• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access early limited-time game access is for 6 hours with the full game

I've been playing Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2 for the last couple of days. Getting 5 hours a few days before release of Madden is somehow a bad thing. For me the vault games alone are worth more than the $30 a year I just paid. My only concern would be how long I would have to wait before new vault games were unlocked.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
DUDE!!!!!
I like the forward way you are thinking

what they should do, is if I buy after trialing, let me continue play.

now, you ea guys can ask microsoft to mask my activity in friendlist or even disable the 'record that' function until release, if you like. maybe I can understand that.
I am a good customer for ea that buys their good games and has yearly sub. so accommodate me better god damit Peter Moore!! :D

thanks, yeah i got the EA Access because i liked The Vault and i can't wait for more games to be added :) but they should of just made the early access games, like the season ticket 2 days early :) but that's just me lol.
I wonder? if EA might bring the Season Ticket to xbox one lol, please don't EA, i don't want to pay $25 just for you guys to laugh at us and say! we could of just added it to EA Access lol.

xblarcade

I read it correctly, they gave free demos in years past. The bottom line is they won't this year, and expect people to pay to demo the game.

What this thread is about is NOT a demo. They do not expect anyone to pay for a demo. As a (small) part of the EA Access program, they are letting subscribers to play the ENTIRE game for up to 6 hours before it is released.

What this thread is about is NOT a demo. They do not expect anyone to pay for a demo. As a (small) part of the EA Access program, they are letting subscribers to play the ENTIRE game for up to 6 hours before it is released.

Is it unlimited after the release?

shanew21

Is it unlimited after the release?

If you purchase the game. Only vault games will be included in the subscription. You do, however get 10% off if you decide to purchase the full game. If you time it right you can actually get 6 hours of Madden, NHL, and FIFA before release, access to the vault for the month, and 10% off ($6 each) all three in a one month subscription for $5.

elektrixx

Banned
It's better this way for EA. No subscriber would buy their games otherwise because they would be finishing games the week before release.

How does 6 hours for $5 compare to PlayStation Now?

Every MADDEN Demo in the past gave you more hours. You had unlimited play. Last years Season's Pass gave you unlimited access to the game 3 days before release. That's what the problem is.

Again, this not that program. Two, majority of publishers stop doing demo's. Three, it sucks and that's the stance this industry took on demo's. No mas.

It's better this way for EA. No subscriber would buy their games otherwise because they would be finishing games the week before release.

How does 6 hours for $5 compare to PlayStation Now?
By my count, out of the 122 games in the PlayStation Now library on PS4, 95 of them can be rented for seven days at a time, and the average cost of renting each of these games individually is $5.65, or about $0.81 a day
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/01/for-weekly-rentals-playstation-nows-pricing-is-reasonable

Leb

Well, if one of the big publishers had to get caught up in a proxy war between platform partisans, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving company than EA.

Which doesn't change the fact that this is still a silly proxy war.

If you purchase the game. Only vault games will be included in the subscription. You do, however get 10% off if you decide to purchase the full game. If you time it right you can actually get 6 hours of Madden, NHL, and FIFA before release, access to the vault for the month, and 10% off ($6 each) all three in a one month subscription for $5.

Sorry I'm confused. So there's a game side and a demo side to the program? The demos are limited but the full games arnt if they are included in the vault?

Sorry I'm confused. So there's a game side and a demo side to the program? The demos are limited but the full games arnt if they are included in the vault?

You have vault games("Free Games" similar to PS+)And then you have retail games. Every EA game that goes up(retail), you get a chance to play it before release for 6hrs maxed. And whatever progress you earn, it will transfer to your full purchase of your game. If you like said game, you get to buy it for 10% off digital. That's how it works.

jWILL253

Banned
I'll explain it for those who don't get it:

1. Whether it's the full game on a time limit, or a vertical slice, it's still a demo by definition.

2. 6 hours is not enough time to get a feel for ANY game, let alone a sports game. A game usually has more than one mode. So, if this were Battlefield we were talking about, then a 6 hr time limit would only be enough time to cover the campaign, assuming you never die while playing. But there's still the other modes to consider.

Sports games have more than just quick play modes. You have franchise/association modes, practice modes, roster editing, online play, etc. Not too mention even a single game of Madden with 5 minute quarters can take over an hour to complete, with all the timeouts, breaks and stoppages that can all occur in a game. And that's assuming you don't end up going to overtime.

3. For those who keep posting that screencap, saying "for a limited time" is not the same as saying "for 6 hours across 5 days".

4. Comparing this to the PS+ timed trials is not really beneficial to the discussion; A better comparison is EA Season Ticket. In that now-defunct program, you got to play the game for an unlimited time frame within the early access window. The "Access" version of this version of early access is a regression from how it used to be.

Hopefully, people will read this post before going "lol why is everyone outraged?"

danielcw

2. 6 hours is not enough time to get a feel for ANY game, let alone a sports game. A game usually has more than one mode. So, if this were Battlefield we were talking about, then a 6 hr time limit would only be enough time to cover the campaign, assuming you never die while playing. But there's still the other modes to consider.

Sports games have more than just quick play modes. You have franchise/association modes, practice modes, roster editing, online play, etc. Not too mention even a single game of Madden with 5 minute quarters can take over an hour to complete, with all the timeouts, breaks and stoppages that can all occur in a game. And that's assuming you don't end up going to overtime.

I totally disagree here.
6 hours can be more than enough to get a feel for a game.

In your Battlefield 4 example, there is no need to finish the campaign, to get a "feel" for it.
If you want to play multiplayer, even 2 hour is more than enough to do various matches on various maps.

If you see the 6 hours as demo, it should be more than enough to judge a game.
If you see the 6 hours as part of a game you want to buy anyway,
you get 6 hours for free, of a game you want to buy anyway.

I fail to see the loss or problem here.

Ason

I think the ones that paid specifically for the early access is not going to get their money's worth. That's maybe a dozen matches if you're lucky? Even without a 6 hour early access limit, I just don't see the value in EA Access. The digital discounts and the free older sports library kind of work against each other. If you're going for value it can be found at the bottom of the instore bargain bins; if you're the 'Day 1' type of person the 10% off is quite paltry considering how you won't be able to trade in the digital copy. One thing that nags at me in particular is how some folks use the excuse, "well I sold Madden 25 for X dollars therefore I only spent 30 - X amount of money"- where the funds come from to finance the subscription shouldn't matter.
In the end I believe the program has some merits if the buyer is going to take full advantage of the free game library, and stays away from making additional purchases through EA Access. But I suppose that's EA's plan all along right? Making you feel invested so you'll continue to spend money with them on a regular basis.

Ofcourse it matter, because Madden 25 is a Vault game.

They sell their copy of Madden 25, go straight home, put the money they just got into a subscription and download Madden 25 and have access to it as long as they have an EA Access-subscription.

If people get good value out of EA Access, or not, differ from person to person. Just because you don't think you get good value, doesn't mean that apply to everyone else, does it?

Take me as an exampel, to me EA Access is a great deal. I've been looking to get BF4 cheap for a while, only interested to play through the SP Campaign, so I've been waiting for the price to drop. Bought 12 months/£20 day one. Now I got my BF4, even if I don't subscribe after a year, I have plenty of time to finish BF4. Im 100% sure I will buy FIFA 15 and NHL 15 digitally day one, not sure about Dragon Age, but there is a good chance I get that also.

I now have my BF4, will get 10% discount on FIFA, NHL and possible DA if I decide to get it. I will get access to the full version of those games a few days before release, albeit limited time, that doesn't concern me, I see it as a bonus, not the reason I got EA Access. Achievements and saves will stay and carry over when I buy the game.

On top of that I have access to whatever games they put in the Vault the next 12 months, and once a game make it into the Vault, it will stay there and never be taken away (Looking at you Need for Speed). Plus, I will get 10% on a whole bunch of EA games and their DLS's.

All for £20! And people come here trying to tell me its a bad deal? For me and many others it sure isn't!

And lets for the sake of it, pretend I had a disc copy of BF4, sold it and put the money into my 12 months subscription... I would probobly, in worst case scenario, break even, probobly even have a few pennies over, and still be able to play BF4.

Sony's HQ right now:

kaz_hirai_platanos.gif

blazeuk

6 hours sounds fine to me, I wouldn't say no to longer but I don't play that many demo's and I wasn't expecting anything more anyway, usually these types of things result in you being able to play 1 game type with a choice of 2 teams and don't let you change or look at anything else, instead I get access to the full game and get to play for 6 hours. I'm sure I'll be able to determine if I actually want to buy a game or not in that time.

Sony's HQ right now:

kaz_hirai_platanos.gif

They should probably be trying to bring Psnow pricing in line with the much more attractive EA offer instead of playing with bananas :p

One of the biggest publishers in the world and their biggest rival having this close relationship together can't feel good.

Strange considering there is no way to try out Madden earlier on thier console at all.

You think people on PS4 are going to run out and buy a xbox one for 6 hours of playtime?

Not too mention pay for EA access and xboxlive?

I think I can live with waiting. (I own both consoles but don't have EA access)

Amir0x

Banned
Man. It is remarkable how many people still want to subscribe to this. After this news, incrementally more amazing. But knock this news off the table and we don't even need to consider it, forget it even exists... and still wow. We're talking the dudes who published (or is publishing) the Fucked Sim City, Sims 4 mess, Dungeon Keeper, Machinima ad buy scandal, online passes, and a hundred other devious schemes and underhanded shit they did to try to ream gamers painfully.

I really am fascinated by how this whole thing is playing out. Like a trainwreck you know is coming and you have no way to stop it so you just sit there, mesmerized. Mouth agape, horrified.

We gamers clearly hate learning from history. Gotta keep burning our hands.

Man. It is remarkable how many people still want to subscribe to this. After this news, incrementally more amazing. But knock this news off the table and we don't even need to consider it, forget it even exists... and still wow. We're talking the dudes who published (or is publishing) the Fucked Sim City, Sims 4 mess, Dungeon Keeper, Machinima ad buy scandal, online passes, and a hundred other devious schemes and underhanded shit they did to try to ream gamers painfully.

I really am fascinated by how this whole thing is playing out. Like a trainwreck you know is coming and you have no way to stop it so you just sit there, mesmerized. Mouth agape, horrified.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Read the NHL15 no EASHL mode thread for further proof.

You think people on PS4 are going to run out and buy a xbox one for 6 hours of playtime?

I don't think you need Xbox live do you?

People always recycle this straw man with every single exclusive game or feature announced EVER.

"you think people will buy an Xbox for exclusive tomb raider/titanfall/any exclusive game ever?"
"you think people will buy an Xbox for unprecedented console DLNA support?"
"you think people will buy an Xbox for a suspend/resume feature"

You don't buy a cake for the icing, it's just a nice little extra that makes the purchase more enjoyable.

It's adding value, nothing is being taken away by having this service. For those that don't have a next gen console yet it would definitely be something to consider, even more so if they are big FIFA/madden fans. Those games are kinda popular last time I checked. Plus of course you get cheaper dlc and a reduced digital copy price with EA access, it practically pays for itself.

But yeah, evil EA and all that stuff!

You don't seem to understand my point, I don't remember the last time madden didn't have a demo. So in order to demo the game this year, you have to pay to demo the game. They're are putting the demo behind a paywall, that is simply not debatable.

I'll explain it for those who don't get it:

I really can't tell if this post is an elaborate troll.

The EA early access has never been advertised as anything besides a limited time demo.
6 hours is completely enough time to evaluate if you want to buy a game. Expecting to be able to beat a full campaign for free before release date is beyond ridiculous.

Eh. The length isn't that much of a issue.

But why would anyone like this over a traditional demo? Especially since you have to pay? That's the shit that's bugging. I'm not going to sign up to try demos.

PhatSaqs

Banned
You don't seem to understand my point, I don't remember the last time madden didn't have a demo. So in order to demo the game this year, you have to pay to demo the game. They're are putting the demo behind a paywall, that is simply not debatable.
No. There is no demo.

El_Chino

I don't get what the big deal is. I think it's fair they're giving you 6 hours of Gameplay before you decide to drop $60 on the game. There's no demo in console history that's 6 hours long. So can we stop calling it a demo?

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think you need Xbox live do you?

I think they said you still do if you want to play the games online, I think.

JaggedSac said:
Do people really spend so much time concerned about $30?

Money has different value for different people, depending on their income?

And please don't say that if they're too poor they shouldn't have an XBO in the first place.

JaggedSac

Money has different value for different people, depending on their income?

And please don't say that if they're too poor they shouldn't have an XBO in the first place.

lol, nope, I would say spend it on something you have no doubts about. If someone is worried at all about something they are spending their money on, they should probably re-evaluate their possible purchases and go for one they are more sure about. EA Access is pretty cut and dry on what it is. The details are laid bare.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why are so many upset?

Early access is just one part of EA access. 6 hours? Most games can be clocked in 6 hours. I don't see the issue.

They only ever said you'd get to try the game early. You can still then buy it for 10% off.

pixlexic

Banned

and what exactly is THIS news?

This whole thread is filled with people who think/thought this is about early game releases when it was always about early game trials.

Always..

Ason

I think I can live with waiting. (I own both consoles but don't have EA access)

No I don't. (I also own both consoles, if that makes any diffrence)

Where in my post did I say anything remotely close to that? lol

Just don't see a point for them to cheer because of this.

jWILL253

Banned
I really can't tell if this post is an elaborate troll.

The EA early access has never been advertised as anything besides a limited time demo.
6 hours is completely enough time to evaluate if you want to buy a game. Expecting to be able to beat a full campaign for free before release date is beyond ridiculous.

Can you explain why they downgraded from unlimited play within the early access window in the Season Ticket program, to 6 hours in EA Access?

A real, proper response please. Not just writing me off as a troll in an attempt to delegitimize my concern and the concerns of others...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i feel as though i could understand the fumes over ea access more if it was like...$15 a month...and you could only buy it a year at a time...and you were forced into it...

but for $5 a month you could be subscribed for the best part of a year and still have given ea less than the price of a single retail title

now it's evil because you only get 6 hours of a title before it officially releases? vs. the...zero hours you get with xblg and ps+?

EA are awful, but i don't get what everyone is losing their shit over

[edit] help, not me not seeing that you used to get unlimited time with the season pass. okay that's kind of lame.

KingJ2002

Very true... and because of those incidents i tend to stay away from many EA titles. This Access deal is another anti-consumer package wrapped up in a bow that has "Value!" bedazzled all over the box.

I hope people catch on quick with this scam. 5 bucks a month for a 10 dollar discount on digital titiles, access to their greatest hits collection, and timed demoes?

there's no real value here. your paying for marketing promotions

Top Bottom