• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E10+ rating category added to ESRB video game rating system (pr)

Drakken

Mar 2, 2005 15:42 ET

New Video Game Rating Category, 'E10+,' Added to ESRB Rating System

NEW YORK, March 2 /PRNewswire/ -- A new video game rating category, E10+ (Everyone 10 and older), was introduced today by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), to help consumers more easily differentiate between games that have content appropriate for the whole family and games that are suitable for ages 10 and older.

"The content of computer and video games continues to advance in terms of sophistication, complexity, and graphic quality," said Patricia Vance, president of ESRB. "Given this evolution, the new E10+ rating category will provide consumers, particularly parents, with more precise guidance on the age appropriateness of certain titles, fulfilling our goal of helping ensure that the right games are selected for their children and families."

Vance added that the ESRB consulted numerous child development experts and academicians in creating the E10+ category and found broad agreement with its introduction and the theory underlying it. "Given the significant developmental differences between very young and teen-age children, the E10+ category will be very useful for parents," added Dr. Ralph I. Lopez, Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at the Cornell Medical College, and Author of "The Teen Health Book: A Parent's Guide to Adolescent Health and Well-Being."

Game titles that carry the E10+ rating might contain moderate amounts of cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes. Games appropriate for all ages will continue to receive an E (Everyone) rating.

"We expect that many of the best selling sports, racing, and adventure games will continue to receive E ratings appropriate for ages six and older," said Vance. "Games with content that may not be suitable for younger ages of six to nine, such as racing games with more extreme crashes or fighting games with super heroes, will now receive an E10+ rating," Vance explained.

"Since its establishment in 1994, the ESRB rating system has consistently focused on providing useful information about game content so that parents and other consumers can make informed purchase decisions," Vance said. "This new category, just like the addition of more detailed content descriptors in 2003, reflects our commitment to a rating system that evolves and stays abreast of game content trends, while meeting the needs of consumers."

"The ESRB has once again taken timely steps to enhance its rating system for computer and video games," added U.S. Senator Joseph Lieberman (D-CT). "When used properly and consistently, ESRB ratings continue to be an effective tool for parents to understand the content of video games. I encourage parents to check the rating so that our children can play the video games that are right for them."

icon_e10plus.gif

Fantasmo

Look for this to further skew Nintendo downward. I can conceivably see some of their current E games get E10+. :p

I think it makes perfect sense, a game that is content wise acceptable by all, but might be to complicated for a child under 10 to play. It allows a consumer who actually uses the system to have a more identifiable rating as to content and playabilty maturity of the game.

koam

vireland said:
It's "Everyone 10 and older" and "Everyone 6 and older"

Personally, I think it's retarded.

Yeah it is, it's just stupid, this whole videogames and violence thing is just dumb. We never had that back in my day.

It's not a videogame's fault that killing is fun.

Drakken

Actually, it doesn't have anything to do with difficulty or how complicated it is.

"Games with content that may not be suitable for younger ages of six to nine, such as racing games with more extreme crashes or fighting games with super heroes, will now receive an E10+ rating," Vance explained.

It's basically a distinction between E (Everyone) and T (Teen).

impirius

Let's just put a number on each game and be done with it.

Kirby Air Ride: 1+
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 12+
GTA:San Andreas: 22+
Manhunt: 34+

vireland

I think it makes perfect sense, a game that is content wise acceptable by all, but might be to complicated for a child under 10 to play. It allows a consumer who actually uses the system to have a more identifiable rating as to content and playabilty maturity of the game.

But you're making the assumption that the game is being evaluated and the rating applied by the same party. It is not. The rating is applied by someone at the ESRB who is simply going off sample gameplay videos and a form submitted by the publisher. The publisher may leave out details that don't seem especially important, but would have made the difference between an E and an E10.

The ESRB system does now somewhat sync up with the MPAA ratings (E=G, E10=PG, T=PG-13, M=R, AO=X), and perhaps that was the intent. It's just that the current system has a fair number of cracks in it and splitting the "E" doesn't really fix them.

Since media is converging, it would be nice to let TV and Games adopt the MPAA system that everyone understands and do away with E, E10, T, M, AO, Y, Y7, TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14, etc, etc, etc. The TV and Games rating systems are too fussy and most parents just don't understand them (sad, but true).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So basically they're trying to get Teen games to techinically be rated E (10+), making it more appealing to parents

Pimpwerx

ESRB is so utterly pointless. It was back when it was first proposed, and it's worthless now that it's been in effect for years. It's like those pointless ratings for tv shows. I mean, outside of the few kids who live with overbearing parents, is there really anyone that couldn't get their hands on any game they wanted? 10+? Isn't there a T for Teen rating? So...in those 3 years, someone's gonna become mature enough to play a different type of game? How much money is spent on the ESRB? How can I get in on this scam? :lol PEACE.

junkster said:
Look for this to further skew Nintendo downward. I can conceivably see some of their current E games get E10+. :p
Good point. I can't help but wonder just how much the ESRB's rating system affects people's perception of games. It was the 'M' rating that brought the public to associate the 'mature' with certain types of video games. As long as games are judged on the basis of 'maturity', Nintendo is fucked.

But if the 'T' and 'M' ratings were replaced with something like 10+, 13+, and 17+, then all this talk about 'mature' games (and such content in games) would disappear.

Just got Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and it has the new E10 rating. The only descriptor on the back of the box is "Cartoon Violence".

Alcibiades

I'm not against it in theory or even the intentions they have, I'd be for it in practice, but what a lousy name...

1/2 the game commercials are now gonna have a wacky line "rated 'e' plus ten" or something like that... and the commercials even smell it out "M for mature" or "E for everyone", how are they going to explain this one?

seems to be like they should have kept their K-A meaning everybody AND

either made a K-A13 like the movie to signal older kids

OR

a K-A10 to mean older kids and then kept the normal T-Teen category...

the whole thing is a mess and it's not like the majority of parents pay attention, at this point they are looking to see if it says T or M and those are what can get a purchased blocked in the eyes of parents, why complicate things for them...

Ugh, one of the things I thought was nice about the ESRB was that the ratings were divided pretty clearly, with the primary E, T, and M levels displayed, and Descriptors for the adjustments... Now they've made some muddled mid-way rating to confuse consumers who had trouble grasping the concept as it was, and to force developers to "target" their releases even further. Just like when the PG-13 rating came out in movie theaters, and now we get so many blatant "made for PG-13" and "made for PG" movies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Why wasn't the motion picture (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17) Adopted?
People still to this day have no clue what M or T means

vireland

Why wasn't the motion picture (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17) Adopted?
People still to this day have no clue what M or T means

Like I said, this makes the most sense (for TV *and* games), but because the MPAA controls those ratings and the application of them, I'm sure they wouldn't be too thrilled to share them.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The idea behind this isn't bad, the execution just sucks. In theory this brings ESRB system in-line with how movies are rated:
E = G
E10+ = PG
T = PG13
M = R

I'm sure this is what the ESRB invisioned. If they rated games a little more consistantly and were less willing to be used as a marketing plow, it might work out. There are a lot of T and M rated games that shouldn't be rated as such. Maybe now, they'll tighten the definition of their "T" rating; games like SSBM or almost any Star Wars title don't really justify their rating.

The biggest problem is the name. "Everbody" should mean everybody. The new category is confusing and sounds retarded. They should have made an entirely new category (that "10+" stands out so well in that icon). Perhaps "P" for "Pre-Teen" or "Parental Warning" (I'm assuming there are legal issue preventing a simple "PG" label).

joshschw

saw this on the news and they showed two kids playing Gamecube games. :lol surprise surprise, this is the gamecube mature rating.

Fantasmo

JJConrad said:
The idea behind this isn't bad, the execution just sucks. In theory this brings ESRB system in-line with how movies are rated:
E = G
E10+ = PG
T = PG13
R = M

Um, I have games rated K-A, sounds like PG to me

So I missed this thread the first time around and thought starting a new one would be a bit useless.

I'm trying to get a feel for what E10+ games will actually be like, but there aren't too many examples to go by right now; esrb.org lists Lumines, Madagascar, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Revenge of the Sith GBA, Shaman King Master of Spirits 2 GBA, Dynasty Warriors Advance, and Smartbomb as the only E10+ games. Will E10+ only take a harsher subset of the E games, or might lighter T games show up there as well? I'm thinking of series like Super Smash Bros., where the first game was an E and the second a T. Might they both now be E10+? Or a game like Ocarina of Time which got E, while it seemed like Realda would get a T.

junkster said:
Um, I have games rated K-A, sounds like PG to me
K-A (Kids to Adults) was renamed to E a couple years after the system came into use.

According to my newpaper a while ago, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was supposed to be rated Teen, which was the main reason for this new rating (since they felt a Teen DK game could cause controversy).

Really? What would've landed a T rating for Jungle Beat? I've seen video of the punching sequences with the bosses, but otherwise what I've seen looked like pretty standard platforming attacks, nothing more brutal than a Sonic game (er, pre-"Shadow the Hedgehog")... I picked up the box yesterday, and the only Descriptor listed was "Cartoon Violence."

ManaByte

Kulock said:
Really? What would've landed a T rating for Jungle Beat? I've seen video of the punching sequences with the bosses, but otherwise what I've seen looked like pretty standard platforming attacks, nothing more brutal than a Sonic game (er, pre-"Shadow the Hedgehog")... I picked up the box yesterday, and the only Descriptor listed was "Cartoon Violence."

The punching in the boss fights would've easily gotten a Teen rating.

Pellham said:
ESRB is so fucking pointless
Uh, would you rather the U.S. government dictate what we can play? Because if the video game industry wouldn't have stepped up to the plate by regulating itself, the fucking government would have. ESRB >>> USGov.

ChrisReid

Kulock said:

Yeah, there's some furious punching. Boss fights are typically more dramatic than an E violence rating would allow. There's one hilarious guy later in the game that throws ninja stars or some crap at you. He looks like a cute little bunny. If you stun him with a clap, Donkey Kong can walk over, pick him up by the scruff up the neck and WHACK him in the face. It's great. That's E10.

MASB

JoshuaJSlone said:
K-A (Kids to Adults) was renamed to E a couple years after the system came into use.
Yoshi's Story, released in February 1998, was the first or one of the very first games to get an E rating.

Matlock

Banned
ESRB is a pointless procedure, really.

Game maker sends vid of game to panel, panel rates it on vid of game, rating applied.

It's there to keep the government at bay a bit, and it's worked. But eh.

MASB said:
Yoshi's Story, released in February 1998, was the first or one of the very first games to get an E rating.
Yeah, I guess K-A was around longer than I remembered; scanning over my earlier N64 games I see that indeed late 1997's Diddy Kong Racing was still K-A.

Top Bottom