• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyad (PSN) |OT| - Psychedelic Sensory Overload

Thoraxes

Taking a break from sending press emails... lets do page 1 questions:

I don't have it, but I actually did test it on someone who does and it really fucked her up =)

That means this game is going to wreck my brain >.>

I'm just curious as to how strong it'll be when I get around to playing it :D

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for responding to the vita requests, I just wanted to chime in that it would be amazing to have on the Vita. Your dedication to get it running at 60fps is inspiring as well and really think that you should consider how people would appreciate a game like this in their bed as well as their couch...even on the go... anywhere. In your hands is just another level and it would stand out at this stage with quite a small catalogue as well ;) /nudge nudge

Perkel

Banned
Looks amazing Day one !

I would kill for Vita version.

Wipeout HD Zone mode on OLED looks astonishing so this would be even better !

guest1321

For a game that look visually chaotic, it is suprisingly peaceful when playing it. I think if you have no idea what it is and you see it for the first time it is overwhelming. But once you get the controller in your hand and you start linking sounds with visuals, it all fits together so well that becomes more soothing than anything.

Barryman

Agreed. The press coverage of this game was obsessed with just screaming about how CRAZY the game is. OMG drugs/colors/seizures etc.

The audiovisual experience is really nice to be sure, but the game itself is easy to grasp and super addictive. What's impressing me the most is that not only is it very mechanically enjoyable, but it also is pretty unique from a game design perspective.

My only problem with it now is my horrible SDTV that isn't letting me read any of the text that explains the rules for each level. Really need to upgrade....

Thanks again Shawn for the code, awesome job putting the game together.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
I didn't have an SDTV to test on =( sorry! I'll buy one now, I might have enough money now or something. I'll look into making it more readable. is it *THAT* bad? or just an annoyance?

It's definitely something you wanna play on an HDTV anyway... I know not everyone can do that, sorry =\

Agreed. The press coverage of this game was obsessed with just screaming about how CRAZY the game is. OMG drugs/colors/seizures etc.

The audiovisual experience is really nice to be sure, but the game itself is easy to grasp and super addictive. What's impressing me the most is that not only is it very mechanically enjoyable, but it also is pretty unique from a game design perspective.

My only problem with it now is my horrible SDTV that isn't letting me read any of the text that explains the rules for each level. Really need to upgrade....

Thanks again Shawn for the code, awesome job putting the game together.

Atruvius

I have watched few gameplay videos and those reminded me a lot of WipEout HD's Zone mode. Any of you who have played both can say how similar they actually are?

sarcoa

I'm sure it will be completely obliterated in a few hours/days but currently I'm pretty satisfied with a #1 global ranking on stage 22 :D

I didn't have an SDTV to test on =( sorry! I'll buy one now, I might have enough money now or something. I'll look into making it more readable. is it *THAT* bad? or just an annoyance?

It's definitely something you wanna play on an HDTV anyway... I know not everyone can do that, sorry =\

was on the fence but i'm buying this game thanks to that gracious reply, i'm used to seeing devs replying with "HDTV's are really cheap, you should just upgrade" rather than offering to look into it.

guest1321

I'm sure it will be completely obliterated in a few hours/days but currently I'm pretty satisfied with a #1 global ranking on stage 22 :D

Damn, i got 11 or 12th place on one of them and I got super stoked. Then again, I was only able to squeeze 45 minutes in last night. Looking forward to tonight though.

Skyzard

Banned
This game reminds me more of a modern day Rez which I only got to play on DC or Boost (iPhone tunnel game) then it does of wipeout's zone mode - of which I am also a huge fan.

I am really excited for this - I haven't bought a console/pc game in a while as I've been playing my Vita so much and even though it is a shame that there is no Vita release currently I may be pushed into picking this up on PS3 when it lands in EU. I have a feeling it would get so much more playtime from a portable version.

It makes too much sense to be on Vita. I don't want to sound like a little bitch but this would probably be one of my most anticipated games for the Vita. Currently the top two are Jet Set Radio and Retro City Rampage, neither of which I would have bought if they weren't coming to Vita <- in all honesty. Possibly I would have picked up JSR with a sale down the line but it probably won't get anywhere near as much playtime as the portables.

I know you are a huge fan of playing the game on big tvs as well - I'm sitting here with a PS3 plugged into a 42" plasma in my bedroom but I still just play my vita and use the tv for videos. The screen on the vita is just such a nice size and quality, really there is very little that wouldn't suit it.

I hope this game turns out to be the real deal. We need a modern cult classic at rez levels with the commerical success of the braids/journeys of our time.

Tadale

Really great of you to be answering questions.

I've got a few: Working alone on a game seems like it would be a huge challenge. What influenced your decision to make Dyad on your own? Was there a particular part of the game's creation that you felt a little weak in? Was it ever hard to stay motivated working alone?

Really looking to playing this.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
I didn't buy an HDTV until PAX East this year to demo it, (it was cheaper than renting)... I just played it on computer monitors. That was my first TV since moving out of my parents' about 10 years ago.

was on the fence but i'm buying this game thanks to that gracious reply, i'm used to seeing devs replying with "HDTV's are really cheap, you should just upgrade" rather than offering to look into it.

Amir0x

Banned

well maybe it was one sided in the coverage, but because of said coverage, I'm buying the game. I totally love my psychedelic drug game experiences.

Has anyone tried this on drugs yet? I think being stoned your reactions would be too slow and tripping you'd just become completely lost and incapacitated.

Just wanted to pop into this thread and tell everyone to BUY BUY BUY BUY.

Shawn is a friend, a colleague, a super respected & beloved member of the Toronto independent community and MOST IMPORTANTLY someone who made something truly special his own way without compromise.

This should be supported. He should be supported.

And the best part about supporting is you get to play something actually, quantifiably different (and radical).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Everything I've heard about this the past few days has gotten me super pumped. Will be getting it day 1 if Sony gets its shit together and actually lets me use my debit card on PSN.

Dr.Hadji

Its my personal goal to best Wario64 on the rankings.........for all the levels. When it happens........ feels good man.

cyborg009

Banned
I don't know if your still taking question but I wanted to ask how important was music to during the game development and also did you ever play children of Eden cause this game really remind me of it.

and ya you should totally port it to vita if you ever have a chance

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
Just wanted to pop into this thread and tell everyone to BUY BUY BUY BUY.

Shawn is a friend, a colleague, a super respected & beloved member of the Toronto independent community and MOST IMPORTANTLY someone who made something truly special his own way without compromise.

This should be supported. He should be supported.

And the best part about supporting is you get to play something actually, quantifiably different (and radical).

So awesome to hear. I've only bumped into Shawn a few times, but when I have, it's super obvious he's put his soul into this game. Perhaps that's what Dyad is: Playing Shawn McGrath's soul? sold.

can't wait to sit down with this next week.

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
Keep asking! I'm going to answer page 2 tonight.

And thanks Nathan ;)

I'm also doing dyad-ish trivia on twitter in 3 mins for 2 free codes. @dyadgame

NJShadow

I just finished the game and... man... Eye of The Duck... Anybody care to come over and help me scrape the chunks of brain matter off my ceiling?

Top Bottom