• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Cancelled for Next Year and "Forseeable Future"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
WasabiKing said:
it's shrinking because the organizers are in a real catch-22 right now.

1. They were committed to keeping it to qualified members, which is a great idea, but that drops the numbers down. Some exhibitors think this is great, others, especially new pubs/devs, might not like it because they just want the pub.

2. I'm guessing the re-sign rate was abnormally low this year. Generally, re-signs happen during the 1st or 2nd day of the conference. It may just be that some of the larger exhibitors are buying less space. Or worse, one of the big ones may be pulling out. There's always talk about EA leaving every year to start their own event, but I don't think they're equipped to do it just yet. But if you start to see more press junkets over at EA Redwood Shores, it could mean that they're cutting back on E3.

#2 is exactly what is happening. Between Hot Summer Nights, the now yearly Madden event, they can throw in a third event and cover everything. Why spend the money on travel and accomodations for E3 for all of their attending employees, and then booths, setups, etc.? No real reason.

Zenith

Banned
Amir0x said:
That means instead of E3, we'll get mini megatons every other month of the year!

Hurray!

That sucks, I don't want constant background buzz, I want a huge climax.

plus events like E3 force devs out from the constraints from their shit PR campaigns. everyone puts something on show for E3, even if it wasn't in the plan. Would we have gotten as many MGS trailers if Konami didn't feel it had to put one out at each E3+TGS? plus how many gaming sites would have gotten a hands-on with a Wii or PS3 if it weren't for E3? Nintendo can't send a console to every single one.

Ranger X

Actually i think it's very bad. E3 was a great source or info and also a place where games are being PLAYED instead of killing us by tricky PR shit and doctored shots.

Now we will bath in the fury of advertisements and IGN fake money hats reviews. no tks.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So...when is PS Meeting then? :lol :lol :lol

Its quite shocking news...I wonder if it'll affect TGS, maybe they decide to go the same way or it becomes even bigger...

TGS isn't going to become bigger, it's going to merge with the Tokyo Anime Fair and World Hobby Fair instead. I think the people behind all the conventions are starting to realize that these huge game conventions just aren't worth it economically.

Amir0x

Banned
Matix said:
Which means more unconfirmed hints from Massive Attack & Friends.... I expect even more disappointment ;(

hahahaha. it's surprising just how little i care, but i guess it's because i've never really been to E3 so i don't have some connection to it. What this DOES mean is that all GAFers have to plan a big LA party meet for 3 days of drunken fun :D

Vieo

Y2Kevbug11 said:
First TGS and now E3 negative news?

I wouldn't really mind E3 shrinking. I don't think anyone in the industry would mind it shrinking, either. Poor writers have to brave massive crowds of people that shouldn't even be there, then do their jobs and basically work all night.

Shiggy said:
After all these news, yes.

What was the bad TGS news? Someone tell me. =P

****, I always wanted to go to E3...well, not like I ever had a way to get in, but still...now I´ll never have a chance. :(

BTW, what TGS news??

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well the article says that publishers were pulling out because the return was too small, and instead will focus on much smaller company-focused events. That means instead of E3, we'll get mini megatons every other month of the year!

Hurray!

You're hoping. Unless the big three really do have individual confrences and make deals with third parties to show off their specific games they are screwed. I can only think of a handful that may be able to pull off confrences of their own like Capcom or Square-Enix.

If they keep their confrences this wouldn't be so bad news.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, that's the only thing I'll miss. The press conferences (which means regular meetings from Sony, Nintendo, and MS maybe?)...and the GAF fun.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
right or wrong, it just seems sad.
it's like someone cancelled gaming christmas.

crying.jpg

why santa why?!

The only place in the real world where Nintendo is better than Sony is destroyed now. No PSP/DS discussions allowed here please. :D

...joke...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
xsarien said:
I'm sure the NeoGAF servers are quietly celebrating.

Wasn't the point of getting new servers so GAF wouldn't crash at E3? We've lost the F-word AND E3 now! Noooooooo!!

kablooey

Mejilan said:
Man, I'll miss having so much awesome on GAF concentrated within 3 or 4 days.
Ditto. Even if I don't follow videogames as much during the rest of the year, E3 on GAF is just one of those spectacles you can't miss. I like the idea of having one event in which everything is revealed for good, and no holds are barred.

RIP E3 :(

heavenly

It's ashame Nintendo didn't go all out John Blazingon on their alleged, last "true" E3. Would have been nice.

And it's ashame Sony will not have a chance to redeem themselves.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Great, now we're just going to have a bunch of small events with news throughout the year. Oh wait...

xsarien

daedsiluap
heavenly said:
It's ashame Nintendo didn't go all out John Blazingon on their alleged, last "true" E3. Would have been nice.

And it's ashame Sony will not have a chance to redeem themselves.

I'm sure they'll find other ways to show us their boring as all hell Powerpoint slides.

people: the games industry is going downhill severely
gaf: NO YOU ARE JUST STUPID NINTENDO FANBOYS YOU ARE DUMB THE INDUSTRY IS BETTER THAN EVER
e3: fuck it, i'm out
gaf: SOUNDS GOOD

bluemax

Banned
Man the last two years I got wait listed for a chance to go, and next year I really had a chance and what do they do? Cancel the whole show. Sigh.

GeoramA

Speevy said:
Sony: "Why didn't this happen after last year's?"
Yeah, they should have just waited and announced the price at TGS, only 2 months before the PS3 launches. That would've made people a lot happier...

border

Awful news. This really bodes poorly for the state of the industry.

Hopefully there can be a scaled-back event for smaller publishers and developers.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
acidviper said:
Well stop giving out swag and paying for booth whores.

It's worse than that. Does anyone remember that giant TV-globe Sony had a few years back? They had to cool it with like dry ice? That cost so much.

I don't think it necessarily means the industry is in trouble, but E3 was a costly waste for too many companies. A large show like E3 without the fanfare, massive crowds, and huge booth cost would have been better.

http://junglescene.com/photos/image_detail.php?mid=46&Id=1009

There's a pic there. It's just so extravagant.

xsarien

daedsiluap
border said:
Awful news. This really bodes poorly for the state of the industry.

How is it bad that it's gotten big enough that E3 has essentially "not large enough" to get them the publicity they want.

Smaller events dedicated to one or a few publishers is probably the best solution.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So...when is PS Meeting then? :lol :lol :lol

Its quite shocking news...I wonder if it'll affect TGS, maybe they decide to go the same way or it becomes even bigger...

I've always been jealous of US gamers because E3 is always more important than TGS...but now...wtf?

Kittonwy

Banned
Now publishers can have even more control over the way they show their games, no more having to rush an E3 build just to be there and risk giving the wrong impression, especially for demos that don't thrive well at the busy and rushed atmosphere at the show. Now instead of "who wins E3", we'll just see the games as they come.

thefro

Kittonwy said:
Now publishers can have even more control over the way they show their games, no more having to rush an E3 build just to be there and risk giving the wrong impressions. Now instead of "who wins E3", we'll just see the games as they come.

Yep, they can pay off 1up/gamespot/IGN/other mags and show the games in private, without those "meddling bloggers" actually playing the games too and revealing they suck. Hype a crappy game up with their target render trash, run some ads on TV, and not give out advance copies for review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom