• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyad (PSN) |OT| - Psychedelic Sensory Overload

All the leaderboard issues, save Level 15's trophy will sort themselves out after 15-20 minutes... don't worry, your scores aren't being lost.

Level 15 trophy.. yeah your scores are being lost =( sorry, I'll fix it.

Thanks for the quick response! That is pretty much what I figured was happening, but I haven't got a chance to check the leaderboards since I played last.

More people need to buy this, too! I'm telling everyone I know with a PS3 to get it.

W1SSY

Just bought the game after watching the Giant Bomb quick look. Probably the best developer quick look I have saw on Giant Bomb.

Agent X

Gold Member
I got my copy of the game yesterday, and am very pleased with it! It's such an addictive game, constantly beckoning me to give it "just one more try" to see if I can climb up the scoreboard a few more notches.

My greatest achievement so far was attaining the 4th ranking on the scoreboard for trophy level 4 yesterday. (It has since dropped down to 7th.) Of course, Wario64 is perched at the top of that one.

I was also proud of having completed trophy level 2 on the very first try. Most trophy levels have required several attempts before I could pass them.

When I finally managed to complete trophy level 5, I did so by barely squeaking by with only 0.04 seconds left on the clock. The scoreboards wouldn't refresh properly at first, but after a couple of minutes I checked again. I saw that I was ranked 57...out of 57. Obviously, I wasn't going to settle for that, and put in a few more attempts until I got out of the rock bottom position.

Zia

Where is GAF on this game? Did the Steam summer sale take everyone's money? If so, this might be a sleeper hit. :(

I'm wondering, also. It has nine reviews on Metacritic. Nine.

It's a game that's taken my breath away. It deserves a parade and a national holiday as far as I'm concerned. : )

1UP gave it an A.

Music games often get by with framing some very basic mechanics inside beautiful visuals, but Dyad seeks to do so much more. ][ Games could have easily sold Dyad based on its looks around, or stopped playing with the rules after the first tier of levels. But in providing such an inventive world for their straightforward little shooter to live in, ][ offers a stunning example of what can happen when you carefully develop an idea to its fullest extent.

http://www.1up.com/reviews/dyad-rev...astic?utm_campaign=twposts&utm_source=twitter

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The trophy for Level 4, "Admirable Virtues" is aggravating me! Grrr. I do the first part as fast as I can, but it's the second sector that I can't beat on time. Worst thing is when you bump into an enemy and bam, 10 seconds. Fuck that level for now. I'm at trophy level 6 now.

Koralsky

Swiped from the Dyad Twitter:

I think 15$ price tag for this kind of game is just too high.

I brought the game with discount thanks to my PS+ immediately after release. For just 15$ would have pass.

And in my case I love Rez, this kind of visual style and electronic music as a whole.

From what I play (i little more than 3 hours) this is perfect 10$ product.

Zia

Despite it being self-published, does Sony dictate review copy policy on Pub Fund games? I ask, because the UK pubs like EDGE, Eurogamer and Games TM, I feel, have the largest readership which a game like this would appeal to (they're also the publications that championed Space Giraffe), but they're not covering it. The same thing happened with Where Is My Heart? Granted, it doesn't really serve a large portion of their readership to review it early, however they review American-exclusive and Japanese games all the time. Seems to be, specifically, a Sony, or PSN, thing.

Despite it being self-published, does Sony dictate review copy policy on Pub Fund games? I ask, because the UK pubs like EDGE, Eurogamer and Games TM, I feel, have the largest readership which a game like this would appeal to (they're also the publications that championed Space Giraffe), but they're not covering it. The same thing happened with Where Is My Heart? Granted, it doesn't really serve a large portion of their readership to review it early, however they review American-exclusive and Japanese games all the time. Seems to be, specifically, a Sony, or PSN, thing.

They are probably not covering it yet because a release date for Europe hasn't been announced and Shawn hasn't sent them review codes.

Curufinwe

Do it. I did the same.

There is a reason the Danger level gives you a gold trophy. :p

I got the trophy by just holding right and mashing the X button till I got up to about 15 pairs, then I kept mashing X but started to actively dodge the green blocks.

Once I got to 25 pairs I just held right and kept mashing and my luck held till I hit something at 35 pairs. My second highest score was only 23, and I got that about a dozen times.

The trophy for Level 4, "Admirable Virtues" is aggravating me! Grrr. I do the first part as fast as I can, but it's the second sector that I can't beat on time. Worst thing is when you bump into an enemy and bam, 10 seconds. Fuck that level for now. I'm at trophy level 6 now.

I couldn't even unlock the trophy level for that one.

sarcoa

I have discovered it's literally impossible for me to complete the trophy challenge for #9 Match Sprint.

You're intended to lance 50 enemies with just four lances. After my third lance Dyad either hard locks the PS3 or resets my % back to zero and then continues along an infinite white tube. It never makes it to the failed/retry screen. Either way I have to reload the game every attempt.

I suppose I could try nab 50 with three lances :/

Curufinwe

No demo + $15 = no buy for me. $10 is a good impulse price. Sucks that pretty much all arcade/psn releases are now $15.

If you're the type of gamer who will want to get most of the trophies then it's a 15 hour plus game and well worth the money. But waiting for a demo is always smart.

Himself

I'm pretty sure this is something I'll love (huge fan of Wipeout and rez), but...I'm waiting for a demo to be sure.

Duffyside

Banned
I have discovered it's literally impossible for me to complete the trophy challenge for #9 Match Sprint.

You're intended to lance 50 enemies with just four lances. After my third lance Dyad either hard locks the PS3 or resets my % back to zero and then continues along an infinite white tube. It never makes it to the failed/retry screen. Either way I have to reload the game every attempt.

Not having the exact same problem, but close enough. Level has hard locked four times now, and I'm pretty sure I've gotten the trophy at least twice now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I bought this but I don't really like it. It looks pretty cool I guess, but I'm not enjoying the actual "game" part.

Too bad you can't give away DD games, at least then I could gift it to someone who would get some enjoyment from it.

thcsquad

During the Giant Bomb quick look the developer mentioned the possibility of a Vita port, but is hesitant because he thinks its more well fit to a TV screen.

He's actually personally mentioned it on this thread too. There's that (potential) issue plus he wants to make sure that PS3 owners would get it free on Vita. My guess is the second criteria would be a bigger problem than the first.

calder

Huh ok fine I got it. Looks pretty crazy, and I had $13 in my wallet and the game was like $11 something for PS+ members, no reason to not I suppose. And really, it's outrageous how much money I've been giving Valve the last week, may as well spread some around a bit. ;P

They are probably not covering it yet because a release date for Europe hasn't been announced and Shawn hasn't sent them review codes.

bingo. pub fund doesn't have a say in the review/coverage process ultimately, though we give guidance where we can; especially if the dev doesn't have their own PR.

Zia

bingo. pub fund doesn't have a say in the review/coverage process ultimately, though we give guidance where we can; especially if the dev doesn't have their own PR.

Neat.

Just took turns playing Eye of the Duck with the boyfriend for two hours.

Quasi-sober.

$12 would have been a better price point, $10 with PSN+. But I'm sure the sales will pick up after the demo is released, it's just a hard game to sell someone on without letting them play it.

Duffyside

Banned
Finally got the trophy on Match Spring. Game locked up another three times before I literally "beat" it, in that it seems the bug involves the level lasting too long. It was only once I just started rushing through as fast as I could that the game wouldn't freeze on me. Too bad too, because that's one of my favorite levels, and I felt like I had a real good shot of getting higher on the leader boards.

Overall I like the game, but the problem with making sure a game has lots of variety in its gameplay (and visuals, and sound, and and and) is that the risk of something being not very fun is much higher. Lots of levels are loads of fun, but some levels aren't at all.

I just turned the game off because I was going for a trophy that simply said "beat the level in 2 minutes," but there is also some checkpoint mechanic that I don't think was explained at all. Somehow my times get worse and worse with every attempt, and I honestly have no idea why. I'm not sure if there are some other mechanics in play in that level or not, and I'm really stumped as to why I got to something like 90% of the level on my first run, then 75%, then 65%, and by the end 49%. I'm not tired, and I felt like I was understanding the layout of the level more with every run. I just don't get it.

Yeah, pretty frustrating night of Dyad for me. I did get that Danger trophy though, and that was pretty fun. Not a very long level, so I never got too frustrated. "Enjoyed" seeing Wario64's score of like 50 hooks in that level, which is just mind-blowing. I didn't even know there were 50 pairs to make. At the end when I spammed from 23 to 28, I felt like such a badass until seeing that. Really impressive. Hope someone makes a youtube vid of a run like that.

He's actually personally mentioned it on this thread too. There's that (potential) issue plus he wants to make sure that PS3 owners would get it free on Vita. My guess is the second criteria would be a bigger problem than the first.
I think he already clear it with sony about the buy 1 get free thing. The whole buy 1 get both version is sony's initiative anyway. I think retro city rampage guy mention that sony is the one approaching him to make rcr a buy 1 get both version.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer

That's really weird. I never encountered that. I will try to repo that and see what I can do.

Curufinwe

Yeah, pretty frustrating night of Dyad for me. I did get that Danger trophy though, and that was pretty fun. Not a very long level, so I never got too frustrated. "Enjoyed" seeing Wario64's score of like 50 hooks in that level, which is just mind-blowing. I didn't even know there were 50 pairs to make. At the end when I spammed from 23 to 28, I felt like such a badass until seeing that. Really impressive. Hope someone makes a youtube vid of a run like that.

The Light Spectrum trophy is even better in that regard. I was a having trouble getting to 40 and got to 37 and died a few times, and then when I finally got past 40 I was able to spam all the way up to 81 by using my lances at the right times.

Arcteryx

Finally got the trophy on Match Spring. Game locked up another three times before I literally "beat" it, in that it seems the bug involves the level lasting too long. It was only once I just started rushing through as fast as I could that the game wouldn't freeze on me. Too bad too, because that's one of my favorite levels, and I felt like I had a real good shot of getting higher on the leader boards.

Overall I like the game, but the problem with making sure a game has lots of variety in its gameplay (and visuals, and sound, and and and) is that the risk of something being not very fun is much higher. Lots of levels are loads of fun, but some levels aren't at all.

I just turned the game off because I was going for a trophy that simply said "beat the level in 2 minutes," but there is also some checkpoint mechanic that I don't think was explained at all. Somehow my times get worse and worse with every attempt, and I honestly have no idea why. I'm not sure if there are some other mechanics in play in that level or not, and I'm really stumped as to why I got to something like 90% of the level on my first run, then 75%, then 65%, and by the end 49%. I'm not tired, and I felt like I was understanding the layout of the level more with every run. I just don't get it.

Yea I had that issue as well(seems like another person above did too), but it worked out eventually through a glitch.

Are you me? Seriously, the parts I bolded are EXACTLY how I feel after sinking some more time into the game. WAY WAY WAY too much variety(I know that sounds weird); you hop around between different "modes" without really ever "perfecting" one(unless you sit and replay it 100000x). And yea, some of the modes are just downright un-fun/poorly explained.

NeoRausch

Aw man, i was like: huh, i think i like this game! Reminds me of trippy stuff...

then i watched the giantbomb quicklook...

I WANT THIS GAME...NOW!

i know it's not the fault of the devs or anything, but man the wait is killing me.

ascully

After playing this for a few days I think the early levels are really fun, but when they start adding on layer after layer of complexity the fun seems to leave the game fairly quickly. I was really enjoying matching pairs but when the enemies appear and things get hectic I feel that all my strategy goes out the window. I got the first two trophys and about half way through the levels but I think I am done now.

Zia

After playing this for a few days I think the early levels are really fun, but when they start adding on layer after layer of complexity the fun seems to leave the game fairly quickly. I was really enjoying matching pairs but when the enemies appear and things get hectic I feel that all my strategy goes out the window. I got the first two trophys and about half way through the levels but I think I am done now.

You should really finish. Actually finishing the game is incredibly easy (the only time the entire way through I reached an actual fail state was on the second-to-last level, because I didn't realized I had a time limit). It's designed to be accessible, while the depth is in achieving high scores and obtaining trophies. I think most anyone that plays games regularly should be capable of seeing the final level without much frustration. Stick with it.

Top Bottom