• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 07 - What we know Nintendo is bringing to the table

ziran

With E3 around the corner I thought I'd make a compilation of what we know Nintendo is working on, and has the potential to develop. Thanks to Shikamaru Ninja for most of the 1st Party structure, if he's around, or anybody else has any info, additions would be welcome.

[Updated with more info about Nintendo's internal teams, thanks to Shikamaru Ninja.]

First of all, here's what Iwata had to say when the 2006-07 financial results came out:
...we believe that the video game platform business is a business of momentum. Once you gain momentum, consumers can feel comfortable in choosing your machine. Software makers feel secure to make the applicable titles. These attitudes will further create a positive cycle, like a chain reaction. But if the mood starts to go in the opposite direction, you have to fight against headwind. So, trying to make one brand-new proposal after another in the first and second years, when the platform is still in its infancy, is always important. With the unprecedented challenges our new platforms have, creating launch momentum was critical for both Wii and DS, and I believe it was Nintendo's internal developers' jobs to make that happen. Once our own developers start the momentum, the third-party software makers will expand the applicable software lineup. In my mind, this is the basic structure of how it should be.

Frankly speaking, Wii unfortunately did not receive as much positive anticipation as we had hoped it would before the launch. Accordingly, Nintendo had to rely upon its first-party titles to create the momentum.

As of today, however, between the first-party and second-party titles alone that will be sold under Nintendo's brand name, we have 45 titles for Wii and 79 titles for DS under development. Of course, I cannot say that all these titles will definitely be sold eventually, but these titles were actually given development budgets, specific development teams have been assigned and they are developing the games. So, these titles will be launched one after another.

Back to your question of when we will fulfill the hard-core gamers' titles lineup: It will be from around the end of this summer to the end of this year. We will then launch a new title of Super Mario (Super Mario Galaxy), Smash Brothers (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) and Metroid Prime (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption) although the last one is primarily for the overseas markets. These will be the key titles for the period ranging from the summer until the holiday sales season of this year, and I think we will be able to cater to the specific needs you mentioned.

Ideally, we should have had one such title already in the spring in order to create a better flow. At the same time, we are strongly holding the belief that we must raise the quality level if we need to introduce something new to our customers. We wanted to avoid a situation where these flagship titles were introduced when they were not perfectly tuned up. Please allow us that it is taking time.
So, whether Nintendo reveals a great deal or not, they are working on many titles both internally and with 3rd parties (through 2nd party, per game deals).

Nintendo's 1st party teams

EAD Software Development Group No. 1 - Hideki Konno
(Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS)
Potential for more than one game:
- Wii Health
- Mario Kart Wii probable
- Wii Cooking Game was being worked on

EAD Software Development Group No. 2 - Katsuya Eguchi
(Animal Crossing Wild World, Wii Sports, Wii Play)
- Animal Crossing Wii
- Wii Motor Sports
5xh34wp.jpg

- Wii Music
4u2ralk.jpg

EAD Software Development Group No. 3 - Eiji Aonuma
(Zelda Twilight Princess, Zelda Phantom Hourglass)
- Zelda Wii

EAD Software Development Group No. 4 - Hiroyuki Kimura
(Yoshi Touch & Go, New Super Mario Bros., Big Brain Academy)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a possible title for DS

EAD Software Development Group No. 5 - Takao Shimizu
(Donkey Kong Jungle Beat)
- Super Mario Galaxy
6hd6xz5.jpg

Software Planning and Development Division No. 1 - Yoshio Sakamoto
(Metroid Fusion, Rhythm Tengoku, WarioWare Smooth Moves)
- Metroid Dread DS is a possible title for DS

Software Planning and Development Division No. 2 - Hitoshi Yamagami
(Dr. Mario, Super Princess Peach, Tetris DS)
A small team capable of making one game at a time in house, also works with external developers:
- Dr. Mario Wii has been given an ESRB rating so is a possible title

Software Planning and Development Division No. 3 - Kensuke Tanabe
(Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Battalion Wars)
Supervisory team responsible for many titles including Metroid Prime 3 and Battalion Wars Wii (see below):

Software Planning and Development Division No. 4 - Shinya Takakashi
(Brain Training, English Training, Kanji Training, Band Bros.)
A very prominent group, capable of making more than one game at once:
- Wii Channels

Intelligent Systems
(Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario)
- Adult Face Training DS (with camera)
- New Fire Emblem games for Wii and DS have been hinted at

Game Freak
(Pokémon handheld RPGs, Drill Dozer)
- Pokémon Emerald equivalent for Diamond and Pearl likely to be in development

HAL Laboratory Inc.
(Kirby, Smash Brothers)
- Kirby Wii
6bomaes.jpg

Genius Sonority - Manabu Yamana
(Pokémon XD, Pokémon Trozei, Pokémon Battle Revolution)
- Dragon Quest Swords (with Square Enix and 8ing)
6fqo2eo.jpg

Brownie Brown
(Magical Vacation, Heroes of Mana)

Monolith Soft - Hirohide Sugiura
(Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos)
- New Wii game already hinted at
- Disaster: Day of Crisis
4y79p2g.jpg

Retro Studios - Michael Kelbaugh
(Metroid Prime 1 & 2)
- Working on an unannounced Wii title
- Metroid Prime 3
66t7ytc.jpg

Nintendo Software Technology Corp. - Shigeki Yamashiro
(1080 Avalanche, Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario vs Donkey Kong 2)
- Project H.A.M.M.E.R. - may be cancelled
4yqncxf.jpg

Nintendo Studio (All-Star Smash Group - EAD/HAL Labs/Sora + another team)
Nintendo staff will likely move to the bigger Nintendo Tokyo Office once SBB is completed and continue developing games as a team (e.g. Smash Bros. DS is a possible title):
- Smash Bros. Brawl
4u962qb.jpg

3rd party teams (2nd party agreements) published by Nintendo (possibly or probably managed by SPD 3)

Kuju
(Battalion Wars)
Multiple Wii games in development (thanks to fly high ~ayunite~):
- Battalion Wars Wii
5xewilg.jpg

Paon
(Donkey Kong King of Swing)
- Donkey Kong Jet Race
6boouo3.jpg

Arika
(Street Fighter EX)
- Forever Blue
62p2wy8.jpg

Skip
(Giftpia, Chibi Robo)
- Chibi Robo DS
- Potentially working on a Wii game

Sega
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
- F-Zero Wii or other collaboration, Nagoshi said he could work with Nintendo again

Mistwalker
- ASH (thanks to duckroll)

3rd Parties likely developing games published by Nintendo:

- Artoon - Yoshi's Island Wii has been hinted at by the YIDS producer
- N-Space - Making games/a game for Wii (thanks to thefro)
- Noise - Custom Robo Wii or a new game
- Monster Games - Developed Excite Truck so another Wii title is possible
- Next Level Games - Developed Mario Strikers Charged so another Wii title is possible
- 8ing - Potential for another game in addition to their work on DQS
- Cing - Already working on the Project O joint development and has said they would like to work more on Wii
- Mitchell - Developed many puzzle games for DS, possibly developing a game for Wii
- iNiS - Good with innovative control schemes as seen in Ouendan/EBA, which has become a success, so development on Wii is possible
- Agenda - Developed 42 All Time Classics which has been a big hit, so a similar Wii game is possible
- Namco Bandai - Developed Mario Baseball for GC so a Wii version is possible
- ? - Mario Golf Wii
- ? - Mario Tennis Wii

If a game has already been released in any region I've not included it, like Fire Emblem GoD or Zelda Phantom Hourglass. Interestingly, DS titles are few and far between, with only the possibility of Magkid, the motion sensing DS game, being developed internally.

6heg36g.jpg

3rd party published
http://wiiz.fr/article.php?a=11944
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26402

Wii

Activision
Guitar Hero III
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground

Atari
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Godzilla Unleashed
Jenga

Capcom
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Crave
Brunswick Pro Bowling
Dave Mirra BMX Challenge
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection

D3 Publisher
Ben 10: Protector of Earth
Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution

Disney Interactive Studios
High School Musical: Sing It!

Electronic Arts
Boogie
NBA Live 08
Madden NFL 08
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
Need for Speed ProStreet
EA Playground
MySims
The Simpsons
FIFA 08

Gamecock
Mushroom Men

Konami
To be announced

LucasArts
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Natsume
Harvest Moon Wii

SEGA
The Golden Compass
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

Sierra Entertainment
Crash of the Titans
Geometry Wars: Galaxies

Square Enix
To be announced

Take-Two
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

THQ
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008

Ubisoft
To be announced

Warner Bros. Interactive
Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal

Nintendo DS

Atari
Godzilla Unleashed

Capcom
Mega Man Star Force: Dragon/Leo/Pegasus
Mega Man ZX Advent
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations

Codemasters
Race Driver: Create & Race

Crave
Napoleon Dynamite
Spelling Challenges and More!

D3 Publisher
Ben 10: Protector of Earth
Naruto: Path of the Ninja

Disney Interactive Studios
High School Musical: Makin' the Cut

Electronic Arts
Madden NFL 08
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08
Need for Speed ProStreet
EA Playground
MySims
The Simpsons
FIFA 08

Gamecock
Dementium: The Ward
Mushroom Men
Insecticide

Konami
To be announced

LucasArts
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Majesco Entertainment
Fish Tycoon
Holly Hobbie & Friends
Nancy Drew and the Deadly Secret of Olde World Park
Operation: Vietnam
Turn it Around
The Wild West

Natsume
Harvest Moon 2
Harvest Moon DS Cute
Math Play
Puzzle de Harvest Moon
River King: Wonderland
Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon

SEGA
The Golden Compass
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Sierra Entertainment
Geometry Wars: Galaxies

Square Enix
To be announced

Take-Two
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

Ubisoft
To be announced

Warner Bros. Interactive
Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
We should make a list of games that have been announced since after E3 06 and compare that to how many first party titles have shipped. That ought to give us an idea of the volume to expect.

I think they announced hardly anything for about a year (didn't really have to), so I think we might be in for a treat along with all the games announced last year that haven't shipped yet.

Great post.

Is there really a smaller amount of DS titles coming from Nintendo? The quote from Iwata says 79 are in development already.

Edit: If all those titles are nearly out, I'll be satisfied with my Nintendo fix for a long time. Seeing how Nintendo has been so silent, we're probably going to see original VC stuff, third party bombshells, and even more 1st party efforts.

we'll probably see a new mario game for the DS akin to new super mario bros

and what about nintendo puzzle collection? they never released outside of japan right? maybe that's what the Dr. Mario Wii ESRB rating is about, they'll probably release puzzle collection for the wii with online matches

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ziran said:
EAD Software Development Group No. 4 - Hiroyuki Kimura
(Yoshi Touch & Go, New Super Mario Bros., Big Brain Academy)

EAD Software Development Group No. 5 - Takao Shimizu
(Donkey Kong Jungle Beat)
- Super Mario Galaxy
I really hope either of these guys are working on a 2.5D Metroid for Wii or DS.
or both

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sega, Akira, and Kuju aren't 2nd party BTW, they don't make games exclusively for Wii.

Your list also seems to really under represent the DS (just like Nintendo's first party studios are).

Scrow said:
I really hope either of these guys are working on a 2.5D Metroid for Wii or DS.
Why would EAD make a Metroid game?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm curious to see if things like HAMMER and Disaster still exist. When I first saw Project HAMMER I immediately felt that the game would never see the light of day. I think many other people got the same feeling... It had that unexplainable 'we don't know what we're doing' vibe to it. There are rumors of it being cancelled, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I kinda got the same vibe from Disaster, but we'll see.

Neo C.

It seems there is enough capacity for a brand new game/franchise (Wii Music and Co. are already known). I really hope for one or two surprises. :D

E-phonk

Banned
There are some expected announcements/previews to be made (animal crossing, mario kart, kirby are three semi-confirmed titles for 2008). I also noticed that has been a while since they released a Wii Channel. We had 1 channel/month till april or something (if you seperate browser beta and browser final) - but since then they didn't release anything. Miyamoto hinted at a "Mii popularity" channel, but I'm quite sure they are working on more stuff.

Also, expect the WiiWare thing to be revealed/launched at or around E3. We know it's coming and nintendo might have a few unexpected gamesurprises there - since I believe they will put quite some effort there: itprintsmoney.gif

AniHawk

immy said:
someone do this for sony and microsoft.

All I know is that Killzone 2 is in the works, Naughty Dog is making their next wonderful looking failure of a game, and Insomniac is kicking ass as usual. Oh, and Polyphony Digital is making GT5 for the PS3 and GT4 for the PSP.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
NOISE isn't 3rd party and what makes everyone think Project HAMMER was canceled?
Also there was a Kirby wii game shown on that reel from the japanese nintendo world thing.

I don't know what to do with myself...an E3 thread that's actually informative!

Thanks, OP!

I had forgotten about Wii Motor Sports; isn't it supposed to have a Waverace-esque mode?

E-phonk

Banned
KimiSan said:
what makes everyone think Project HAMMER was canceled?
There were rumours a few weeks ago, that it got cancelled. It's not really surprising since all the impressions from those who played it were pretty meh.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
KimiSan said:
what makes everyone think Project HAMMER was canceled?
http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/796/796612p1.html

US, June 14, 2007 - Insiders close to development studio NST allege to IGN that the software company's Wii action title, tentatively titled Project H.A.M.M.E.R., has been terminated by publisher Nintendo. Sources further claim that the team formerly working on the title is now underway with one or more efforts that fall into the "expanded audience" lineup of games.

It's funny how nearly all the big games they had on display last year will be on display again this year. They can let the big three be in focus yet again and hold back on any new games. Nintendo really needs to hire more developers.

Kuju have two more Wii games in development. From their website...
Welcome to Kuju London! The London office was opened in 2000 as the second of five Kuju studios, and has three games in development for a first party publisher, two of which are yet to be announced. If you would like to get in contact with Kuju London, then please contact us!

http://www.kujulondon.com/

E-phonk

Banned
Zerodoppler said:
It's funny how nearly all the big games they had on display last year will be on display again this year. They can let the big three be in focus yet again and hold back on any new games. Nintendo really needs to hire more developers.
last years focus was on zelda and wii sports. Watch the presentation again.

ziran

Thanks for the positive comments :)

beelzebozo said:
when is e3 starting, again?
It starts July 11th.

jj984jj said:
Sega, Akira, and Kuju aren't 2nd party BTW, they don't make games exclusively for Wii.

Your list also seems to really under represent the DS (just like Nintendo's first party studios are).
If you look above Sega, Arika and Kuju it says 3rd party teams (2nd party agreements), meaning they're 3rd parties, but have a publishing deal with Nintendo for a specific co-developed/supervised game.

I've had a look for DS titles but could only find a few to be published by Nintendo, but as Iwata said they have 79 games in development I think many titles will be announced at E3.

Fourth Storm said:
What about Matsuno's game for Wii? Has it ever been figured out which company he is with nowadays?
While it's common to say Matsuno's with Monolith Soft to annoy people, I think there could be some truth to it. He seems to be developing a Wii game and Monolith Soft is recruiting, so he might be there, or working with the team just for one game.

drohne said:
maybe they're counting each minigame individually
It's more likely Nintendo's counting them by those made to piss you off in some way, so you continue to lament at the death of gaming. Which I think is really nice of them.

KimiSan said:
NOISE isn't 3rd party...
I thought I would only put the teams I know for sure as 1st parties. Afaik Noise was part of Marigul, the company set up to gain 3rd party support for N64, so they could be a Nintendo 1st party, but info is scarce. I think having them as a 3rd party who usually works with Nintendo through 2nd party agreements is okay.

thefro said:
N-Space is making game(s) for Wii for Nintendo, so add them.
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Kuju have two more Wii games in development. From their website...

http://www.kujulondon.com/
Thanks.

E-phonk said:
last years focus was on zelda and wii sports. Watch the presentation again.
Yeah, this year I think Wii Health and Wii Music are going to have a big presence, and probably Mario Galaxy and maybe Smash Bros.

We'll probably see several brand new games for Wii from Nintendo.

Tristam

Sweet thread. I had forgotten about the "45 first party titles for Wii" part in the financial report.

ziran said:
- Artoon - Yoshi's Island Wii (hinted at by YIDS producer)

Make it happen, and please make it as godly as the original.

Pikmin 3 would obviously be nice too.

Jammy

Banned
What is Intelligent Systems working on? They were gold soon after the Wii launch (Wario Ware: SM, Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem: GoD), and with three games all done and released, I wonder what they're cooking up now. IntSys is a great developer and every one of their games I've played is an easy 85% rated game, so I can't wait to see what's up.

I also really want to see Forever Blue.

Speevy

Banned
Has anyone heard for sure whether Animal Crossing will actually be there?

I don't follow the Nintendo scene much anymore, but what is the real likelihood of its appearance?

Top Bottom