• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2016: What Games will Nintendo announce / tease for NX

Pokemaniac

Yet he knew pretty much everything else about the Wii U & the 3DS. And if you read Trev's post, he was notified about a cross-gen Zelda U because the marketing budget could be transferred to the NX counterpart. Why would they not do the same for a cross-gen Sun/Moon? And as stated earlier, given the info that we got, we're probably getting the NX Console this holiday season while the NX Handheld is likely due out by Early 2017 (assuming that the shared platform rumor/theory pans out). In this case, Game Freak has no reason to give the NX Platform a Pokémon game if there's no NX Handheld on store shelves.

Really though, the thing you should be latching on to is the fact that it was announced for 3DS. With how vague that trailer is already, it would have changed nothing if they simply didn't mention that.

Zalman

The Future
The range from past console unveils is between 7 - 11 first-party projects accompanying the premier software reel. Applying that to this years E3 debut:

Project NX - E32016
1. Super Smash Bros. for NX
2. The Legend of Zelda for NX
3. Pikmin 4
4. Action Game from Mario Galaxy Team

5. Super Mario Maker DX
6. Mini-Game Compilation from Wii Sports Team?
7. Mini-Game Compilation from WarioWare Team?
8. Surprise Game from Nintendo / RetroStudios?
9. Surprise Game from Nintendo / MonolithSoft?
Pretty much nailed it. Smash Bros., Zelda, Pikmin 4, 3D Mario and Retro Studios are the main ones I'm thinking.

I agree that I don't think Monolith will show anything yet. I also think it's too early for another Mario Maker. EAD/EPD Tokyo's 3D Mario will be enough for launch (window), I feel.

Regarding Splatoon: I don't think it's time for that yet, but I think they'll announce it next year.

There has also been some speculation regarding a second game from Next Level Games, which would be nice to see.

Neoxon

Really though, the thing you should be latching on to is the fact that it was announced for 3DS. With how vague that trailer is already, it would have changed nothing if they simply didn't mention that.
True, but they also announced Zelda U for the Wii U. The argument that KingBroly is making is that Sun/Moon would be a 3DS/NX cross-gen release, which is exactly what I'm countering.

wrowa

It's too early for a full-fledged Splatoon 2, but I can see something like a Splatoon 1.5 happening. Considering how successful Splatoon is - especially in Japan - I'd assume that Nintendo wants to have that game on NX sooner rather than later. However, with Zelda U almost definitely being cross-gen and Smash apparently getting an NX port as well, it might not be a good idea to start with three former Wii U games into the generation.

Generally speaking, though, I don't think the list in the OP would be enough to generate the amount of excitement Nintendo currently needs. It would convince Nintendo fans, but apart of that it's just too safe.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I could see a small tease from Monolith
if they're really making a direct sequel to X.

Pokemaniac

Fair argument, but they also announced Zelda U for the Wii U. Their argument is that Sun/Moon would be a 3DS/NX cross-gen release, which is exactly what I'm countering.

Pokemon is really unlikely to ever go the cross-gen route. Especially between two gens with such different online infrastructures.

Neoxon

It's too early for a full-fledged Splatoon 2, but I can see something like a Splatoon 1.5 happening. Considering how successful Splatoon is - especially in Japan - I'd assume that Nintendo wants to have that game on NX sooner rather than later. However, Zelda U almost definitely being cross-gen and Smash apparently getting an NX port as well, it might not be a good idea to start with three former Wii U games into the generation.
Launch window
Splatoon remaster
But consider that Splatoon as we know it took a little over a year to make. With major development ending after January 2016, Nintendo would be better off waiting for a sequel to be finished & released in 2017. No use for Nintendo to take their own money.

Ktg1973

Banned
Day 1 at any price if:

-New Mario
-Zelda
-Mario remastered collection (Sunshine+Galaxy1+2 in HD)
-Splatoon 2
-Mario Kart X (let's jump over 9!)
-New Pilot Wings
-New 1080
-New Wave Race
-New F-Zero
-1/2 New IP
-All NES, SNES, N64, GAMECUBE, WII titles available for download since the day 1

Rodin

Launch
The Legend of Zelda NX ("confirmed" by trev)
Super Smash Bros. for NX Definitive Edition ("confirmed" by serkan toto)
New ip to show off the new gimmick
Pikmin 4 (confirmed by Miyamoto)
Maybe a Paper Mario: Color Splash port
Some third parties ports

Launch window
New 3D Mario (confirmed that EAD Tokyo is working on it)
Beyond Good & Evil 2 (rumored)
Final Fantasy XIV ("confirmed" by Square)

Within the first year
amiibo game
Animal Crossing (launches with the portable)
Dragon Quest XI ("confirmed" by Square)
Final Fantasy XV (if the hardware is good enough)
Retro's new project
Splatoon remaster
Super Mario Maker remaster
Other stuff from other teams

EDIT:
But consider that Splatoon as we know it took a little over a year to make. With major development ending after January 2016, Nintendo would be better off waiting for a sequel to be finished & released in 2017. No use for Nintendo to take their own money.

I put it there because they may want to sell it to those people who never owned a Wii U, to increase the hype and the fanbase for the sequel.

Neoxon

Pokemon is really unlikely to ever go the cross-gen route. Especially between two gens with such different online infrastructures.
And I agree with you. I'm just using the stuff we know right now about both the nature of Trev's leak & how Game Freak typically operates to prove why such a cross-gen release is unlikely to happen.

Malus

I do hope that whenever Monolithsoft is ready to show their game they show it at E3 instead of a Direct. It's sure to get massive hype going by X's trailer reaction.

RK128

I think we will get the following :D.

1) Legend of Zelda - Wii U November Release/NX Launch Game
2) 3D Mario Adventure - NX Launch Window Game
3) Pikmin 4 - NX Launch Window Game
4) WarioWare & Wii Sports Team Titles - NX Launch Games
5) Metroid - NX Launch Window Game
6) Smash Brothers NX - NX Launch Game
7) BC With Wii U and 3DS
8) 3rd Party Support with Major JP Publishers - SEGA, Bandai-Namco, Capcom, Atlus, ect
9) 3rd Party Support with some Major Western Publishers at launch - Activision, Ubisoft and EA
10) Two Major Exclusives: 1 Western (Ubisoft - Beyond Good & Evil 2) and 1 JP (Platinum - Bayonetta 3/Capcom - Nintendo vs. Capcom)

Choomp

Banned
Zelda, Smash, 3D Mario Title, Animal Crossing and what'd be really awesome would be a Punch Out game. That'd be a dream for me

Something also I think Nintendo should make is a main, hub sort of game almost like Skylanders style
game for amiibo

Fredrik

This thread got me thinking, NX is rumored to arrive this year, a november launch would mean that it's just 7 months away, but we still know nothing at all about the hardware or input method and not even if it's a console or handheld and we don't even know a single game coming for it either. Has this happened before in this industry??

Don't expect too much. Nintendo doesn't have that many studios and after the Wii U they need hard release dates for their games imo.
If you announce a 3D Mario, you have to give a release window, otherwise it can be years and years away.

I personally hope for Zelda NX, Splatoon 2 and a 3D Mario, plus BC. That would be a good fit and considering the small install base the Wii U had, I imagine that people would buy and enjoy the AAA Wii U games. Games like 3D world, Splatoon, Pikmin 3, New Mario U, Mario Kart 8 could sell millions if the NX is a success. It's a no brainer, if it wasn't for the gamepad. Don't know how you can emulate that with a normal controller (if they have a normal controller).

And their will be a few third parties (timed) exclusives, Ubisoft is a good guess and Platinum is also rumored. Both companies have a good track record with Nintendo consoles imo.

Neoxon

This thread got me thinking, NX is rumored to arrive this year, a november launch would mean that it's just 7 months away, but we still know nothing at all about the hardware or input method and not even if it's a console or handheld and we don't even know a single game coming for it either. Has this happened before in this industry??
Blame Nintendo's super-strict NDAs. Barring Iwata's old quotes about the future of Nintendo platforms, the occasional report by the likes of Wall Street Journal, or a leak from someone like Trev, we barely know anything about the platform.

RK128

Zelda, Smash, 3D Mario Title, Animal Crossing and what'd be really awesome would be a Punch Out game. That'd be a dream for me

Something also I think Nintendo should make is a main, hub sort of game almost like Skylanders style
game for amiibo

I think the Warioware team might be making the amiibo game; they could make some fun mini game collection linked to different game IP tied to different Amiibo or make a 3D game with some help from another studio or something.

Zalman

We didn't really know about the Xbox One until its reveal in May. I mean, we knew Microsoft had a console coming, but they're also much more predictable than Nintendo.

Sadist

Hmmm...

- The Legend of Zelda U NX Edition
- Pikmin 4
- Ultimate Super Smash Bros. for NX (All DLC characters included)
- 3D Mario by Nintendo Tokyo
- Retro Studios: either Metroid or Eternal Darkness II Sanity Drainer
- Wii Sports/Nintendo Land team: Game demonstrating the fun of the NX family of systems (fun in your living room and on the move, it connects)
- One game nobody was expecting

Benched: Monolith, Mario Kart team, Animal Crossing team and Next Level Games. Future talk.

- Exclusive game with either Capcom or Sega
- Crazy collab with a third party

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I think the Warioware team might be making the amiibo game; they could make some fun mini game collection linked to different game IP tied to different Amiibo or make a 3D game with some help from another studio or something.

I'm thinking that Wii Play Motion / Street Pass DLC team is making that N-Stars game.

Fredrik

Blame Nintendo's super-strict NDAs. Barring Iwata's old quotes about the future of Nintendo platforms, the occasional report by the likes of Wall Street Journal, or a leak from someone like Trev, we barely know anything about the platform.
I know their NDAs are strict but leaks usually happens anyway but this time ut feels like not a single teaser leak has been confirmed, we really know nothing, and the console or handheld or both are supposedly arriving this year. It's crazy when you think about it.

Malus

I still dream of an animal crossing game with Sweet Day graphics.

I'm also bracing myself for the wave of disappointment if Retro announces anything other than:

1.) A Metroid Prime game

or

2.) A mature, realistic looking action adventure game

I just want it to be a 3D game. Preferably of the platformer variety.

Just remembered you were banned before, welcome back shikamaru.

Not

Banned
Wii U had the worst game announcements ever. The most exciting thing was a Zelda title we never got.

We'll they did it once with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Blue/Red rescue team. Red was for GBA Blue was for DS, two completely different hardwares with one with online functionality and the other without. So who knows but for mainline games highly unlikely.

Fredrik

We didn't really know about the Xbox One until its reveal in May. I mean, we knew Microsoft had a console coming, but they're also much more predictable than Nintendo.
That's true. An Xbox is an Xbox. Same goes for Playstation, they can't really stray too far away from what people think defines a PlayStation before they have to make it a secondary platform and call it something else. But there is nothing that defines a Nintendo console, it can be anything really. Kinda scary. But still exciting.

In a perfect world:

New Super Mario Bros. (reboot of the series)

Amiibo Land (Amiibo-focused Nintendo Land sequel, uses all amiibo except for Shovel Knight and the Pokémon amiibo)

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

World of Final Fantasy

Pokémon Shuffle World

Mortal Kombat XL

Mega Man Legacy Collection

Whatever the new Zelda game is called

Anth0ny

As nice as it would be, I don't think we'll see EAD Tokyo's Mario at launch. They will save that for next year, just like the Wii. And like the Wii, this thing will launch with a cross gen Zelda and a tech demo game to show off the unique hardware.

Kouriozan

I hope N°7 is a real Wario Ware, also kinda hoping for Hyrule Warriors 2 but that might be early, I'd say a reveal in a Direct at the end of this year is more likely.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wii U had the worst game announcements ever. The most exciting thing was a Zelda title we never got.

It was terrible. It essentially looked like Nintendo was re-releasing their Wii games on a controller. Then third parties were doing the same with their XBOX 360 line ups.

18-Volt

Launch:
- Zelda
- Splatoon Ultimate Edition
- Smash 4 Ultimate
- Excite <something>
- Mario 3D World 2
- Mario Sports Mix 2 (with cute FF characters including Noctis)

For first year:
- Kid Icarus 2
- New Fire Emblem
- Metroid Prime 4
- Pikmin 4
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 (published by Nintendo)
- Timesplitters 4 (developed by Crytek, published by Nintendo)
- Body Harvest 2 (developed by Rockstar, published by Nintendo)
- Megaman Legends 2 (joint effort, published by Nintendo)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Zelda NX, Splatoon 2, Pikmin 4.

Pretty sure about those 3, there is also chance for some surprise but is hard to say...

deleted

My guess for a showing at E3:

• Animal Crossing (started Dev on Wii U, change of plans bring it to NX) - online posterchild
  • Pikmin 4 (making use of the new hardware feature) - weird one
  • Smash NX (port with maybe one stage-pool for both versions, maybe 1-2 new characters) - safe one
  • Next Mario (3D, maybe Mario 128, maybe Galaxy 3 in terms of design - I think 128 is more likely the way things are at N64 nostalgia wise) - must have
  • Retro's New One (maybe Metroid, maybe Donkey, maybe new - Donkey with King K. Rool and Kremlings for Nintendos 2D gameplay dip in the lineup, Metroid for obvious reasons or something new that fits the lineup) - should have, nostalgia title
  • One Party title, but not in focus of the presentation (Maybe Nintendoland 2, maybe NX Party) - casual
  • Beyond Good & Evil 3rd party exclusive (to bind and attract more 3rd parties to the system, not necessarily BG&E, could be something else, but will be exclusive) - 3rd party exclusive
  • Zelda Wii U port - zelda

That's what I find reasonable. I'd love to see some franchises that need a new appearance and in HD to begin with.

• Pilotwings NX
  • Wave Race NX
  • F-Zero NX
  • 1080° NX
  • Bomberman NX (64 style)

Not at all realistic, but any combination of 3 of these titles would bring a lot of interest to the console - at least in my opinion. All genres that are not on the other competitors, all gone since GCN or longer from consoles, perfect to get the west interested again who lost interest in Nintendo's non casual games after the N64 era.

Zalman

As nice as it would be, I don't think we'll see EAD Tokyo's Mario at launch. They will save that for next year, just like the Wii. And like the Wii, this thing will launch with a cross gen Zelda and a tech demo game to show off the unique hardware.
Considering Pikmin 4 and Retro's game are likely to be ready at or near launch, saving 3D Mario for next year makes sense. Especially if Zelda and Smash ports are coming too. No need to put out everything at once. I still think they'll show the Mario game though to get people hyped.

Kimawolf

I have a feeling we'll be getting a Retro Studios game, but it won't be Metroid. I think it'll be a new, mature game, something similar to Perfect Dark.

RK128

Launch:
- Zelda
- Splatoon Ultimate Edition
- Smash 4 Ultimate
- Excite <something>
- Mario 3D World 2
- Mario Sports Mix 2 (with cute FF characters including Noctis)

For first year:
- Kid Icarus 2
- New Fire Emblem
- Metroid Prime 4
- Pikmin 4
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 (published by Nintendo)
- Timesplitters 4 (developed by Crytek, published by Nintendo)
- Body Harvest 2 (developed by Rockstar, published by Nintendo)
- Megaman Legends 2 (joint effort, published by Nintendo)

Um.....I think you mean Legends 3 buddy XD!

I don't think Timesplintters and Body Harvest 2 are happening, but I can see Beyond Good & Evil 2 happen, considering recent rumors.

Never considered a new Mario Sports Mix.....but that would be a nice way to introduce new FF characters (Lighting, Notcis, ect) to Nintendo fans :).

I hope they hold off with 2D Mario for at least 6 months

I feel like being a launch game and coming out a few months after NSMB2, NSMBU was overshadowed and quickly cast aside despite the fact that it is a great Mario platformer.

Nintendo said that they need to look for a new way go play 2D Super Marios, now that u can make your own levels with Mario Maker. So I doubt we will see a new entry in the New Super Mario Bros series for a LONG time.

Some Nintendo teams are already working a LONG time on unannoumced titles so MAYBE we will see some suprises we aren't thinking of yet.
F-Zero...;^;

RPGam3r

From Nintendo (assuming this is a handheld/console work together thing) I just want:

Mario Maker
Zelda
Pokemon

Anything else is icing.

Now if this thing has third party and it lets me play games on the go and at home than I would love to see The Witcher 3, Fallout 4.

Roo

IMO and realistically speaking, they'll announce:

- 3D Mario game
- Zelda U port
- Retro's new game
- Pikmin 4
- Smash Wii U/3DS (?) port
- Random party/sport/compilation game

Now, this doesn't mean they'll be launch/launch window games but all of those seem pretty logical (to announce) at this E3 considering a) the time each team has had ever since their last game b) based on the rumors we've heard in the past months like the Smash and Zelda ports.

Those are basically the safe bets of the bunch.
Past that they could announce literally anything like Luigi's Mansion 3, more Wii U ports, Mario Kart 9, etc, etc but those are wilder cards.

Neoxon

We'll they did it once with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Blue/Red rescue team. Red was for GBA Blue was for DS, two completely different hardwares with one with online functionality and the other without. So who knows but for mainline games highly unlikely.
That's the thing, Mystery Dungeon wasn't a mainline game.

Top Bottom