• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade’s uncensored release in Japan prompts criticism | GM of EA Japan thinks the game's CERO D rating is indicative of double standards

midnightAI

Still doesn’t explain Stellar Blade getting a 17 rating and Dead Space being refused an 18+ rating.
You’re fighting monsters in both. Japan is really that sensitive to monster limb dismemberment?

I’m glad my games aren’t so censored.
No, its human dismemberment they have an issue with.

Dead Space has loads of different gory ways the main character can die.
Stellar Blade has a single limb being cut off (from what seems like a cyborg) (there is probably more but nothing compared to Dead Space)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, its human dismemberment they have an issue with.

Dead Space has loads of different gory ways the main character can die.
Stellar Blade has a single limb being cut off (from what seems like a cyborg) (there is probably more but nothing compared to Dead Space)

So why not fade to black on those scenes like they did with TLoU2’s sex scene?

Couldn’t have been much effort to do. Now the question is did the developer choose not to?

Tams

Expecting consistency and understanding from old Japanese people (usually men) is an exercise in futility.

You'd be better off banging your head against a brick wall until they pass on.

GHG

Wrong, sex is bad in Japan.

Meanwhile there’s adult games galore on the U.S. Steam store.

It's more complicated than that, particularly when it comes to videogames.

Sex is not "bad" in Japan, far from it. The advertisements for prostitution in the more wealthy/business centric districts of cities are typically far more forward and obvious than what you'd typically find in the west. However their relationship with sex in general is a complicated one, increasingly so in recent years.

When it comes to ratings specifically there are circumstances where they will allow nudity/sex, however it will guarantee you a Z rating. Being Z rated means the game gets shoved to the back of stores at retail in small restricted areas that children are not allowed to access at all. Many retailers will even opt to not even bother with Z rated products at all. Example:

So what it means is a dramatically reduced retail presence for the game along with next to no advertising which overall will have a negative impact on sales.

As for violence, they are far more strict when it comes to violence/gore/blood involving humans. Decapitation/dismembering of human subjects is a big no-no and will get your product restricted if not outright banned. They regard that an issue of public safety and it extends across to movies. You can read about the incident that sparked that here:

Skip to the aftermath section for the specifics on what changes were made as far as media content goes.

If you've never been to Japan before I'd strongly suggest visiting, particularly while the Yen is still weak. If you allow yourself to get lost in the culture and speak to the locals a lot of stuff that might seem strange from the outside starts to make sense.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If you've never been to Japan before I'd strongly suggest visiting, particularly while the Yen is still weak. If you allow yourself to get lost in the culture and speak to the locals a lot of stuff that might seem strange from the outside starts to make sense.

I would love to visit. My Aunt and Uncle went last year, and it sounded wonderful.

Reactions: GHG

midnightAI

So why not fade to black on those scenes like they did with TLoU2’s sex scene?

Couldn’t have been much effort to do. Now the question is did the developer choose not to?
I'd say that's highly likely, which makes the original complaint just seem like sour grapes.

Labolas

Hey EA:
O_eDxZTq_MCWr5Ri6rIZqCr21q0MGBtzl_gFBMGA3jfpslRCMh0jJDutnTWbzZPvFGAwOWctjN5-Xoa5s5DZXL_x_0FChJ7eFuEDf3xtlTtLJPV3KhEZ1Braieq2O3CV-VJ5KBTNLO2zt7CZuMgIAhRoMzmcah8

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd say that's highly likely, which makes the original complaint just seem like sour grapes.

If that was their decision to skip an entire region just because they didn’t want to censor some death cinematics, then they’re foolish.

That’s appears to be the case with Callisto Protocol.

Top Bottom