascii characters, you'll know what I mean.

Never played this, but I've heard this is the father of procedural games.
Not the father. More like the autistic second cousin. Father would probably be Rogue, or maybe Elite. It does some really amazing things, but outside of RimWorld, it doesn’t seemed to have directly influenced many noteworthy games.

This game is conceptually awesome, but the Cliffs of Insanity learning curve just kills me. Just like EVE...
I'll give it another go with the Steam release, maybe the new tilesets will help.

Top Bottom