• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E.P.A. Announces Repeal of Major Obama-Era Carbon Emissions Rule

Too bad. It's coal o'clock!

tXBFdab.gif

I wish we could throw this whole admin into coal mine and implode it.

When those unemployed miners are in line at the local unemployment office at least they can take solace, as they cough up a lung, that the war on coal was finally heroically declared "over". However, the next time you beg your local official to do something about the mining jobs going away don't be surprised when they respond, "but the war is over, we won" as he/she smiles and walks away.

So like, is everybody gonna be going back to coal now because of this? Are we gonna see a MASSIVE spike in coal usage over renewables thanks to this?

I feel like this ship has sailed a long time ago and this is just Pruitt throwing a temper tantrum.

TI82

Banned
Elections have consequences. Remember that next time.

Yep, anyone who voted third party or didn't vote: fuck you, you did to us

Also we need major election reform. A vote in Montana shouldn't be worth more than one in California

Mahonay

Banned
Elections have consequences. Remember that next time.
He lost the popular vote by about 3 million votes. The majority of America did not vote for him.

Although nearly 60 million people still decided an unqualified sexual predator racist con man was ok with them. And all those that didn't vote because "both sides are just as bad". So yeah still, fucked.

TI82

Banned
He lost the popular vote by about 3 million votes. The majority of America did not vote for him.

Although nearly 60 million people still decided an unqualified sexual predator racist con man was ok with them.

Some 4,000 total votes in swing States decided that we got Trump :|

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is just step one. Wait until the tax breaks and government investment into renewable energy turns into extra taxes because "small government, less regulation" and fossil fuels get tax breaks to "save jobs."

So like, is everybody gonna be going back to coal now because of this? Are we gonna see a MASSIVE spike in coal usage over renewables thanks to this?

I feel like this ship has sailed a long time ago and this is just Pruitt throwing a temper tantrum.

Economics have killed coal and it isn't coming back.

Shadybiz

Of course not...it just looks good to the people who don't know any better and fail to educate themselves on the matter (so it looks good to around half of the voting population).

theWB27

Although nearly 60 million people still decided an unqualified sexual predator racist con man was ok with them. And all those that didn't vote because "both sides are just as bad". So yeah still, fucked.

Pretty bonkers. Winning by losing.

Jisgsaw

No better place to make that announcement than Hazard, Kentucky.

I have to admit, the balls of this administration to make their shit openly, and on top of that making fun of it also openly, is pretty impressive...

Which makes me wonder why they still have such relatively high approval ratings.

epmode

???

Gerrymandering has nothing to do with Presedential elections, nor does it with Senate seats.

Correct. The Senate is fucked in another way: Senate votes in the least populated states are worth far more than others. Republicans are spread across the country in smaller numbers while Democrats tend to cluster in certain states. Since every state gets two Senators, Republicans get more representation than their numbers imply.

Mahonay

Banned
It's okay, gerrymandering is also horrible. Just it's something bad both parties do
The party that has control sure is using it to a staggering degree in their favor.

It is pretty crazy that there is no rule to how party biased you are when you draw out voting districts. Literally can do whatever you want.

Vena

This is just step one. Wait until the tax breaks and government investment into renewable energy turns into extra taxes because "small government, less regulation" and fossil fuels get tax breaks to "save jobs."

There is no market. California sets most of these rules as one of the world's largest economies (and heavily favors renewables) and California doesn't give a shit about Pruitt's agenda. California + the rest of the world (where the US can't somehow control renewable markets) makes this a pointless gesture of corruption. The market decided this already, these coal "initiatives" are done and pointless.

"The war on coal" being over is apt, because its been over for the better part of this decade.

Of all the things Pruitt can do from behind his wall of armed bodyguards, this is probably the most pointless. But he's an idiot so...

Meier

On the plus side, the economics of coal are so bad in comparison nowadays that there just isn't a huge demand for it. But fuck these guys.

Coal is a dead industry. Natural Gas is cheaper and easier to extract and renewable options are getting cheaper by the day.

But sure continue to irreversiblly squeeze the earth for some quick money for yourselves.

Vena

Coal is a dead industry. Natural Gas is cheaper and easier to extract and renewable options are getting cheaper by the day.

But sure continue to irreversiblly squeeze the earth for some quick money for yourselves.

Well since the economies of coal are so poor, they won't squeeze much of anything out of this. They can roll back the protections but that doesn't change in the intrinsic lack of demand, low value problem that coal has faced for years.

Trickster

I wonder how all the coal people will feel about this once it's 2020 and they still don't have a job

I wonder how much of a fit he'll through on twitter over that.

This and his reaction when he loses reelection are the only reasons I want to have him around for his entire term

Mahonay

Banned
Sabotage coal plants, derail coal trains, etc.

I can see this happening now from the fringe environmental groups.
Lol you mean the handful of coal plants that still exist? No. It's not needed. Coal is not going to suddenly start making a comeback unless you travel back in time. "Fringe environmental groups" have other actual threats to worry about.

geomon

As DOE seeks to boost coal, Luminant to shut major Texas plant

In the end, Luminant’s decision was not based on environmental regulations and policies, but on market economics. “The market's unprecedented low power price environment has profoundly impacted its operating revenues and no longer supports continued investment,” Curt Morgan, Vistra Energy's president and CEO, said in a statement on Monticello’s closing.

Luminant said it is continuing its reclamation work at the plant's mines, which ceased operation in the spring of 2016. Monticello was fired by lignite from those mines until about two years ago when the plant began to import Powder River Basin coal from Wyoming.

The Sierra Club welcomed the retirement announcement, saying Monticello was one of the dirtiest coal plants in the United States. The environmental organization said Monticello would be the 259th coal plant to retire or announce retirement in the U.S. since 2010. If three more coal plants retire, the U.S. would have half as many operating coal plants as it did seven years ago, the group said.

Welp...

Nokterian

Environmental "Protection" Agency.

Thanks America for voting in a clown that just does the opposite of what Obama did out of spite, the rest of the world really appreciates it.

Everything will get dirty water, no clean air in return!

This is so fucked up..

Top Bottom